Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

When I see people posting EVPs, Psychics, Out of body experinces, and other superstutious stuff.

B5CB5C Veteran
edited March 2012 in General Banter
I think people need to read and/or listen to this guy:

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you!
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Some people aren't materialists neither was Buddha.
  • live and let live. Maybe ask yourself this, why are you making such a point of trying to make people who like to read or talk about such a topic see it in a different way? I personally do not have any great fondness of it, although some times curious, but why are you so intent on making this point?
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Hello, I made the recent post on EVPs so it is clear you are referencing me with your own post. Firstly, you seem to have confused naivety with curiosity. Being curious and doing your own experiment to find the answer to a debatable question should not be confused with naivety and/or stupidity.

I don't disagree with anything in this video. Especially the fact that even though the dousing rod looks like a rip off, Skeptic Magazine still did an experiment to prove it.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Psychics say they do what they do to earn money and maybe even fame. They convince people their loved ones are still around while they maybe aren't. This is a false kind of comfort, which even costs money. Because the psychics gain something out of it, it is likely that is their drive. I agree this is very debatable.

However, most if not all people claiming to have out of body experiences, remember past lives etc. don't do it for the money or fame. Whether it is true or not, they do it because they truly believe in what they say. Such experiences are so clear, much clearer than other experiences; for them those are clearly not hallucinations. Of course, there is a chance they are, and you can be skeptic and investigate it. However, to call it superstitious and say they should listen to a guy from Skeptic.com instead of their own experiences, is in my eyes being unright towards those persons; also because those experiences can be very disturbing for them. So a friendly debate of some sort would be more in place. This is something I think the entire skeptic community is lacking in.

But I guess you can only really understand if you have one of these experiences yourself. Meditation can help in this by sharpening the mind to see what it has never noticed before.

Sabre
  • I don't think op was rude. He was trying to balance it out. :) am I wrong?

Aren't you just a little bit child like curious? Op?
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I can't see the video from the phone but its probably more the latter. He would probably find the idea of sayinf its rude to get in the face of those who are say agnostic ally curious about siddhis... BC who's to say what's.possible in this rediculous universe? Am "I" stuck in my body? All my memories destined to only be of.dreams and waking life of.this lifetime?

I have.met Tibetan rinpoches whom I bought a CD from which claims they had people walking through walls at their.monastery. what's the problem if I believe it?
    But not.BC **
    "I am not closed to the idea of miracles" sam harris ;)
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I can't see the video from the phone but its probably more the latter. He would probably find the idea of sayinf its rude to get in the face of those who are say agnostic ally curious about siddhis... BC who's to say what's.possible in this rediculous universe? Am "I" stuck in my body? All my memories destined to only be of.dreams and waking life of.this lifetime?

I have.met Tibetan rinpoches whom I bought a CD from which claims they had people walking through walls at their.monastery. what's the problem if I believe it?
    The harm is that people who are aware such claims always turned out to be lies will lump all Buddhism into the "superstitious nonsense" catagory from the actions of a few.

In otherwords, it makes Buddhism look bad to a huge segment of the world. In my case, I think about how if one monk could repeat such a demonstration of walkiing through objects to a skeptical worldwide audience, how millions would be converted to Buddhism with its message of peace and it would transform the world. Also, people trapped in mines could be reached and saved. But it's not going to happen.

"In your face" would be if we trolled every post about anything supernatural, insulting people who believe in such. It would also be nonBuddhist to do so. I have responded with information on specific subjects when the post asked for people's reaction, making sure people knew I was only giving the skeptic side of the issue and presenting additonal information. Last I looked, nobody was trolling the recent posts about various supernatural beliefs. Instead, we have a separate topic here. I like the way newBuddhist does things.

Would you like to discuss here why some people consider a skeptical mind to be important when it comes to opinions about such supernatural claims? Even if you don't agree, you'll know the arguments of the "other side of the coin" from their own mouths.
    Agreed. Sorry its 6 am my post seemed sort of reactionary it was stupid. I didn't even complete.my sentense I'm not a troll or.anything.

