Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What healthy things do you do daily?

edited February 2012 in Diet & Habits
List things that you do daily that would be considered healthy. This might give others (who may be trying to figure out how to get healthy) some ideas. I'll start.

Each day I:
Drink AT LEAST one tall glass of whole milk for calcium
Stretch until I get as far down as I can go into my splits
Do at least thirty push-ups
Make sure I take the stairs instead of the elevators on my campus
Try to eat one serving of vegetables or fruit a day (although I haven't been doing too good on this one)

What about everyone else?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Drink lots of water.
    Meditate.
    At least 30 minutes of exercise. Even something light like taking a walk or doing tai chi.
  • Drink lots of water.
    Meditate.
    At least 30 minutes of exercise. Even something light like taking a walk or doing tai chi.
    Same here. Plus eat organic food.

• If the title was 'what healthy things do you try and do daily' mine would be to practice yoga for 30-60 minutes a day (which I do most days), eat at least 2 servings of fruit or vegetables (which I also do most days), meditate (which I don't do most days), and I guess communicate with people because wuthout that one may lose their mind.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I usually have a protein shake every day. I change up the fruits (strawberry, blueberry, pineapple), but it's always: banana, protein powder, green antioxidant powder, kefir, and filtered water.

I stretch every day, but I don't do yoga every day.

Drink a lot of water. Drink a lot of tea.

Take probiotics, spirulina, b12, a multi-vitamin(even if they are mostly useless), fish oil supplement.

I like to eat pretty healthy in general as I feel a lot better when I do, so a lot of veggies throughout the day. My vice is kimchi, but I guess that's quite healthy as well.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Kimchi - I found a spectacularly good website that gives you the recipe - it's brilliant, step-by-step illustrated and i can't wait to try it myself!

http://drbenkim.com/how-make-kim-chi.htm
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    I eat salad for lunch in summer, vegetable stew for lunch in winter. I eat as much as possible out of my own garden even if it is frozen (garden to freezer in about three to five minutes depending on washing time).
    Tea first thing without milk so I can absorb all those antioxidants.
    Meditation for twenty minutes before work and half an hour after work.
    Half an hour of Karate kata per day.
    I walk from town to work on weekdays and walk to the newsagents at weekends.
    I don't watch miserable television, just half an hour of news and an educational programme or a comedy per day.
  • Run three miles a day, wholesome food, one a day for women, yoga, meditation.

What Tom said about interaction with the outside world is important.
  • Yoga, multivitamins, lots of water, herbal tea in the evenings, meditation, read, spend time with my cat.
  • Run 2-3 miles a day. Sometimes hiking with a lot of gear. I'm a profuse smoker, but I make it up by eating lots of healthy food and running.
  • edited February 2012
    I learned that diet is massively important as it affects mood. Once the diet changed I realized that how I felt before was terrible, only it didn't feel terrible at the time because I was accustomed to it; It felt normal to be miserable (I think this relates to what is known as the hedonic setpoint) Bear this in mind the next time someone is grumpy. It may be down to the diet.

That said

- Sipping mineral water 2 hours after eating.
    - Foods low on the glycemic index to stabilize energy levels. No more peaks and troughs.
    - Soluble fiber to block cholesterol and keep the arteries free.
    - Insoluble fiber to unblock the colon, reduce heaviness and risk of disease
    - Low fat.
    - Variety to avoid intolerances
    - Try to get a good nights sleep, wake up early, feed the birds, smell the morning air, meditate in a cold shower, dry off, quick jog followed by the best (and most underappreciated) meal of the day (breakfast ) <3
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Sometimes, even opening my eyes is good 'nuff.....
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    most days, no particular order

-feel out (from the "inside") my body extremities while waking up in bed, in the shower, moving about the house
    -yoga, incense offering, meditate
    -drink tea
    -listen to some music (with music as the foreground of attention, not background -- harder than it seems some days ;D)
    -stop and really look or listen to something that is beautiful

and since i'm basically a nightowl,
    -stargaze (perfect these nights as the moon is "off" lol)

-send random friends inspirational quotes or thunk thoughts via text

-play with my cat Steak ^.^ (he learned how to "sit" the other day, proud father :p)

-spend some time alone, and away from technology

-avoid television like the plague -- hypnobox still gets me, though

-watch a cool thing from ted.com (not every day, but when I remember, which is like probably once every two weeks)

e.g.
  • HondenHonden Dallas, TX Veteran
    I generally try to stay on a carb-free diet, fat free yogurt in the morning with sugar free tea or coffee and then tuna and vegetables during the day. Exercise wise I do a P90x workout each night, starting out was a nightmare with soreness but I've kept up with it and worked through it. I end the evening with a 20-30 minute meditation session and start it all over again the next day.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I do this! :)

Kimchi - I found a spectacularly good website that gives you the recipe - it's brilliant, step-by-step illustrated and i can't wait to try it myself!

Nice!

The Korean temple I go to always has pounds and pounds of it on hand. They even have a special "KimChi making machine" which is about the size of a small refrigerator, lol.

