Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A fellow student is attacked

2»

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I realized as I was walking down a crowded Christmas street one day, that I was aware of every pedestrian's vulnerabilities who I passed.
    I think that's a normal phase. It's just ego. You get past it eventually.
    But knowing that I have the ability to win in any case makes for a better outcome. :om:
    If you think you can "win" then you've got a long ways to go. :)
    edited July 2012
    i've trained so much in fighting and martial arts...
    I understand it's uselesness now.
    I work out at the gym and practise yoga and meditation at home.
    If you weren't meditating in the first place, how were you practicing martial arts? That's just fighting. Of course that's useless.
    If someone approaches me with a knife I just run.
    My teacher says the same thing. :) But sometimes you can't.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I realized as I was walking down a crowded Christmas street one day, that I was aware of every pedestrian's vulnerabilities who I passed.
    I think that's a normal phase. It's just ego. You get past it eventually.
    Where were you before I spent 38 years trying with this silly Zen!
    lobster
    Ha, I meant that particular hangup, not the entire ego. Good luck on that one. :D
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    i've trained so much in fighting and martial arts...
    I understand it's uselesness now.
    I work out at the gym and practise yoga and meditation at home.
    If you weren't meditating in the first place, how were you practicing martial arts? That's just fighting. Of course that's useless.
    That's why I had to leave Tae Kwon Do actually. My grand master was only teaching fighting. He is very good... At fighting.

He didn't like that I was Buddhist and would try to convert me to Christianity and one time I decided to have a couple of beers with him at his request and the conversation headed down a slippery slope.

He backed me into a corner and I was forced to tell him why I don't regard Christianity as following the teachings of Jesus. During that explaination I told him of the atrocities commited by the Church onto the natives of southern and northern America and how it was disgracful in my opinion to see so many Christian Aboriginals considering how the dogma was forced onto the people by threat of personal injury. My so called "master" then lost his cool. He stood up and said "David! So you want to fight me?". So I stood up and said "Sure... I'll even put my hands in my pockets... But I want you to look at our positions and ask yourself who's showing a better understanding of the teachings of Jesus!"

He sat back down and I studied for a while longer but decided his way is very not for me.

I didn't give up on martial arts completely but I so know what you mean between fighting and the martial arts.

It's extremely difficult and critical to find a great teacher.
  • yes i agree