Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A fellow student is attacked

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited January 2012 in Arts & Writings

Comments

• LincLincoln Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited January 2012
    During the telling, the student, who is of Asian descent, joked to break the tension: "Shouldn't they just assume we all know martial arts?" Sifu likewise joked, "When he started here, he was Jewish".
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Pretty amazing story. Thanks for sharing it.
  • I'm happy his okay. I can't understand why people do these things. I am afraid of going out down my street because of these sort of situations occurring. It's sad. I want to practice Akido which seem to suit me allot, I would feel more confident knowing at least if something did happen I would have some hope of defending myself. Maybe I should carry a rape alarm around with me. :P

Thank you for sharing Lincoln. :3
  • Did he file a police report? If not, why not? There may have been surveillance cameras that caught him fleeing, and an attacker with a broken arm wouldn't be hard to identify. Reporting the incident to the police could help spare others a similar fate.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    @compassionate_warrior He didn't mention it, and it was not an appropriate time to ask.
  • Thanks for sharing. Very good story. Glad to hear he's okay.

A friend of mine who has trained in martial arts for years and is an expert, had told me that the more he learned and the better the got at it, the more he understood that he shouldn't use it. I asked if he was being threaten or robbed, would he then use his martial arts skill to defend himself. He said no, he would rather run away.
  • A friend of mine who has trained in martial arts for years and is an expert, had told me that the more he learned and the better the got at it, the more he understood that he shouldn't use it. I asked if he was being threaten or robbed, would he then use his martial arts skill to defend himself. He said no, he would rather run away.
    This is a good point. Even if you have a high skill level, you can suddenly find yourself in over your head, as Lincoln's friend did. Running away is probably the best choice, then if you're pursued and trapped, you can use your skills to get out of the situation. Sometimes when we have fighting skills, it can cause us to overestimate ourselves, and get ourselves into worse trouble. A situation can get out of control instantaneously and unexpectedly.

• ZeroZero Veteran
    I'm happy his okay. I can't understand why people do these things. I am afraid of going out down my street because of these sort of situations occurring. It's sad. I want to practice Akido which seem to suit me allot, I would feel more confident knowing at least if something did happen I would have some hope of defending myself. Maybe I should carry a rape alarm around with me. :P

Thank you for sharing Lincoln. :3
    Its a tough world we live in - fights are unpredictable so no amount of training is certain of success - frequent training however will allow you to cope with your adrenalin response so you can act decisively.

I wouldnt bother with a rape alarm - noone responds to them - I hope youre never attacked but if you are youre better off shouting "Fire" - people respond to that more often...

Mixed martial arts are the best - I would recommend some form of cage fighting all in type form... you should practice boxing style punching, jujitsu grappling, taichi movement and groundwork for a minimum 2 years (once a week formal and 4 times a week additional home training on your own or with friend etc for 30 mins minimum) - once you reach that point then start something like Aikido as that will build on your foundation - the problem with 'traditional' martial arts is that you have to undergo years of pointless form and subservience before they teach you an effective technique... better to start with a mixed martial arts as they substitute tradition for pragmatism and once you understand how your body works more you will be able to pick up a more traditional style and incorporate it to your needs...

edited January 2012
    @Zero I couldn't disagree more, nor be more disappointed you chose to take that away from this story. I go to a very traditional school that starts with effective techniques from day one. Further, I don't see how you could read what I wrote without grasping the important role meditation played in it. To mistake respect for subservience is to misunderstand the art entirely. If my friend were a cage fighter, he'd have given up years ago due to injury or might've killed his attacker. Martial arts is a discipline of the mind and body. Cage fighting is not a martial art, it is sport.
  • I hope your friend is ok, Lincoln. I wonder what he has to say, looking back on the experience?

In a way, I find this thread a relief from the gun threads, where many people believe the solution to violence is to carry a gun. I notice no one here is saying they need to get a gun. Some aren't even talking about the need to buff up their skills, but about avoiding violence entirely, and taking evasive action. This is a welcome tonic from the "more guns = more safety" view.

Good thread. :)
    edited January 2012
    I wonder what he has to say, looking back on the experience?
    He was extremely grateful for practice. He said the event hadn't changed his outlook on life because he was already focused on the moment from daily meditation. He reiterated the basic principles of our dojo and how they had helped him and now applied to what he was going thru (the five ways to become a martial artist: patience, perseverance, practice hard, practice exactly what you want to perform, and meditation).

• Lincoln, what martial art do you/he practice?

Brazilian jujitsu has become very popular now, but in the case of a guy with a knife, I would think it's a liability (at least in its pure form)-- clenching is second nature to these guys and that can quickly get you stabbed.

I remember watching an episode of "Human Weapon" where they went to the Philippines and trained in knife fighting. The MMA/jujitsu guy kept clenching his opponent, who promptly stabbed him in the side, repeatedly.