According to health.com Kimchi is one of the worlds healthiest foods. :)

"Koreans eat so much of this super-spicy condiment (40 pounds of it per person each year) that natives say “kimchi” instead of “cheese” when getting their pictures taken."

And I can personally verify that this is actually true.
    :lol:
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited February 2012

Awesome @federica ! It seems so easy too... I can't wait to try it!... and piss off my girlfriend, haha. She can't stand the smell of it, so I have to eat it after she's gone to bed as is, lol. Can't wait to make the whole apartment smell like cabbage...
    Run three miles a day, wholesome food, one a day for women, yoga, meditation.
    :eek: Good for you, lady! There's been a string of robberies in my neighborhood lately, so I'm sort of laying low... but really, that's just an excuse, I can't run haha. I'm always impressed with people who do though...

@ownerof1000oddsocks
    How do you get your soluble/insoluble fiber, just out of curiosity? I have some psyllium husk 'powder' that I take sometimes... but I sort of hate it. Feel like I'm drinking a bunch of grain...
  • 50 crunches
    stretch
    eat veggies
    drink plenty of tea and/or water
  • edited February 2012
    @zombiegirl

One of my favorites is granola mixed in with low fat vanilla yogurt. I also buy mixed dried fruits and seeds to put in there. That adds up to quite a variety of good nutrients.
    Also bean and vegetable soups are good (plus easy to make).

In general Veggies, Beans, WholeGrains and a moderate intake of fruit should keep your digestive system intact for the years ahead. Good luck with that.
  • Lots of fruit
    Lots of veggies
    Try to keep carbs to a minimum (often fail)
    Walk when possible (as illness allows)
    Interactions with pets
    Hugs and kisses and ... ;) with Mr Raven
    Drink water
    Drink digestive tea (from Teopia...mmmm...)
    Positive thoughts
  • Yoga
    Plenty of water
    Like Raven, I love Teopia
    Fruits & veggies
    Cardio (wait, did you say daily? Still a work in progress....)
  • @raine have you tried the After Lunch Wellness Tea? Soooo good...
  • @raven no, but I will tomorrow. Thanks!
  • Enjoy it! I've practically forgotten how to eat without it! :lol:
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I generally try to stay on a carb-free diet, fat free yogurt in the morning with sugar free tea or coffee and then tuna and vegetables during the day. Exercise wise I do a P90x workout each night, starting out was a nightmare with soreness but I've kept up with it and worked through it. I end the evening with a 20-30 minute meditation session and start it all over again the next day.
    Inspiring! I been doing P90x Yoga and that has been crazy.
  • I am constantly eating carbs and sweets (pastries, usually), and everything I eat is "full fat" (whole milk, regular fat yogurt, etc.) and I have no intention of giving up my carbs or my "full fat diet".

I don't know, I don't like eating "lite, light, low-fat, or diet" things because they never really taste the same as the good ol' fatty stuff. Now if it's "low sodium" and tastes good I might try it, but I avoid "low-fat" like the plague. Most of the time the taste (especially of sweet things with sweetners in them) make me nauseous because it's just that bad to me.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I am constantly eating carbs and sweets (pastries, usually), and everything I eat is "full fat" (whole milk, regular fat yogurt, etc.) and I have no intention of giving up my carbs or my "full fat diet".

I don't know, I don't like eating "lite, light, low-fat, or diet" things because they never really taste the same as the good ol' fatty stuff. Now if it's "low sodium" and tastes good I might try it, but I avoid "low-fat" like the plague. Most of the time the taste (especially of sweet things with sweetners in them) make me nauseous because it's just that bad to me.
    LOL! Is that you in your Avatar? Because you look fine. And should continue eating whatever you like, however, perhaps...limiting your intake of those things you described above? I am in the same boat. I love cookies and all the sweets, but I have been limiting myself.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Niacin Flushing
    NAC supplement for bronchitis
    Vitamin C
    Omega 3 fish oils
    Royal Jelly
    Tsp. Olive oil

Exercise

• LOL! Is that you in your Avatar? Because you look fine. And should continue eating whatever you like, however, perhaps...limiting your intake of those things you described above? I am in the same boat. I love cookies and all the sweets, but I have been limiting myself.
    @LeonBasin Yeah, that's me. I wasn't saying it like "I need to lose weight!" I was saying it more like, "meh, it's unhealthy, but I do it". I have been limiting my intake on sweets, but that's only because my family hasn't bought any sweets in a while.

I did have a cupcake the other day, though. But that was because it was my birthday.

• Lol
    ...actually, when I started yoga, I would do it only to the point before the meditation...I didn't know the benefits then. Now it's different. @zombiegirl...you can go to a gym .... sure you can, pound that threadmill
    Run three miles a day, wholesome food, one a day for women, yoga, meditation.

What Tom said about interaction with the outside world is important.
    Howdy,
    As far as I know meditation is within the yoga, perhaps yours put them aside, who knows!

• I usually have a protein shake every day. I change up the fruits (strawberry, blueberry, pineapple), but it's always: banana, protein powder, green antioxidant powder, kefir, and filtered water.

