Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

favourite words... in any language

Comments

• Damn, i learn more out of your threads than i did during 4 years of college.
    BunksTheEccentric
  • I'll happily include it... but all spell-checkers tell me it has an 'h' at the end, so don't blame me if I change it.... Richard.... ;)

I defer to your superior language skills, and yiddish spell-checker...

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    :lol:
    I'm so grammatically anal - so, sue me!! :D
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I like the word "renege" (Ri-nig) meaning to back out on a promise or contract.

Dunno why, maybe for it's hilarity factor when people don't know what it means.

Example.

"Don't you dare renege on me"

"WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY"
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I used the word 'calumny' today.... my solicitor said it was a very long time since she'd heard that.....!
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    I thought using the word 'solicitor' was so quaint.... ha.

quaint
  • I like the word "quaff"

Like, my pompadour hairstyle is so perfectly quaffed.

It sounds positively 1950s.
  • *printing entire thread incase of scrabble game*
  • i'm so lucky to speak three languages... my elder brother and i were messing about one day, having a pointless conversation using all three languages, and muddling up our sentences... we were speaking sense, but it was all just multilingual... his GF was stroppy because she was convinced we were talking about her.... my husband was in hysterics, because he knew we weren't....!!
    I figured out French, what other language besides English and French do you speak?

• i'm so lucky to speak three languages... my elder brother and i were messing about one day, having a pointless conversation using all three languages, and muddling up our sentences... we were speaking sense, but it was all just multilingual... his GF was stroppy because she was convinced we were talking about her.... my husband was in hysterics, because he knew we weren't....!!
    I figured out French, what other language besides English and French do you speak?

She speaks Italian as well as the other two. I am glad to hear of your adventures out @AHeerdt in your other thread. By the way, how long did it take to 'figure out' French lol. You guys should try learning an Asian language next, see how that goes down. None of those silly western letters or sounds, pah :nyah:
    I like the word "quaff"

@Lady_Alison, to quaff is to drink something with enthusiasm...

"He quaffed his ale, heartily."

I think you might mean 'coiffured' (pronounced quaff-you'red'), which is french for - hair-do...

*printing entire thread incase of scrabble game*
    @ThailandTom:
    Silly boy - am compiling separate list of all words hitherto proffered....
    Can attach current file if you wish.....
  • *printing entire thread incase of scrabble game*
    @ThailandTom:
    Silly boy - am compiling separate list of all words hitherto proffered....
    Can attach current file if you wish.....
    silly maybe, but a boy now I am not. Well going back to the early stages of the thread, there are words you can surely use in a game of scrabble.
    (I was using the term Nursie used in 'Blackadder' when she spoke to Lord Melchett....:D)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nursie
    i would say as they're all in the greater Oxford English dictionary - you can use all of them.....
    but i wouldn't advise, 'all at once'!
  • http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiff

What about "quiff "? Is this the same thing?
    I like the word "quaff"

@Lady_Alison, to quaff is to drink something with enthusiasm...

"He quaffed his ale, heartily."

I think you might mean 'coiffured' (pronounced quaff-you'red'), which is french for - hair-do...

• Maybe we should add them all! Lol ^_^
    edited March 2012
    quiff is a tuft of hair shaped into a curl.., i would probably hazard a guess that it came from the same root, as 'coiffure'....

It is however, also a slang term for a promiscuous woman...
    @Lady_Alison - are you sure you want me to put that in... for you? :D
  • lol... sure! what exactly do you plan to do with all these words? @federica
    We should incorporate at least three of them into our conversations every day, thereby confounding the enemy, and making them believe we know much more than what we really do what we know..... :crazy:
    Lest - in case... as in 'Lest we forget'....
  • Who is our enemy?
    :ninja:
    Well, those who are not our friends....d'uh!

oh c'mon @Lady_Alison, i was speaking hypothetically.... :p:D
  • 2 common words not or barely used in the US:

cottage
    village

Can you believe it? There are no villages here, just small towns or unincorporated areas, and cottages are just small houses, or "homes" rather. Speaking of the west coast, New England may have a different tradition.
    Rich people name their houses such that "Eagles Lair" might have a caretaker's cottage...

English words I can do without: obviously,
    awesome

one English word i would definitely feel like slapping someone over....

'whatever'.....
  • ginabginab Veteran
    Here are some tongue twisters

Chuchichaeschtli - Kitchencabinet
    Miuchmaeuchterli - chair the farmer sits on when milking cows
    Those are Swiss.

But my favorite language is Swedish. Sjuksköterska means nurse.
    Can you image being really sick in a hospital bed yelling
    sjuksköterska sjuksköterska!
    :lol:
  • I don't know, but as the global saying goes.... "Only in america"..... :rolleyes:

I forget where or why the anti-French stance began, in the USA.
    All I know is that in the UK, it probably kicked off at Agincourt..... :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Agincourt
    Something about when the French didn't lend their support in some war or something? I forget because I don't care.

