Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Abortion

124»

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @Jason, seeing something as a gradual training is not the same as saying they are merely training rules.

And no, there's nothing wrong with seeing things from a critical perspective, as long as the field is open to looking at all things with a critical perspective...and that includes various aspects of Buddhism. Having a critical perspective is either a good thing or it's not.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    If you happen to take the time to check out some of the other links that reference various aspects of the path as 'rules of training,' and compare them to what I said, I think you may see that my understanding of the precepts as training rules isn't all that unreasonable.
    MaryAnne
    Jason said:

If you happen to take the time to check out some of the other links that reference various aspects of the path as 'rules of training,' and compare them to what I said, I think you may see that my understanding of the precepts as training rules isn't all that unreasonable.

Perhaps. But the 5 primary Precepts are also key considerations in moral codes of almost every society on earth. And that social compact is what brings order to the world. Take away those 5 principles, and I'd hate to see what this world would be like. So they are not "mere" anything.

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Most abortions are done for the sake of convenience, not for the life of the mother or in cases of rape or incest. To terminate the life of a being based on what is convenient for me is IMO, is at best unethical. One can abort up to 12 weeks, is this not a being?
    As Buddhist we are so concerned about an ant or a worm or a wasp but what about this one, who by our choice is here. Does it deserve no compassion.
    Abortion is an act of violence, one is destroying a life. Parse it up all one wants but one's intention and motivation in having an abortion is to end the life of this being. Period.
    My opinion only.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Simply being a man does not preclude one from forming an opinion. I don't torture people nor do I suffer from cancer yet I can have the opinion that torture is wrong and cancer sucks.
    edited August 2012

Most abortions are done for the sake of convenience, not for the life of the mother or in cases of rape or incest.

Hm. I'm not sure I'd call this rather difficult decision one of convenience. I think it unfairly trivializes what can very often be a traumatic decision; and most people I know who have had one didn't do so simply out of convenience. They deserve compassion too.

Most abortions are done for the sake of convenience, not for the life of the mother or in cases of rape or incest. To terminate the life of a being based on what is convenient for me is IMO, is at best unethical. One can abort up to 12 weeks, is this not a being?
    As Buddhist we are so concerned about an ant or a worm or a wasp but what about this one, who by our choice is here. Does it deserve no compassion.
    Abortion is an act of violence, one is destroying a life. Parse it up all one wants but one's intention and motivation in having an abortion is to end the life of this being. Period.
    My opinion only.

:thumbsup:

Simply being a man does not preclude one from forming an opinion. I don't torture people nor do I suffer from cancer yet I can have the opinion that torture is wrong and cancer sucks.

:thumbup:
  • vinlyn said:

MaryAnne said:

I also side with modern science when it comes to when a fetus becomes a "baby" or an independent self/ living creature. IMO, Until that fetus develops a normal brain, a developed respiratory and nervous system, it is not a viable independent living person.

I think there's a problem with your "definition". Many babies who are born prematurely have not yet fully developed a respiratory system which can exists without medical intervention. Are they not "babies"? They cannot live as a "viable independent living person" sometimes for weeks.

In medical terminology, Fetus = in the uterus; Baby = Born (out of the uterus).

A fetus has only a 60% chance of survival if it is born at 24 weeks gestation - with medical intervention.
    A fetus being born before 20 weeks is unlikely to survive regardless of medical technology and intervention. Around 20 weeks, the survival rate is significantly lower than 30% with extraordinary medical intervention.
    If my 'baby' was born more than 2 months premature, (before the 32 week milestone) I'm not sure I would approve of any extraordinary medical intervention. But that's another discussion....

8 out of 10 abortions done in the USA are done at 12 weeks or earlier. So what are we comparing? I personally believe all abortions should be done prior to the 14 or maybe16 week mark - unless there are dire medical circumstances for the fetus or woman discovered after that point.
    Now a days we usually can't find out if a fetus has significant disabilities or defects until it is beyond 14 weeks....

