Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

World Health Organization is on high alert about new Ugandan outbreak. So... Zombies Are Now Real?

edited March 2012 in General Banter
The article is here.

In the 1960's, a virus sprung about in Sudan, mainly affecting children. The Uganda infections, though, are a new outbreak -- a troubling sign. The jump into a new region could be pure coincidence, or it could indicate the disease has become more virulent or found a new transmissions vector. The disease offers a tragic, slow mental degradation, taking years to develop. Grace Lagat, a northern Uganda native, is mother of two children -- Pauline Oto and Thomas -- both of whom are victims of the disease. For their safety, when she leaves the house, she now ties them up, using fabric like handcuffs. She recalls, "When I am going to the garden, I tie them with cloth. If I don't tie them I come back and find that they have disappeared."

Reportedly the children gnaw at their fabric restraints, like a rabid animals -- or "zombies" of popular fiction -- in an attempt to escape. (This is based on CNN's commentary.) The effort to restrain the children is not unwarranted. In one of the most bizarre symptoms of this tragic illness, children with the disease are reportedly setting fire to buildings in their communities. Coupled with the aimless wandering this disease provokes in victims, this is a deadly combination. More than 200 people have been killed in fires believed to be set by the zombified children. (According to Jason Oh, there have been few reports of violent behavior. It is unclear where our primary source CNN received this information, though a reader suggested that a CDC report indicated that 10 to 15 percent of children were found to exhibit increased aggression. We were unable to locate this report.) While reports of violence or strange behavior -- like biting -- are disputed, the disease is very serious. It may seem like a foreign issue to regions like the U.S. and EU who are struggling with their own financial crisises. But if the illness finds a way to broaden its spread, this outbreak could cripple children across the globe.

Infected children typically have regular seizures, which are proceeded by a repetitive nodding of the head. This characteristic symptom has given rise to the unofficial title for the malady. Seizures often leave the children soiled with urine and drooling. Local nurses are afraid to touch the infected. States local nurse Elupe Petua, "I feel, because I don't know what causes it, I don't even know how it transmits, when I touch them I feel that I can also get the infection because I don't know what causes it." Anti-epileptic medication slows the onset of symptoms, but is unable to stop the progression of the disease. The seizures eventually leave many children unable to walk, only able to drag their bodies along the ground as flies tried to attack them.

Comments

• i've seen this article before... i think you would have to check it with what the microbiologist have to say about it, though.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing!
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

Medicine is discovering that there are infectious organisms that can change our behaviour. It is said that the balance of bacteria in our belly is important for our emotional state!

Here are some other examples
    http://www.viewzone.com/toxo.html

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/emerging-diseases/200903/infection-can-change-your-personality-theres-plenty-proof

Here is one on zombie ants:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=fungus-makes-zombie-ants

/Victor
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Yeah I've heard about this kind of thing. I wouldn't call them zombies though, they're not undead. My definition of zombies is a human that has died, then their bodies are re-animated either through some disease or a supernatural force /geekdom.

I'm sure that if there was some serious research into it there would be some means to treat this sickness. But I wouldn't be overly concerned about zombies unless the disease directly causes fatalities then those fatalities come back to life and start gnawing on someone.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Why hasn't this illness been addressed? Where are the research dollars for a treatment? Does the global community just ignore illnesses that befall Africans, and hope the disease stays local? Millions are given for cancer and AIDS research. What do Africans get? :grumble:

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    most of us are already affected by mind modifying parasites.

>Over half of the world's human population is estimated to carry a Toxoplasma infection.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

makes guys more aggressive and woman more promiscuous...
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    SHUT. UP.

OMG.

@Zayl The zombies in the '24 Days Later' movies weren't dead either. There's a lot of examples of zombies that are not 'reanimated'.

But going back to those "Buddhist Ethics Regarding Zombies" threads. This is... not good news for that (I mean, if you had dreams of defending your castle with an AK-47 with hoards of zombies swamping the walls, I mean. Not that anyone thinks like that... :orange: ). At least they don't eat people...
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Estimates between 11-22% of Americans are infected. 47% in rural France?? Does that include Dominique Strauss-Kahn? :lol:
    Toxoplasmosis
    makes guys more aggressive and promiscuous...
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    most of us are already affected by mind modifying parasites.

>Over half of the world's human population is estimated to carry a Toxoplasma infection.

This is the parasite that caused them to warn against pregnant women changing cat litter, right?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Yes! According to the info at the link patbb gave, it's spread by cats. Really makes you think twice about keeping a cat. The disease can cause encephalitis.

ok, can someone start a thread on some cheerful news for a change? Please??
  • most of us are already affected by mind modifying parasites.

Well, isn't that just depressing? .. OH WAIT, MAYBE ITS THE PARASITES MAKING ME SAD.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Toxoplasmosis is cool. Part of its lifecycle occurs in mice. It effects their brains so that they aren't afraid of cats thus ensuring that cats will eat them and they can move on to another part of their lifecycle.

This is a fun Radiolab short on Toxoplasmosis:

http://www.radiolab.org/2009/sep/07/the-scratch/
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    So now we know how the cats get it--from the mice. It's a good argument for not keeping cats, if you ask me.

Nobody appreciated my Dominique Strauss-Kahn joke. Oh well. :-/ Can't win 'em all.
  • I have a cat...
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    You're not worried about Kitty Cooties?
  • You're not worried about Kitty Cooties?
    I probably already have them. I regularly play in my cats litter box... so...
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I have a cat which visits me daily and which I have named Henry after Henry the 8th because he seems to lounge around and leer up as if he is some sort of king when he decides to stay on my property.

But going back to the article, those kids must really be suffering a whole lot, seizures, soiling themselves, no medical care or attention or even interaction, confusion, has this kind of just sailed by everyone's brain here? This is quite a very dreadful situation and it needs to be addressed, not glorified because they appear to be like zombies from a movie IMO.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Good point, Tom. It comes back to my question: why is no one trying to do anything about this? Where is the international aid effort, the volunteer doctors, or whatever? Also, why is this confined to children? Why aren't the adults who care for the children getting it? Many unanswered questions.
  • I have done some research of my own and this virus has been known to be around since 1962... Quite a long time for testing and research to have been done if you ask me. That is an unjustice intself, but also it kind of makes me recoil slightly at the fact people seem to glorify it because it has some very little correlation with a specific type of 'zombie' in a couple of movies. When you actually look at the reality of the matter, it is quite disturbing and these kids are the ones getting the shit dished out to them.

On looking on what research I have found, the main symptoms have very little to do with so called zombie like behaviour in the sense of violence, mainly seizures, drooling, starring, nodding etc. Often the kids get tied to trees whist their parents do things such as farming or manual labour of some kind.