Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

favourite words... in any language

Comments

• Yes of course, missing the obvious once again. I actually do not have any farang friends here anymore, I have some people I know at my Thai classes, but I rarely meet up with them outside of school. lol, In fact, I won't even bother trying to use any of these words on the Thai's. Me and my friend who has now gone home, we use to have fun on trains. We would sit there and talk quite loudly utter rubbish in English. Complicated long words mixed with not swear words, but words that are not that accepted. But the sentences made no sense, it was quite funny.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    i'm so lucky to speak three languages... my elder brother and i were messing about one day, having a pointless conversation using all three languages, and muddling up our sentences... we were speaking sense, but it was all just multilingual... his GF was stroppy because she was convinced we were talking about her.... my husband was in hysterics, because he knew we weren't....!!
  • LMAO, what three languages can you speak? Me and my friend were just saying stuff like

"Yesterday my hydrochloric anus felcher was out of date"
    "really, that is no good, you need a good fumigator for that pickle I rekon."
    "A pickle, Mr Reeves won't be happy about that, you know how his rash gets when you pull out the plunger"

Just mindless crap like that lol. It was fun and passed the time, I wonder if any Thais were fluently English on that train :rolleyes:
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran

village

Can you believe it? There are no villages here, just small towns or unincorporated areas...... Speaking of the west coast, New England may have a different tradition.
    How about The Village Voice (NY) and The Village People? A local paper recently used the term "villein" to describe the tenant farmers (a feudal term for someone who has a legal tie to work the land he occupies). Cue lots of irate letters confusing "villein" with its derogatory derivative "villain"...and one confusing it with "vanilla"!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    English, (Nooo, really? Yes, really!), French and Italian..

Ieri sera, quand j'allais to the bathroom, j'ai trouvée a great big ragno nel lavandino*....

all in a bad English-cum-cockney accent.... it was fun.....!

I get it when people ask for a panino or cappuccino...

they come out as -

pa-nee-know, capp-ah-chee-know..... (essex gurlz rool , UK!)

(*yesterday evening when i went to the bathroom, i found a great big spider in the sink....)
    .....A local paper recently used the term "villein" to describe the tenant farmers (a feudal term for someone who has a legal tie to work the land he occupies). Cue lots of irate letters confusing "villein" with its derogatory derivative "villain"...and one confusing it with "vanilla"!
    :facepalm:
    oh lordy... it reminds me of the time when George Bush said that "the French don't have a word for 'entrepreneur'...." :rolleyes:
  • lol, well at least the Essex girls try federica. Now I have nobody to talk mindless crap with on public transport :( I sometimes randomly come out with a string of sentences in English which have little meaning and are just funny to say to my partner, who often looks at me with a confused expression. Still, it's not the same :bawl:
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited March 2012
    .....A local paper recently used the term "villein" to describe the tenant farmers (a feudal term for someone who has a legal tie to work the land he occupies). Cue lots of irate letters confusing "villein" with its derogatory derivative "villain"...and one confusing it with "vanilla"!
    oh lordy... it reminds me of the time when George Bush said that "the French don't have a word for 'entrepreneur'...." :rolleyes:
    Was it Bush who came up with 'freedom-fries' instead of french-fries?
    edited March 2012
    I don't know, but as the global saying goes.... "Only in america"..... :rolleyes:

I forget where or why the anti-French stance began, in the USA.
    All I know is that in the UK, it probably kicked off at Agincourt..... :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Agincourt
  • Just before I moved out of my last guest house, I heard about the ongoing troubles France and America have with each other, I don't quite know what that is all about or how it started either.
    Disingenuous

lovely word.....

(But really, what would i know....? I'm just a solitary little moderator with very little education, honestly..... ;)

(British humour....)
  • .....A local paper recently used the term "villein" to describe the tenant farmers (a feudal term for someone who has a legal tie to work the land he occupies). Cue lots of irate letters confusing "villein" with its derogatory derivative "villain"...and one confusing it with "vanilla"!
    Even most of us Americans cringed whenever George Bush spoke.
    Yeah, you know, i think some folk kinda miss him....:D
  • muller
    ....right...... :scratch:
    I know what it is.... are you adding it?
  • lol up to you grammer queen
  • Some additions. If any of these have already been mentioned then my apologies.

esoteric
    exoteric
    melancholy - I have the same theory for melancholy as was earlier mentioned about clandestine
    stoic
    brace - meaning a group or pair
    signet - a baby swan
    ahh....

