Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Idle Chatter

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited March 2012 in Buddhism Basics
The Buddha described four unwholesome ways of speaking: idle chatter, lying, divisive speech, and abusive speech.

Since I habitually employ these types of "wrong speech" to advance my interests, I'd like to spend this week looking into them.

The Buddha suggested that we refrain from idle chatter, not because it causes explicit harm, but because it moves us away from the goal of liberation. The Buddha said that the noble practitioner abstains from idle chatter, so that she can speak thusly:

He speaks in season, speaks what is factual, what is in accordance with the goal, the Dhamma, & the Vinaya. He speaks words worth treasuring, seasonable, reasonable, circumscribed, connected with the goal.*

Right speech, then, advances the listener to the dharmic goal of enlightenment. Idle chatter, at the very least, distracts from that objective.

The Buddha's teaching in this matter bolsters my long-held view that people naturally fall into two categories: those who make "big talk" and those who make "small talk." Small talkers flourish in social settings; big talkers don't. Big talkers read this blog; small talkers don't. (Just setting out my biases, here . . .)

http://www.oxherding.com/my_weblog/2010/11/right-speech-idle-chatter.html

My take is that its not that idle chatter is bad or wrong so much as its a distraction in our pursuit of understanding the mind in the same way that TV, music, reading fiction or any other type of pleasant distraction is. I certainly do my share of distracting things but I see them as such and that they are something to eventually be abandoned and not cultivated.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

My take is that its not that idle chatter is bad or wrong so much as its a distraction in our pursuit of understanding the mind in the same way that TV, music, reading fiction or any other type of pleasant distraction is. I certainly do my share of distracting things but I see them as such and that they are something to eventually be abandoned and not cultivated.

I agree, and to me that's just everyday life.

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    <

dunno if we should abandon them forever but i certainly agree that it can be a major distraction and it would be best to abandon at least temporarily when focusing on the practice.

retreats or even just time dedicated to serious meditation is difficult difficult to make happen for many of us, would be unfortunate to waste it by doing distracting things (like this or any of the other precepts)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Agree with OP. Of the four types of speech listed at the top, idle chatter is least damaging, as it doesn't cause harm to others, it only distracts us from practice temporarily. As they say, life is short, we should focus on practice as much as possible, but hey, people need down time, y'know? Still, it's good to be mindful of how we spend our time. (Note to self: cut down on time spent on forums ;) )
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Thank you, @patbb . This has been on my mind a lot, prompting me to look at this http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-vaca/ about Right Speech and be even more concerned about how theory and mindful practices are worlds apart even on a "Buddhist" site like this one.
    Thank you, @patbb .
    oops. Thanks @person, the OP :-)
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Ok I reposted this from the other thread..because Buddhist chatter is also chatter..
    This raises a question.... How long can someone discuss Buddhism online before a discussion about Buddhism is just as superfluous as a discussion about any old thing?

There are people all over the internet who's "practice" consists of discussing Buddhism online, with no (serious) offline or online practice.
    So maybe a good question to ask ourselves is what are we doing here. How long have we been here. and how long have we rattled on about Buddhism going over the same old ground over and over. Personally I like some of the non-Buddhist idle chatter. Actual sangha includes fun and chatter as well.. birthday dinners out, ..Danas full of chatter, and good natured joking and teasing...

.... :)
  • I don't think this site has any rules about idle chatter....does it?

I don't know why but this discussion is upsetting. Is anyone here really bothered by banter aside from possibilities, please speak up.
    edited March 2012
    I don't think this site has any rules about idle chatter....does it?

I don't know why but this discussion is upsetting. Is anyone here really bothered by banter aside from possibilities, please speak up.
    I love taking the piss, and also like to have serious discussions like the "view burden" thread. For what it is worth you seem real sweet, as do others on this site.
    IMO there could be a better balance of Dharma discussion and fun talk, but also ..somehow.. a practice element.
    I was a member here a couple of years ago and it was ruthlessly trolled by a dogmatic maniac, and was full of pedantic posing.. so IMHO it is a lot more friendly and easy going now, and full of potential for connection than it was before...IMHO.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    Thank you, @patbb .
    snif :(
  • I don't think this site has any rules about idle chatter....does it?

Sometimes but not because it is there. It's just that sometimes the forum is all about it. It's really cool and then uncertainty or rather certainty. It's hard for me to explain, but I get a little paranoid because I am on prescription medications which have made me irritable.

• Our meaningless banter Is also a way to get to know one another...built a little trust...this is not a huge forum and anyone can start a thread about anything. If we haven't had a balance of dharma its because there is an inbalance of participation.

Which is why I get on some members to do so. While I'm upset at possibilities post, I think that voicing concerns is important, much like person did, with grace.

If I hadn't seen Richards art, I would have never know his talent. How would I have know he was an artist? It wasn't until he posted it. . . That's not meaningless.

