Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

June weather in March

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited March 2012 in General Banter
The Climate change issue is complicated by the impossibility of attributing any particular weather incident to a larger climate picture, ... but the weather this winter is giving pause for a few people around these parts..

Here in southern Canada there has been very little snow this year and no ice cover on the shores of lake Ontario. Recently... starting in February, there have been Tornado outbreaks to the south and west of here. These were not just freak winter tornadoes, but strong storm systems dropping well organized funnels that lasted for an hour or more in some cases. The average temperature here for this time of year is a low of 25F and a high of 39F .....current forecast daytime temperatures in this region are in the low 70's F until next Thursday...and this is after a long week of warm humid weather that has set spring ahead by two months. The forecast low tonight is 45 F.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    I believe it has something to do with El Nino. I could be wrong.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Could be... I really don't know. There are some pretty clear large scale changes going on with the northern climate... especially the Arctic... but this year here stands out. I do not recall past el ninos having this effect. ....but I really don't know... Check the stats in 10 years... maybe.

• possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    I believe it has something to do with El Nino. I could be wrong.
    wrong ocean
  • I remember seeing something about climate change not too long ago and it showed the amount of snow covering a mountain top in one segment. Over the course of 30 years it has drastically gotten less and less. If I remember, there even concerns about the snow for either the winter Xgames or the winter Olympics, I cannot remember which.

I think our climate is changing quite rapidly, that is pretty evident. Even here in Thailand people have noticed some changes, but why it is happening is still under debate. Is it our doing, partly our doing, are we speeding it up, or is it totally a natural occurring thing.
  • I believe it has something to do with El Nino. I could be wrong.
    wrong ocean
    I'm not sure how widespread the effects of El Nino are, but I believe the whole of the North American continent is effected by southern Pacific temperature variations. Given that the the global climate is a single system, both the causal factors and effects of El Nino probably couldn't be disentangles from weather patterns anywhere on the planet.

That is why attribution of local conditions to global climate shifts is almost impossible.
    edited March 2012
    I remember seeing something about climate change not too long ago and it showed the amount of snow covering a mountain top in one segment. Over the course of 30 years it has drastically gotten less and less. If I remember, there even concerns about the snow for either the winter Xgames or the winter Olympics, I cannot remember which.

I think our climate is changing quite rapidly, that is pretty evident. Even here in Thailand people have noticed some changes, but why it is happening is still under debate. Is it our doing, partly our doing, are we speeding it up, or is it totally a natural occurring thing.
    The uncertainty factor will be taken advantage of until the effects are undeniable, and by then it will be a matter of adapting. Our way of life.. of endless growth and growing global consumption, can't be maintained... the system won't support it. My kid's generation is going to live very differently by the time he is my age. Some parts of the world will have to deal with more adversity than others...some not so bad. I think those who are already at the margins, places like sub-Saharan Africa, and even the American South west... will have some tough adapting to do. The "tipping point" effects like the release of co2 from the permafrost, and the greater absorption of solar energy by Arctic oceans free of ice, are the wild card...

It's happened before , the global climate has swung all over the place during it history... this time we are nature's new twist. Life will muddle along.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Scotland's daffodils bloomed earlier than England's this year,,, normally, Spring up there is at least 6 weeks behind that of the south...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2115464/Scottish-farmer-lose-15m-early-daffodils-pickers-England.html
  • "This year" always seems peculiar. Two years ago in Ohio, I remember the talk of the "ice age" we must be entering because we were still buried in snow a few weeks into March. I am very hesitant of attributing to any larger or grander pattern. I believe 2010 was a record snow level for us. This year will surely be a record lack of snow.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited March 2012

And just in case you're not sure human emissions are the cause.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/human-co2-smaller-than-natural-emissions-intermediate.htm
  • robotrobot Veteran
    The pacific has been affected by la nina (rather than el nino) for several years now. So the water in the north pacific is cooler than normal. It appears to be good for ocean survival of salmon runs, but makes for cooler and wetter winters here on the coast.
    edited March 2012
    And just in case you're not sure human emissions are the cause.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/human-co2-smaller-than-natural-emissions-intermediate.htm
    I have no doubt that human activity is causing the climate to change. The problem is that no particular event can be attributed to climate change, and this uncertainty leaves room for doubt to be cast and short term interests to prevail. Uncertainty is just the nature of a large complex non-linear system. So we have the weird situation of being certain at this point of general climate change and the need for caution in attributing particular events to that general change.
  • What of the UN's report (or some UN body) a year or two ago about cow's flatulence producing more methane gas for the atmosphere than car emmissions?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    solar flares also have something to do with it...

i think everybody's right, and nobody's any more 'wrong' than anyone else....

