Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is there such a thing as rightful anger?

LostieLostie Veteran
edited February 2012 in Buddhism Basics
HOW should we put the anger to good use?

Comments

• With seeing that it is anger and seeing that the whole world is not one view and the anger is a distorted view. Then you see the anger for what it is in that the anger is not the whole story.

For example I am having trouble seeing today my corrective prescription is deteriorating. I could get more angry but what's the use? Might as well do what I can which is type this out. :) My thumb has peanut butter on it and is sticking to the space 'bar'. I might think a dark cloud is following me. But I remember that this is just impermanence.

may all sentient beings awaken and the healing come that is beyond the body.
  • I consider no emotion to be really 'better' than another, although some can cause more suffering to ourselves and others.

Anger can be a message. The message may be that we need to pay attention to what is happening around us. The message may be a situation needs to change. The message may be that we need to take care of ourselves and not get too tired/hungry/etc. The message may be that it has nothing to do with us. And the message may be that we need to put it in perspective of impermanence.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    If the OP asked about "productive anger", I might be inclined to say yes. But "rightful anger"...well maybe...gotta think more on that.
  • Sometime anger is justified, specially when someone has hurt you or hurt someone else you know.

Is there anything you can do about it? Can you address it or the person and bring about change?

Can you remove yourself until you have gained some clarity to properly deal with the situation...in some cases this is necessary.

What can you do?
  • I think we need a good example op? Vinlyn 's little hamsters are turning and I like his pov
  • Righteous anger can be used to provide energy to contribute to just causes, social change, righting injustice of various sorts. This is what Tsem Tulku calls "Divine anger"--anger that benefits others and helps make the world a better place. The Dalai Lama says that when you're upset about injustice in the world, or if you're frustrated by it, turn that into constructive action.

Anger is neither good nor bad. It's how we utilize that energy that counts. Anger can be a tool to put compassion into action. I think righteous anger is compassionate anger.

Hi, Lostie! Long time no see--welcome back! :)
    I think we need a good example op? Vinlyn 's little hamsters are turning and I like his pov
    Please...they're hamsters on steroids!

:p
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    Hi, Lostie! Long time no see--welcome back! :)
    Hi thanks for the welcome again. :)

• IñigoIñigo Explorer
    edited March 2012
    Hi All
    No, anger is never correct because it is a product or reaction from greed, aversion or delusion.

We justify anger in our minds, for example "They will understand better if I show anger" or "they caused anger". Anger continues to keep us bound to the results of of 'negative' karma and so enforces itself as "my personality" or as something unavoidable.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    One may well be justified in being angry... in that sense perhaps rightful...

Anger in itself however is ultimately destructive....
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I feel there is a thing such as righteous anger... Namely, in some very extreme circumstances, anger becomes instrumental in meting out justice or insuring survival. I would like to meet anyone who has had to defend their life or others from a violent attacker without using anger as their fuel to drive them. Then there is the whole situation here where it is practically impossible for me to find a job. I have lost bits of flesh due to frostbite from walking in the cold weather searching for a job. I'd drive a car, but I need a job to afford a car, and a car would help me greatly in securing a job. I cannot even afford a proper coat and live day by day measuring out nearly every cent so me and those under my care do not go hungry or wanting.

Then someone approaches me and casually says "Just get a job, you bum" I may not say or do anything in response, since I contain myself. But I feel plenty of anger. Enough to where if I was not in control, chances are I would strike them, or at the very least go on a very long rant explaining everything to them. But no, I contain my anger, and use the energy from it to do something to prove them wrong. I want to succeed, and then rub their faces in it nice and deep, to the point where I might derive a sort of pleasure from it.

Anger is a part of the human psyche for a reason. It is dangerous to entirely ignore what makes us human, instead I opt for careful analysis and control. Rather than straight ignorance.
  • I would like to meet anyone who has had to defend their life or others from a violent attacker without using anger as their fuel to drive them.
    Someone tried to run me over the other day but I moved out of the way. Was not angry just weary (Sorry to be awkward if that is the case).

I am now resigned to the fact that some people see me as an obstacle and like to play chicken. Learned helplessness, apathy & tears relinquish anger in those moments of isolation, but that doesn't stop me from writing a letter about road safety or rallying the locals to protest against angry young men.
    I've seen anger be productive, but I think at the same time that a more thoughtful response could have been as productive...just channeled differently.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    .....Is the word 'rightful' the same as 'justified'....?
    .....Is the word 'rightful' the same as 'justified'....?
    To me there's a nuanced difference, but similar.

