Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How important are the 5 Precepts, Really?

Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
edited December 2011 in Buddhism Basics
In Buddah's teaching are the precepts bendable? Were people able to follow just some of the precepts? Were some precepts more important than others? Can a person still be buddhist and continually break certain precepts?

How about penalties? Were people dealt with harshly during the Buddah's time? Were they executed or banished from the sangha?

Just curious how important the precepts really were and are today. As we know, in some countries people are still executed for drinking alcohol.

Namaste

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    There is no direct equivalent to excommunication in Buddhism. However, in the Theravadan monastic community monks can be expelled from monasteries for heresy and/or other acts. In addition, the monks (*I believe monks from all traditions*) have four vows, called the four defeats, which are abstaining from sexual intercourse, stealing, murder, and refraining from lying about spiritual gains (e.g., having special power or ability to perform miracles). If even one is broken, the monk is automatically a layman again and can never become a monk in his or her current life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excommunication#Buddhism

The lay precepts aren't rules that you'll be punished for breaking. They are a helpful guide to aid in purifying our minds. An ethically troubled mind has a harder time developing concetration and gaining insight. One can only take one or a few of the vows if they want.

We've had discussions here before about the flexibility of the precepts. For example lieing to protect a Jewish family in nazi Germany. And here is one of the secondary bodhisattva vows:

11. not committing one of the seven negative actions of body, speech and mind when universal love and compassion deem it necessary in the particular instance

I don't know about the historical time of the Buddha.
  • i believe the 5 precepts are a gross guide to not accumulating negative karma... so it terms of the Buddhist path, they are of utmost importance.
  • ethical conduct conditions a healthy mind which allows for concentration and wisdom.
    but ethical conduct is a means to achieve wisdom. thus once wisdom is attained ethical conduct is no long grasped onto.
    but ethical conduct ironically is how the natural way functions.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Keeping the precepts just means coping with the fact that we cannot keep the precepts. As the Japanese say, fall down seven times, get up eight.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    In Buddah's teaching are the precepts bendable? Were people able to follow just some of the precepts? Were some precepts more important than others? Can a person still be buddhist and continually break certain precepts?

How about penalties? Were people dealt with harshly during the Buddah's time? Were they executed or banished from the sangha?

Just curious how important the precepts really were and are today. As we know, in some countries people are still executed for drinking alcohol.

Namaste
    Depends what you mean by "bendable"? Some people follow just some of the precepts yes. Some are more important than others yes. Non-killing is the most important of all. A person can still be Buddhist if they continually break some yes, they will just cause more bad karma for themselves and thus impede their own progress along the path. The penalties for breaking them come in the form of "bad karma". The precepts are just as important today as they ever were because the process of cause and effect is still the same. The penalties really don't come from "other people" but rather from the process of cause and effect.

• In Buddah's teaching are the precepts bendable? Were people able to follow just some of the precepts? Were some precepts more important than others? Can a person still be buddhist and continually break certain precepts?

Namaste
    Depends what you mean by "bendable"? Some people follow just some of the precepts yes. Some are more important than others yes. Non-killing is the most important of all. A person can still be Buddhist if they continually break some yes, they will just cause more bad karma for themselves and thus impede their own progress along the path. The penalties for breaking them come in the form of "bad karma". The precepts are just as important today as they ever were because the process of cause and effect is still the same. The penalties really don't come from "other people" but rather from the process of cause and effect.

Thank You. I have been unable to find information to this point where the Buddha has listed the precepts in order of their importance. Could you point me in the right direction please.

Namaste

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I'd say they're fairly important.

Sila or virtue is taught by the Buddha as the foundation of the practice, especially in regard to meditation. Virtue helps to provide the meditator with a mind that's free from remorse, and a mind that's free from remorse is better able to develop deep states of concentration, which are difficult to develop when the mind is consistently worried or agitated (AN 11.2). The training of virtue is best known by the five precepts:
    1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.

2. Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    I undertake the precept to refrain from taking that which is not given.

3. Kamesu micchacara veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual misconduct.

4. Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    I undertake the precept to refrain from incorrect speech.

5. Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.
    The five precepts are the basic training rules all Buddhists are encouraged to observe to the best of their ability, and are based on the principle of harmlessness (ahimsa) and renouncing unskillful behaviours that cause other beings harm and provoke retaliation. They constitute the basic level of virtue the Buddha advises is necessary for the peace of mind conducive to a successful meditation practice, and they are seen as gifts "that are not open to suspicion, will never be open to suspicion, and are unfaulted by knowledgeable contemplatives & priests" (AN 8.39).

In the context of the eightfold path, this also includes right speech, right action and right livelihood, which are the factors classified under the division of virtue. Without this solid base of virtue, it's extremely difficult to achieve a sufficient state of mental calm and absorption. (Believe me, it's hard to meditate when you've done a lot of things you regret; they're the first things that pop up when the mind starts to get quiet.)

