Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

When I see people posting EVPs, Psychics, Out of body experinces, and other superstutious stuff.

2»

Comments

• Here is what I see in the OP. I notice in his profile he is saying he cannot really tolerate Christianity, maybe because the hate was too much, or perhaps the judgment and expectations of that religion trying to define others beliefs was too much. But while he says he despises that type of thing on his profile, I see him doing the same thing.

It's one thing to not be interested in the supernatural and not believe in it, that's perfectly understandable. It's something else to say "most likely everything supernatural is fake or can be explained, watch this video and you will understand".
    Its honestly ignorant and rude to expect people to discredit their own unique experiences.

Brainwashing is the attempt to change the thoughts and beliefs of another person against what they thought was originally right. It's the same type of psychology that a fundamentalist religious person would have. Who is one person to say that they can explain an event of a strangers life if they were not there to begin with?

I do agree that most supernatural things can be explained, and are not actually supernatural. Most of them are hoax or wrongly identified. *However, there are too many first hand reports from credible, sane, brilliant people that includes them encountering something supernatural in such a way where they absolutely know what they encountered could not be explained.

There are so many reports like this that have been well documented that the skeptics want to discredit or not look into, because just like those fundamentalist Christian's they like to bash, they have already made up their mind that there way is the right way. They have already decided that modern science dictates what they know is possible, that is there replacement for the fundamentalist belief of a religious God.

There is enough credible material, witnesses, documents, and evidence out there to hold up in a court of law. It is absolutely possible to massively disclose the existence of spirits or visitation of extraterrestrial beings with evidence backing it up, it has already been done. And just because they exist, does not mean modern science has to understand how. Because there are many things modern science cannot yet figure out, that it will understand eventually. But because these types of encounters are so rare and not controllable it's not something that everyone will be able to believe.

So there is substantial amounts of supernatural related evidence and documentation of E.T.s visiting Earth, spirits interacting/communicating with humans, healers that manipulate chi and the bodies energy, monks that have unexplainable superhuman like powers that came from meditation. That's just the tip of the iceberg really, there is so much that Western science has yet to learn. Hell, Western, and Eastern medicine don't even agree with each other. That right there should show that one way does not always tend to be absolute.

The paranormal/supernatural is not all truth, but for sure, most likely it's not all fake. This I know with absolute certainty because I have made my own effort to search for the truth. To investigate it with my own senses, rather than solely relying on videos, text, or testimonial. I have researched it, studied it, searched for it, hunted for it, and have ended up genuinely experiencing supernatural events several times. Not because I expected something to happen, because I didn't. But because I was open to whatever did happen, and chose not to be oblivious to the result, whatever it could be. I also have debunked several of my own events I thought could be supernatural too, but there is a difference between being skeptical and being oblivious.

So I say, don't encourage people to be oblivious by discrediting experiences. Encourage them to be skeptical, but still to be open to the fact that it is possible to discover something new. It is possible to discover a truth that someone else has not yet seen or believes.
  • Everything that's important in life is not data.
    Lol, okay, all data worshipers in the house may now bow their heads in shame.
    I've never read a Buddhist scripture passage that encourages condescension.
    Indeed!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    You don't understand the term "good faith" do you? ...

I would say your question was answered earlier in the thread, and I would also be happy to expand on the post you commented on, and exchange ideas and experiences. But I do not see you as doing anything here but playing a game of "gotcha" with no intention of worthwhile engagement.... and life is short. so in short, go bug someone else.
    Richard, may I join you?

• Its honestly ignorant and rude to expect people to discredit their own unique experiences.
    That's quite a giant leap there, from the OP. Talk about running with the data. What does that even mean? Can you explain your reasoning?
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited March 2012

That's quite a giant leap there, from the OP. Talk about running with the data. What does that even mean? Can you explain your reasoning?
    The video itself is bashing the paranormal, stating that it's all fake. And the attitude of B5C in general regarding this subject has been to disregard and discredit peoples personal experiences with what he thinks is his own truth.
  • You don't understand the term "good faith" do you? ...

I would say your question was answered earlier in the thread, and I would also be happy to expand on the post you commented on, and exchange ideas and experiences. But I do not see you as doing anything here but playing a game of "gotcha" with no intention of worthwhile engagement.... and life is short. so in short, go bug someone else.
    Richard, may I join you?

yes, sure..