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    Is there such a thing as rightful anger?
    no.

If you are lucky, anger can be useful. But only if you are lucky.

Any amount of anger just cloud the mind. Therefore your judgement is biased.
    So you must be lucky so that the bias from your anger happen to direct you toward something useful.

Like a horse that is freaking out. If you are lucky, he'll run in the direction that you want.
    But he's just as likely to run in the opposite direction and do damage.

Little anger or lots of anger is the same. It's just more obvious to recognize this fact when the anger is bigger.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Sometime anger is justified, specially when someone has hurt you or hurt someone else you know.
    if by justified you mean logical, then yes. All negative emotional reactions are logical and rational from the point of view and the understanding of the person reacting in such a way.

But all negative emotional reactions are unskilful conditioned habit of the mind which bring suffering.

If you are angry at someone who hurt you, you are hurting yourself.
    You could be having the best time of your life, completely and fully enjoying life and appreciating your life and everything in it, but you aren't, you are in your mind in the future or the past feeling angry about whatever happened...
    You can't help it, it's a automatic reaction and behavior. This is why we train our mind and lose these automatic habits, freeing ourselves from the slavery of the conditioned mind...
  • Feelings are just feelings. What you DO with them is what can or can't be justified.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    The positive aspect of anger is determination. Anger though clouds the judgement, often leading to a poor outcome.

If something can be done, why be angry?
    If nothing can be done, why be angry?

If a situation demands and allows for an effective response then by all means respond, but getting angry in the process only causes emotional turmoil for oneself and results in a distorted assesment of the situation resulting in a distorted response.
    The positive aspect of anger is determination. Anger though clouds the judgement, often leading to a poor outcome.

If a situation demands and allows for an effective response then by all means respond, but getting angry in the process only causes emotional turmoil for oneself and results in a distorted assesment of the situation resulting in a distorted response.
    Very good, and it points out the difference between anger and frustration.

• Does anybody have anything from the sutras where the buddha spoke about anger being in any way used in a positive manner?

My opinion is anger is an instictive emotion, but it is also afflictive. In a boxing fight for example, it would be better if you had a controlled sense of focus rather than anger which could lead to a foolish move. There are many many situations where anger lead to a negative result.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Just a funny story:
    ANGRY BUDDHA
    From "Being Peace" by Thitch Nhat Hahn

"A woman who practices reciting Buddha Amitabha's name, is very tough and recites "NAMO AMITABHA BUDDHA" three times daily. Although she is doing this practice for over 10 years, she is still quite mean, shouting at people all the time. She starts her practice lighting incense and hitting a little bell.
    A friend wanted to teach her a lesson, and just as she began her recitation, he came to her door and called out: "miss Nuyen, miss Nuyen!".
    As this was the time for her practice she got annoyed, but she said to herself: "I have to struggle against my anger, so I will just ignore it." And she continued: "NAMO AMITABHA BUDDHA, NAMO AMITABHA BUDDHA..."
    But the man continued to shout her name, and she became more and more oppressive.
    She struggled against it and wondered if she should stop the recitation to give the man a piece of her mind, but she continued reciting: "NAMO AMITABHA BUDDHA, NAMO AMITABHA BUDDHA..."
    The man outside heard it and continued: "Miss Nuyen, miss Nuyen..."
    Then she could not stand it anymore, jumped up, slammed the door and went to the gate and shouted: "Why do you have to behave like that? I am doing my practice and you keep on shouting my name over and over!"
    The gentleman smiled at her and said: "I just called your name for ten minutes and you are so angry. You have been calling Amitabha Buddha's name for more then ten years now; just imagine how angry he must be by now!"
  • ANGRY BUDDHA
    From "Being Peace" by Thitch Nhat Hahn