In any case, nice to see that your friend is healthy.
    edited February 2012

Lincoln, what martial art do you/he practice?
    His teacher calls it 'zen martial arts,' which, and @Lincoln can correct me if I'm wrong, incorporates a number of styles including karate, kung-fu, and tai chi, along with an emphasis on meditation as an integral part of the practice.
    It primary incorporates Kung Fu, Aikido, and lately some Brazilian Jujitsu I think. Tai Chi is offered separately. Sifu began in Karate, so I imagine there's influence from it but I'm not clear if we use specific techniques from it.

@buddhajunkie It won't get you stabbed if what you lock up is the arm with the weapon :) I actually think the Aikido techniques that would be most useful here, but I'm speculating as I have no experience outside my current practice.
    It primary incorporates Kung Fu, Aikido, and lately some Brazilian Jujitsu I think. Tai Chi is offered separately. Sifu began in Karate, so I imagine there's influence from it but I'm not clear if we use specific techniques from it.
    Ah, gotcha.
  • @zero Thank you for the info but all I want is the ability to defend myself without harming me or the attacker as much as possible. I agree with Lincoln. If I were to be attacked, it would most likely be by a 14-16 year old boy. I don't want to punch him up! :p

I know there are techniques in Aikido that can disarm the person and restrain them, or at least a technique that can disable them for a couple of seconds, which is enough to run away. I have never been a fighter, but I will defend myself and others mindfully.

• Poor "attackers"..
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @Murasaki337 Whenever walking alone at night (or day depending on the area), I am typically clutching my pepper spray in my pocket. I realize that a lot of people say that it isn't as effective as some would have you believe, but I think in a pinch it could offer a few extra seconds for an escape. Plus, my neighbor has a pitbull that they apparently hate because they leave it outside all the time and it rushes the gate every time I leave my apartment. It most definitely would attack me if it could get out. Pepper spray can be used on animals as well.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    @Zero I couldn't disagree more, nor be more disappointed you chose to take that away from this story. I go to a very traditional school that starts with effective techniques from day one. Further, I don't see how you could read what I wrote without grasping the important role meditation played in it. To mistake respect for subservience is to misunderstand the art entirely. If my friend were a cage fighter, he'd have given up years ago due to injury or might've killed his attacker. Martial arts is a discipline of the mind and body. Cage fighting is not a martial art, it is sport.
    We have a different outlook on martial arts - I moved away from standard form some time ago... I train to deal with adrenalin and how to disable and / or escape as effectively and safely as possible - this does require a constant mindful state however meditation is not essential.

Our backgrounds may be different though... how long have you been training and where are you at?

Thus far I have trained in Kyokushinkaikan (3rd Dan black belt), taekwondo (2nd dan), Wadu-Ryu (1st dan), Judo (2nd dan), Jujitsu (1st dan), kung fu toa (black sash), yang cheng fu tai chi and I've been boxing for about 18 years...

I am usually training people for very highly violent situations such as security work, close protection and door work - the levels of violence we're talking about are staggering and the stakes are very high as usually the attacker is aiming to injure rather than for example to steal (with injury being a by product) so perhaps I am looking at it from not an everyday perspective...
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    @zero Thank you for the info but all I want is the ability to defend myself without harming me or the attacker as much as possible. I agree with Lincoln. If I were to be attacked, it would most likely be by a 14-16 year old boy. I don't want to punch him up! :p

I know there are techniques in Aikido that can disarm the person and restrain them, or at least a technique that can disable them for a couple of seconds, which is enough to run away. I have never been a fighter, but I will defend myself and others mindfully.

The difficulty is that fights are unpredictable and fluid - if you want to defend yourself effectively then there are no limits and you have to be very very quick in identifying, dealing with it and escaping... defending mindfully is a nice thought but carries considerable risk - It does depend on the level of threat you are faced with though - I have never had a fight from an argument or due to emotion or circumstance - however the direct articulated threat of a knife is a threat to life and, to me, the response is exactly that, a threat to life...
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    @Murasaki337 Whenever walking alone at night (or day depending on the area), I am typically clutching my pepper spray in my pocket. I realize that a lot of people say that it isn't as effective as some would have you believe, but I think in a pinch it could offer a few extra seconds for an escape. Plus, my neighbor has a pitbull that they apparently hate because they leave it outside all the time and it rushes the gate every time I leave my apartment. It most definitely would attack me if it could get out. Pepper spray can be used on animals as well.
    Pepper spray is very effective - from a distance in an open environment... if youre too close you will also hit yourself - hopefully you'll never be in such a situation - also it is not legal to carry it everywhere and if you use it when it is illegal you will be prosecuted... though I have heard from police officers that they treat women differently (i.e men carrying pepper spray are prosecuted but women are just cautioned)
  • It primary incorporates Kung Fu, Aikido, and lately some Brazilian Jujitsu I think. Tai Chi is offered separately. Sifu began in Karate, so I imagine there's influence from it but I'm not clear if we use specific techniques from it.