• That's quite a giant leap there, from the OP. Talk about running with the data. What does that even mean? Can you explain your reasoning?
    The video itself is bashing the paranormal, stating that it's all fake. And the attitude of B5C in general regarding this subject has been to disregard and discredit peoples personal experiences with what he thinks is his own truth.
    Then you missed the best part of the TED talk, in my opinion. For some a question or theory is the beginning of inquiry and discussion, for others a question or theory is the end of inquiry and discussion. We might ask why would it be the end for some? but that is another topic.
  • RichardH said:
    You don't understand the term "good faith" do you? ...
    Not really, I don't consider some peoples faith as good and other peoples faith as bad. But what you really ask is are we of the same faith. No, we're not, and I'm sorry that it matters to you.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    live and let live. Maybe ask yourself this, why are you making such a point of trying to make people who like to read or talk about such a topic see it in a different way? I personally do not have any great fondness of it, although some times curious, but why are you so intent on making this point?
    People believing in superstitious things blinds people from reality.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    H

I don't disagree with anything in this video. Especially the fact that even though the dousing rod looks like a rip off, Skeptic Magazine still did an experiment to prove it.
    Yeah, we did experiments with ghosts, EVPs, out of body experiences and many other superstitious stuff. A majority have lead to being fiction. Yet, people will still believe in it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    gosh you guys bicker worse than 9-year-old schoolboys....
  • gosh you guys bicker worse than 9-year-old schoolboys....
    hence
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm sorry, i missed that one.
    Yup.
  • Yup. :)
    gosh you guys bicker worse than 9-year-old schoolboys....
    Yeah, but there's nothing better than a girl fight!

:D
    True, it's definitely not better than a girl fight.
    Trouble is, women mature.
    Most men don't.

It's what my mother told me, and to date, I swear as I live and breathe, I have never found any man to contradict this piece of vital advice:

"It doesn't matter what job they have, what kind of house they own, how much they earn, what car they drive or what clothes they wear:

They're 9 years old."

I simply have never succeeded in applying a similar dictum to women.
    And to be honest, I've never found a man who's been able to either.
    It's all long-shots and doesn't span the profile.
    My mother's does.....
  • Worse, in my experiance men always think with their...
  • Worse, in my experiance men always think with their...
    Not so true, I would say a lot of guys do, but not all of us.
  • I was going to say brain.
  • I ain't no man hater.
  • A person who can do out of body experience is more close to reality than any western scientists including all noble price winners...he is gone beyond mathematical equations and physical reality...He saw it beyond any doubt...

I am glad @mr_serenity that you successfully done it. Now you know how this physical reality expands into other dimensions.

No need to listen what others have to tell us about our own experience. They are only rationalizing their own ideas for their own comfort. They are not explorers and they formalize the reality the way they want it. But if you look closely you see they are the ones who have no interest in reality at all.

They can't debunk sh*t...

Trouble is, women mature.
    Most men don't.

And even at age 62 I try to prove that at least once in a while.

:p
  • SileSile Veteran
    Water-witching (dousing) works. Well, at least for finding water pipes under the lawn.

• I would put this in a similar category as sports or celebrity gossip. I personally am interested in the supernatural. I don't know if I believe or not, but I'm interested. But to others, it's boring or even bad for you. That's how I feel about celebrity gossip, most pop music and mainstream tv. It's vapid and not worthy of my attention. But I don't see the point in trying to tell others why they shouldn't like it, I just mind my own business and filter it out.
  • I would put this in a similar category as sports or celebrity gossip. I personally am interested in the supernatural. I don't know if I believe or not, but I'm interested. But to others, it's boring or even bad for you. That's how I feel about celebrity gossip, most pop music and mainstream tv. It's vapid and not worthy of my attention. But I don't see the point in trying to ted all others why they shouldn't like it, I just mind my own business and filter it out.
    Kudos and admired. A lot of what you have said I think.
  • How could you put this under celebrity gossip category. Rdicilious...
    Celebrity gossip you learn nothing other than who f.ck who and how much money they have vs. an OBE experience which will wake you up and you learn so much about your psyche, about yourself, about existence and reality...
    What a nonsense comparison...
    Buddhism is about phenomenology as well...it is not only about your girl friend problems, or your emotional welfare....it is about reality...and astral realm is part of the reality...celebrity gossip is not a reality, it is a madeup social garbage...
  • No, I personally agree with you. I was trying to come at it from the standpoint of someone who does think it's trivial rubbish. To them it wouldn't be any more significant than celebrity gossip is to me. I was advising within that context that rather than trying to convince others they're wrong or misguided, to leave them to it and walk away. Do you know what I mean?
  • No, I personally agree with you. I was trying to come at it from the standpoint of someone who does think it's trivial rubbish. To them it wouldn't be any more significant than celebrity gossip is to me. I was advising within that context that rather than trying to convince others they're wrong or misguided, to leave them to it and walk away. Do you know what I mean?
    oh I see what you saying, sorry...got it..