'signet', as in ring.
    cygnet' as in baby swan.....:o

You know, I really DO hate myself sometimes.....
  • ahh....

'signet', as in ring.
    cygnet' as in baby swan.....:o

You know, I really DO hate myself sometimes.....
    lol - I really did look it up, but I should have looked more closely.

wiki.answers.com › ... › Birds › Bird Species › Waterfowl › Swans

What do you called a young swan. A baby swan is called a signet. What is the young one of swan called. cygnet. What is a young male swan called. it iis called a ...

Still, both good words.
    And i've added them both. :)

but I did remove "Tinky-winkle"

cute as it sounds, it's not recognised by any dictionary..... it's a kid's programme character name....
  • flabbergasted
  • @federica if you already speak Italian and french, you probably could easily learn spanish.

What language do you primarily 'think ' in?

That could get confusing too.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I don't know, but as the global saying goes.... "Only in america"..... :rolleyes:

Something about when the French didn't lend their support in some war or something? I forget because I don't care.

My favorite was during the early 2000's when they renamed everything with "freedom"

Freedom fries. :lol:
  • Trellis
  • I don't know, but as the global saying goes.... "Only in america"..... :rolleyes:

Something about when the French didn't lend their support in some war or something? I forget because I don't care.

My favorite was during the early 2000's when they renamed everything with "freedom"

Freedom fries. :lol:
    Yea I already mentioned that some posts ago lol, I think it was under Bush's government, well it must have been, I mean come on, freedom fries!!
    it was actually just after 9/11 I believe... Around that time anyway... because I was living in France at the time, and the following April, we received a visit from a WW2 fighter pilot and his family... he was re-tracing his 'wartime steps' to try to discover exactly everything that had happened to him when he'd been shot down by anti-aircraft German fire.... it was all a blur, but over the week, everything was pieced together. That was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life and the memories will remain with me until the day I die.
    He was the most wonderful, gentle, kind, considerate man, and he and his family were - and are - really "shining bright". i don't know a better way to put it....
    They came over, we had a wonderful exciting week, and they mentioned this thing about 'freedom fries' and resolutely refused to call them so. they thought it utterly ludicrous.... particularly as so many French people had been instrumental in saving his life....
    It's an uplifting story, I'll have to tell you guys all about it one day....
    Jocular.

I actually used this term yesterday, and the person I said it to, replied, astonished - "Jocular! I don't think I've heard that word since I was at school!"

He's about my age, so it's going in!
  • @federica nice little snippet of your French story there, you should share it one day. The guy must have many a story to tell himself. Why was the weekend a blue btw, did you end up drinking too much wine or something :lol:
    not the weekend... his recollection of what had happened when he was shot down.
  • not the weekend... his recollection of what had happened when he was shot down.
    ohhh, sorry bad reading on my part.
    ssssokay..... think I might open a nostalgia thread..... :)
  • ssssokay..... think I might open a nostalgia thread..... :)
    Nostalgia can be dangerous, but sure go ahead. Just don't go slipping into your past and never coming back!! :rolleyes: lol
    i think it would be a wonderful and poignant reminder of impermanence.....

poignant.... now there's a nice word..... :D
  • and so it is, poignant. But nice is not exactly a nice word, but when speaking in English, it is so easy to use and many of the altrnatives exaggerate the notion.
    oh i've died and gone to heaven....:lol::lol:
    Sorry - i have to add them to our list - they're glorious!!
    I can see where Twitter-Light might have eventually become 'twilight'... birds at that time of day, do some last-minute calling, at the time of the sun's last rays....it's quite beautiful to sit in an English garden, on a summer's evening, in silence, just listening to the occasional solitary musical call of a blackbird, punctuating the passing minutes.....

And 'Jollux' may have moved to 'Jolly' at the slip of the pen, or come from Joli' in French...or both....
    interesting....
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Why 'disappointing'?