"A woman who practices reciting Buddha Amitabha's name, is very tough and recites "NAMO AMITABHA BUDDHA" three times daily. Although she is doing this practice for over 10 years, she is still quite mean, shouting at people all the time. She starts her practice lighting incense and hitting a little bell.
    A friend wanted to teach her a lesson, and just as she began her recitation, he came to her door and called out: "miss Nuyen, miss Nuyen!".
    As this was the time for her practice she got annoyed, but she said to herself: "I have to struggle against my anger, so I will just ignore it." And she continued: "NAMO AMITABHA BUDDHA, NAMO AMITABHA BUDDHA..."
    But the man continued to shout her name, and she became more and more oppressive.
    She struggled against it and wondered if she should stop the recitation to give the man a piece of her mind, but she continued reciting: "NAMO AMITABHA BUDDHA, NAMO AMITABHA BUDDHA..."
    The man outside heard it and continued: "Miss Nuyen, miss Nuyen..."
    Then she could not stand it anymore, jumped up, slammed the door and went to the gate and shouted: "Why do you have to behave like that? I am doing my practice and you keep on shouting my name over and over!"
    The gentleman smiled at her and said: "I just called your name for ten minutes and you are so angry. You have been calling Amitabha Buddha's name for more then ten years now; just imagine how angry he must be by now!"
    That is a great teaching, reminds me of the angry woman who was asked to look at her reflection the next time she got angry. I guess the anger itself can be used as a teaching, but that is rare and often needs pointing out.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Sometimes we are getting signals crticizing us. And thus we feel helpless because we see our own point of view that makes us feel safe is thrown down... Our own personal house of cards or house of glass or whatever. The need is to destroy whatever caused that to happen so we react. I don't know why anger feels as it does. It is the hormones that get released adrenaline and so forth. As Zayl has pointed out these are powerful chemicals in our body.
  • Anger at anger.
  • Hi All
    No, anger is never correct because it is a product or reaction from greed, aversion or delusion.
    This is a mistaken assumption. Anger can stem from deep compassion for the human condition. If social inequities or abusive behavior anger us, that anger is born of the compassion we feel for those who are being wronged. If we channel that anger toward efforts addressed at eliminating the root cause of the harm being done, that is humanitarian anger.

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    Hi All
    This is a mistaken assumption. Anger can stem from deep compassion for the human condition. If social inequities or abusive behavior anger us, that anger is born of the compassion we feel for those who are being wronged. If we channel that anger toward efforts addressed at eliminating the root cause of the harm being done, that is humanitarian anger.
    anger is never born of compassion.
    compassion is born of compassion.
    anger is born of anger. but added on top of the compassion in your example.

having compassion for someone who suffer is separate from the anger and frustrations at the act of those who create suffering.

anger at the way things are, sadness at the way things are, despair at the way things are, all very similar.
    Just add more suffering.
    this is relevant.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2012
    No, I'm sorry... I believe that sometimes, we have to absolutely manifest and display anger...
    It's important that others will know what we stand for but equally, it's vital people understand what we won't stand for.
    It's an appropriate emotion which should be used at the appropriate time.
    Do not cling to anger or perpetuate it beyond reason.
    Remain in control, and do not cling.
    but when you are angry - and you're right to be angry - be angry.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    No, I'm sorry... I believe that sometimes, we have to absolutely manifest and display anger...
    It's important that others will know what we stand for but equally, it's vital people understand what we won't stand for.
    and it is this rationalizing that makes it so difficult to uproot anger for good.
    while meditating: "equanimityyyyyy... it's just a sensation... equanimityyyyyy... but he did THIS TO ME!"
    ;)
  • No, I'm sorry... I believe that sometimes, we have to absolutely manifest and display anger...
    Learning to express anger appropriately was what I needed to work to work on. We learn from the good examples. Those we notice at least.

But anger is not a Dharma refuge. The sangha has recognized that anger is not the self and thus it is not anger. Like a parent who scolds. Not that barely any parents are enlightened.
    In TB there are many deities representing many aspects of mind. For each one that is positive (Avalokiteshvara for compassion, Manjushri for wisdom) there is usually a wrathful aspect. Meaning sometimes the best, most compassionate thing you can do for someone is to give them a kick in the butt.