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited March 2012
    :thumbup: where is the secret hand shake emoticon?
  • Heh.
  • I would put this in a similar category as sports or celebrity gossip. I personally am interested in the supernatural. I don't know if I believe or not, but I'm interested. But to others, it's boring or even bad for you. That's how I feel about celebrity gossip, most pop music and mainstream tv. It's vapid and not worthy of my attention. But I don't see the point in trying to tell others why they shouldn't like it, I just mind my own business and filter it out.
    Think Jim Jones. His followers simply 'ignored the data' and drank the Kool-Aid.
  • So everyone who independently seeks and reads information about paranormal phenomena is part of a cult and needs to be saved from themselves?
  • So everyone who independently seeks and reads information about paranormal phenomena is part of a cult and needs to be saved from themselves?
    er, not quite. One benefit of critical thinking or 'not ignoring the data' is that you'll not be mislead, at least not as easily.

That seems like a good benefit to me, an important benefit. Do you think so too?
  • I absolutely do. I have the benefit of critical thinking myself. It's why I'm not affected by advertising, because I know all the tricks and see through it. I'm not suggesting don't use any discernment when someone expects you to believe something you consider to be without basis. I'm suggesting that when other people believe something, are utterly convinced of this but aren't harming anyone, well, walk away. You know?

For example, I love to read about paranormal phenomena. Do I believe everything I read? Not for a second. Doesn't mean there may not be some merit to some of it. And it doesn't mean it isn't interesting. Proposing a theory doesn't always mean subscribing to it. It just means asking a question.
  • I absolutely do. I have the benefit of critical thinking myself. It's why I'm not affected by advertising, because I know all the tricks and see through it. I'm not suggesting don't use any discernment when someone expects you to believe something you consider to be without basis. I'm suggesting that when other people believe something, are utterly convinced of this but aren't harming anyone, well, walk away. You know?

For example, I love to read about paranormal phenomena. Do I believe everything I read? Not for a second. Doesn't mean there may not be some merit to some of it. And it doesn't mean it isn't interesting. Proposing a theory doesn't always mean subscribing to it. It just means asking a question.
    I am not bashing your knowledge by any means @pyramidsong but I studied graphic design at college and uni and there is a lot behind advertising many people will never know about. Nothin to do with siblimimal messagening etc, it goes far deeper.
  • pyramidsongpyramidsong Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Well, I will amend that to I'm not affected by obvious advertising. Seeing advertisements for luxury cars doesn't make me feel aspirational or inadequate, advertisements with models don't make me want to diet or buy some silly face cream... I don't care what gadgets my peers are buying... Etc. I used to love reading adbusters. But I have no doubt there are some sneaky psychological tricks at play that we're not aware of. I read an article in the NY times that had a trend analyst talking about how they figured out women were pregnant then sent them targeted advertising. Ick.

I also know about store layouts/colours, psychological tricks with eye-level, scents piped in to stores to trigger responses and so on.

I am intrigued and I love reading about conspiracies. Anything you can elaborate on?
  • edited March 2012
    I absolutely do. I have the benefit of critical thinking myself. It's why I'm not affected by advertising, because I know all the tricks and see through it. I'm not suggesting don't use any discernment when someone expects you to believe something you consider to be without basis. I'm suggesting that when other people believe something, are utterly convinced of this but aren't harming anyone, well, walk away. You know?

Well said. Though I will point out again that for some 'subscription' means the end of the conversation and the death of questioning. This was pointed out in the TED talk.
  • Well, I will amend that to I'm not affected by obvious advertising. Seeing advertisements for luxury cars doesn't make me feel aspirational or inadequate, advertisements with models don't make me want to diet or buy some silly face cream... I don't care what gadgets my peers are buying... Etc. I used to love reading adbusters. But I have no doubt there are some sneaky psychological tricks at play that we're not aware of. I read an article in the NY times that had a trend analyst talking about how they figured out women were pregnant then sent them targeted advertising. Ick.

I also know about store layouts/colours, psychological tricks with eye-level, scents piped in to stores to trigger responses and so on.

I am intrigued and I love reading about conspiracies. Anything you can elaborate on?
    It's 2.30am but all I will say it if you are interested research 'advertising anf ideologies' or 'advertising and discource of power' or 'advertising and colour resemblence', and also any product that is desirable uses models that are seen as beautiful, any product that is seen as use for change uses models that are average or 'ugly'. I was personally disguated at how the public is targeted an is one reason why I left, anyway there is a lot of more in detail but right noe Tom is off to bed lol. Although good for you for not getting influenced, however, if you are subject to these medias you may not realize it.
  • pyramidsongpyramidsong Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Pokey, that's true. Depending on context it can be problematic.