Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does true altruism exist?

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited March 2012 in Philosophy
Does truly altruistic behavior exist (acting in the interest of others often at the expense of their own interests and with no expectation of benefit for themselves in the future), or is it all simply enlightned self-interest or psychological egoism?

Here's an interesting Radio Lab show on altruism if interested.

To my mind if it can be shown that someone acts solely in the interest for another without expectation for return (either directly or in the sense of passing genes on or for the benefit of the social group), such as the story of Wesley Autrey, then that motivation can be cultivated in meditation and can grow to the point that it becomes ones primary motivation.

Agree, disagree, thoughts, opinions?

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I believe Buddhism allows for one to see their self cherishing ways in all things.

By seeing and acknowledging that we are mostly selfish, we can then try to actively combat our egos.

So yes true altruism does exist. But first the self must be understood.

Also altruism is a middle stance imho. Not overly focusing on self or other, but on both (individual and collective). And in a way without wisdom it doesn't last too long.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited March 2012
    What I find intriguing about Wesley Autrey is that in seeing him being interviewes after he never struck me as a particularly noble or religious minded person and he had his 2 daughters along with him at the time, which would have stopped most people.

There's also this example of one dog saving another from traffic.

I'd particularly like to hear how a skeptic of altruism explains these acts and if anyone else knows of an act of altruism (of a stranger, not family or friends) please post them.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    "Altruism" derives from Latin ... "alter," meaning "other."

Buddhism asks some pretty skeptical questions about the separation between one thing and another. In fact, it can come down pretty hard on an "other" -- just about as hard as it can on an imagined "one" or "oneness."

Dualism, monism ... it's a lot of sweat. Probably better just to be as kind as possible, where possible, and let some philosopher worry about who benefits.
    Great points @genkaku What does it even mean to be altruistic if there's no difference between self and other?
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Great points @genkaku What does it even mean to be altruistic if there's no difference between self and other?
    @person -- IF there is no difference between self and other is not exactly the same as the fact that there is no difference between self and other.... unless, of course, you would like to make the difference.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    person, if I understand the premise of your OP, I must say, I find it offensive. Basically, you're saying you don't believe anyone helps others just because it's the right thing to do, or because their heart is moved to do so. You're saying everyone has ulterior ego-based motives. You're wrong. Honestly, I'm surprised to see this coming from you. Do you really believe that? If so, why are we all mucking around with Buddhism, then? And fyi, not all acts of altruism are acts of exceptional heroism that would make it into the media. Most altruism takes place quietly, on a more or less day-to-day basis.

So, may I infer from your OP that you've never done anything altruistic in your life? This is what you're leading us to think.
    @Dakini I think you misunderstood my post. There are those who argue that true altruism doesn't exist, that its all self interest. Then I linked a story of what I thought was an example of genuine altruism and explained how I thought from that an ongoing attitude of altruism could be developed.

As far as my own experience, I come from a place of a very narcissistic personality. I've managed to change my ways to a degree but I do often feel like its just an act. I recently took a simple online test for narcissism and scored a 16, 13-15 is normal 20 is narcissism. I honestly don't know that I've done anything altruistic, I've done lots of kind things and some compassionate things but I'm not convinced they weren't done more just because I wanted people to like me or because I thought it was the 'right' thing to do.
  • Self interest is altruism with ignorance.

We are altruistic to our core. We just have ignorance.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    @taiyaki - I like that very much - alturism with ignorance!! very good :)

Evolution is driven by reciprocal alturism (recounted by Kant's social unsociability) - human behaviour (by game theory) is split into zero-sum and non-zero-sum games - in effect, noone is truly alturistic and if they are then it is for limited periods when it benefits them (as fortunes are mixed and dependant on each other) - this however assumes that everyone is motivated by self-preservation (which underpins innate behaviour and evolutionary challenges and responses).

Alturism is possible as a principle - it is defined sufficiently succinctly.