@buddhajunkie It won't get you stabbed if what you lock up is the arm with the weapon :) I actually think the Aikido techniques that would be most useful here, but I'm speculating as I have no experience outside my current practice.
    I think a Kung Fu/BJJ combo would be pretty awesome. You'd have your bases pretty much covered there.

As for a knife attack, while I'm sure highly trained Aikido guys could defend well, I think it's too high risk for most people who are even reasonably trained. Against a person with a knife I think a kick to the groin and eye strike should be the default option (combined with a block, if necessary). Of course, even these moves must be practiced til they are second nature.
  • Give em a little ferris bueler karate kick, know what I'm sayin'?

• ZeroZero Veteran
    That was on TV the other day - hilarious - still cracked me up seeing that moment!!
  • One of my Buddhist martial art teachers was a policeman. His techniques were fast, hard and direct. The last time I was involved in an altercation, I saw it coming and used little more than a relaxed smile. I am told I am a little scary when smiling . . . On the whole I would prefer to be beaten up, rather than hitting or hurting. However my body might have other inclinations . . . Please smile more . . . think of it as proactive defense :-)
  • Sometime one inviting bad karmic unknowingly not aware of. I think konfu monks of shaolin temple are more skilful in the true spirit of martial art.
  • If the goal is to prevent suffering, you are more likely to do this by maiming your mugger than by running away. I mean, big picture...

And bigger picture, of course we have to end capitalism, do paradise engineering, and mentor kids in the meantime.

I think it would be ideal if we could all carry some ayahuasca spray or blow darts, as that would be more likely to teach a lesson than pepper spray or maiming or running away.
  • @Joel Rosenblum I think attempts to "teach a lesson" through violence only reinforces violence... And the manner you slipped in your political beliefs were not too subtle... perhaps start a new thread on the evils of capitalism?
  • This discussion should not entail political views. It is about knowing yourself, knowing that life is indeed precious and we are not super-humans or endowed with strange powers. We are all ordinary people. I am a former Marine, trained for combat. I was confronted near my home by a young man brandishing a hand gun. I knew I could take him, but I knew it was not the proper way. I knew this without analyzing, without judging. Instead, I talked to him, even as I was handing him my watch and wedding ring. I touched his life through soft words of sincerity. He ultimately handed back the watch and ring. He departed telling me to be careful and safe. I was told many yeas ago by a martial arts instructor that the best fight is the one you don't. Yes, I could have had him on the ground before he had time to react, but it was not time for battle. Instead, I honored his life and mine.
    lobsterDharmaMcBum
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    VERY cool story, Lionduck! Welcome to our forum, welcome, indeedy!
  • Aikido is unfortunately TOO gentle in original form.That one chooses self-defense shows realistic compassion. If you do everything to avoid violence oneself and are compassionate consider this.What if a rapist or racist attacked you or an even kinder,gentler person was being attacked? Well using pepper spray is efficient and ethical,but if cracking the cervical vertebrae is needed--- don't hesitate.
    Thanks for not feeding the ''middle class'' notion of those for whom Jainism is better suited.In my defense practice I wear no belt,keep my ability fairly well hidden,and am long fused.I've noticed how hot tempered the non-practitioners are.Self-defense is the Zen art of not getting killed, and reducing fear of violence. I sit in meditation before JKD practice.
    It is very hard to be kind or even helpful if you are dead.The timid by existing force gentle compassionate people for protection.
  • You get stabbed , you don't get stabbed, it's all samsara. Why all the fuss?
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    The world of the Dojag/Dojo are vastly different from the world of humanity. This student has discovered that; he should be complimented on fullfiing the true mastery of the Martial arts are.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Has anybody here read Zen in the Martial Arts by Joe Hyams? He was lucky enough to score private lessons with Bruce Lee and when asked how he'd feel if he ever killed anyone Bruce said something like (and I'm purely going by memory here) "I'd be saddened at the loss of life but it wouldn't be my defence that killed him... It would be his attack"

As for the issue of non-violence, in my personal opinion, the way of the least harm is the ethical choice. I mean when looking at the big picture and not just the scene we can see in front of us. By not stopping this person we allow the chain of harm to continue. Running away may seem like the path of the least harm but what has happened is the attacker can now focus on somebody that maybe can't run away.

If I can stop somebody from hurting another I will. If somebody is coming at me, I prefer to do what @Lionduck did, however, that approach only works on some kinds of attackers and I would suggest learning how to defend.
    You get stabbed , you don't get stabbed, it's all samsara. Why all the fuss?
    Why bother doing anything?

