Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

God is on Rick Santorum's side

2»

Comments

• Anti-intellectualism you say?

Vote for Rick Santorum. He hates those fags, intellectual types, negros, women, poor people, moslems, Obama and everybody else you hate. Vote Santorum today.
    That's some hateful accusations there :)

• Ultimately, I think a lot of the success (perceived or otherwise) of people like Rick Santorum is based on anti-intellectualism. People who can't or won't take the time to figure things out for themselves. They want to be spoon fed everything they believe in, from their religion to their politics. A little box with all the answers in it is all they're after.
    Equally true for left and right, it's just that the left only recognizes the right manipulation visa versa
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Anti-intellectualism you say?

Vote for Rick Santorum. He hates those fags, intellectual types, negros, women, poor people, moslems, Obama and everybody else you hate. Vote Santorum today.
    What??!! Is this a reply to Mountains??!

• B5CB5C Veteran

• As an outsider looking in who is more concerned about international relations than American domestic policy, I feel more comfortable with Obama... who is sane.
    So, here's hoping Rick Santorum gets the Republican nomination. Romney has flexible "core values" and is hooked into the big cynical corporate world. He would be a pragmatic choice for the Republicans and a compromise of "core values". Therefore he could stand a chance of winning the presidency. As president... he would not be insane, and probably cause far less mischief than Bush Junior, but he would be more risky than Obama. Santorum could not win a general election...surely. The "silent majority" of very sane and worldly Americans, who do not live in an historyless bubble that ends at American shores, would do anything to stop him. Ensuring a second term for Obama.

there, punditry on the cheap... :D
  • I agree that Romney is the only one that could give Obama a run, but even then I see Obama winning.... As far as labeling parties as "insane" it is a toss up for me who is more insane, far left or far right.
  • .. As far as labeling parties as "insane" it is a toss up for me who is more insane, far left or far right.
    Agreed. Go far enough right and effectively you meet the far left.

...and the very idea of finding a root devil to hang things on is impossible. The chain of pain has no beginning.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

As an outsider looking in who is more concerned about international relations than American domestic policy, I feel more comfortable with Obama... who is sane.
    So, here's hoping Rick Santorum gets the Republican nomination. Romney has flexible "core values" and is hooked into the big cynical corporate world. He would be a pragmatic choice for the Republicans and a compromise of "core values". Therefore he could stand a chance of winning the presidency. As president... he would not be insane, and probably cause far less mischief than Bush Junior, but he would be more risky than Obama. Santorum could not win a general election...surely. The "silent majority" of very sane and worldly Americans, who do not live in an historyless bubble that ends at American shores, would do anything to stop him. Ensuring a second term for Obama.

Where I believe your thinking is faulty is the following scenario:

It's Obama -v- Santorum.

Gas prices surge to $5/gallon.

Or, the bottom falls out of the economy (again) (possibly related to the price of gas).

Or, the crisis over Iran goes very badly for us.

Or..........

The electorate dump Obama.

I agree that Romney is the only one that could give Obama a run, but even then I see Obama winning.... As far as labeling parties as "insane" it is a toss up for me who is more insane, far left or far right.
    Each party overreaches once in a while. Take the Republicans in 1964 (Goldwater), followed by the Democrats in 1972 (McGovern). Each time, the party in question went too far right or left, and suffered because of it. The only real question is how long the party stays too far right or too far left.

• As an outsider looking in who is more concerned about international relations than American domestic policy, I feel more comfortable with Obama... who is sane.

Where I believe your thinking is faulty is the following scenario:

It's Obama -v- Santorum.

Gas prices surge to $5/gallon.

Or, the bottom falls out of the economy (again) (possibly related to the price of gas).

Or, the crisis over Iran goes very badly for us.

Or..........

The electorate dump Obama.

I am certain my thinking is faulty.

......and you mention the Iran situation. Here I do not know what to think, it is such a thicket of relationships and interests and information and misinformation. I like to think I have handle on the world that way... but am at a loss here. It does look like there is a possibility of war breaking out, and a chance it could spiral into a catastrophic mess.

Confident predictions about whether it will or will not happen, and what course things would take if it does happen... can't stand up.

All I can do is live this little life as best as possible.

I am certain my thinking is faulty.

......and you mention the Iran situation. Here I do not know what to think, it is such a thicket of relationships and interests and information and misinformation. I like to think I have handle on the world that way... but am at a loss here. It does look like there is a possibility of war breaking out, and a chance it could spiral into a catastrophic mess.

Confident predictions about whether it will or will not happen, and what course things would take if it does happen... can't stand up.

I am feeling exactly the same.

The Iranian government thinks and acts so far outside the general world diplomatic community, that they seem totally unpredictable. Nothing would surprise me.

• sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Here is one I heard :
    Santorum and Romney heade to th GOP convention so close in votes that the delegates "broker" the convention. Jeb Bush becomes the nominee...
  • Here is one I heard :
    Santorum and Romney heade to th GOP convention so close in votes that the delegates "broker" the convention. Jeb Bush becomes the nominee...
    At least the left will still have a "Bush" to blame things on :)
    Here is one I heard :
    Frankly, I'd like that one.

Did you know that (according to the Rockefeller campaign in 1968), no candidate who has come to the convention leading in delegates, but who did not win on the first ballot, has gone on to win the nomination.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I can't stand Santorum. My favorite was when he said he was anti-abortion in any circumstance and said that even in cases of rape... the women should view it as a gift from God. A 'horribly created' gift from God. lol.

Blarg.

• I can't stand Santorum. My favorite was when he said he was anti-abortion in any circumstance and said that even in cases of rape... the women should view it as a gift from God. A 'horribly created' gift from God. lol.

Blarg.

I agree, this is what also turned me off about him... I can't picture his momentum continuing after this, but I have been surprisingly shocked before.
  • I disagree with this position too. However, I prefer it to " I do not agree with abortion but I will not take any step to prevent one."
    Santorum is consistent with the Catholic position , isn't he?
    I believe he knows this principled position will sink him , but he will not back off....
    I also assert that any President, including Santorum, will not substantially interfere with the law as it stands. If anything, he will work toward making late term abortions more difficult or impossible (legally) and this I support.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited February 2012
    I disagree with this position too. However, I prefer it to " I do not agree with abortion but I will not take any step to prevent one."
    Sex education, access to family planning and contraception as well as financial security have been shown to reduce abortion and teen pregnancy rates. The Republican position seems to be only to outlaw them. If its true that when guns are outlawed only outlaws will possess them isn't it also true that when abortions are outlawed only outlaws will perform them. Outlawing drugs hasn't stopped people from acquiring them, its only established an illegal black market that helps support criminal organizations, and its much easier for a kid to get drugs than it is to get alcohal or tobacco. Making abortions illegal won't stop people from having them, it will just make them more dangerous.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Whatever happened to seperation of Church and state ? Pro-choice for others is the best position you can have if one doesn't wish to have an abortion then one shall not and likewise if one does on shall. These Christians should be reminded that God is the ultimate Judge for them and they haven't the right to Judge others in such a manner or inhibit their choices to do with their own mental and physical well being.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited February 2012
    It's clear that the GOP has nothing else to run on. All of their policies have proven to be unworkable and have led to ruin, so they had to turn to pseudo-"religion" to appeal to the basest fears of the general populace. It will be their downfall.