However, if you connect all the dots in your behaviour then perhaps true / pure alturism will undoubtedly be blemished by another facet of your personality - e.g. you give a homeless person some money - at the time you want nothing in return - in your mind somewhere you know giving is the path to heaven - you'd like to go to heaven (or maybe you just fear hell) - where is the driver for the giving? was it subconsciously or consciously motivated by your desire to avoid hell or go to heaven?

Challenging one as though my snap thought was yes it is perfectly possible - i think I'm resting on 'yes it is possible and if it is achieved then it will be a systemic condition and not something that can be judged on one act or another'...
    Evolution is driven by reciprocal alturism (recounted by Kant's social unsociability) - human behaviour (by game theory) is split into zero-sum and non-zero-sum games - in effect, noone is truly alturistic and if they are then it is for limited periods when it benefits them (as fortunes are mixed and dependant on each other) - this however assumes that everyone is motivated by self-preservation (which underpins innate behaviour and evolutionary challenges and responses).

Alturism is possible as a principle - it is defined sufficiently succinctly.

However, if you connect all the dots in your behaviour then perhaps true / pure alturism will undoubtedly be blemished by another facet of your personality - e.g. you give a homeless person some money - at the time you want nothing in return - in your mind somewhere you know giving is the path to heaven - you'd like to go to heaven (or maybe you just fear hell) - where is the driver for the giving? was it subconsciously or consciously motivated by your desire to avoid hell or go to heaven?
    You spell out the arguments against altruism very nicely. This is why I posted the examples. I can't come up with an explanation for the behavior under a selfish model.
    Challenging one as though my snap thought was yes it is perfectly possible - i think I'm resting on 'yes it is possible and if it is achieved then it will be a systemic condition and not something that can be judged on one act or another'...
    I guess I'm wondering if you mean that altruism is only achieved by someone who abides in that state as a trait, like a bodhisattva. Or do you feel that anyone at anytime can transcend their self driven motivations and engage in an act of altruism?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I thought once that mother Teresa was entirely altruistic, but I'm not sure.....
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I thought once that mother Teresa was entirely altruistic, but I'm not sure.....
    While I think Mother Teresa appeared to be kind and generous, I would question the altruism since she was also attempting to convert people.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012

e.g. you give a homeless person some money - at the time you want nothing in return - in your mind somewhere you know giving is the path to heaven - you'd like to go to heaven (or maybe you just fear hell) - where is the driver for the giving? was it subconsciously or consciously motivated by your desire to avoid hell or go to heaven?
    You're making assumptions, here. Maybe this is how some people think, but others are altruistic out of basic empathy, and sometimes just because it's the right thing to do, or because they want to make the world a better place and end suffering.

@person Thanks for the explanation.

• It's a matter of view I think. Dhana/giving in buddhism is not mandatory to be a Buddhist. It is always done with letting something go. The giver has no fixed nature and their intention is also empty. The gift recipient is not fixed. All are a booming buzzing confusion. So anything can happen.

This is why altruism can exist. Because anything can happen in a vast view that doesn't have a clue what he or she is doing. Lower yogis are corrected by higher ones.

You're making assumptions, here. Maybe this is how some people think, but others are altruistic out of basic empathy, and sometimes just because it's the right thing to do, or because they want to make the world a better place and end suffering.

@person Thanks for the explanation.

I agree.

There are times I expect to "get something" out of a charitable donation -- such as when I contribute to the Heart Association (since I have heart conditions).

But recently I gave a former student of mine some financial assistance. I don't really expect to see him again (we live on opposite sides of the continent), I don't expect to be repaid, I don't expect he will ever be in a position to do anything for me, and I never thought it would help me get into some higher realm. I just did it. Perhaps that was approaching altruism...but I also feel that it's no big deal. Just something that needed to be done.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    But recently I gave a former student of mine some financial assistance. I don't really expect to see him again (we live on opposite sides of the continent), I don't expect to be repaid, I don't expect he will ever be in a position to do anything for me, and I never thought it would help me get into some higher realm. I just did it. Perhaps that was approaching altruism...but I also feel that it's no big deal. Just something that needed to be done.
    :clap: There you go! You're our "Exhibit A". That's the kind of world I want to live in, and try to create around me--where giving someone a leg up is no big deal, just something that needs to be done. :thumbsup:

@person For some reason I can't envision you as narcissistic.