That said, it should be made clear that the precepts aren't equivalent to commandments in that they're training rules that are voluntarily undertaken rather than edicts or commands dictated by a higher power and/or authority, and there's no sort of Buddhist excommunication for breaking them. In essence, these precepts are undertaken to protect oneself, as well as others, from the results of unskillful actions (which in and of itself is important), and to help make our practice as fruitful as possible.
  • Keeping the precepts just means coping with the fact that we cannot keep the precepts. As the Japanese say, fall down seven times, get up eight.
    Ahh yes, that is different than saying you think you can't do it and they are stupid anyway. It is challenging to keep trying and accept the failure without being crushed by it, and then accept the precepts are good and keep going.
  • I believe the precepts can also help someone understand the purpose of purifying the mind. If you are someone who keeps to the precepts, you can see the benefits of keeping to them and also notice the issues that arises for not having any. Keeping to the precepts alone may not help purify the mind, but you can at least feel grateful that you are not a victim of your own defiled mind. The precepts are like good advices...if you follow them you will have a better chance in keeping your mind at ease. A mind that is clouded with defilement will not be able to keep precepts.
  • jlljll Veteran
    very important. if you cant even keep the 5 precepts,
    good luck to you on your spiritual journey.
  • Its interesting how we tend to think that buddhism is different that any other discipline. A pupil never refuses to learn the alphabet before learning to read, yet here its often discussed this or any other simmilar matters. I guess its because buddhism is somehow abstract and we dont actually see to what place our actions are leading us. As the Buddha said: "this dhamma is for someone how sees, not for someone who does not see".If that doesnt work we could go out of faith for the practice, thinking "there are people who knows about this matters, so i could just do what they do, and later, after doing it, check if it worked or not.".

With metta.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Its interesting how we tend to think that buddhism is different that any other discipline. A pupil never refuses to learn the alphabet before learning to read...
    good point, well put....

• The precepts are as important as you make them. Just as they were as important to the ones who came up with them as having some value.

Since @Newtech used the school analogy I will follow suit. In gaining an education do you strive for good grades and understanding? Or passing grades for having merely tried? We are all pupils in the school of Buddhism, and the school of life. Some of will be brilliant, and others mediocre. We all have a choice.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited December 2011
    “When the Great Tao (Way or Method) ceased to be observed,
    benevolence and righteousness came into vogue.”
    (Lao Tzu)

The precepts are a substitute for what we really should have: an open heart, a simple life and a natural inclination not to do harm.
  • “When the Great Tao (Way or Method) ceased to be observed,
    benevolence and righteousness came into vogue.”
    (Lao Tzu)

The precepts are a substitute for what we really should have: an open heart, a simple life and a natural inclination not to do harm.
    This is so great, especially considering the day and the season. What a great message!

• 1. Do not kill
    2. Do not steal
    3. Do not indulge in sexual misconduct
    4. Do not make false speech
    5. Do not take intoxicants
    Those are the rules...
    But of course, there will always be those inclined to regard rules as merely "guidelines:"
  • jlljll Veteran
    Then why dont you come up with a few that
    are important to you?
    and try to keep them....
    The precepts are as important as you make them. Just as they were as important to the ones who came up with them as having some value.

Since @Newtech used the school analogy I will follow suit. In gaining an education do you strive for good grades and understanding? Or passing grades for having merely tried? We are all pupils in the school of Buddhism, and the school of life. Some of will be brilliant, and others mediocre. We all have a choice.
  • jlljll Veteran
    edited December 2011
    What the Buddha said about breaking the 1st precept.
    'One who kills & harms goes either to hell or will be short-lived elsewhere.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    source of quotation, please, @jll.
    Posts declaring what the Buddha said, have to be backed up with a link.
    Thanks.
    (Not that I am casting doubt on the veracity of your post. It's just the done thing to quote sources.)

What many forget is that the 5 precepts are not Buddhist.
    There is nothing within them that declares them to be Buddhist privilege or property.
    (The same could indeed be said for the 4NT and the 8Fold Path.... The Buddha wasn't Buddhist, remember....)

So, in that light, if you merely decide that they seem to be a relatively sound list of caveats regarding general ethics - how important would you consider them to be for you to adhere to, going about your general daily life, from day to day, amongst your fellow men.....?
  • source of quotation, please, @jll.
    Thanks.
    (Not that I am casting doubt on the veracity of your post. It's just the done thing to quote sources.)

There is nothing within them that declares them to be Buddhist privilege or property.
    (The same could indeed be said for the 4NT and the 8Fold Path.... The Buddha wasn't Buddhist, remember....)

So, in that light, if you merely decide that they seem to be a relatively sound list of caveats regarding general ethics - how important would you consider them to be for you to adhere to, going about your general daily life, from day to day, amongst your fellow men.....?
    So from this point of view then, none of the Buddha's techings are buddhist as he was not a buddhist.

"A rose by any other name..." All semantics!!
    My point is, specifically in answer to the original question, that the buddha's teachings do not hold any dire warnings of damnation if we don't adhere to them, or special significant rewards if we do.

all work we put into following what the Buddha taught is done so because we find it logical, inarguable, flawless and commendable.
    The more deeply you investigate the Buddha's teachings and the Dhamma, the more concrete and rooted your practice becomes.

The Buddha was originally a high-caste individual, who also had to come to these conclusions, and explored them years before he finally became enlightened.
    his followers only followed him after that, not before....

So too, we must seek truth in the wisdom of the words handed to us, and realise that they apply to all, Buddhist and non-Buddhist alike.

• jlljll Veteran
    source, http://what-buddha-said.net/drops/II/Buddha_on_Kamma.htm
    source of quotation, please, @jll.
    Thanks.