Vinlyn may not thread but his stories are fascinating and paint a picture around a man I find endearing, same with genkaku.

Aheerdt, Tom, and myself have bee guilty of journaing the forum. . . Isn't it important to know one another?

We post discussions about other religions...such as Jesus, is there no room here to compare and contrast?

...how else are we going to get to know one another?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    IMO there could be a better balance of Dharma discussion and fun talk, but also ..somehow.. a practice element.
    Go for it, RichardH, et al. I try to post Dharma-related topics from time to time, but I can't hold up the roof alone.

I was a member here a couple of years ago and it was ruthlessly trolled by a dogmatic maniac, and was full of pedantic posing.. so IMHO it is a lot more friendly and easy going now, and full of potential for connection than it was before...IMHO.
    Yes, there is definitely something to be said for the more laid-back and respectful atmosphere we have now! So it's a trade-off. I try to focus on the positive. I count my blessings.

• Members who are participation in what possibilities calls "meaningless chatter that has deteriorates the forum "...can do it in private...through pm.

But how is that fair to people browsing the web for a new shanga?

Then it would become a seperate exclusively private group...is that what we want?

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012

If I hadn't seen Richards art, I would have never know his talent.
    Yeah, Richard's art! I'd like to see more of that! :)

So, Richard's art wasn't "idle chatter"? What are we going to do, set up the Idle Chatter police, to decide what topics are serious enough to be acceptable?

Chill everybody. It's all good. I'm looking forward to seeing possibilities, Richard, person, and others post more Buddhist threads. btw, I love person's science videos. And what about political topics, are they "idle chatter"?

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I'm just grateful that the mods and admins take care of those deliberately irritating and condescending types who burst in on the scene from time to time. Really, there's a lot to be grateful for here, and there's plenty of room for more Buddhist topics.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited March 2012
    All right, let's talk about idle chatter. Like everything else, this sort of good advice quickly gets turned into a hinderance when people grab hold of it. That's why Buddhism tries to resist being turned into a list of commandments and rules, even though human nature means the sutras are still full of them.

So "idle chatter" is prohibited. You're what, commiting a sin or making bad karma or anyhow being UnBuddhist if you don't shut up and stop talking to people. That cashier who smiles at you at the store checkout and asks how your day is going? Idle chatter! Don't you dare spend a few minutes letting her know you see her as a person worthy of talking to. That coworker who wants to talk about the movie they saw the day before? Idle chatter! Ignore them until they go away. I talk to my mother several times a week in Ohio, and to an old friend in a nursing home by phone once a week or so. About nothing in particular, just...idle chatter.

People are social animals. Sometimes it's not the content of what we're talking about that's important, it's that we make the effort to connect. Sometimes that means talking about the weather, or a favorite TV show.

So why this prohibition against idle chatter when the sutra talks about right speech? It's supposed to refer to the usual group of monks. They're supposed to be learning. The temple is their school. It's a teacher telling the class to sit down and shut up. So yes, there is a time and place for everything, and shutting up is included. Just don't try to wrap your entire life around it.
  • I agree with most of the people who weighed in on this thread, especially @person and @Dakini. Idle chatter is definitely the least damaging of the four unwholesome ways of speaking. But I also think being mindful of it is important in the same way that we're mindful of doing activities just to relax.

What @Cinorjer wrote is also wise: "idle chatter" could surely be extended to responding to the cashier who asks how your day is, but if you respond and ask how their day is, you're extending metta. So I don't view this as idle chatter at all.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012

What @Cinorjer wrote is also wise: "idle chatter" could surely be extended to responding to the cashier who asks how your day is, but if you respond and ask how their day is, you're extending metta. So I don't view this as idle chatter at all.
    Yes. Idle chatter can be a kindness--think of someone recovering from surgery in the hospital, or elders in a retirement home. This is a good example of how intent plays a big role in Buddhism. Is the intent to while away the hours, "kill" time (do not kill, haha), or is it to extend metta, as you say? Buddhism recognizes the difference.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Here's a little excerpt about the 4 actions of speech.
    And four from speech. That is lying, The second one is divisive speech - speech that is very divisive, that causes a division between a couple, friends, relatives, congregations, church members, sangha communities, and so on. This is called what? Divisiveness. Third, is insulting or hard speech. The speech that has a great potential to hurt other peoples' feelings. Fourth, are what we call, idle gossip - sort of engaging in meaningless chit-chats, that is also motivated by attachment, desire, anger, hatred, jealousy and so on. Of course, we can engage in normal conversation, not necessarily motivated by attachment, desire anger, jealousy or hatred. That is not a negative. But engaging in meaningless talk, motivated by attachment, anger, hatred, jealousy, that is negative. Therefore, there are four from what? Speech. Lying, divisive speech, hash or insulting speech and idle gossip.
  • Yep, the world would be a lot different without any cheeping and chirruping. So many of our interactions hinge upon platitudes, so long as when someone asks 'how you are?' you don't get too deep into it. It's a token gesture; the currency of social life.

