Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Proposal for a Distinction in Different Approaches to Buddhism

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited April 2012 in Buddhism Today
I think the distinction between skeptical and faithful doesn't really fit into the Buddhist framework like it does for most other religions. Buddhism encourages critical inquiry so I think a more fitting distinction may be practical vs. philosophical or metaphysical (the study of the immaterial). This just came to me this morning so I'm still working it out, I'm biased towards the metaphysical, so any additional suggestions or defining characteristics would be welcome, a bit of newbuddhist brainstorming. Anyway, I thought to start with a list of some of the main features of each, what they are and what they aren't. There will be crossover and elements from each in the other, this is just meant to be what is seen to be the main focus and distinguishes the two. Practical buddhists don't like being called cherry pickers and philosophical buddhists don't like being called gullible or uncritical, so lets say they aren't but approach Buddhism from different aspects.

Practical Buddhism:
-Is mainly concerned with knowledge and practices that help in daily life.
-Relys primarily on knowledge that is objectively knowable
-Uses objective analysis and everyday experience to reach conclusions
-Doesn't find useful metaphysical inquiry into reality for practice
-Improves the quality of this life and probably the next, (if such a thing exists)

Philosophical Buddhism
-Seeks to understand the nature of existence
-Accepts first person experience as a legitimate source of knowledge
-Uses reason and philosopical inference to reach conclusions
-Doesn't think that all that is knowable is material
-Improves the quality of future lives and probably this one, (if such a thing exists :p )

Again, this is just a rough start and any input or ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Hi @person,

Why do we need to divide things up? This is something humans always tend to do, find the differences and focus on that. But in my eyes, doing this isn't Buddhism at all, because labeling ourselves with things is identifying ourselves with things, which is not what the Dhamma teaches.

To tell you the truth, there are millions of types of "Buddhism". There is Sabre-"Buddhism", there is person-"Buddhism", there is Dalai Lama"Buddhism", there is Thich Nhat Hanh-"Buddhism" etc. etc. Everybody has his or her personal experience of the dhamma.

Fitting those experiences into certain categories only limits them, in my perspective. Like in your boxes, someone who is philosofical apparently is not practical..

with metta,
    Sabre
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Hi @patbb,

Why do we need to divide things up? This is something humans always tend to do, find the differences and focus on that. But in my eyes, doing this isn't Buddhism at all, because labeling ourselves with things is identifying ourselves with things, which is not what the Dhamma teaches.

To tell you the truth, there are millions of types of "Buddhism". There is Sabre-"Buddhism", there is patbb-"Buddhism", there is Dalai Lama"Buddhism", there is Thich Nhat Hanh-"Buddhism" etc. etc. Everybody has his or her personal experience of the dhamma.

Fitting all off those into certain categories only limits them, in my perspective. Like in your boxes, someone who is philosofical apparently is not practical..

with metta,
    Sabre
    Well, it is probably true that we don't need to, but we do divide things up so this is an effort to do it in a more realistic and healthier way. I tried to say that there would be crossover and elements from each in the other but was intended draw a distinction.

I guess that's one in the column for scrap the idea. I'm hoping to keep it and improve it though so I'd prefer any suggestions to make it better.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    @Person, although I somewhat agree with Sabre, please proceed. I think sometimes classification systems help us understand an area of study...not to mention it is a natural human trait to classify.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran

Practical Buddhism:
    -Improves the quality of this life and probably the next, (if such a thing exists)

Philosophical Buddhism
    -Improves the quality of future lives and probably this one, (if such a thing exists :p )

Practical Buddhism:
    -Seeks to observe the nature of consciousness directly
    thats the basis of practical Buddhism imo.
    How to do this technically without any of the fluff. How to get the deeper meditation and progress quickly so we can realize this.

Practical Buddhism:

Philosophical Buddhism

Practical Buddhism:
    -Seeks to observe the nature of consciousness directly
    thats the basis of practical Buddhism imo.
    How to do this technically without any of the fluff. How to get the deeper meditation and progress quickly so we can realize this.
    Thanks, obviously the details still need to be worked out but I included that aspect in philosophical Buddhism in "accepts first person experience as a legitimate source of knowledge." So maybe I need to include something similar like you suggest into the practical side. Like I said I'm a little biased, but my thinking is that practical Buddhism isn't interested in refined meditative states but only in how meditation can improve life.

The distinction also isn't to say that philosophical Buddhism is only interested in speculation and not practice and practical Buddhism is only interested in practice and doesn't want any philosophical context, so maybe I need to make that more explicit.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Like I said I'm a little biased, but my thinking is that practical Buddhism isn't interested in refined meditative states but only in how meditation can improve life.
    haha

i would say it's the complete exact opposite ;)

Usually practical Buddhists are pretty much only interested by those, and not (enough?) about the 8 fold path, loving kindness etc...

