Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

favourite words... in any language

12346»

Comments

• Anything with a silent "g", I always wondered why they were in there.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    JosephW said:

Anything with a silent "g", I always wondered why they were in there.

Sigh. :D

MaryAnne
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Self moderated; sorry.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I'm re-learning French at the moment, and fell in love with this word:

malheureusement

It translates to "unfortunately," but the meaning isn't what I like. I just like the way the word just flows...
  • I just thought of this one: Salsipuedes.
    One often finds towns in Spanish speaking countries named this.
    It means ," get out if you can."
  • I like 'alas', nobody uses it anymore..
    shanyin
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I know, alas is awsome
  • I like entshuldigung (sic) the german excalamation of 'excuse me'.. It just sounds like a round happy word.
    Invincible_summer
  • I have no ida why whatsoever but I like how the word 'schematic' sounds :hrm:
  • "Mahdi"
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @ThailandTom - Do you pronounce it "shhuhmatic" or "skuhmatic" or "skeematic?"
  • @ThailandTom - Do you pronounce it "shhuhmatic" or "skuhmatic" or "skeematic?"

Personally none, I pronounce it like 'scamatic' lol, very poor I know, but the closest would be skeetmatic I guess. Yourself?
    "Skuhmatic" for me. I was just trying to get a sense of which pronunciation you find appealing :p
  • ...badger...
    Jeffrey
  • Haberdashery
    Invincible_summer
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Lemniscate.

The figure 8 on its side, which means perpetual and unending, infinity... made into beautiful art....

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqfutlPEKL1qfwqv9o1_500.png

JeffreyInvincible_summer
  • With the advent of 'txt spk', whom seems to have fallen into disuse.... I love whom.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2013
    I recently texted something to one of my granddaughters which she found amusing and she texted back

" totes lolz ".

in UK textspeak " totes" is an abbreviation of totally and of course lolz is the plural of lol.
  • giblets
    Invincible_summer
    edited March 2013
    Ooo I also like the word "smarmy!"

@Citta - People in Canada use "totes" as well to mean "totally." Whenever I hear it, it gives me very good "non-judging" practice! :lol:

Whenever I hear that, I always think of something like this:

• 'Lest', I think there's something very poetic about it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Jason_PDK said:

With the advent of 'txt spk', whom seems to have fallen into disuse.... I love whom.

I love 'whence'....
    And when people insist on putting 'from' in front of it, I get really peeved!! :D
    Invincible_summerThailandTomJason_PDK
  • fiduciary
  • nenkohai said:

fiduciary

I had to Google that one!
    nenkohai
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Citta said:

in UK textspeak " totes" is an abbreviation of totally and of course lolz is the plural of lol.

In the US too @Citta :)
  • CittaCitta Veteran

Citta said:

In the US too @Citta :)
    Its likely we got it from you.. I just wasnt sure if it would be in use across the pond. ;)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2013
    The most fun word as a kid:

Em eye es es eye ess ess eye pee pee eye

(Mississipi, which is a state in the USA)
    Auf Deutsch - "sicherheit." It's often translated as "security."

The suffix "-heit" in German usually denotes a state of being. "Sicher" means "secure," "certain," "sure." So "sicherheit" basically means "the state of being secure/certain/sure."

Somehow, when it's broken down that way, it's almost comforting and somewhat poetic. To me, anyway.
  • eierdopje