Compassion? Bah! It's all empty and worthless!

:thumbsup:
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Compassion? Bah! It's all empty and worthless!
    :thumbsup:
    :D
  • A bursa 380 in the pocket is more effective than a rape alarm or peper spray,when a person is trying to hurt you with a knife or gun.

Peace and Love
  • Most of the responses here are caught in the illusion of needing to take (violent) action. ACIM teaches that in our defencelessness our safety lies. But many people in the US won't get that!

I have lived and travelled in many countries, and have been in dangerous situations, too, but have never ever been harmed. I try to observe non-violence in all areas, and always have a sense of being protected. I would never carry a weapon ... learn to overcome your fear (meditation is a great tool therein, too), and let your defencelessness keep you safe! :)
    lobster
  • Yea non violence worked great for rape victims,and my many friends in uganda.
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    Yea non violence worked great for rape victims,and my many friends in uganda.
    If we surrender completely, no one is going to harm us. As long as we have a 'fight' in us, there will be one in the opponent as well.
    edited July 2012
    It irritates me when the idea of non-violence is undermined by the drivel of pacifist extremists who are lucky enough to have never been attacked.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Non-violence ought to be a goal of everyone. But, Betaboy, your stance is unrealistic, as millions of rape and murder victims have found out.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Non-violence ought to be a goal of everyone. But, Betaboy, your stance is unrealistic, as millions of rape and murder victims have found out.
    http://www.trccmwar.ca/drupal/articles/fighting_back

From the article I linked - "In general, the studies found that strategies such as crying, pleading or reasoning were ineffective. Some studies even indicate that these strategies can cause increased chance of injury."

Non-violence is a cute theory, but rapists don't really care about it.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited July 2012
    The unfortunate reality of violence doesn't change the karmic effect of returning it, vs. not returning it.

Most people will return it if they have to, to survive. Most Buddhist streams of thought acknowledge this is acceptable in a social way; but acceptable doesn't mean no karmic consequence. It just means that, as with anything else, you make your choice and incur whatever karma results from it.

I've always been interested in the "aversion" tactics - it has been said (or used to be) that if you're helpless to do anything else, sometimes feigning sickness or extreme mental illness can cause enough hesitation in the attacker to give you one last shot at escape.

At any rate, fighting back is only safer if you have no chance to run; running is always safest (barring weird circumstances like trains and dropoffs, of course).
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    http://www.trccmwar.ca/drupal/articles/fighting_back

From the article I linked - "In general, the studies found that strategies such as crying, pleading or reasoning were ineffective. Some studies even indicate that these strategies can cause increased chance of injury."

Non-violence is a cute theory, but rapists don't really care about it.
    I think back to my time as a school administrator, and although getting beat-up in our school was extremely rare, the times it did happen, the kids who got beat up virtually never fought back. They were picked on because they were thought of being weak and not inclined to defend themselves.

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @Sile If the consequence is a non-raped body I think that I can live with that.

As for aversion tactics, some people say to defecate or urinate over yourself, I don't know of any studies that verify its effectiveness, though.
  • SileSile Veteran
    Human aversion is very powerful - even the most violent person can recoil at the thought of eating a worm, for example.

Definitely not advocating people sacrifice themselves, by the way. I've been lucky enough to be able to run from the few close scrapes in my life, but if cornered, I'm sure I'd do whatever it took to stay alive. It's not "me or karma" -- karma is just a natural law of whatever happens.

Sadly, samsaric life is full of what we consider to be misfortune, and karma is just the way our choices under unfortunate (or any) circumstances reverberate throughout samsaric life. If we like the outcome, we label it fortunate; if we don't like it, we label it unfortunate.
  • i've trained so much in fighting and martial arts...
    I understand it's uselesness now.
    I work out at the gym and practise yoga and meditation at home.
    Even tough I work as a security guard, I realise it's all about quickness and awereness rather then skill.
    If someone approaches me with a knife I just run.
    Heroes die first.
    Calmth and metta, now there is a force unbeatable.

:)
    DharmaMcBum
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    My 6th dan teacher when asked about how he'd deal with an armed adversary responded with the sage words of, attempt to talk the situation down, run like hell and if those options are not available, pick up a brick. After years of full contact sparing I realized as I was walking down a crowded Christmas street one day, that I was aware of every pedestrian's vulnerabilities who I passed. That was my last day I participated in martial arts training.
    DharmaMcBum

• I had something similar once in a physical confrontation...
    I saw every opening, everything I could do in that one split second to that person.
    The possibilities bursted into my mind all at once and I was able to pick one and act.
    I just pushed the person, opening a 'line' and walked it into freedom straight to the police station LOL.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    For me it's a choice. Sometimes I have to fight, others I can choose an out. But knowing that I have the ability to win in any case makes for a better outcome. :om: