Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Change...but less.

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited January 2012 in Arts & Writings
@Lincoln, I know you said in a post one time that this is not a "certified teaching spot",Im para-phrasing, of course, but frankly...
the Daily Drops are the real deal.
Not to mention some of the heated bouts about some real advanced stuff on here...especially Science.
This NewBuddhist is religious. Buddha is my Refuge......

Everyone, please read a piece in..Forbes Magazine Jan, 16. Current Events.
"A Plea to Clergy". Describes changing in religion.
Diverse Religious references, and still hits home the practice of having a Refuge.

" A House of worship can offer refuge, serving as the place where one retreats for predictability.
but only if what happens there is predictable".

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2012/0116/current-events-religion-plea-to-clergy-amity-shlaes.html

I had posted this in a thread where the discussion had turned monastic/lay.
I agree with the statement that a new thread was probably the best move.
Please read and let me get a feel for where everyone here stands.
Thanks

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    What the article is talking about are the forms and traditions of a religion. These also exist in Buddhism in the particular traditions of the different sects. These outer forms though aren't very significant compared to the inner realizations that the teachings are pointing to. So in the transition of dharma to the west many if not all of the outer forms or 'predictability' can be modified or abandoned the important thing is that the inner realizations are carried forward.

For a westerner there isn't much tradition in the forms of Buddhism as most are new converts and there isn't much comfort in them.
  • The outer should not deviate from the teachings of inner realization. for instance the outer form of sangha, and offering of fruits, flowers and incense sticks. these are traditionally there without being altered due to its flawless representation of inner bliss. amitabha
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    @Vastminds Did you need me for something?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    (I think he was just patting you on the back.....:) )
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    This is true.
  • " A House of worship can offer refuge, serving as the place where one retreats for predictability.
    Change can be so... dissatisfying.
    " A House of worship can offer refuge, serving as the place where one retreats for predictability.
    HELLO! SOPA!

Correction for you: If you read the OP, Vastminds did not say that. It is from the article.
    Only reason why im responding to this bait is because of the legal issue.

• Oops, didn't mean to get SOPA all up on your case, Vastminds. Point is that change is inevitable and we best learn to live with it. :)
    Disclosure: This is right speech for me.
    If I need to de-rail on my own thread...I will.

My observation has shown that there is more talking than reading.
    1.Reading the OP.
    2.Reading reference material. Yours and others.
    3. Reading ALL threads on here, even "old" ones.
    Brian said...we are a reflection of the people here.

If the shoe fits, wear it. If it does'nt, don't.

These practices are not good for the group.

Not good for any group. Especially not a Buddhist group.

Back to the OP.....Those that like reading, discussing, and are ready for Brian's Grandma...please read the article.
    @person....your thoughts were "predictable".....and I loved every morsel. Thanks.
    Dont you go changing on me. :)

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited January 2012
    This is true.
    Well carry on then :vimp: