Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lab-grown meat is first step to artificial hamburger.

Comments

• They produce meat by rearing animals...? its putting me off my lab-grown chicken...
  • Stem cells? So the Dutch don't have a problem with stem-cell research. I guess all the fundamentalist Christians are on this side of the Pond.
  • I doubt it will ever take off. If there's no incentive to replace "traditional" meat with the synthetic kind, it's unlikely to get anywhere outside the R + D. Neat though.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited February 2012
    I doubt it will ever take off. If there's no incentive to replace "traditional" meat with the synthetic kind, it's unlikely to get anywhere outside the R + D. Neat though.
    Good point. I can see a few things that would increase the incentive though. Increased water and fuel prices pushing up crop prices to the point that feeding an animal for meat becomes too expensive for most people. Global warming proves to be an issue and people want an alternative that doesn't produce so much methane. Antibiotic resistance reaches a crisis stage and we realize we can't use them to increase production of animals anymore, thus increasing the price.
  • Wow. I guess if there's no sentience, this could be a good thing, for sure...but, wow.

No brain means no pain sensation (I think?) so, if you could produce meat in the same way, basically, that algae crops are now produced, I think that would be great. No feed costs, no medicine costs...the staff necessary would be a fraction of that required for regular factory farming.

And of course the most important thing to me personally, no animal torture.
  • It's possible to create a new category of food just like organic food.
    I still wouldn't eat it if I am a vegetarian one day.
  • edited February 2012
    Very interesting. All this kind of stuff, including genetic research and the like, is very important for our future evolution, and I can only hope we can ward off moralistic fundamentalists who are trying to hold back this sort of progress.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Shades of Soylent Green.
  • Stem cells? So the Dutch don't have a problem with stem-cell research. I guess all the fundamentalist Christians are on this side of the Pond.
    Anything goes in Holland, and it seems to benefit them as well. This is an interesting move forward, however, GM crops have recently been found to increase the risks of cancer greatly, so I question how safe would it be to eat this meat?

I watched a short interview with a stem cell reserach scientist who was working with a company that are trying to create organs from stem cells for transplants etc. He said that the reality of this is about 10 years away, but before they want to send it out into the world, they want to make sure that these stem cells do not end up for example turning cancerous. I don't know, personally playing around with stuff like this is pioneering, and with pioneering comes mistakes, but it is essential I guess.
  • Seems like a big leap foreword if we ever want to colonize space. You can still get the protein you need and not have it be dehydrated or lose it's "flavor".
  • Mmm, muscle-strip pops.

o_0
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Wow. I guess if there's no sentience, this could be a good thing, for sure...but, wow.

No brain means no pain sensation (I think?) so, if you could produce meat in the same way, basically, that algae crops are now produced, I think that would be great. No feed costs, no medicine costs...the staff necessary would be a fraction of that required for regular factory farming.

And of course the most important thing to me personally, no animal torture.
    Those are really interesting points! Thank you! Didn't think of those things you outlined. You got me thinking!:)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Mmm, muscle-strip pops.

o_0
    Lol!
  • Science looks outside for solution of some problem it causes after implementing its new discovery from research. Human is a guinea pig for their testing ground and onwards development of another new research to solve the problem from its initial research and implementation.
  • Science looks outside for solution of some problem it causes after implementing its new discovery from research. Human is a guinea pig for their testing ground and onwards development of another new research to solve the problem from its initial research and implementation.
    I like this comment, but that does not account for all types of science. For example science which helped provide the first ever vaccine, or science for space exploration.