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Personally, I believe the whole 'life begins at conception' thing is one interpretation of the Buddha's teachings, most likely formulated much later, and not the actual words of Buddha.
    Well we don't know for sure, but it's worth looking at what the suttas actually say. Here is an extract from MN9, the Discourse on Right View:

26. "And what is birth, what is the origin of birth, what is the cessation of birth, what is the way leading to the cessation of birth? The birth of beings into the various orders of beings, their coming to birth, precipitation [in a womb], generation, manifestation of the aggregates, obtaining the bases for contact — this is called birth. With the arising of being there is the arising of birth. With the cessation of being there is the cessation of birth. The way leading to the cessation of birth is just this Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view... right concentration."

But the Buddha also taught the importance of compassion:
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.1.08.than.html
    I think it unfairly trivializes what can very often be a traumatic decision; and most people I know who have had one didn't do so simply out of convenience. They deserve compassion too.
    I agree. But doesn't this need to be balanced with compassion for the unborn child?
  • ZeroZero Veteran

I think it unfairly trivializes what can very often be a traumatic decision; and most people I know who have had one didn't do so simply out of convenience. They deserve compassion too.
    I agree. But doesn't this need to be balanced with compassion for the unborn child?

Buddhism, in its time, was aligned with the technology of its time.

Times move on as does our understanding and technology.

In the current framework, compassion for the unborn child is present - it in part defines the threshold of permissible abortion.

To seek to stretch compassion behind the threshold implies that you do not agree with science's interpretation - that is your right of course - so... if the current system and evidence does not satisfy you, then what alternative do you propose? Relying on an ancient text? A religious belief? Your own desires and emotions?

I agree with you that it is not ideal by a long shot.

That said, arbitrarily imputing a personality to a collection of multiplying cells probably won't help women facing the issue - one doesn't need scientific reasoning to see that they are alive and sentient and need a great deal of compassion from society as a whole.
    In the current framework, compassion for the unborn child is present - it in part defines the threshold of permissible abortion.
    To seek to stretch compassion behind the threshold implies that you do not agree with science's interpretation - that is your right of course - so... if the current system and evidence does not satisfy you, then what alternative do you propose? Relying on an ancient text? A religious belief? Your own desires and emotions?
    I think the law on abortion is an ethical and political matter, rather than a scientific one. I used to be very much pro-choice, now I'm not so sure - it seems to me that life begins at the point of conception.
  • ZeroZero Veteran

I think the law on abortion is an ethical and political matter, rather than a scientific one. I used to be very much pro-choice, now I'm not so sure - it seems to me that life begins at the point of conception.

Ethics and politics can't stand alone from science in this context - science is our current understanding of the world in as objective a language as possible.

I take your point on your perception.

What formed the (your) perception that life begins at conception?
    Jason said:

Most abortions are done for the sake of convenience, not for the life of the mother or in cases of rape or incest.

Hm. I'm not sure I'd call this rather difficult decision one of convenience. I think it unfairly trivializes what can very often be a traumatic decision; and most people I know who have had one didn't do so simply out of convenience. They deserve compassion too.
    Everyone deserves compassion. If convenience sounds too trivial what would be a better alternative? In having an abortion if one is not trying to save one's life, what are the other reasons it is done for if not for physical, financial or emotional convenience? One is destroying a life, what are the compelling reasons for this? I don't believe in a god or an afterlife, so all we have is now, the lives we have now. For me to deny something it's life there has to be a very compelling reason for doing so. What is the compelling reason in the majority of abortions? I consider this choice ethically untenable and as a Buddhist I consider this an act of violence and destruction and as such I cannot support it. Each is free to make their own choices and draw their own conclusions.