That's all I can say right now won't hijack the thread either

• @B5C you still have not answered my question, if you would give the time to I would appreciate it, thanks.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I agreed with everything the video talked about except when he says, "so while its possible that while most of these things are fake and some of them are real, its more likely that all of them are fake."
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Proving or disproving psychic phenomena is just not relevant to Buddhism.. according how I have been taught by both Theravadin and Zen teachers my whole adult life. Psychic things...Esp, out of body experiences and so forth, have no more relevance than baseball statistics, or fish and chips, or..

It's a big red herring, both the fascination and the debunking.

• :thumbup:
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    Proving or disproving psychic phenomena is just not relevant to Buddhism.. according how I have been taught by both Theravdin and Zen teachers my whole adult life. Psychic things...Esp, out of body experiences and so forth, have no more relevance than baseball statistics, or fish and chips, or..

I don't think any of the threads that @B5C was referring to were in any way trying to say otherwise though... hence why they were all in the general banter section. An awful lot of other threads in general banter are not related to Buddhism. So, I don't think the issue here is whether or not these threads are relevant to Buddhism, the issue here is the OP has a problem with ppl discussing things HE doesn't find interesting/believe in. @B5C we hear you - you do not believe in these sorts of phenomena.. that's cool. We're not trying to persuade you or any one else to have the same opinions. Merely, enjoying discussions on threads with other people that share a common interest. Like @ThailandTom says 'live and let live'.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I already watched it with my clairvoiant abilities as it was being made, so I don't need to play the video. :D
    edited March 2012
    Proving or disproving psychic phenomena is just not relevant to Buddhism.. according how I have been taught by both Theravdin and Zen teachers my whole adult life. Psychic things...Esp, out of body experiences and so forth, have no more relevance than baseball statistics, or fish and chips, or..

I don't think any of the threads that @B5C was referring to were in any way trying to say otherwise though... hence why they were all in the general banter section. An awful lot of other threads in general banter are not related to Buddhism. So, I don't think the issue here is whether or not these threads are relevant to Buddhism, the issue here is the OP has a problem with ppl discussing things HE doesn't find interesting/believe in. @B5C we hear you - you do not believe in these sorts of phenomena.. that's cool. We're not trying to persuade you or any one else to have the same opinions. Merely, enjoying discussions on threads with other people that share a common interest. Like @ThailandTom says 'live and let live'.
    That is fair enough. On the other hand ...there are a lot of new people showing up here to see what Buddhism is about. Apparently many new people approach Buddhism with a lot of new-age ideas, and think that is what Buddhism is about. It is responsible to point out the Four Noble Truths, and the matter of Dukkha, and to suggest putting psychic fascinations aside.... Without getting into a debate about the nature of such things. So that is where I'm coming from... I like goofing around on this forum, and it is the most fun Buddhist forum around IMO, but I also feel a certain responsibilty to not further confuse new people.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited March 2012

That is fair enough. On the other hand ...there are a lot of new people showing up here to see what Buddhism is about. Apparently many new people approach Buddhism with a lot of new-age ideas, and think that is what Buddhism is about. It is responsible to point out the Four Noble Truths, and the matter of Dukkha, and to suggest putting psychic fascinations aside.... Without getting into a debate about the nature of such things. So that is where I'm coming from... I like goofing around on this forum, and it is the most fun Buddhist forum around IMO, but I also feel a certain responsibilty to not further confuse new people.
    Which is why there is a 'buddhism for beginners' section. And furthermore, when I ever get a chance to speak with a new comer, I try to guide them to the basics and fundamental parts of the dharma and where to start with their practice from my point of view. Gneral banter is general banter, it does not require a genius to work that one out. One also only has to read the posts within each thread to get the general idea that it is not exactly linked to buddhism.
    edited March 2012
    That's a good point. I should pay attention to where the post is. Instead of just looking at the recent posts, without noticing which section they are posted in.

