Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Binge eating.

edited December 2011 in Diet & Habits
If that's what you'll call it, excessive eating. If I see food, or think that it's okay to have some, I eat it all if plenty's in sight. It's like clearing your plate, to me. I rarely toss anyrhing, so I just... stuff myself. Any advice on killing gluttony?

Comments

• It's a habit or an attachment. Or maybe a little compulsive. Can you think of any possible emotional issues that might be behind it? If so, address those. I believe in getting to the root of a problem.
  • I am an overeater. My personal experiences finally led me to realize that there were some pretty strong emotions being suppressed when I was eating (bingeing). If you think it might be emotional eating (even just eating from boredom) then you might want to examine that a bit. I kept a journal that I recorded my feelings before, during, and after eating each time I ate, even just a snack. It was eye-opening!
    Patience, love, and self-acceptance are my tools to combat my old habits here. My first suggestion would be to try to start replacing terms like "killing gluttony," with, "discovering new ways." Be really nice to yourself.
  • edited December 2011
    What sorts of foods are you the most 'attracted' to?
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    Celexa (anti-depressant) can cause this compulsion. Yes, of all things... leading to more problems!
  • I have the same issues, but I am making progress by being mindful.

If you are being mindful of your actions, you will have the opportunity to ask yourself at the beginning of the craving if you really need to eat stuff, instead of kicking yourself after the cravings have been satisfied... much easier said than done, but with practice I feel that I'm making progress.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    If someone grows up with something of a troubled family life sometimes dinner time or snacks are one of few positive experiences. So in present day life binge eating can be a way to have some positive experience in your life.

Try adjusting portion sizes if you can. One thing I found very helpful for myself is simply to be disciplined when shopping. That way you only have to summon willpower for 1 hour a week instead of trying to resist just walking to the kitchen all the time.

• I had a friend who grew up in a troubled/poor family. She really turned to food until someone taught her how to eat. I have low blood sugar so snacking is a big thing. When I am snacking alot I find that things like popcorn where I concentrate on each little kernal is a way to slow down and appreciate it. What works better is a handful of almonds or a peice of cheese, prepackaged like a cheese stick tends to keep it reasonable.

Oh yeah, smaller bowls/plates. Simple but a huge difference. My parents eat ice cream out of the dishes you use for sauces at the table. If I am not very hungry I put dinner on a salad plate. If you can't cook less then put part of it aside specifically for lunch the next day or a snack.
  • Hi Bodhgaya,

I'm a recovered alcoholic in Alcoholics Anonymous which has a 12 Step program. There is also an organisation called Overeaters Anonymous which works along the same principles that I have a friend whose a member of it (he's a member of A.A. and O.A.).

Food can be used as a drug for some people to change the way you feel. If you feel anxious, restless, irritable, and discontented and then you stuff yourself with food, maybe you'll feel less anxious?

So, if this is the case, you're using food like a drug. However the food is just a symptom of the real problem which is the anxiousness, restless, irritability, and discontentedness.

I believe a Buddhist practise could help with that, particularly the ethical life (it'll give some peace) and meditation; meditation is used by most recovery programs as a part to play in relapse prevention.

Just my thoughts; I'm not implying anything; I don't know you or your situation.
  • I struggle with eating right and have found the best way for me to be mindful of what I am eating is to keep a food log. It's kind of a pain until it becomes habit, but having to write down "6 cookies" after eating a big meal makes me think twice. Good luck.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Put your fork down between mouthfuls.
    Do not put food in your mouth while the remnants of the last mouthful can still be detected.
    chew your food until you cannot tell, from the feel of food in your mouth, what that particle of food was. (in other words, if you're eating broccoli stem, and it still feels a bit like broccoli stem as you swallow it - you haven't chewed it sufficiently.)
    Do not watch tv while eating.
    Drink water with your meal, mixed with one teaspoonful of honey, and one teaspoonful of cider vinegar.

these will help.
  • Drink water with your meal, mixed with one teaspoonful of honey, and one teaspoonful of cider vinegar.

these will help.
    What does this do? Is it to fill you up, or is it some kind of digestive aid?