Jason said:

Everyone deserves compassion. If convenience sounds too trivial what would be a better alternative? In having an abortion if one is not trying to save one's life, what are the other reasons it is done for if not for physical, financial or emotional convenience? One is destroying a life, what are the compelling reasons for this? I don't believe in a god or an afterlife, so all we have is now, the lives we have now. For me to deny something it's life there has to be a very compelling reason for doing so. What is the compelling reason in the majority of abortions? I consider this choice ethically untenable and as a Buddhist I consider this an act of violence and destruction and as such I cannot support it. Each is free to make their own choices and draw their own conclusions.
    Morally I agree. Legally I do not.

edited August 2012
    @vinlyn "Morally I agree. Legally I do not."
    I am not asking this to codified into law, banning abortions.
    edited August 2012

@vinlyn "Morally I agree. Legally I do not."
    I am not asking this to codified into law, banning abortions.

I understand. Just stating a viewpoint.

edited August 2012

Jason said:

While I understand your position and that you feel strongly about it, I don't think the way it's being expressed shows very much compassion towards the women who have had, or are considering on having, an abortion, especially the members here who have shared their personal stories with us. By saying things like it's an "act of violence and destruction," you may be expressing your opinion, but you're also saying things that may very well cause someone who has made this difficult decision to suffer even more.

This is one area where I think members should try to be considerate of other members.
    RebeccaSVastmindMaryAnnefedericazombiegirl
    Jason said:

While I understand your position and that you feel strongly about it, I don't think the way it's being expressed shows very much compassion towards the women who have had, or are considering on having, an abortion, especially the members here who have shared their personal stories with us. By saying things like it's an "act of violence and destruction," you may be expressing your opinion, but you're also saying things that may very well cause someone who has made this difficult decision to suffer even more.

This is one area where I think members should try to be considerate of other members.

What you've just said, Jason, actually demonstrates a point I was making. To me it sort of fits under the concept of "right speech", which is related to the Precept of "false speech".

You say that the 5 Precepts are "just" training rules (the quotations are mine).
    I assume you believe that there is no negative karma unless the harm is intentional.

So, to me, based on the standards I think you hold, if I were Theswingisyellow, I would say to you that it's "just" a training rule and my harm was unintentional...therefore, no problem.

Similarly, I don't think murder is "just" a training rule.

While the Precepts may "be thought of" as training rules, I feel they are much, much more, including the basic social compact that makes up civilization.

edited August 2012
    vinlyn said:

What you've just said, Jason, actually demonstrates a point I was making. To me it sort of fits under the concept of "right speech", which is related to the Precept of "false speech".

You say that the 5 Precepts are "just" training rules (the quotations are mine).
    I assume you believe that there is no negative karma unless the harm is intentional.

So, to me, based on the standards I think you hold, if I were Theswingisyellow, I would say to you that it's "just" a training rule and my harm was unintentional...therefore, no problem.

Similarly, I don't think murder is "just" a training rule.

While the Precepts may "be thought of" as training rules, I feel they are much, much more, including the basic social compact that makes up civilization.

My comment has nothing to do with the precepts or the eight fold path; it has to do with site moderation and trying to make NewBuddhist a safe and welcoming place for its members. In this case, we're talking about a fairly emotional issue, and one where members have shared their personal stories with us. So while I appreciate opinions about abortion being a violation of the first precept, I also have to take into consideration the feelings of the members who have had an abortion, especially those who have shared their personal experiences with us. We certainly don't want anyone who shares intimate details like that here to feel judged or unwelcome (like implying they're murderers, for example).
    MaryAnne
    If this act is not destructive, then what is it? In debating the implications of our actions, does it not require us to drop the euphemisms and speak plainly?
    I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings nor have I attempted to do so. Who implied anything about murder? While I can't help others decisions nor their feelings regarding their choices my intent and motivation was not to hurt, or judge or make anyone feel unwelcome.
    If I come across as forceful or aggressive you have my apologies. I could address any number of issues in this way, if I embark on a decision I ask myself:
    Is this decision harmful or harmless?
    What is my intention?
    What is my motivation?
    These same things I would ask about the very question we are speaking of.
    All the best,
    Todd

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @Theswingisyellow...I love speaking plainly!