@person For some reason I can't envision you as narcissistic.
    Well, I've always been a reasonably nice person but I was very self absorbed, just not in a mean way. I've developed my mindfulness and now understand ethical behavior so I don't act in self absorbed ways unmindful of other people. But if I really look at my motivation I can't say that I really feel that concerned about others, I feel that I'm just trying to do the right thing most of the time.

I think this is where the motivation for this post comes from.
  • does it matter if the one who helped did it because of altruistic or egoistic reasons to the one who received the help? that question just came up to me.
  • Selfishly focus on other people.
  • better selfishly focus on your own happiness because if you are happy you stop to be selfish ;).
    does it matter if the one who helped did it because of altruistic or egoistic reasons to the one who received the help? that question just came up to me.
    Good point, that thought occured to me too. For a one off event maybe not, but I can imagine where someone is helpful because they feel its the right thing to do but if things get too hairy or require more than they planned on they could bail leaving the helpee in bad way.

For example taking on a foster child because you want to be a good person. Then the child has problems and it becomes somewhat of a hardship so you give up on the child that has maybe come to depend on you.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    does it matter if the one who helped did it because of altruistic or egoistic reasons to the one who received the help?
    From a Buddhist perspective, that's irrelevant. The goal is to develop altruism based on selfless compassion.

• ZeroZero Veteran
    I guess I'm wondering if you mean that altruism is only achieved by someone who abides in that state as a trait, like a bodhisattva.
    Or do you feel that anyone at anytime can transcend their self driven motivations and engage in an act of altruism?
    Perhaps both...

to say one is 'alturistic' presents challenges as alturism demands utter self-sacrifice (it is an act benifitting another at its own expense) - this goes against the core human survival trait - I think to qualify as an 'alturitic person', one would need to abandon all desires of self-preservation completely and devote wholeheartedly to the pursuit of others' gain probably (?) at expense to oneself - I cant imagine that life would last very long in that state - perhaps one way around this is to look at it as 'I preserve myself to some extent so I can serve others more'... that theme is echoed by Buddhist principles of look after yourself so you can serve others etc - however by definition alturism would be at the 'expense of yourself' so therefore should you be looking after yourself in a perfect alturistic position?

That said, individual acts may well be alturistic and it is possible to engage in an act of alturism... that may be as one can absorb a certain level of 'expense' but there is a line - as long as there is a line then maybe it is not possible to be truly purely alturistic.

Maybe it doesnt need to be looked at too closely - if a person performs an 'alturistic' act however that person is motivated by say a desire to go to heaven but the effect and performance of that act would be same regardless then maybe it doesnt matter as the net effect is the same.

In one way, the monks who set themselves on fire were performing a truly alturistic act? How many could follow that level of devotion to a doctrine...
    Granted - many assumptions - its not meant as a slight at anyone who is undertaking an alturistic act (whether that be true or not) - I'm just engaging in the thought experiment without meaning to take anything away from anyone.

I agree with you that people do go 'out of their way' a lot just because they do... that said, what about the desire to 'make the world a better place'? Is this not a desire of the giver? or another way, is that something that is as 'expense' to the giver?

I think that the definition of alturism is a tough one - it appears to require 'disinterest' in personal position as well as 'at expense' to you...

Here's a nice short article on altruism or selfish goodness.

http://www.teatime-mag.com/magazines/12-de/did-you-know/
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Does truly altruistic behavior exist
    YES!!! :rant:
    Does that answer the question? Why it exists is a whole other question.
    does it matter if the one who helped did it because of altruistic or egoistic reasons to the one who received the help? that question just came up to me.
    You're right, of course, but I see that as a different issue from the OP's question.