I'm generally pretty opposed to tough love as in my experience it often doesn't arise out of concern for the receiver but out of frustration by the giver. It is possible though to express a strong stance or an act that appears angry in order to help someone see the light. Don't fool yourself though into thinking that means you can run around scolding people in the name of their best interest and think its all perfectly justified.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

anger is always wrong because anger burns us
    HOW should we put the anger to good use?
    if we can see anger is within us we can remind us 'we are not in the present moment'

because

if 'we are in the present moment' we know what we see is the 'effect' and there is a 'cause' for it

if so

we do not react (this always brings the wrong results)
    but
    we act with mindfully
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    anger at the way things are, sadness at the way things are, despair at the way things are, all very similar.Just add more suffering.
    It depends on how you define anger. If you define it as loosing control, then yes, it adds more suffering. If you notice anger arising and use it to get an important message across, or to snatch someone out of harm's way, or to address a cause, it contributes to the cessation of suffering.

Anger is neither good nor bad. It's what we do with it, how we use it, how we shape it or allow it to take shape, that's either skillful or unskillful. It's like money: just a tool for getting things done. The tool doesn't carry a value judgment with it, the tool just is. You can use it to either bludgeon someone with it, or to lift people up. It helps to know how to work with it before you pick it up, though. That's where skill comes in. Then when you're done using it, you put it down.

I've read stories about Zen roshis who use anger with certain students, when they think the student needs waking up or guiding. The roshi is in prefect control of his method, he's not ranting or hyperventilating. Rather, it's a momentary, controlled manifestation of anger to teach a specific lesson to a specific student. After wielding the tool, the roshi puts it back in the toolbox, and moves on, perfectly calm. There has been no suffering, only skillful means by a teacher, and learning, by the student.

Maybe there's a difference between Mahayana schools and other schools on this score.
    anger is always wrong because anger burns us
    Anger doesn't burn us if we use it skillfully. A hot stove can burn us, or it can be used to cook a delicious meal. It's up to us to use skill to bring about a positive outcome.

"If there are sound reasons or bases for the points you demand, then there is no need to use violence. On the other hand, when there is no sound reason that concessions should be made to you but mainly your own desire, then reason cannot work and you have to rely on force. Thus, using force is not a sign of strength but rather a sign of weakness. Even in daily human contact, if we talk seriously, using reasons, there is no need to feel anger. We can argue the points. When we fail to prove with reason, then anger comes. When reason ends, then anger begins. Therefore, anger is a sign of weakness."

His Holiness the Dalai Lama, from 'The Dalai Lama, A Policy of Kindness: An Anthology of Writings by and About the Dalai Lama'
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Well, I don't have my DL quote at my fingertips, but he has said that frustration and anger should be used to support efforts to make the world a better place: channel the anger into environmental work, social justice work, and so forth. Tsem Tulku has a good video on this subject as well. The DL displayed righteous anger in his talk in Tokyo right after the 2008 crisis in Tibet.
    I go back to my first post that the positive aspect of anger is determination, but that anger clouds the judgement. So act if possible but don't get angry.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    It is possible though to express a strong stance or an act that appears angry in order to help someone see the light. Don't fool yourself though into thinking that means you can run around scolding people in the name of their best interest and think its all perfectly justified.
    I agree with this.

Here's Tsem Tulku talking about equanimity and Divine anger. The part on anger starts at about 1:35

• ZaylZayl Veteran
    Take a look at Lewis Black. He is damn angry a good majority of the time. But he uses that anger to fuel his comedy, and let's be honest, he's damn funny. It just goes to show that anger itself is not inherently bad or good, it is how you deal with it yourself that matters.
  • Anyone who feels rightful is sure to eventually get angry. And many Buddhists feel rightful...
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    Comedy is IMO not based on anger but analysis. Maybe anger is the starting point, as a reaction to a perceived injustice...

Anger arises when our expectations are not met. Whose fault is that? We would have fewer angry reactions if we had a better sense of our reality.
    Realism doesn't eliminate disappointment, because we can never know how future circumstances play out, but anger as a gut reaction can be avoided by examining one's expectations, and whether they are based on realistic assumptions.