The baby pic was way overboard! Because you have no experience
    with a uterus, how come you did'nt show pics of all stages?
    Sperm meeting the egg with a drink and a cheap pick up line?
    That pic was a red flag of intention for me.
    As a woman. Like it or not. If it's about ethics or morals, then look
    at the science and the Buddha opinion, not YOUR emotional
    response. My womanly response comes from the intention of a
    uterus. If you have no experience, then 'your' opinion is judgemental, from
    a man, not having the uterus. What are the moral implications of your penis?
    As far as a decent example. Legal or moral. Plainly speaking, of course. :)
    MaryAnneRebeccaSzombiegirl
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited August 2012

Regarding the Precepts being 'guidelines' or 'commandments' -

I may not be an expert, I may not have committed to any specific tradition of Buddhism, nor studied any particular tradition in as much depth as many others here have; I may not have traveled the world, but I have read a lot about Buddhism over the course of many years, written by both informed laypeople as well as spiritual Buddhist leaders and I have come across the precepts being presented as "guidelines" over and over again, many times.
    Many times described as "not like the 10 commandments" with an attachment of "sin" to each broken rule; and "not hard and fast rules to be punished harshly for being broken...".

They are not commandments. They are guidelines used to point the follower toward Right living. There are absolute differences between commandments and the precepts of Buddhism.
    I think we all agree Karma (both good or bad) is attached to every deed, every thought, every misstep as well as Buddha-like action we take....
    But the broken or bent precepts are not "sins" like the broken or bent commandments of Christianity.

Here is an example:

" The practice of Buddhist moral precepts deeply affects one's personal and social life. The fact that they represent a course of training which one willingly undertakes rather than a set of commandments willfully imposed by a God or supreme being is likely to have a positive bearing upon one's conscience and awareness. "

and another:

"Buddhism, of course, does not have any "commandments." The Buddha did not reveal the Teaching and Training by commanding, coercing, or ordering anyone to follow the path to enlightenment (which also leads to other happy results in the round of rebirths*). "

and more:

"Some Westerners compare Buddhist precepts to the ten commandments of Christianity. However, unlike the ten commandments, they are not mandates, or edicts, or rules. Furthermore, one does not have to be a Buddhist to realize the precepts are common sense notions of behavior.

Rather than an individual being finger-wagged and given a bunch of “do not do this,” one is encouraged to use one’s intelligence to apply the precepts in the best way possible in life."

edited August 2012
    @vastminds I am not sure of your point. Your argument that I can't form an opinion because I have not had or been involved in a particular situation is specious at best. If that were the case there is a whole range of issues be they war, famine, cancer, torture or abortion I couldn't have an opinion on. Because your a woman only you are allowed an opinion? The pic I chose was at 12 weeks-still legal to get an abortion in that time frame, so I thought it was germane-this is whats being aborted. Emotions do play a part in our decision making otherwise we would have a cold, sterile world. Funny you should point out emotion, it's quite evident in your post. The "intention of a uterus?" "The moral implications of your penis?" I am a nurse, I have been one for almost 15 years, I couldn't work in a clinic like that; I would not consider that right livelihood.
    Look, from a ethical perspective, I don't find this act defensible. I don't find bombing people defensible, I don't find executions defensible. Violence and disregard for life I find abhorrent. I am not telling you to agree with me, I am not telling you how to run your life. This is a conversation we are having, if one's views cannot be expressed, what is the point? Sorry for any distressed I engendered to you and anyone else. I won't post again regarding this subject.
    All the best,
    Todd
    ^^

MaryAnne, you may choose to believe they are only training rules. That's fine for you. But apparently I don't have the right to believe they are more than that. Apparently I don't have the right to believe they are a focus of morality in Buddhist societies. Apparently I don't have the right to believe they are a part of the social compact in virtually all societies across the world.

Apparently, Buddhism has no morality. Apparently, I could shoot you in the head, and on your deathbed you'd say, "Oh, that's okay Vincent, it was merely a training rule. No problem."