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/science/news-if-you-hear-hoofbeats-think-zebras-fresh-look-global-warming
  • What of the UN's report (or some UN body) a year or two ago about cow's flatulence producing more methane gas for the atmosphere than car emmissions?
    Notwithstanding natural sources of green house gases, the burning of fossil fuels has contibuted to raised the co2 levels in the atmosphere. We are running an experiment and we are the test subjects. This is not controversial in mainstream scientific thinking by every account I am familiar with. I'm not really interested in debating the general idea of climate change... ten years ago maybe.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    What of the UN's report (or some UN body) a year or two ago about cow's flatulence producing more methane gas for the atmosphere than car emmissions?
    yeah, methane is nasty for the greenhouse effect.
    It just adds to the problem.

and the warmer the planet gets, the more methane will be produced.
    almost getting exponentially worse

methane from farm animals, cars, + Carbon dioxide from cars and burning fuels = bad news
  • solar flares also have something to do with it...

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/science/news-if-you-hear-hoofbeats-think-zebras-fresh-look-global-warming

I think it has been fairly established at this point that co2 emissions are causing changes that can be separated from the noise of natural fluctuations .. but we on the ground looking at the weather cannot do that.

edited March 2012
    @RichardH I wasn't referring to you specifally in 'you're', it was more to anyone who denies human contribution.
    What of the UN's report (or some UN body) a year or two ago about cow's flatulence producing more methane gas for the atmosphere than car emmissions?
    Methane (CH4) is a greenhouse gas that remains in the atmosphere for approximately 9-15 years. Methane is over 20 times more effective in trapping heat in the atmosphere than carbon dioxide (CO2)

http://www.epa.gov/methane/
    To the OP about attributing specific weather to global warming or not. I think in part that's why the change to the term climate change has happened. Otherwise whenever its cooler than normal you can hear someone say, "So much for global warming"
    edited March 2012
    Thinking about how methane is 20 times more potent of a greenhouse gas and that livestock account for about 5% of methane. If humans stopped consumption of meat most of our climate change problems would be solved.
    solar flares also have something to do with it...

The first three graphs showed no correlation with sun activity and warming, that was all done by the author.

The last one seems to show some correlation so I looked up the source.
    ...we point out that solar variability is unlikely to have been the dominant cause of the strong warming during the past three decades3.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v431/n7012/full/nature02995.html
    So I think that they feel there is some contribution but not enough to give those resistant to change much ammo.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I'm glad you posted about this, Richard. I've been worried about the unusual warmth so early in the season. It sounds by your description that Oklahoma has moved north, and taken its tornados with it!

The thing about global warming is that it's not so simple as consistently causing warming. They say it causes more anomalies than before, so "ice age"-type weather is part of it, excessive flooding is part of it. But the bigger picture is that southern weather is moving north, flora are changing in response to that, flowers are blooming earlier which is adversely affecting some animal species, all these things are already upon us.

One thing that was predicted when global warming was first discussed, back in the 1970's, was that the changes will hit a point where they become exponential, and feed on themselves. So warming will produce a drier climate which will cause forest fires, which in turn will cause accelerated warming, the melting permafrost will release methane, further accelerating warming, and the spiral goes up and up. It seems like we're on the cusp of that.
  • A few questions...

1) Isn't warmer weather generally better for societies and populations? The Medieval Warm Period saw a boom in Europe's population, while the cold centuries following the decline of the Roman Empire saw much famine.

2) How would you convince a skeptic that this particular bout of change in climate is an unnatural, man-made phenomenon where as the changes in previous centuries were all natural with man playing no role.

3) Isn't "Climate Change" the term dubious since it would seem to imply that any weather at anytime would be "proof" that the climate is changing?

4) What is the solution to climate change if it does exist? I have heard calls for the regulation of car emissions and taxing of carbon output. But it doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things if only the US adopts these policies and China and India don't. No?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    1. Warmer may be better up to a point, but we're getting beyond that point. Tropical diseases are moving north. That can't be good.

2. I would throw relevant articles at him/her.

3. Who uses the term "Climate Change"? Never heard of it. Is that a Bushism?

4. The solution is to consume less, recycle, build better office buildings, that don't require much fuel for internal "climate control", develop renewable energy resources, develop and implement an economic model that includes the cost of environmental degradation in the business expense sheet, recycle water, develop public transportation, design more energy-efficient appliances, etc. etc. In order to pull such plans off, first corporate control over the political process would need to be addressed. That's why all these things weren't done already 30-40 years ago. That's why we're still at Square One.