When you discover the origin of words, it's fascinating, and only right to pronounce them as originally introduced.... isn't it?
    Because "PLETH-ora" sounded to me like someone spitting out a pistachio shell, whereas ple-THOR-a sounded like a golden instrument an angel might play ;)

I was just in love with the sound of ple-THOR-a . . . who knows why. It's like loving a certain musical passage, I suppose, whereas someone else goes nuts over a completely different passage.

I got used to the new plethora...but our relationship was never the same.

• Why 'disappointing'?

When you discover the origin of words, it's fascinating, and only right to pronounce them as originally introduced.... isn't it?
    Because "PLETH-ora" sounded to me like someone spitting out a pistachio shell, whereas ple-THOR-a sounded like a golden instrument an angel might play ;)

I was just in love with the sound of ple-THOR-a . . . who knows why. It's like loving a certain musical passage, I suppose, whereas someone else goes nuts over a completely different passage.

lol, this is quite funny @Sile well it made me laugh when I read it. I am sorry to hear about your damaged relationship with plethora :(
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran

Yeah, I miss my "hyper-bowl" -- hyperr-bolee - doesn't have the same ring to it :-)
  • SileSile Veteran
    Perhaps we should form a "wounded words" club, where we stubbornly indulge our preferred pronunciations.

I mean...there's no such thing as "proper" language. There is simply majority and minority usage. Compared to country dialects, Parisian French is actually "lazy" language by schoolmarm standards...slurred endings, dropped consonants and all that.

Language changes according to time and place (said a famous Chinese scholar). If we got enough people to say "HYPER-bowl" (the next NFL scheme??), eventually *that* would be the "proper" pronunciation.

Harrumph.

wounded words warriors? the new www?
    It's not sk-edjool, it's shed-yule. (schedule)
    It's not liew-tennant, it's leff-tennunt (lieutenant)
    It's not harrass-ment, it's ha-rassment (oh, c'mon, you can tell....!)
  • It's not sk-edjool, it's shed-yule. (schedule)
    It's not liew-tennant, it's leff-tennunt (lieutenant)
    It's not harrass-ment, it's ha-rassment (oh, c'mon, you can tell....!)
    darntootin!
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Sequestrian
    .. I don't know what it means but it popped up in my head nice.ring to.it
    ^^ a horse rider who is sequestered?
    edited March 2012
    Hmmmm..... it does seem to be a mingling of two words....
    Equestrian - has its roots in 'Equus' which was the classic written latin - and refers to the art of riding horses.... (we get the word 'cavalry' from cavalus, which was the 'vulgar' latin, spoken in the street....rather like saying 'friend' and 'buddy'....)

And 'Sequestration' - which means the taking or confiscation of (usually) land....
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2012
    it was actually just after 9/11 I believe... Around that time anyway... because I was living in France at the time, and the following April, we received a visit from a WW2 fighter pilot and his family... he was re-tracing his 'wartime steps' to try to discover exactly everything that had happened to him when he'd been shot down by anti-aircraft German fire.... it was all a blur, but over the week, everything was pieced together. That was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life and the memories will remain with me until the day I die.
    He was the most wonderful, gentle, kind, considerate man, and he and his family were - and are - really "shining bright". i don't know a better way to put it....
    They came over, we had a wonderful exciting week, and they mentioned this thing about 'freedom fries' and resolutely refused to call them so. they thought it utterly ludicrous.... particularly as so many French people had been instrumental in saving his life....
    It's an uplifting story, I'll have to tell you guys all about it one day....
    A couple of years ago there was a tiff between Canada and Denmark over a barren piece of rock in the Arctic called (I think) Hans Island . First a small Danish force landed and planted a Danish flag and left (there is no point in staying) , then a small Canadian force landed and planted a Canadian flag. Taking its cue from Bush era jingoism a donut shop in Toronto renamed its danish selection "freedom pastries"..

also...
    I would like to include vestibule to the list, and formally complain about the exclusion of chutzpa. Yes chutzpa had it's origin in a foreign language, but it is firmly and naturally in common English used, regardless of what those tweedbound guffaws at Oxford say.
    I'll happily include it... but all spell-checkers tell me it has an 'h' at the end, so don't blame me if I change it.... Richard.... ;)

and vestibule is in..... :)