Maybe this can be learned and used towards being mindful and compassionate. I am a mere beginner :-) .
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    "I have learned through bitter experience the one supreme lesson: to conserve my anger. And, as heat conserved is transmuted into energy, even so our anger controlled can be transmuted into a power that can move the world". --Mahatma Gandhi
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    Anger doesn't burn us if we use it skillfully.

before we do anything (skillful or unskillful) with anger it burns us

and then

we want (again we are burning) to do 'this or that'

for example:

check what would happen to us (anyone of us) while reading this post

if we are mindful we do not get angry (unskillful thought) so there is no burning

if not the 'feeling doesn't give us pleasure', what is it? burning

(both lust and anger burn us, but we do not see it unless we pay attention and try to see)

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    If you catch the spark of anger as it rises, you can direct it in a positive direction. Mindfulness.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Justifying anger as appropriate seems iffy... even if effectively it is sometimes. There have been moments where anger has come up.. it is unskillful for sure, and it burns... but I do not regret it. I can think of one time over a situation at my kid's school that was completely unacceptable. It wasn't just garden variety irritation, but real steam that came up. That anger was not "right" but it happened to catalyse needed change that would otherwise not have happened. Not proud of it.. but.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Well, I don't have my DL quote at my fingertips, but he has said that frustration and anger should be used to support efforts to make the world a better place: channel the anger into environmental work, social justice work, and so forth.
    Who was the DL audience for this?

I think that the DL role is to be the leader but also the ambassador of Tibetan Buddhism.

Being the ambassador means that much of his work is addressed to lay Buddhist practitioner, but also to the general public.

The first step in the Buddhist path is to begin to become more mindful of our inner world. Which begin the process of becoming less reactive.
    Therefore it would make sense to me that the Dalai Lama would be addressing the general public or the beginners with these kind of statements. Guiding them through the first step of the path, things they can actually begin to do immediately and see benefit in their life while avoiding the more obscure stuff which would likely scare people off since they wouldn't be able to understand them.

By being mindful (noticing when it arise) of anger and other negative reactions, we begin to create a space between the emotional reaction and the potentially harmful actions (shouting at someone, fueling the fire inside).
    This open the door for equanimity toward the negative emotion to arise.
    When equanimity is present in the face of the negative emotional reactions, it's only a matter of time before we let go of the reaction. realizing the futility and uselessness of such reaction. This is a kind of wisdom.
    as in: If we were afraid of dogs, now we are not afraid of dogs anymore.
    once this happened, we're not afraid of any dogs anymore. This reaction just doesn't come up when faced with the stimulus.

Then naturally, when this happened enough times, we don't have the fear of dog anymore, we lost the anger at mom, we lost the impatience waiting in line for a coffee, we lost the reaction to whatever our partner is doing that we use to find annoying...
    Once this happened enough, we realize that all of them are all pretty much the same, all useless so it become much easier to let go of all of them.

You don't hear the DL talking about eradicating fetters to the general public or the lay practitioners much. And it make sense to me, getting into this territory requires a great deal of sustained effort and it is unlikely to be relevant or useful in any way to the general public.
    And Mahayana seem to be very structured, systematically building very strong and solid foundations before beginning to approach more advanced concepts. I guess one of the reason can be to avoid wasting too much time on people misinterpretation things they have no basis to understand maybe..?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    You're right, he does aim his comments at the general public. I often wish that in his public talks he'd discuss more advanced concepts. I attended one of his talks that was scheduled to be an advanced topic, since he knew many monks would be in attendance. But he switched topics at the last minute, and gave an intro talk about the 4 Noble Truths.

The comment I mentioned was in the context of being angry about injustice in the world, about problems in society, environmental issues, etc. He said, instead of being angry or frustrated, use that energy constructively to work towards change.

Have you watched Tsem Tulku's video? What do you think of his talk on "Divine anger"?
  • IñigoIñigo Explorer
    Hi Dakini
    If there is a 'divine anger' which Tsem Tulku mentions, then isn't there a divine being? If so who or what is that devine being according to Tsem's sect?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    You'd have to ask Tsem. But the point is that anger can have a very positive, constructive application, if ego isn't present. Tibetan Buddhism is full of divinities, gods, goddesses, spirits, female Buddhas, lots of exotic figures. There is, after all, a god realm in the cosmology.
  • IñigoIñigo Explorer
    edited March 2012
    Thanks Dakini
    I will look into it further as it sounds like that is what is implied (I keep meaning to study this too). :) Personally I do not feel anger is ever positive in a buddhist sense. Whether someone acts 'angrilly' to stimulate a response is perhaps a different matter.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Well if someone allows the anger to get to the point where they're lashing out, then, at that point, obviously, anger is bad. But it doesn't need to come to that. It's all in how you handle it, what you do with it when you notice that spark beginning to arise. And sometimes using it to speak forcefully, as Federica pointed out, is just what is needed in the moment. If modulated, it can be skillful speech.