Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do you describe Perseverance?

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited January 2012 in Arts & Writings
Margaret Wheatley is Author of: Leadership and the New Science and Turning to One Another

How do you describe perseverance?

"Perseverance is a capacity we develop to be able to stay for the long term and not lose our way.
It requires paying attention to what's possible, which includes realizing when we should withdraw,
let go or surrender.
It does'nt mean pushing ahead at all costs, but developing a level of awareness that lets us work
with all the circumstances and dynamics of any situation and
thereby develop wise action."

Very Buddha friendly definetion.

May I strive on with diligence in this life and....
any other life that gets thrown my way. --Vastminds :)

Lets fellowship on perseverance....quotes, thoughts,etc.

Comments

• Thoughts, Today I think perserverance kinda sucks, LOL.

I spent some time being very angry after things like not getting a teaching job and having the house foreclosed after thinking I was building equity. So I did not take care of many financial matters. I went to a counselor to deal with that and in the process discovered my brain issue which is being dealt with. So perserverance is going back, opening all the envelopes, taking care of things that were too stressful then and now are needing to be dealt with in order to move on, and putting all my writing time aside until I get this done (maybe this weekend but more likely one more weekend will be spent in paperwork to meet my beginning of February deadline)

In speaking to the quote, I did not push ahead at all costs to keep my house. It was obvious that I could spend every last dime of my emergency fund and still be foreclosed. However the long term is that these financial/paperwork matters will not go away unless I stick to the long haul and do them.

Then i know I will have the discipline to do the long haul and tell the stories that I want and need to tell.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I always tell my clients it's a vital component of the dog Behaviour programme:
    the Three 'Ps'...
    Practice, Patience and Perseverance.

would that apply to...um...say..... Buddhism?

Er...yes, I think so......

Anything that's really worth it, is worth applying the three P's to.....

:)
  • I work in juvenile detention. The "Three Ps" for us are Pee, Poop and Puke.
    Needless to say some days it takes a lot of perseverance to get through.
  • When i examine the suffering of those near me it motivates me to work hard on my practice.

When i examine the wonders of life near me it motivates me to work hard on my practice.

Perseverance is like an itch. If nothing is done about the itch it becomes bothersome. Previously this was bothersome but now all things have a sort of itch. With correct intention we help those around us by helping ourselves, vice versa.
  • Lady_AlisonLady_Alison Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Lmao
    I work in juvenile detention. The "Three Ps" for us are Pee, Poop and Puke.
    Needless to say some days it takes a lot of perseverance to get through.
  • When i examine the suffering of those near me it motivates me to work hard on my practice.

When i examine the wonders of life near me it motivates me to work hard on my practice.

Perseverance is like an itch. If nothing is done about the itch it becomes bothersome. Previously this was bothersome but now all things have a sort of itch. With correct intention we help those around us by helping ourselves, vice versa.
    Sounds to me your koala has fleas.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Steady persistence in adhering to a course of action, a belief, or a purpose.

Conscious perseverence requires an abstract self - this self may be placed at any point in a timeline - the self of the past influences the self of the future - in order to realise the future self, perseverance is employed.

But the moment is here spontaneously - no perseverence is required - without self, there is nothing to persevere towards.
  • Perseverence as described by author is having self. Buddha‘s perseverence is without boundary as it is in complete metta.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    When i examine the suffering of those near me it motivates me to work hard on my practice.

Sounds to me your koala has fleas.
    Sometimes, @Lady_Alison, Right (or measured, calculated) Speech, entails saying nothing, as appropriate.....Humour is wonderful, but has its place....

• @federica...sorry...i will control it or say nothing at all...i was trying to be funny.
  • @taiyaki ...sorry...

Does perseverence mean that there is a level of "positive" dissatisfaction?

Because there is an itch, or drive forward ?
  • Wherever I go I see suffering and happiness.

Both bring motivation.

Bodhicitta is a flea haha. More like a virus for the non-existent ego.
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited January 2012
    One mind, one focus, and expanding a single direction (as in all directions) outwards. This type of meditation theme will strengthen and build perseverance. Having a single focus is to be part of a single core, and not fall out into the outer layers.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    When i examine the suffering of those near me it motivates me to work hard on my practice.

Gratitude for that teaching.
    May I always scratch my itch for practice.

One mind, one focus, and expanding a single direction (as in all directions) outwards. This type of meditation theme will strengthen and build perseverance. Having a single focus is to be part of a single core, and not fall out into the outer layers.
    Ok, linking peseverance with meditation.....THAT took intent. :)
    I agree. This kind of meditation is taught by many mid-wives who deliver babies at home.
    Focus meditation and peseverance gets many of women thru natural child-birth. Breathing.....focus points....
    (I smell a new thread......)

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Perseverance: Do it anyway.