Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Farang-Racism?

2»

Comments

• http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV_test

Apparently rapidtesting is common...ready in 15 mins.
    I have no idea, but AIDS is pretty wise spread in Thailand so I would guess that a lot of them would end up getting it at some point. I myself went to get a blood test a while ago for HIV simply because I wanted to know, the results came back in 25 minutes :-/ I wonder if that is even possibe, I mean I have heard of people waiting 1-2 weeks..
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited March 2012
    The etymology of farang goes way back as Dakini pointed out. Apparently it lasts well into the future also. :buck:

• @dakini...I heard the phrase "ferangi extranjero " while watching a Brazilian soap opera about India 's caste.

It was called "India "
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    @dakini...I heard the phrase "ferangi extranjero " while watching a Brazilian soap opera about India 's caste.
    Thanks. So it wasn't Spanish, it was Portugese? Ah, it was a combination of something someone picked up in India + Spanish. Telenovelas--*whew*!

• http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV_test

Apparently rapidtesting is common...ready in 15 mins.
    I have no idea, but AIDS is pretty wise spread in Thailand so I would guess that a lot of them would end up getting it at some point. I myself went to get a blood test a while ago for HIV simply because I wanted to know, the results came back in 25 minutes :-/ I wonder if that is even possibe, I mean I have heard of people waiting 1-2 weeks..
    That's good to know :) Thanks, I thought I had just been conned out of a HIV test, not good. But thanks for clearning that one up :D:D:D
  • Since your young and sexually active...get tested every year and make sure place is reputable anyway.

• Well I have had the same GF for nearly 18 months now, and I never have sex outside of relationships, and I trust my GF. She is not a typical thai woman, she doesn't even look thai to be honest, we always joke that is from Laos or Vietnam or something. But it is a good idea to get tested often yes, everyone should and that way AIDS would be slowed down somewhat.
  • I get tested automatically every yearly woman's physical...but you're right...less so in monogomous relationships
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thanks, Tom. I think that article leaves out a lot of info. STD rates, etc. Sex work in Thailand is still the profession of last resort, it's for people who have no other viable or legal options.
    Well, I'll probably get myself in trouble here, but I disagree. My best friend in Thailand is from a small village in Issan named Sung Noen. His family was about as poor as you can get...and I've been in the village and in their home in the swamp. Yet, he managed to earn both B.A. and M.A. degrees from Chulalongkorn University. He's was a science teacher, has written published articles on mangroves, and is up relatively high in the Education Ministry. I have known both men and women from a similar background who are everything from chefs to agents for airlines and banks to department store clerks, to prostitutes. There are choices to be made. And while it's difficult to see prostitution as a desirable field of endeavor, I wouldn't exactly say it takes much initiative.

My gf is from Issan, Surin I do not know if you are familiar with the place? The sex trade is not really a last resort, it is just a whole lot better paid. My GF for example makes 7,000baht a month, a woman can go out and get maybe 1-2,000 a night if she sells herself. It is not through desperation from what I can see, just the desire to want more money and most of them don't seem to mind. The ladyboys for example love playing their part and trying it on, even when I am with my partner they have tried, we both laughed that was hilarious.
    Wait...7,000baht a month? How much is that in dollars? I see that it's 8 an hour?
  • well 1 dollar is 30baht, so 6,000baht would be 200dollars, so 7,000baht should be $230
  • jlljll Veteran
    racism is stupid.
    when a robber robs you, he doesnt care about the color of your skin.
    a white man can be stupid eg hitler.
    a yellow man can be just as dumb eg chairman mao.
    racism is stupid.
    when a robber robs you, he doesnt care about the color of your skin.
    a white man can be stupid eg hitler.
    a yellow man can be just as dumb eg chairman mao.
    Yep!
    well 1 dollar is 30baht, so 6,000baht would be 200dollars, so 7,000baht should be $230
    Wow! Thank you! That's crazy. $230!
  • well 1 dollar is 30baht, so 6,000baht would be 200dollars, so 7,000baht should be $230
    Well you have to remember that things are cheaper here, you can eat a meal for a dollar, I tyically spend 200baht a day on food and drink, on a good day, which is about 7 dollars...
    well 1 dollar is 30baht, so 6,000baht would be 200dollars, so 7,000baht should be $230
    Well you have to remember that things are cheaper here, you can eat a meal for a dollar, I tyically spend 200baht a day on food and drink, on a good day, which is about 7 dollars...
    What type of food for a dollar though? You can buy food here for a few dollars, but it won't be any close to nutritious. $7 dollars a day? That's amazing. But you only eat once a day right?
  • 30baht, take your pick, all cooked in front of you on street stalls. vegetables rice and chicken, eggfried rice with chicken or prok, 'passee eel' which is like wide noodles with spinache and some veg with prok or chicken, 'pid geng' which is rice with a thai vegetable and pork or chicken but spicey, there are quite more dishes which I cannot be bothered to explain lol.. You can ask for a fried egg to go with it as well.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