In my view -- if I'm allowed to have one -- saying they are merely training rules is tantamount to saying I just want to get away with murder, lying, stealing, getting intoxicated and acting like an ass, and inappropriate sex. Funny, but I've been pretty darned good at those training rules since I was in kindergarten. Funny, but thread after thread in this forum is about how wrong it is to eat meat...but then you want to turn around and say it's merely a training rule not to kill.

But fine, you pick a standard of behavior that you feel is appropriate, and I'll pick a standard of behavior that I think is appropriate...assuming I'm allowed to do that.
    Theswingisyellow
    edited August 2012

Who implied anything about murder?

Read my last reply and the post I was replying to. The implication is fairly obvious.

While I can't help others decisions nor their feelings regarding their choices my intent and motivation was not to hurt, or judge or make anyone feel unwelcome.
    If I come across as forceful or aggressive you have my apologies. I could address any number of issues in this way, if I embark on a decision I ask myself:
    Is this decision harmful or harmless?
    What is my intention?
    What is my motivation?
    These same things I would ask about the very question we are speaking of.
    All the best,
    Todd

All I'm asking is that you try to think about it from their point of view as well, and maybe be a little bit gentler in your speech when telling these women how terrible, violent, and destructive you think abortion is. Pretty please?
    edited August 2012
    vinlyn said:

^^

MaryAnne, you may choose to believe they are only training rules. That's fine for you. But apparently I don't have the right to believe they are more than that. Apparently I don't have the right to believe they are a focus of morality in Buddhist societies. Apparently I don't have the right to believe they are a part of the social compact in virtually all societies across the world.

No need to be so dramatic, @vinlyn. Nobody said that you don't have the right to believe x, y, and z. A couple of use simply explained our ideas about the precepts and the role they play in the practice. If you care to go back and reread my contributions, for example, you'll see that I said, "If you happen to take the time to check out some of the other links that reference various aspects of the path as 'rules of training,' and compare them to what I said, I think you may see that my understanding of the precepts as training rules isn't all that unreasonable." Doesn't sound like I said you couldn't believe what you want about the precepts, only that "you may see that my understanding of the precepts as training rules isn't all that unreasonable." That's not very unreasonable, is it?
    Jason, note that my response was not to you. It was directed to Mary Anne, by name.
    edited August 2012
    I didn't read anything in her post saying that you're not allowed to believe what you want about the precepts, either. It wasn't even addressed to you.
    Mary Anne's comments were directed to no one specifically, therefore they were a strong defense of the concept of "training rules" to everyone.
    edited August 2012
    OK, so her post was a defense of the concept of precepts as training rules. I still don't see what the big deal is. How does that equal her saying you don't have the right to believe x, y, and z about the precepts? Or that Buddhism has no morality? I think maybe your starting to take this a bit too personally.
    You know, Jason, sometimes I read your posts on various topics, and I think, "What's the big deal." But I realize that on such topics, it's a big deal to you. That's fine.

I think I have an equal right to believe that some aspect of Buddhism is a big deal to me.
    edited August 2012
    Sure. Back to topic now? :)
    edited August 2012
    Ethics and politics can't stand alone from science in this context - science is our current understanding of the world in as objective a language as possible.
    What formed the (your) perception that life begins at conception?
    I'm not sure when life starts if not at conception. And I still think that abortion law is primarily a political issue.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @MaryAnne I know someone who had something similar happen involving an IUD. Actually though, in this case, she had just had the IUD supposedly removed. She became pregnant and at some point they realized that something was wrong and that part of the IUD had actually been left in. As you stated, it now left her in danger herself as well as putting the fetus in danger and a heightened risk of birth defects. She decided to have an abortion. I do think that these things happen more than people think...

It got me thinking about the 4 instances of people I have known personally who have told me they have had abortions:
    1 was the above scenario,
    1 was rape,
    2 could be said that they were of "convenience" but 1 was a drug addict and 1 was young and in high school (she was the class president/cheer squad captain with the boy's grandmother pushing her very heavily to have an abortion)... so there are other matters to consider.