I stretch every day, but I don't do yoga every day.

Drink a lot of water. Drink a lot of tea.

Take probiotics, spirulina, b12, a multi-vitamin(even if they are mostly useless), fish oil supplement.

I like to eat pretty healthy in general as I feel a lot better when I do, so a lot of veggies throughout the day. My vice is kimchi, but I guess that's quite healthy as well.
    WOW, Zombiegirl & I have a very similar routine! I also drink a protein shank every morning for breakfast and take a daily multi-vitamin, probiotics, B12, Omega3 fish oil. I also take a marine fiber called "Chitosan" at night.

I drink a lot of water and green tea. I'm a healthy eater in general. I've gotten in the habit of consuming around 1500 calories a day which is easy when you make a routine of it.

I meditate 15-30 minutes everyday, and exercise 30-45 minutes 3-4 days a week.
  • I forgot to add.. 1500 —1900 calorie diet. But I cheat sometimes!

Reducing stress in whatever manner is important, also.

And bathing everyday is deemed healthy in some cultures. :wave:
    @Lady_Alison You know, I actually do enjoy the treadmill. Most runners I meet think it's boring or something, but I rather like the monotony of it (plus shock absorption is good for the knees). In all honesty, I haven't tried running seriously since I quit smoking well over a year ago now. I was on the track team for one year in high school, but I hated it so much I ended up hiding in the bathroom during my events... so running and I really don't have the best history. I do like to rollerblade though. I used to play a lot of DDR on Expert as well for cardio (don't laugh, that level is crazy) until one of my old roommates opened a bottle of champagne on my PS2 :(

@NikkiGemGirl Are you a vegetarian as well? (Aside from the fish oil anyways, I was told that it was better. *shrugs*)
    And what is this Chitosan? The name is already adorable, which makes me think of the proper form of the nickname of Chitose (Chito-san).
  • edited February 2012
    @zombiegirl No, I'm not a vegetarian. However, I do have some weird issues with meat. I could probably be a vegetarian if I put some effort into it because I already try to eliminate meat as much as possible from my daily meals.

Chitosan is a marine fiber that's made from the powdered shells of crustaceans. It comes in capsule form. I take it at night before I go to bed. It's a good source of fiber and helps to keep your digestive tract regular (in combination with the probiotics). The reason I take it at night is because it tends to absorb fatty acids, like Omega3, which can render it useless if taken close together. I take my fish oil in the morning so it has time to digest before the crusty critters get to work, haha.
  • @raven--My local Teopia doesn't carry "After Lunch" :( Oh well, it's just as well that I purchased their 'immune' blend; my daughter has the flu and accidentally sneezed in my face. She might as well just injected that virus right into my bloodstream. I am guessing that I have 5 days left of feeling alright before the flu symptoms come to fruition and invade my health.
    @raven--My local Teopia doesn't carry "After Lunch" :( Oh well, it's just as well that I purchased their 'immune' blend; my daughter has the flu and accidentally sneezed in my face. She might as well just injected that virus right into my bloodstream. I am guessing that I have 5 days left of feeling alright before the flu symptoms come to fruition and invade my health.
    Not sure what's in the Immune Blend, but if it's a tea I would assume it is some sort of Echinacea herbal blend... But I also recommend drinking some Emergen-C, which is more on the vitamin side. They tend to be full of antioxidants, vitamin c, and b vitamins. Hopefully you can boost your immune system enough that it can tackle it before you get sick.
  • Not sure how healthy it is but I drink green tea everyday.
  • @raine Sorry they didn't have any After Lunch! Bummer! But the Immunity blend is fantastic too. Too bad about the face-sneeze lol that's the worst. I'm not sure where you are but David's Tea makes a tea called Cold 911 that's awesome for getting rid of the germs once they take hold. It totally saved my life over the holidays with the cold/flu thing I had. Thank goodness for tea!
  • @raven Yes, David's tea is also very numy-numy. I am sipping their "the glow" as I type this now. I am in Ontario where there is both Teopia and David's, though I am more partial to Teopia.
    Three cheers for tea!
  • Hip hip hooray
    Hip hip hooray
    hip hip hooray, for nummy nummy tea.

@raine I'm going to steal nummy nummy and you can have my "Willy nilly "...you talk like I think. Lol.
  • I sleep, really well and long enough pretty much every night. Love my bed.

Then I eat a lot, yeah. For depression in the brain you need fat in your diet so I eat good fat. Love love love avacadoe and olive oil.

I do not watch TV or read women's magazines or even parenting magazines, I read real stuff and watch good movies when I do.
  • @raine I'm in Ontario too! Yay for so much tea!
  • @raven we are enveloped in tea here in Ontario. :)
  • When I am sad I just slump and try not to think about hurting, just dissolve into my senses.

In the morning some good words to my mother.

Listen to the awakening beings.

Listen enough but not get reduced to electro-positive ie haunted by my past as a chemist. Oxidation is losing. (electrons) Reduction is gaining. (electrons)

Give up drinking if you can

Prana breathing. Breath in. Rest. Breath out carefully balanced with relaxed.