• You're right, of course, but I see that as a different issue from the OP's question.
    Yeah not entirely on topic. That question went more in the direction "does it matter if there is altruistic behaviour?". Now, after some thinking i wonder if it even matters to the helper if his motives were altruistic.

To contribute to the topic:

Is there even a strict definition of altruism? Does it count as altruism if you feel good while acting? Do you have to feel bad while acting or do you need to feel nothing?

On several occasions i gave money to people that were in a pinch. I never got the money back but the giving made me feel good or better the giving made a unpleasant feeling i got when thinking about their situation go away. From a financial viewpoint it was altruistic because that went on my expense. From a emotional viewpoint it was egoistic.
    To better define what I mean by altruism.

In the OP there is "acting in the interest of others often at the expense of their own interests and with no expectation of benefit for themselves in the future."

This is in opposition to the partly evolutionary theory of altruism as a means of furthering your genetic code or altruistic behavior in order to benefit the in group for advancement of the group.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    don't do things if they are harmful to you and harmful to others
    don't do things if they are harmful to you but good to others
    don't do things if they are good to you but harmful to others
    Do things if they are good to you and good to others

(above is in a sutta but i am not quite sure in which sutta)
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I think the way you define altruism is not an accurate description of what happens.

We have mirror neurons. They make us feel the pain and the joy of other beings, much like they are our own.
    When we see someone is burning his hand, the brain does a check on the nerves in our own hand. Only because of that check, we don’t literally feel our own hand getting burned.

It’s so good -psychologically- to have a dog, because the easiest thing in the world is to make a dog happy. Give it some attention, give it a cookie, and throw a ball. The dog will be happy without restraint. And we feel the joy through our mirror neurons. Bingo.
    The short cut to happiness is giving the dog a cookie. It’s both selfish and altruistic. There’s no gap.

We need to open our hearts. That is; we have to carefully experience what our mirror neurons are doing. When we suppress the experience, our world will become very small. Our mirror neurons open up the world to us.
    How does a drop of water avoid drying up?
    By throwing itself into the ocean.
    (from the movie Samsara)
    @zenff I like what you're saying. My understanding of what you're saying is that altruism is selfish to an extent but the differentiation between self and other is blurred. So its not like this person over here is doing something beneficial for the other person over there. There is just a deep level of identification with the suffering of others so an altruistic act is one that has no identification but only seeks to alleviate suffering.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    @person I think you said it better.
  • @person, I am impressed that you saw narcissistic tendancies and worked on mindfullness. I was married into a family of NPD's, both my inlaws were diagnosed and my ex was not diagnosed but I still know what I know. I have never thought there was any hope for an NPD and this gives me hope (still someone scoring a 20 without any self reflection like you have and I keep on the other side of the planet).

There were things that have struck me as odd, and one was that when I was struggling with a person I had volunteered with spreading lies about me my ex said that everyone does that, plus he refused to help with his kids' activities by volunteering because he said he was not a 'sucker' (to me who always helped). I honestly did not believe this mind set was possible before I had a lot of experience with him. I assumed people were truly altruistic or at least trying pretty hard at it with glitches. To hear and fully understand that some people were not at all altruistic was as mind-bending as someone who can't imagine true altruism.

Sorry, this topic and a recent conversation with ex have me in a shudder mood.
    Narcissism usually arises as a result of emotional trauma and acts as a kind of protective bubble against further hurt. In my case I wasn't so much of a dick as I was just unaware of and unconcerned for others feelings. Also the only reason I began to look at my behavior was that my attitude really wrecked my social life and I ended up eventually turning to Buddhism as an answer.
  • Yeah that emotional trauma angle I think kept me working things out with my ex for a long time. He was actually much better during the struggling years. He had to care about others more because he was more vulnerable in general. Still I would get calls after parties asking what was wrong with him because of his behavior.

Then the worst thing that happened was he started earning a lot more money in just a few years after lots of struggling years. He got so much worse. He didn't care anymore and now deserved everything material because of how much he had suffered. He has decent moments like his mom dying 2 weeks ago, but I have not seen an underlying change.