OK, Richard and person, your turn. ;)
    1. To me its more about the rate of change. Certainly humans can live and adapt to all sorts of climatic conditions. Our current society is based upon certain weather patterns (where our farms are located, how close our cities are to the ocean, etc.) To change those patterns dramatically over a period of a generation or two will cause lots of problems.

2. Relation of Carbon in the atmosphere to global average temperature:

Atmospheric carbon dioxode:

Global carbon emissions:

3. Climate change isn't measured in single weather events. Its measured by the overall pattern of weather. Like a contractor that gets paid by the job, you can't look at one job and say what his yearly income will be since the number of jobs isn't known.

4. I'm rather pessemistic about a solution myself. The consequences are too far removed from most peoples experience. At some point though I do feel that we will feel the concrete effects of warming and then the consequences of releasing greenhouse gases will noticably outwiegh the costs of curbing their use.

There are plenty of ways to reduce emissions, what is lacking is the will.
  • I keep saying that if global warming was announced this year, people would believe it.
    I love winter so I am annoyed by all this warm weather all winter. Right now it's 80 out and the only time it has snowed all season was in January and that only stayed for less than 2 days. Big difference from last year where we had a giant snowstorm.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    There are plenty of ways to reduce emissions, what is lacking is the will.
    Mostly the political will. And I suspect that with the formation of the WTO and regional trading blocs (NAFTA, etc.), the political will isn't likely to arise. :(

edited March 2012
    What warm weather? Our usually temperate weather hit some huge snags: ice, snow, cold winds. It's been horrid this year in the Pacific NW!
    Today started out with snow, then sun, then hail.... enough already!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    It's been horrid this year in the Pacific NW!
    But don't you love those dramatic changes? March used to be like that here, in NM. Instead, it's been in the 60's, with just 2 days of light snow mixed in. And think of what all that snow will do for the water supply--a good snowpack is essential! One of the worries about global warming on the West Coast is that there will be much less snow, and more rain. Rain runs off immediately, and causes flooding and mudslides. Snow stores water for summer use as it melts. Count your blessings. It sounds like El Nino/La Nina is at work in your neck of the woods.

edited March 2012
    A few questions...

1) Isn't warmer weather generally better for societies and populations? The Medieval Warm Period saw a boom in Europe's population, while the cold centuries following the decline of the Roman Empire saw much famine.
    It might be win and lose for some... any benefit for a given place would be countered by a problem in that place.. More arable land/greater infestation and destruction of forests...etc. ...and only in the short term because the whole planet is along for the ride. There are wild card effects, runaway effects, with the defrosting of the north, and the warming of the ocean.. a system collapse here has knock on effects there.... It is an experiment we are running on ourselves. No one can predict the outcome, but we only have one planet.
    2)
    How would you convince a skeptic that this particular bout of change in climate is an unnatural, man-made phenomenon where as the changes in previous centuries were all natural with man playing no role.
    Apparently you can't. For the most part it is business as usual, with a green label.
    3) Isn't "Climate Change" the term dubious since it would seem to imply that any weather at anytime would be "proof" that the climate is changing?
    That is what the OP is about. But science does not just look out the window, it gathers more and more data.. and builds a stronger case, an almost universal consensus at this point..
    4) What is the solution to climate change if it does exist? I have heard calls for the regulation of car emissions and taxing of carbon output. But it doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things if only the US adopts these policies and China and India don't. No?
    The way we live now, the way of endless economic expansion as the measure of good, and escalating resource use by a world wanting to live like middle class westerners, is unsustainable, because the global ecosystem is finite. We have come to that wall, and the crash is in slow-mo. To be honest I do not think we will act on time, and it is already too late. We will be chastened as a species, lose a lot, grieve, adapt when we have no choice, and carry on.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    The way we live now, the way of endless economic expansion as the measure of good, and escalating resource use by a world wanting to live like middle class westerners, is unsustainable, because the global ecosystem is finite.
    Ironically, even middle class Westerners aren't living like middle class Westerners anymore. All those (formerly) middle class Westerners who lost their homes, or are on the edge of losing their homes, are watching middle class Indians and Chinese surpass them in standard of living.

If the West can no longer afford to maintain environmental standards (such as they ever were), who will? Certainly not China.

It's been horrid this year in the Pacific NW!
    But don't you love those dramatic changes? March used to be like that here, in NM. Instead, it's been in the 60's, with just 2 days of light snow mixed in. And think of what all that snow will do for the water supply--a good snowpack is essential! One of the worries about global warming on the West Coast is that there will be much less snow, and more rain. Rain runs off immediately, and causes flooding and mudslides. Snow stores water for summer use as it melts. Count your blessings. It sounds like El Nino/La Nina is at work in your neck of the woods.