How to get the technical stuff done, how to get there quickly, what happen to the mind in such states, how to recognize whats happening so we can progress, recognizing where one is blocked so he can unblock himself and move forward etc...
    Like I said I'm a little biased, but my thinking is that practical Buddhism isn't interested in refined meditative states but only in how meditation can improve life.
    haha

Usually practical Buddhists are pretty much only interested by those, and not (enough?) about the 8 fold path, loving kindness etc...

How to get the technical stuff done, how to get there quickly, what happen to the mind in such states, how to recognize whats happening so we can progress, recognizing where one is blocked so he can unblock himself and move forward etc...
    Hmm, maybe the categories themselves aren't very good. What I mean by practical in opposition to philosophical isn't so much about effort but about knowledge. So like when someone is curious about what happens after death the practical buddhist says, "irrelevant."

You bring up a good point and I think I'll have to come up with a different label.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    haha

Hmm, maybe the categories themselves aren't very good. What I mean by practical in opposition to philosophical isn't so much about effort but about knowledge. So like when someone is curious about what happens after death the practical buddhist says, "irrelevant."

You bring up a good point and I think I'll have to come up with a different label.
    about:
    - practical
    - religious
    - philosophical (doesn't do any meditation but talk about it and criticize the other 2 ;)
    - philosophical (doesn't do any meditation but talk about it and criticize the other 2 ;)
    Funny. Yeah, ok I need to clarify my distinctions better. Metaphysical may be the better than philosophical. Meaning that it concerns itself with learning and studying about the immaterial aspects of life. I wanted to stay away from the opposite being material because that has many negative connotations, but still need some way to differentiate between practitioners who think metaphysics are important and those who don't.

• Practical Buddhism:

Philosophical Buddhism

I can't tease these things apart, person. The choice between "Metaphysical Buddhism" and "Practical Buddhism" is a choice between how to miss the mark of actual practice.
    I do not mean practice in a highfaluting way, just ass on the cushion practice.

I think perhaps empirical Buddhism vs metaphysical Buddhism might be a better distinction. The distinction being where one finds the source of their knowledge not how one practices Buddhism.
    Take Two

Empirical Buddhism:
    -Doesn't find metaphysical inquiry into reality useful for practice
    -Understands that the core of Buddhism is application of understanding via contemplation and meditation

Metaphysical Buddhism
    -Understands that the core of Buddhism is application of understanding via contemplation and meditation
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I know you are trying to find a more skillful way of naming things, I like that. And although I still think it is not really nescessary, I have to say that's not really where I see the problem. There are different practitioners and different approaches to Buddhism, that's just the way it is. Different types of followers were already mentioned in the suttas.

So far, so good. However, if you start to ascribe certain characteristics to certain types of practitioners, you limit them - both the practitioners and the characteristics. For example, I could conclude that understanding of the nature of existence is something that (according to this division) doesn't help in daily life? And also you can't find this nature through everyday experience..

There's more issues I could adress, but my point is: It doesn't matter how we approach the dhamma. If we practice the 8-fold path correctly, the results will be the same for everybody. And so we don't have to label others (or ourselves for that matter) and by doing so in our projection limit their possibilities.

With metta,
    Sabre
    edited April 2012
    I know you are trying to find a more skillful way of naming things, I like that. And although I still think it is not really nescessary, I have to say that's not really where I see the problem. There are different practitioners and different approaches to Buddhism, that's just the way it is. Different types of followers were already mentioned in the suttas.

So far, so good. However, if you start to ascribe certain characteristics to certain types of practitioners, you limit them - both the practitioners and the characteristics. For example, I could conclude that understanding of the nature of existence is something that (according to this division) doesn't help in daily life? And also you can't find this meaning through everyday experience..

There's more issues I could adress, but my point is: It doesn't matter how we approach the dhamma. If we practice the 8-fold path correctly, the results will be the same for everybody. And so we don't have to label others (or ourselves for that matter) and by doing so in our projection limit their possibilities.
    I suppose you're right. I guess I'm just particularly sensitive to being labeled as someone who's understanding comes from faith or belief in the scriptures. I was a dreamer as a kid and not much of a studier and was regularly considered stupid by others. The 'rational' crowd, aka. people who speak at the Reason Rally, would label any kind of belief in anything non material as stupid or irrational. I come to my beliefs through a process of first person investigation and reason not blind, stupid faith. Maybe I'm just looking for some justification or validation of my approach, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Maybe I'm just looking for some justification or validation of my approach, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here.
    I myself was always skeptical about everything; always questioning everything; I could never accept anything that I didn't see or test for myself. Through practice, the idea of a non material mind became stronger and confirmed. Still, when I share this idea, people tend to think I based it on blind faith, just because it is in their experience not possible. I can see how you find this a bit sensitive. But maybe the person saying such things is the one who is the one who is blind..

Ajahn Brahm says to people who claim there is nothing immaterial: "Where is this idea of you that there is nothing immaterial? I can't see it, so apparently it doesn't exist.." :lol: This is wise in two ways: First, he's making a point to ponder. Second, and maybe more improtant, he's making a joke out of it, not getting upset if someone disagrees. Someone calls you stupid, you smile because you know better.

And maybe this is a start of some validation you are seeking. I hope you can find something in it.

At Sāvatthī. “Bhikkhus, the eye is impermanent, changing, becoming otherwise. The ear
    … The nose … The tongue … The body … The mind is impermanent, changing,
    becoming otherwise. One who places faith in these teachings and resolves on them thus is called a faith-follower, one who has entered the fixed course of rightness, entered the
    plane of superior persons, transcended the plane of the worldlings. He is incapable of
    doing any deed by reason of which he might be reborn in hell, in the animal realm, or in
    the domain of ghosts; he is incapable of passing away without having realized the fruit of
    stream-entry.
    One for whom these teachings are accepted thus after being pondered to a sufficient
    degree with wisdom is called a Dhamma-follower,
    one who has entered the fixed
    course of rightness, entered the plane of superior persons, transcended the plane of the
    worldlings. He is incapable of doing any deed by reason of which he might be reborn in
    hell, in the animal realm, or in the domain of ghosts; he is incapable of passing away
    without having realized the fruit of stream-entry.
    http://books.google.nl/books?id=lW48Fnqj1D0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=connected+discourses+of+bodhi&hl=nl&sa=X&ei=Syx6T5TuJoKBOs-V-e0N&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=connected discourses of bodhi&f=false

With metta,
    Sabre
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    Philosophy

1. Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means and moral self-discipline.
    2. Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.
    3. A system of thought based on or involving such inquiry
    4. The critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.
    ----------------

@person
    Currently there is already a distinct difference between Buddhism as philosophy and Buddhism as religion.

I can't tell whether this distinction is recognized in your 2 categories, or are you dividing up Buddhism based on the assumption it is a religion?
    I am happy enough to simply see Buddhism as a philosophy with some very valid and tested teachings. IMO the religious aspect enters the picture if you include the metaphysical ingredients such as gods, realms, rebirth - none of which I could ever believe in.
    The argument that the 4/8/5 only make sense if you believe in rebirth does not hold water, IMO, since all of that is applicable in THIS life with Immediate cause and effect and that is all one can hope for, realistically.

Maybe I'm still too new to all this, but that is the only difference I see regarding my own POV vs. traditional Buddhism, and the labels, even in take 2, do not seems to fully incorporate those differences...(?) and in fact are labeling "philosophy" what I would have named 'religion'....

At this point I actually abstain from calling myself "Buddhist", maybe because I feel one needs to accept Buddhism as religion for that label to apply.

----------------------------------------
    1-5 above: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/philosophy

At this point I actually abstain from calling myself "Buddhist", maybe because I feel one needs to accept Buddhism as religion for that label to apply.
    Let me just tell you what a monk told me in Thailand. If you think like a Buddhist and act like a Buddhist, then you are a Buddhist. I think you fit the qualification of a thinking Buddhist.

Philosophy

1. Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means and moral self-discipline.
    2. Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.
    3. A system of thought based on or involving such inquiry
    4. The critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.
    ----------------

@person
    Currently there is already a distinct difference between Buddhism as philosophy and Buddhism as religion.

I can't tell whether this distinction is recognized in your 2 categories, or are you dividing up Buddhism based on the assumption it is a religion?
    I am happy enough to simply see Buddhism as a philosophy with some very valid and tested teachings. IMO the religious aspect enters the picture if you include the metaphysical ingredients such as gods, realms, rebirth - none of which I could ever believe in.
    The argument that the 4/8/5 only make sense if you believe in rebirth does not hold water, IMO, since all of that is applicable in THIS life with Immediate cause and effect and that is all one can hope for, realistically.

Maybe I'm still too new to all this, but that is the only difference I see regarding my own POV vs. traditional Buddhism, and the labels, even in take 2, do not seems to fully incorporate those differences...(?) and in fact are labeling "philosophy" what I would have named 'religion'....

----------------------------------------
    1-5 above: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/philosophy
    I did decide to change the label to metaphysical instead of philosophical. Part of the reason for the attempt at a different way to distinguish the two was because of the labels of philosophy vs religion. Religion has the connotation of a belief system based upon blind faith or trust in scripture. So I wasn't trying to say that the core principles aren't in one or the other, but to try to say that the religious aspect as you define it isn't about blind faith but first person introspection and reason. So for now I'll go with my second take on the distinction.