What type of food for a dollar though? You can buy food here for a few dollars, but it won't be any close to nutritious. $7 dollars a day? That's amazing. But you only eat once a day right?
    Leon, I agree. I enjoy good food. Yes, you can eat street food very cheaply...and on occasion I would. Another cheap possibility are the food courts in the malls. Not like here in the States...not too much different than street food, though cleaner. My significant other and I went out to eat most nights, but we would go to sit down restaurants and enjoy the setting as much as the food.

30baht, take your pick, all cooked in front of you on street stalls. vegetables rice and chicken, eggfried rice with chicken or prok, 'passee eel' which is like wide noodles with spinache and some veg with prok or chicken, 'pid geng' which is rice with a thai vegetable and pork or chicken but spicey, there are quite more dishes which I cannot be bothered to explain lol.. You can ask for a fried egg to go with it as well.
    That looks soo freaking good!
    I remember Hawaii they had street food vendors and many street food carts. It was amazing!:)
    Thanks for sharing!

Leon, I agree. I enjoy good food. Yes, you can eat street food very cheaply...and on occasion I would. Another cheap possibility are the food courts in the malls. Not like here in the States...not too much different than street food, though cleaner. My significant other and I went out to eat most nights, but we would go to sit down restaurants and enjoy the setting as much as the food.

The states are a hot mess! Lol.
    Not enough options.
    However, I work Watsonville,CA and Salinas,CA and they have beautiful locally grown food. And many good small moms and moms places to eat.
  • No problem leon. Before I came here I rarely ate rice, now at least once a day and when I am not a poor ass, twice a day. If I don't I feel really lethargic. But these stalls is where I prefer to eat rather than the restaurants, even when I have money. It is a better way to experience the culture, and I like to sit and listen to thai conversations hehe
    No problem leon. Before I came here I rarely ate rice, now at least once a day and when I am not a poor ass, twice a day. If I don't I feel really lethargic. But these stalls is where I prefer to eat rather than the restaurants, even when I have money. It is a better way to experience the culture, and I like to sit and listen to thai conversations hehe
    I wonder if it's also better for you.
    Street food seems that they take more pride in it. As they are cooking for the customer, while restaurants from my experience focus on profits? Or is it different in Thailand?

• I would expect it is pretty similar, the cooks on the street do take pride in their cooking, it is their pride and passion as well as their job. You can bet that the produce is also better than you will find in a supermarket and there are no microwaved parts to the dishes, like a lot of resturants actually do as I use to work in one.
    I would expect it is pretty similar, the cooks on the street do take pride in their cooking, it is their pride and passion as well as their job. You can bet that the produce is also better than you will find in a supermarket and there are no microwaved parts to the dishes, like a lot of resturants actually do as I use to work in one.
    Agreed!
    Many places use microwaves now, as it saves time and money. Lol.