Actually during the ice storm last month, the losses on our property were dramatic, most of our deciduous trees lost heir tops, lots of branches came down, fence boards broke, trees across the drive and the roads, no power (or water) for 4 days....
    Business were shut down, I don't remember the numbers, but I believe 250 000 to 500 000 people had no power, some for days without heat in freezing temps. We have wood heat, so we could cook and we were warm.
    There hasn't been a water shortage in years.
  • It's actually been cooler in Hawaii... the weather is dramatically changing in different ways globally... I hope we can adapt.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Mid-Michigan here.

This winter was very light. It was shorter and much milder than normal (still got damn cold, but it's all relative) Now we are consistently having weather that is sunny, refreshingly humid (not too much, not too little) and around 60-70+ degrees Fahrenheit. I can already smell spring in the air and life returning. Heck, the birds are back en force.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    @possibilities Where do you live? Urban or rural? I remember when I spent a couple of years in Oregon, ice storms were routine, but maybe not that severe, as what you describe.

Water shortages are predicted for the NW under global warming, that was my point.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    OMG! She lost the Peace Prize to Al Gore??! :hrm:
    edited March 2012
    Al Gore = climate change?

Courageous old woman who went through Hell = what really matters (i.e. not climate change)?

Don't follow.

The fairly certain fact that changes are under way in our physical environment, due to our activity, is not a zero sum fact that negates other real facts of the human experience. By presenting Gore=climate change, and old woman= profound human virtue that is not climate change , is a false dichotomy, and a bit of a shoehorn.

This is samsara. On a certain level, no matter how much things go "my way" sometimes, it sucks. That sucking includes Nazis and environmental misery. Greed, hatred, and delusion are at play in both.

• @RichardH said: By presenting Gore=climate change, and old woman= profound human virtue that is not climate change , is a false dichotomy, and a bit of a shoehorn.

If we follow the logic that man's contribution to climate change is a decidedly significant one - a fairly certain fact - then that is a rubric for "global warming's" (a la Al Gore) validity.

However, if we consider other contributors such as Earth's tilt and elliptical orbit, land mass distribution, sea floor spreading, solar reflectivity, and solar activity variability we see a complex set of variables that occur over hundreds, thousands and millions of years bringing about cooling and warming atmospheric and climactic changes.

The ever popular "greenhouse effect" effecting global heat retention is due to atmospheric gases, mostly water vapor (not droplets), carbon dioxide, methane and a few other gases. Human additions to these gases are approximately 0.2% - 0.3%. Attributing noticeable climate change in a few years due to such output is a false theory.

So, with 99.7% of the "greenhouse effect" being due to natural causes it doesn't seem too disingenuous to point out that an old Polish lady who saved the lives of 2500 Jewish children in the Warsaw Ghetto during WWII was overlooked in favor of a failed presidential candidate (who now stands to be the worlds first carbon billionaire) spreading global warming hysteria for a Nobel Peace Prize.

The idea that man-made pollution is responsible for global warming is not supported by historical fact. The period known as the Holocene Maximum is a good example-- so-named because it was the hottest period in human history. The interesting thing is this period occurred approximately 7500 to 4000 years B.P. (before present)-- long before humans invented industrial pollution.

If we are in a global warming crisis today, even the most aggressive and costly proposals for limiting industrial carbon dioxide emissions would have a negligible effect on global climate.

Offering Ilena Serena's story in juxtaposition was, perhaps an obtuse way of saying of global warming due to human contributions:

"I ain't buying it."

edited March 2012
    The bottom line is you are not buying it.... and if by "it" you mean attributing this year's wonky weather in Toronto (for instance) to human driven climate change, I can't buy it either. That's the point of the O.P.

But I also can't buy the vanishing of human impact into a world of variables. That is just too much like how I would like it to be. "It's a big dynamic uncertain world. The climate is inherently unstable. It can swallow everything, and we are chugging along making no difference."

We will see... In the mean time.. I'm not a fan of Al gore and didn't see his movie or slide show..

• The earth will be fine no matter what. Us humans, on the other hand, might want to consider the consequences of our choices...
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I think they made a TV movie of her life. Memories of seeing this on film are bubbling up.