It bothers me when people insinuate that women are out there having these willy-nilly. I think it's a great disservice to try and boil it down to either rape/life-threatening/incest or convenience. Life is complicated. All of the women mentioned above had a very hard time with the decision and did not make it lightly.

As a side note, just jumping into this discussion, I was also disappointed in the posting of the fetus picture. It is nothing more than a shame/scare tactic. If you've ever been to a pro-choice rally, you will see fundamentalist christians with images like that protesting in opposition. It's hardly a wonder why they do it. Unless you are just trying to hurt/shame others, the intent was misplaced, in my opinion.
    MaryAnneCloud
  • Pregnancy is a unique position . One that only one gender can experience and one that all mothers have accepted. However I begin to consider and from whatever perspective I enter the argument from, for me it comes back to choice of the potential mother, ideally with consideration and support of the potential father.

• Regarding my prior post about precepts being guidelines...

My intent was to give examples to help "back up" Jason & his take on the precepts being 'training guides' (or whatever the actual term was) and not hard and fast commandment-like rules.
    There was no reason to take it to mean that you, Vinlyn, could not see them/things differently. But you clearly were trying to tell Jason that he was in error to think of the precepts as he did.

When I was reading the exchange between you two, I questioned my own perception of the precepts (which was the same as Jason's) and wondered;
    " Wow, Did I misinterpret them as well?"
    So I looked up the precepts in a few different books and Buddhist websites and found the examples I showed you/everyone.

Jason was right, his concept of the precepts is not only "not unreasonable" but his concept (and mine) is much more in line with any and all teachings about the precepts that I had ever come across.

Am I saying Vinlyn you can't think what you think? No.
    You are free to think about the precepts any way you choose to.
    But it wasn't fair to (in so many words) pretty much pooh-pooh Jason's point of view and tell him he was 'wrong' when in fact, he wasn't.

Hope that clears up my part in the discussion.....

• As a side note, just jumping into this discussion, I was also disappointed in the posting of the fetus picture. It is nothing more than a shame/scare tactic. If you've ever been to a pro-choice rally, you will see fundamentalist christians with images like that protesting in opposition. It's hardly a wonder why they do it. Unless you are just trying to hurt/shame others, the intent was misplaced, in my opinion.

Yes, I wasn't going to comment on that picture and the fact that it was an unnecessary ploy for 'dramatic effect', because I thought maybe it was just my personal sensitivity... But now I see it's not 'just me'.

It is absolutely all about judgement, shame and guilt. It is absolutely not 'right speech' in that it's hurtful, and negative, and being said/shown for judgement, shame and guilt.

And if anyone thinks that's what an embryo really looks like , they need to spend some time in an operating room or looking upon a 2-12 week spontaneous miscarriage for a dose of reality.
    Does anyone really think there's a pretty sky-blue background in the womb, and an angelic cotton candy pink color to the placenta and skin of the fetus? No real visible arteries, or veins, nothing dark or bloody, right? Just a perfect little miniature person all wrapped up in 'baby colors' ... Really?
    Please. It's insulting.

I can totally believe no one meant it that way, honest, I believe that...
    but now that its been pointed out how others were made to feel about it, will there be an apology?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I am going to close this thread, and I will give reasons why:
    The OP was last active on this forum in June. since then, they have not participated.
    This thread was posted in March, and there are definitely some members who have, I know, left the forum. Possible further inclusion by quoting their names would not be responded to.
    This topic never ceases to be controversial, cause disputes and create some stressful reactions from members of both genders, but - if I may be so bold - involvement of men and women on threads concerning abortion, is a bit like a bacon and egg breakfast.
    The chicken contributes.
    The pig is committed.
    Thus emotions run high.

We've had countless Abortion threads in the past, doubtless new ones will be posted in the future.
    I hope we can all take away something instructive.

Until the next time, (or if the OP comes back in and gives good reason to resurrect) thank you all for the input.
This discussion has been closed.