You should be really proud of yourself. We are all self concerned to a large extent and need to pay attention to that, but Buddhism really helps that.
    @AHeerdt Thanks for the kind words. I think the person has to really want to change. For myself I think that change was easier because I never wanted to or liked hurting people I was just oblivious to the fact. So once I became aware of how my actions effected others I was motivated to modify my behavior. Still a work in progress though.
  • edited March 2012
    This seems to be a some what cynical thread, but it seems to me that those that have experienced a truly altruistic moment do not understand how a person that has never felt it questions it.
    If being altruistic truly means the person is that all the time about every single thing, then I would go with Zero's comment that the person would not be able to live very long, as there are some people that would take advantage of the person until is utterly exhausted.
    However, I do firmly believe there are people that live a large portion of their lives in an altruistic way, and there are even more out there that do altruist acts and a few that never doing anything altruistic at all. I believe there are people that altruism naturally comes to and there are those that have to work hard at it. However eventually of those purest people that live out here with the rest of us do reach a limit, become sheltered, or die. Society simply would eat a person up that was pure altruistic these days. I would think if there are any purely altruistic elders left then they would be people born in and live nearly their whole life in a monastery or convent, thus there would be very little knowledge of such people. Also consider the acts of very young children, many things that come from them come from the purest of hearts. It is the events of living and that teach us we need to preserve ourselves, we slowly close us off to altruism.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Society simply would eat a person up that was pure altruistic these days.
    Being altruistic doesn't mean you go about it blindly. You have to be smart about it. That's why they talk about "idiot compassion" vs. wise compassion.
  • I don't need no highfalutin "true" altruism, I welcome the ordinary kind.
    I just rewatched this Mind and Life conference and at 1:31:00 Richard Davidson starts a presentation on the possible biological 'selfish' reasons for altruism and sparks a very good discussion on the topic. Near the end the point is made that the Buddhist perspective isn't quite the same as that a truely altruistic act must be completely without benefit for the actor, so this modern psychological dichotomy doesn't really hold.

Or download it here.
  • Wouldn't a monk be as Altruist as they come?
  • I think a good book on this subject is The Selfish Gene by evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins. I've only read part of it, but it talks about altruism and why it may exist from evolution's standards.
    I think a good book on this subject is The Selfish Gene by evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins. I've only read part of it, but it talks about altruism and why it may exist from evolution's standards.
    Yes thanks, this is kind of what the discussion above centers around. How altruism may be explained from an evolutionary perspective.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited April 2012
    While I think Mother Teresa appeared to be kind and generous, I would question the altruism since she was also attempting to convert people.

My understanding is the motivation is based on a belief which gives the understanding that " conversion " is in the best interest of all.

In past few years I have had experiences where I have seen that my own position meant that when asked " what I thought " in a particular situation I needed to acknowledge to the other person that I could not be all that altruisitic in the scenario due to my own position !!

Some of the writing and reading I have done on Mother Teresa has this understanding in it also and a Catholic priest I know has this understanding and he will say to me I am speaking as a Catholic - as human beings we are all cultured into a world view.

That is what is so liberating about being introduced to and being able to practice the ideas of Buddhism, isn't it?

^^ So you are suggesting that converting people from Asian religions (including Buddhism) to Catholicism is a good thing?
  • Nooooo .... lol.
    The point was more along the lines of Mother Teresa was not a practicing Buddhist.
    HHDL has made public comments about her work as a Catholic nun.
    To me when you attempt to convert someone to any religion, when they did not seek it, you are saying, "I am better than you."
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I tend to agree with your sentiment. Maybe more accurately, it is based on the idea " I know better than you ".
    As Buddhists it seems what they are really saying is " I believe better than you " and that is where the problems often begin.
    My understanding of Mother Teresa's work is that much good was done - often those involved were definately seeking " something " if not actual " conversion' as you put it.