If the good intentions are there fine, for many of us with even a modicum of social awareness we can usually tell whether someone is out of order or not, but on the internet we can't see another persons face, and this is further complicated by cultural differences.

It does make me wonder, since communication is arguably much more non-verbal, and based on body language than content. In a virtual setting this factor is obviously missing so we're in the dark in this respect.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Idle gossip is different from idle chatter. Gossip and exchanging pleasantries are very different things. Not engaging in idle gossip is probably covered under the precept against slander.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

So why this prohibition against idle chatter when the sutra talks about right speech? It's supposed to refer to the usual group of monks. They're supposed to be learning. The temple is their school. It's a teacher telling the class to sit down and shut up. So yes, there is a time and place for everything, and shutting up is included. Just don't try to wrap your entire life around it.
    I don't think that every other of the 10 'unwholesome' actions refers to everyone but only this one pertains to monks studying.

To me it comes down to where we look for our happiness in life. Buddhism teaches that conditioned phenomena are subject to anatta, anicca, and dukkha. So looking to chit chat for our happiness is the wrong approach. That doesn't mean the mighty hand of the all powerful Karma is going to slap you upside the head and send you to hell for talking to people.

Also other people are indispensible for our happiness. They are how we're able to simply survive. They are also the source for our love and compassion to arise and any good qualities and happiness arises in dependence upon others. We can't really function in life without talking and often the right and kind thing to do is offer someone some understanding and companionship.

So like in all things Buddhist there is likely some middle way between building a life out of mindless gossip and a lifetime vow of silence.
    Thank you, @patbb .
    snif :(
    @patbb :-) sorry ..... I like your response as well: "even just time dedicated to serious meditation is difficult difficult to make happen for many of us, would be unfortunate to waste it by doing distracting things (like this or any of the other precepts)"
    :thumbup: agree! seems obvious :-)

As for the rest tldnr.

• What I love is that people here and Buddhists in general consider how their words effect other people and their own lives. Right speech is placed near the top of the 8-Fold Path for a reason. As a writer, I strive to find just the right words and know the power of those words. After all, the Noble Truths are nothing but words.
    edited March 2012
    What I love is that people here and Buddhists in general consider how their words effect other people and their own lives. Right speech is placed near the top of the 8-Fold Path for a reason. As a writer, I strive to find just the right words and know the power of those words. After all, the Noble Truths are nothing but words.
    Sorry to ask this on the idle chatter thread.. but what kind of writing do you do?.. I've always been jealous of the writer's skills.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I've always been jealous of the writer's skills.
    ...says the brilliant artist.

• One paints with words the other writes with paint ....

Art makes life more liveable

Back to topic.
    edited March 2012
    When you are a painter you deal with galleries who deal with painters.. It is all very mundane, and market exposed. .. and a small world at that.

The brilliant artist thing has no traction when you are talking turkey.. At openings once every two years or so... you overhear your mother saying you are brilliant, and squrm.
  • What I love is that people here and Buddhists in general consider how their words effect other people and their own lives. Right speech is placed near the top of the 8-Fold Path for a reason. As a writer, I strive to find just the right words and know the power of those words. After all, the Noble Truths are nothing but words.
    Sorry to ask this on the idle chatter thread.. but what kind of writing do you do?.. I've always been jealous of the writer's skills.
    Fiction. Fantasy adventures, actually. Lots of magic and such. Got some books published and lots of short stories in various anthologies. Nothing that lets me quit my day job yet, but I'm still getting stuff out there each year. Most book sales now are in ebook format, although we still offer and sell paper and ink.

Writing takes the desire to tell a story, a hefty dose of imagination, and learning the craft of putting that story into words on paper through trial and error and lots of rejections. It's the craft part where most people drop out. How do you write an effective, eye catching opening? What makes a good character? That sort of thing.
  • To get back on thread, even in my writing, my practice in Right Speech remains in force. My fantasy worlds do not glorify violence and people struggle to do what's right while facing the consequences of their bad decisions. I couldn't write something like a slasher story or describe the gory detail of torture even if it would make me rich, any more than I can stand to watch something like that. A bit of escapism through story telling is healthy and human, but that's different from wallowing in violence just for its own sake.
  • To get back on thread, even in my writing, my practice in Right Speech remains in force. My fantasy worlds do not glorify violence and people struggle to do what's right while facing the consequences of their bad decisions. I couldn't write something like a slasher story or describe the gory detail of torture even if it would make me rich, any more than I can stand to watch something like that. A bit of escapism through story telling is healthy and human, but that's different from wallowing in violence just for its own sake.
    With visual language (and no doubt the same with words).. where you paint, you go.