. :)

Generally ....the whole psychic bunking and debunking debate... like the atheism vs. theism debate... seems like a bar fight in the corner. But that's just me. ..let the bottles fly.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited March 2012
    @RichardH I personally choose to steer clear of such debates myself, but in this situation I have merely given my point of view that people who wish to discuss such matters should if it is in the correct category, and I do not understand the motivation behind the OPs posting of this thread apart from wanting to start a debate/argument.

I have long ago learnt that the whole, "I am right you are wrong" idea leads nowhere pretty the majority of the time and it stems from an ego at the same time feeding the ego. in a lot of cases it doesn't really matter who is right or wrong, so I often stay clear of such threads and discussions.
  • Hey man... like aunt Mary with frozen face said to aunt Jean with the claw hand ..." different strokes for different folks"
  • Hey man... like aunt Mary with frozen face said to aunt Jean with the claw hand ..." different strokes for different folks"
    lol, I am not familiar with any of those people or that phrase, but I get the general idea. Like I said, live and let live :p I am popping off to bed now anyway. Night NB members, or good morning to the vast majority of you! :coffee:
  • One thing that bugs me about interest in spooky myterious stuff, is that sometimes the subject matter is really quite grave, or serious. Ghosthunters, for example, get a personal thrill just by the thought of a tormented soul trapped on earth. If there are people trapped between one world and the next and in trouble, you know, that's actually very sad.

Same thing with outer space beings or voice recordings, it is about suspicion and fear.
    I recently watched a sad documentary on Aokigahara forest, in which a local talks about the forest and his experiences being on a suicide watch. Most of the other documentaries I found on this subject were very sensationalist. People getting their rock off of some morbid stuff. Where is the consideration that these people had broken lives, and what about all the poor relatives who live with the hardship day in day out.

I don't want to point fingers at anyone interested in what I deem to be a 'morbid fascination' in certain matters, I just wanted to point out that I don't consider it to be particularly psychologically healthy... but that's probably just me.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Proving or disproving psychic phenomena is just not relevant to Buddhism.. according how I have been taught by both Theravadin and Zen teachers my whole adult life. Psychic things...Esp, out of body experiences and so forth, have no more relevance than baseball statistics, or fish and chips, or..

Your post is very important to me. You have actually enlightened me to a concept, although I'm pretty sure that what I've gotten out of your post is not what you intended.

I think saying that, "Proving or disproving psychic phenomena is just not relevant to Buddhism" is very significant.

But as I read that, my thought process (I think) changed what you said to, "Proving or disproving psychic phenomena is just not relevant to Buddhism, but not everything in life relates directly to Buddhism."

Me being on the computer today, for the most part does not relate to Buddhism. Me watching television today, listening to music, going to visit my neighbor, going grocery shopping, and all the other little things I do today are not relevant to Buddhism. It doesn't mean they are meaningless or have no value or importance. It doesn't mean that psychic phenomenon are not worth of exploration. It doesn't mean that contemplating God is a waste of time. Those things (and many others) are just not relevant to Buddhism.

Thank you!

One thing that bugs me about interest in spooky myterious stuff, is that sometimes the subject matter is really quite grave, or serious. Ghosthunters, for example, get a personal thrill just by the thought of a tormented soul trapped on earth. If there are people trapped between one world and the next and in trouble, you know, that's actually very sad.

Gee, for a minute I thought you were talking about the various Buddhist heavens and hells.

• If we are going to talk about stuff not related to Buddhism, my vote goes to talking about fishing...anyone got any hot spots they want to share?
  • edited March 2012
    @vinlyn

I don't rely upon oral tradition to make any statement on such matters and I also think it's a waste of time to think about or make conclusions, based upon fluffy anecdotes or emotional appeal.

It's being in the dark that appeals to many of us. Some of us don't want our mysteries solved, because it removes the fun and excitement. B5C is here to turn on the light, but please turn it back off again B5C, we're enjoying our fun in the dark.

That's fine but there are other considerations.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2012
    If it doesn't concern me, and I have had no experience, I simply ignore data, anecdote, opinion and experience as not being relevant to me right now, or conducive to my practice.
    Goodness knows, I have enough personal samsaric shit to deal with, without wondering about this kind of distraction......
    Thanks for that vinlyn and Richard :D.
  • I simply ignore data
    This is what the topic boils down to, and what is explicitly explained in the TED talk. Not that we don't all ignore data to some degree, but to do so willingly... No reason Buddhists should be exempt from this practice.
  • .... I have enough personal samsaric shit to deal with, without wondering about this kind of distraction......

