Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Zen by the Brush

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited January 2012 in Meditation
When it was clear that one of my children was leaning Zen, I searched everywhere for useable material.
Basic, Zen, Meditation.
Already did the sand raking. What else?
I started this with my child, (she went thru 2 sets)
Warning: It's good for all ages :)

Zen By The Brush
A Japanese Painting and Meditation Set
Relaxation Through Simple Zen Art

Myochi Nancy O'Hara

Comments

• Interesting. So what sort of drawing board comes with the set? And what sort of paint? The goodreads link doesn't really say much about it.

If you're looking for more ideas, I started my granddaughter on Bonsai trees. Actually, beginners lessons use indoor plants suitable for slow growth and pinching, etc. I started her on jade plants, and it doesn't take expensive or special tools, and we search local thrift stores for shallow containers. Don't fall for those sad things in plant sections of department stores. Those are already dead as a cut Xmas tree but don't show it yet. Make your own.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2012
    @Cinorjer...Thanks...will do the Bonsai tree idea. Have tried before. To no success. :)
    Ill keep practicing.

The set has this "cardboard" piece. Comes with one delicate brush. get a cup of water. The strokes stay on...like a recycled "etch a sketchyy"

The drawing teaches impermanence as well, because you see the drawing dry.

try this:
    Amazon
    Book Description
    Publication Date: October 1, 2003
    For centuries, Zen monks in Japan have used the traditions of ink painting and poetry to aid them in meditation and express their insights. Zen by the Brush offers modern readers a simple, quick, and fun way to relax with Zen art.
    The full-color book contains an introduction to the basics of brush painting and Zen meditation. Along with Zen writings and Japanese-style sumi-e illustrations to inspire you.

Zen by the Brush includes a special painting board and brush in a reusable storage case. Using plain water, readers paint their own sumi-e pictures. The ink-like image fades after a minute or two as it dries-simply part of the Zen practice of letting go.

• my kids are all artists of some sort, I saw the practice of it seeping in when they were totally focused on a project, outside of time and other concerns. My oldest had a 24 X 36 peice that was done in colored pencils. She spent over 30 hours just shading the background to uniformity.

Now dothey think this has anything to do with the mom talks about with buddhism and meditation, nope. Maybe someday
    BN.com has the set as well.
  • Here is my attempt. I used some basic brushes and cake paints and a watercolor pad...

Photobucket
  • Expressive, I can sense emotion and nature. Makes me thing of freshly turned earth.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited January 2012

If you're looking for more ideas, I started my granddaughter on Bonsai trees. Actually, beginners lessons use indoor plants suitable for slow growth and pinching, etc. I started her on jade plants, and it doesn't take expensive or special tools, and we search local thrift stores for shallow containers. Don't fall for those sad things in plant sections of department stores. Those are already dead as a cut Xmas tree but don't show it yet. Make your own.
    Very good advice. I highly recommend any member of the Fig (Ficus) family. They do very well indoors and are very hard to kill.

I'm personally still looking for a Ficus Religiosa to work on - the tree The Buddha sat under when he attained enlightenment.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Not sure if it's relevant or not, but here is an article I wrote a long time ago about my mediocre adventures in calligraphy.
    @genkaku....Thank-you for the article. Your story was a nice read.