• edited December 2011
    Have there been changes in your life recently? Any changes to your health, or your situation?

I was dangerously underweight because every time I ate I was sick, so I stopped eating. When we discovered I had celiac disease and I went gluten-free, I turned into a major glutton - I ate everything I could, whenever I wanted, because EATING turned into a joyful activity instead of something to fear.

Motivation for eating is a big deal, I think.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Drink water with your meal, mixed with one teaspoonful of honey, and one teaspoonful of cider vinegar.

these will help.
    What does this do? Is it to fill you up, or is it some kind of digestive aid?
    cider vinegar helps to break down the fat compounds in foods and makes it easier for the liver to process them.
    In the liver cleansing diet, if you need to clear gallstones, it recommends 1 litre of apple juice per day, for a week.
    "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" has a lot of good sense to it....

http://www.pureinsideout.com/apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.html

http://www.liverdoctor.com/index.php?page=liver-problems&subpage=gall-bladder

(this last one is long....scroll down to 'natural treatments')

• I think many of these suggestions are only treating the symptom of the problem; the eating; they're not tackling the root cause.

Remember, feelings condition intention which creates action, which in this case is the eating; so by purely tackling the symptom (the eating), this is leaving the feeling part just the same. And if we're feeling bad enough, at some stage we'll repeat the same negative behaviour which we think relieves that problem.

Am I making sense?

I agree with you Tosh, but I guess it has to start somewhere - and why not tackle it from both ends?
    Begin to eat sensibly and mindfully, following the physical practices recommended - but simultaneously, address your relationship with food, eating, and the original source of the increased desire to eat....
  • What sorts of foods are you the most 'attracted' to?

Any foods, really. Sweets especially. I have had a bit of an eating problem for about a year, before though I didn't eat at all then I suddenly started to eat and eventually I ate a lot, a lot.
  • Hi Bodhgaya,

I'm a recovered alcoholic in Alcoholics Anonymous which has a 12 Step program. There is also an organisation called Overeaters Anonymous which works along the same principles that I have a friend whose a member of it (he's a member of A.A. and O.A.).

Food can be used as a drug for some people to change the way you feel. If you feel anxious, restless, irritable, and discontented and then you stuff yourself with food, maybe you'll feel less anxious?

So, if this is the case, you're using food like a drug. However the food is just a symptom of the real problem which is the anxiousness, restless, irritability, and discontentedness.

I believe a Buddhist practise could help with that, particularly the ethical life (it'll give some peace) and meditation; meditation is used by most recovery programs as a part to play in relapse prevention.

Just my thoughts; I'm not implying anything; I don't know you or your situation.
    I could totally see where you are coming from. I do normally feel discontent so I could see this. I am/was heavily into drug usage, but I am not so more. I do use and am quitting, so I suppose that when I do few discontent and normally turn to drugs, I could be doing that with food as well.

• possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    Maybe you should study nutrition. Once you understand how the body works, what kind of food we need, how much, what we don't need, what is downright dangerous, you might make choices based on knowledge, and not give in to cravings.
    Taking an interest in studying this important field might actually give you something to DO that fills the time that normally makes you
    unhappy/dissatisfied and will give you a goal.

Changing habits works best when you really know why, not just following an vague idea and inclination.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    As I have reached my early 60s with a few health issues, I still struggle with eating. Recently I've begun to attempt to remind myself (in regard to eating) "live or die". It doesn't mean that I don't eat junk food or don't overeat, but it does remind to be more mindful about what I am eating and how much I am eating. It's a small step, but it matters a lot more the older you get.
  • I understand that. I do struggle between eating too much or not enough. It's been an on going problem for some time. I struggle with my image of my self, externally and internally so to speak. So I cannot say exactly what and why I am doing, but I know I am doing something.