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
  • Data is interesting stuff. For example, the average number of legs that humans have is less than two, due to some people missing one or both of their legs. With this in mind, would you be right in guessing the next person you meet will have less than two legs?
    edited March 2012

But as I read that, my thought process (I think) changed what you said to, "Proving or disproving psychic phenomena is just not relevant to Buddhism, but not everything in life relates directly to Buddhism."

I would say that everything in life ,every moment, every state, is not "Buddhism"... but is practice. Because I have absolutely no compensations left, the gig is up.

...and that practice cuts the root of metaphysical speculation. It cuts the root of all those "what is the universe?" questions.. Annihilates all questions and answers around that kind of thing... done... toast... and leaves just ordinary samsaric shit.... which is the matter at hand.

That where I am coming from..

• Data is interesting stuff. For example, the average number of legs that humans have is less than two, due to some people missing one or both of their legs. With this in mind, would you be right in guessing the next person you meet will have less than two legs?
    That's not data, obviously. Of course critical thinking is nessisary to make use of data.

• But as I read that, my thought process (I think) changed what you said to, "Proving or disproving psychic phenomena is just not relevant to Buddhism, but not everything in life relates directly to Buddhism."

I would say that everything in life ,every moment, every state, is not "Buddhism"... but is practice. Because I have absolutely no compensations left, the gig is up.

...and that practice cuts the root of metaphysical speculation. It cuts the root of all those "what is the universe?" questions.. Annihilates all questions and answers around that kind of thing... done... toast... and leaves just ordinary samsaric shit.... which is the matter at hand.

That being the case, your interest in this topic is... curious.
    I assume you are talking to Richard?

• But as I read that, my thought process (I think) changed what you said to, "Proving or disproving psychic phenomena is just not relevant to Buddhism, but not everything in life relates directly to Buddhism."

No good faith.. no parlez. :wave:
    That's not data, obviously. Of course critical thinking is nessisary to make use of data.
    Actually, that is data. My point is that data is not reality in and of itself.

Lol, you deliberatly provide an example that misleads to show how data can be misleading.

No good faith.. no parlez. :wave:
    Contrary to common belief, skepticism deepens faith, where there is faith.
    edited March 2012
    You don't understand the term "good faith" do you? ...

I would say your question was answered earlier in the thread, and I would also be happy to expand on the post you commented on, and exchange ideas and experiences. But I do not see you as doing anything here but playing a game of "gotcha" with no intention of worthwhile engagement.... and life is short. so in short, go bug someone else.

Lol, you deliberatly provide an example that misleads to show how data can be misleading.
    Bingo!

Bingo!

People get away with misleading others because some simply "ignore the data" ...
    Data is interesting stuff. For example, the average number of legs that humans have is less than two, due to some people missing one or both of their legs. With this in mind, would you be right in guessing the next person you meet will have less than two legs?

Bingo!

People get away with misleading others because some simply "ignore the data" ...
    Everything that's important in life is not data.

• You don't understand the term "good faith" do you? ...

I would say your question was answered earlier in the thread, and I would also be happy to expand on the post you commented on, and exchange ideas and experiences. But I do not see you as doing anything here but playing a game of "gotcha" with no intention of worthwhile engagement.... and life is short. so in short, go bug someone else.
    You are confuessed, I haven't asked a single guestion in this topic.

I am well aware of how some don't like questions, and why they don't like them.
  • Everything that's important in life is not data.
    Lol, okay, all data worshipers in the house may now bow their heads in shame.
    Everything that's important in life is not data.
    Lol, okay, all data worshipers in the house may now bow their heads in shame.
    I've never read a Buddhist scripture passage that encourages condescension.

• Everything that's important in life is not data.
    Apart from the cases where your life depends on data, like data used in medicine, data that ensures the airplane is flying correctly, etc... .