Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New to buddhism... any advice?

edited December 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I just recently became Buddhist because it really works for me . I used to be Christian and then I was agnostic for a short period of time . Does anybody have any advice for me ? Also does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Pali Canon in english?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I suggest starting out with a consistent and simple meditation practice, 5 minutes every day is more effective than 2 hours once a week. Then just start reading buddhist books, get a beginners book to start and go from there. There's a lot to learn so don't expect to get everything in a matter of a few weeks or months.

The Pali Canon is really large, like 74,000 pages or something (don't quote me on that). Access to Insight, I understand, is a fairly comprehensive Therevadin resource.
  • Don't bite off more than you can chew, when you read about Buddhism. A common mistake newbies make, I've noticed here, is to read everything they can about it, and they OD on the more complex theories, and get overwhelmed and confused. Start with the basics (how many times have I read this advice here?), and stick with the basics for awhile.

The Pali Canon is available at a website called accesstoinsight, but trust me, you don't need that right now. Go to the bookstore and get an introductory book. Go to a used bookstore if money's an issue, or try Amazon. Good luck. Take it slow and easy. And yes to what person said: start with 5 minutes of meditation/day. When you get so that you're able to maintain focus on the breath for the entire 5 minutes without thoughts interrupting you, increase to 10 minutes.
  • Thanks for the advice
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Whatever your course, take your time.

Pay attention.

Take responsibility.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I just recently became Buddhist because it really works for me . I used to be Christian and then I was agnostic for a short period of time . Does anybody have any advice for me ? ...
    Reading this forum is a great way to learn about how other Buddhists think about various issues. BUT, take what you read here with a grain of salt...well more like a boulder of halite. Opinion here and on other such sites should ignite the thought processes in one's mind, but there's a huge difference between all of our various opinions and the actual teachings of Buddha. I nearly turned away from Buddhism because of a few people on this forum, before I learned to put their opinions and attacks in perspective.

• Not to loose/lax and not too heavy/tight
  • Visit your local sangha. Make some new friends that share you interest in Buddhism :)
  • Thanks everybody... And I don't think I live in a very Buddhist community so finding a sangha may be hard
  • Does anybody have any advice for me ?
    Don't take yourself too seriously. Life is short - enjoy the ride. Meditate. Be kind.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    When you get so that you're able to maintain focus on the breath for the entire 5 minutes without thoughts interrupting you, increase to 10 minutes.
    @Dakini Do you really mean that - NO THOUGHTS?

Here's what I read yesterday on Buddhistgeeks,com: Interview with a meditation teacher:
    "Yeah, I think it’s one of the most common misconceptions about meditation, that thoughts are a problem. That they’re something that need to be gotten rid of, ..."
    http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/2010/09/bg-187-non-meditation-and-the-nature-of-thought/

Monkey mind (thoughts jumping around while we meditate) - is something that we mention here a lot, and how we are meant to observe thoughts, and not engage in them..... Thoughts will occur.
    That's quite different from your approach of expecting a mind vaccuum. Beginning meditators will get frustrated if expected to eliminate thinking. How is that even possible for a beginner or even intermediate?
  • Mountains : Thank you for those thoughtful words

Possibilities: thank you very much for the link it did clear up a couple things.
  • PremaSagarPremaSagar Veteran
    edited January 2012
    I just recently became Buddhist because it really works for me . I used to be Christian and then I was agnostic for a short period of time . Does anybody have any advice for me ? Also does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Pali Canon in english?
    Buddhism is a religion of freedom and self-discovery so don't be afraid to question anything and everything that you find in the teachings. If you are considering practicing with a community keep in mind that thereare many traditions to choose from so do your research and once you've found a tradition you like find a sangha (community) of that tradition in your area and start visiting their center to get literature and one on one meditation instruction. Study the sutras and scriptures vigorously and meditate starting at 5 minutes minutes a day for a week. Add an extra 5 minutes for every week until you reach a routine of 2 hours per day.
    As far as studying the scriptures go start with the Dhammapada then the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta, start with the Theravada Suttas and memorize the many lists that the Buddha used in teaching then move on to the Mahayana Sutras starting with the Lotus Sutra.
    Every morning take refuge and undertake the 5 precepts once again to renew your conviction and faith and meditate as soon as you can after bathing. It's best to meditate on an empty stomach. Once you have become deep in meditation may also want to set up an altar dedicated to the Buddha as a visual reminder of the Dharma every morning.

A basic list of Buddhist lists can be found here
    http://www.leighb.com/listlist.htm

With much metta- PremaSagar
  • Oh and if your mind jumps around too much on the first few times of attempting to meditate that's normal. Just enjoy these thoughts like clouds and let them pass of without resisting them. Remain aware and observant.
  • Thanks premasagar.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    i have started reading Buddha's teachings for the last 3 weeks now. went to google and searched for Buddha's teachings. found some pdfs and started reading what Buddha taught. my advice will be to try to understand what Buddha taught - mainly the four noble truths and specially the first noble truth because if this is properly understood, then everything else will fall in place.
  • Oh and if your mind jumps around too much on the first few times of attempting to meditate that's normal. Just enjoy these thoughts like clouds and let them pass of without resisting them. Remain aware and observant.
    The first few times? I've been meditating for years and my monkey mind is still all over the place most of the time :)
  • Three slender, but power packed, volumes by the Dalai Lama, that form "The Library of Tibet", work wonders, "The Way To Freedom", "Awakening The Mind" and "The Joy of Living and Dying in Peace" helped me beyond words---I literally could not wait until I had a spare half hour to sit down for another reading session. There seem to be dozens of texts out there attributed to His Holiness, but these three are the nitty gritty and you will find yourself returning to them over and over again.

This is getting off your topic, surveying books authored by the Dalai Lama, but I think many of them are edited "feel good" texts meant to be read by everyone in general and nobody in particular---however, these particular three books are intended to be a the "core teachings". Even most public libraries stock them (my backwoods library system in South Carolina even had two of the three), and we have a Buddhist section (on Dewey Decimal system, they are at 294 on the shelf) that may include only like 9 books in the whole library!

I happen to love HH's literal belief in rebirth (the Bardo state, and negative or positive rebirth based on your accumulated Karma in this and prior lives), others take that with a grain of salt, but you can't go wrong, as a starting point, with these lovely, but slim, volumes.