My favorite was during the early 2000's when they renamed everything with "freedom"

Freedom fries. :lol:
    On "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" (radio news show on public radio) a while back they were talking about a new airport security procedure that you didn't have to take your shoes off for. One of the guests quipped, "a Freedomoscopy". :)
  • ginabginab Veteran
    I found a new favorite word today!

cacophony

:nyah:
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    edited March 2012
    This ought to be fun:
    http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2012/03/20/dictionary-regional-english
    with a link to a website for the Dictionary of American Regional English.
    that's 'accordiOn, not 'accordiAn'......

I mean, really.... they probably had spell-checker too...!
    so far....
    This link needs adding to this thread too. Brilliant.
    Invincible_summer
  • I like the word in Thai pronounced as 'Jing' or commonly 'jing-jing' or jing-aw'. It basically is questioning a comment or confirming it.
  • "cattywhompus"
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    "Flop" is my favourite word, meaning a failure/underperformence not the other type of flop.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    The Thai phrase "mai pben rai". Good luck defining it, but it's sorta in the territory of "it doesn't matter", "no problem", "don't worry about it".

But as I learned, you have to be careful -- some things do matter. For example, the number of Thais with amputations from work accidents, who will quite literally say "mai pben rai", when working conditions could be improved. But on the other hand, the political system there has gone rampantly the other way, and everyone is bitching on every little thing...they need "mai pben rai".

Clearly, a middle path of "mai pben rai" is needed.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    haberdashery

munted
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    mellifluous.... sweet sounding...from mel/miel 'honey'.
    summer.
    ( William James said that the most beautiful phrase in the English language is...'summer afternoon '.)
    nocturne.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    My favorite word is hammaslääkäri. Which meant dentist in Finnish. To make the sounds, you end up sounding like you are hawking up snot, which is always attractive.
    And Kartoffelsalat, which is potato salad in German
    I like a lot of Ojibwe/Anishinaabe words. Meegwetch is actually used with some frequency here, it carried over from the Native Americans to the fur traders and just stuck around. It makes thank you.
    I don't know if I have any favorite english words, but I have plenty of ones I dislike. Like moist, panties, slacks and davenport.

I always find it amusing how many words English needs compared to a lot of other languages. In many languages, single words take an entire sentence to define in English.
    BunksInvincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    In Mandarin Chinese, I like 沒辦法 (Méi bànfǎ) - roughly translates to "There's nothing that can be done."
  • vinlyn said:

The Thai phrase "mai pben rai". Good luck defining it, but it's sorta in the territory of "it doesn't matter", "no problem", "don't worry about it".

But as I learned, you have to be careful -- some things do matter. For example, the number of Thais with amputations from work accidents, who will quite literally say "mai pben rai", when working conditions could be improved. But on the other hand, the political system there has gone rampantly the other way, and everyone is bitching on every little thing...they need "mai pben rai".

Clearly, a middle path of "mai pben rai" is needed.

lol for ages before I was as good at Thai as I am today, instead of mai bpen rai I used the term 'mai sonjai' which basically means I don't care. Glad I figured that one out when I did, you could be in 7/11 and you don't want a straw with your purchase, 'mai sonjai' :lol:
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    'Whey-aye-man' = Geordieland speak meaning, "Yes, of course!"
    Bunks
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Some good English english..
    mither.. to complain
    clobber.. clothes
    munter...an ugly person
    ( modern ) ranger... rhymes with hanger..a redhead ( from Orangutang )
    chav...a socially disadvantaged person.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran

Seriously though:

Bumbino!

It means baby in italian
    riverflow
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
    I still love that word! hahaha

In sign language, my fav has always
    been....middle finger touching thumb, and flicking
    it off the same side shoulder out into an open hand.
    Go ahead...try it. :)

It means......not my problem, not my concern.
    Or like saying....whatever.
    My sister was deaf so this was my favorite sign
    to her when she would bug me to do chores for her,
    or to cover for her with our parents. lololol
  • yamadayamada Veteran
    i like "kemilau" in bahasa indonesia. it means shiny in english.
    Invincible_summer
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    brouhaha

I just learned this word. It means hubbub... also another great word.
    Invincible_summer
    Reading suttas makes me like the word "Thus"

Thus have I heard.

I also like the word "alas."
  • The English word melanous: the quality of black hair or black skin, a dark colour (related to the word 'melanin'). I had to use that one in a poem I wrote! '...melanous earth...'

Saudade, in Portuguese, a kind of intense longing for someone (who may be far away in time or in space). I know this feeling and I was overjoyed when I finally discovered there was actually a word for it.

Mono-no-aware, in Japanese, meaning literally 'the pathos of things' - a deep awareness of the transience of all things. There are several other aesthetic terms used in haiku that lend expression to all sorts of interesting subtle nuances of perception and feeling, but this one is dear to me. It led me to coin (?) a word to express it in English, 'onceness.'
    Jeffrey