I'm going to relink this in light of @IronRabbit's post.
    The CO2 that nature emits (from the ocean and vegetation) is balanced by natural absorptions (again by the ocean and vegetation). Therefore human emissions upset the natural balance, rising CO2 to levels not seen in at least 800,000 years. In fact, human emit 26 gigatonnes of CO2 per year while CO2 in the atmosphere is rising by only 15 gigatonnes per year - much of human CO2 emissions is being absorbed by natural sinks.

• IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited March 2012
    The case for a "greenhouse problem" is made by environmentalists, news anchormen , and special interests who make inaccurate and misleading statements about global warming and climate change. Even though people may be skeptical of such rhetoric initially, after awhile people start believing it must be true because we hear it so often.

Just like the mass hysteria surrounding the "opinions" about human contributions to CO2 emissions - it it is repeated enough - it is accepted as fact. Repetition of fallacy - repeat - does not make it factual.

Of the 186 billion tons of carbon from CO2 that enter earth's atmosphere each year from all sources, only 6 billion tons are from human activity. Approximately 90 billion tons come from biologic activity in earth's oceans and another 90 billion tons from such sources as volcanoes and decaying land plants.

At 380 parts per million CO2 is a minor constituent of earth's atmosphere-- less than 4/100ths of 1% of all gases present. Compared to former geologic times, earth's current atmosphere is CO2- impoverished.

CO2 is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. Plants absorb CO2 and emit oxygen as a waste product. Humans and animals breathe oxygen and emit CO2 as a waste product. Carbon dioxide is a nutrient, not a pollutant, and all life-- plants and animals alike-- benefit from more of it. All life on earth is carbon-based and CO2 is an essential ingredient. When plant-growers want to stimulate plant growth, they introduce more carbon dioxide.

CO2 that goes into the atmosphere does not stay there but is continually recycled by terrestrial plant life and earth's oceans-- the great retirement home for most terrestrial carbon dioxide.

Unfortunately, we tend to overestimate our actual impact on the planet. In this case the magnitude of the gas emissions involved, even by the most aggressive estimates of atmospheric warming by greenhouse gases, is inadequate to account for the magnitude of temperature increases.

@person, using the propaganda model of the greenhouse effect caused by humans creating global warming to support vegetarianism stating that abolishing the meat industry would solve all the climate problems is irresponsible, false and self serving.

edited March 2012
    Hi ironRabbit. You make your view clear, and how strongly you feel about it.

I have a different perspective.... but don't feel that strongly about this issue, at least not enough to dig in my heels...

I can't see much at stake arguing it on this forum.
    I was really impressed by Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth"
  • Hi Richard - I guess this is like someone asking "How's the weather?" and the other person responding with a tirade about a conspiracy to convince everyone that the Russians are using Nikola Tesla's discoveries to generate massive amounts of static electricity directing it to divert both jetstream and ocean currents to disrupt world economics and cripple Western commerce.

I am heading to Vancouver, BC and Regina, SK for business next week and am looking forward to a little less ice and blowing snow. Any wildflowers out in Ontario?
    @person, using the propaganda model of the greenhouse effect caused by humans creating global warming to support vegetarianism stating that abolishing the meat industry would solve all the climate problems is irresponsible, false and self serving.
    Methane is also a greenhouse gas, supposedly 20 times more potent than carbon. I get that data from the EPA, they're not the only ones, where else should I get my info from? Anyway that was a minor random thought of mine and not really the crux of my posts.

As to my link, the main point of it is that while man's contribution to greenhouse gases is small its enough to upset the natural balance pushing us towards warming. Like a scale with 500 pounds on each side, putting 5 extra pounds on one of the sides, while relatively small, upsets the equilibrium. About %40 of human emissions get reabsorbed by natural processes, the rest adds to the concentration of greenhouse gasses up over time increasing the ability of the atmosphere to retain heat.
    edited March 2012
    Hi Richard - I guess this is like someone asking "How's the weather?" and the other person responding with a tirade about a conspiracy to convince everyone that the Russians are using Nikola Tesla's discoveries to generate massive amounts of static electricity directing it to divert both jetstream and ocean currents to disrupt world economics and cripple Western commerce.
    SShhhhh...... ;)
    I am heading to Vancouver, BC and Regina, SK for business next week and am looking forward to a little less ice and blowing snow. Any wildflowers out in Ontario?
    B.C. is getting below average temps and rain.. always rains, ....the prairies (looove the prairies..all that open sky) are mild. Ontario is in late May, everything is springing up.

I'm a weather geek.... when other kids were looking at Playboy, I was watching the play of light as the altocumulus passed under the high cirrus, and low dark scud raced ahead of a cumulonimbus incus, with an ominous hint of mesocyclonic twist. The pulse raced.