I also don't think #2 in your description of philosophy really belongs in the empirical Buddhism category because I don't ever recall anyone relying on a reasoned explanation without a need for empirical data.
    In general I feel both groups accept the teachings of Buddhism the difference is in how they interpret them.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Take Two

Empirical Buddhism:

Metaphysical Buddhism
    Right there on the first points.. I would assert that they are one and the same.. Like emptiness and form.

The separating into two styles of Buddhism is a partialization of both.

IMHO.

• ZeroZero Veteran
    Maybe I'm just looking for some justification or validation of my approach
    The skeptic in you again huh? accept the skeptic - it means you no harm!

I'm not sure that dividing or categorising Buddhism as suggested would ultimately assist - all variety appears to exist in Buddhism reflecting the variety of the people who practice it and build it...

perhaps your categories would work better if you considered Buddhism as a whole and put in intermediate steps - stage 1 and so forth (or colours so its not hierarchical) - that way, perhaps, certain concepts would be utilised at different stages - so a green Buddhist may meditate once a day for 5 minutes and will try not to be angry with things whereas a red buddhist would never stop meditating and everything would be an impractical reflection of a philisophical reality... maybe...

I find for myself that I have over the years phased in and out of different ways of looking at life and each version has added something to the whole - some empirical and some metaphysical - yin / yang - 2 sides of the same coin...
    Religion has the connotation of a belief system based upon blind faith or trust in scripture. (.....) to try to say that the religious aspect as you define it isn't about blind faith but first person introspection and reason.
    I suggested that

"religious aspect enters the picture if you include the metaphysical ingredients such as gods, realms, rebirth."

Whether blind faith or "reasoning" ... it is still a metaphysical belief (without proof, which is fine, just not my style) -- so does this mean that your main concern here is to propose that 'religion' practiced the way you see it is arrived at by reasoning and personal experience/conviction rather than blind faith...?

Further, under "empirical Buddhism" you mention: "-Improves the quality of this life and probably the next, (if such a thing exists)" If it was empirical, wouldn't that exclude the reference to a next life? (empirical -- derived from or relating to experiment and observation rather than theory -- http://www.thefreedictionary.com/empirical )

The way I see it, you include unproven beliefs in both categories, so both include 'religious' aspects -- so non-religious Buddhism is not covered... right?

(Not arguing, just trying to understand....)
    I'm not sure that dividing or categorising Buddhism as suggested would ultimately assist - all variety appears to exist in Buddhism reflecting the variety of the people who practice it and build it...

What is being attempted here may not be of value to everyone. But when I was a teacher, I recall clearly that showing students something in a variety of ways meant that more students would understand. So what is being attempted here might lead some people to suddenly say, "Ah, now I get it!"

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2012
    @possibilities

You're concluding that views of rebirth and such are beliefs and based on faith/reasoning, not on proof. But it is possible for practitioners to confirm such things through their own practice. This was mentioned in the suttas and still taught nowadays. Approaching it via this way isn't a belief, it is empirical.

I think the sutta I quoted pretty much says it: There are people who start out with a lot of faith, because they feel the dhamma is right and there are people who base their ideas on wisdom and pondering, because they intellectually see the dhamma is right. Of course, there are also people who do a bit of both. However, the approach does not limit the possible experiences and views that can achieved. That's my main critique of the division made here.

With metta,
    Sabre
    edited April 2012
    This may be going off topic a bit here....

This point of "metaphysical Buddhism"
    The "ultimate" understanding..(using the word "Ultimate" carefully to mean no-relation or stand-alone) of Life etc.... is a non-understanding.. an unknowing, that is realized as ineffable and direct practice. It is the very same practice of ordinary life.. or "practical", "empirical", Dharma.

Ultimate understanding in the common sense is a purely relative affair... mundane. It is just supersized mundane, not trans-mundane.

edited April 2012

Without quite understanding the finer points of what you said, I also felt that this characteristic applies to "empirical" Buddhism as well -- so with that much overlapping, I wonder what IS the difference?

@person -- not nit-picking at your efforts, just weighing your statements against my understanding. I'm afraid this questioning is inherent when you put something up for discussion and you are yourself struggling to nail down the point you are making.... So, we're just "thinking" along with you.
    edited April 2012

Without quite understanding the finer points of what you said, I also felt that this characteristic applies to "empirical" Buddhism as well -- so with that much overlapping, I wonder what IS the difference?
    At the risk of sounding like internet-zen... thinking. I know that practice is not just the cushion .. it is all of life. But, sitting kills one bird with one stone.. it is the narrow gate of discipline that alone provides a taste of life unconditioned by subliminal thinking. Without that it is impossible IMHO. We can think and reflect for a thousand years and never approach it. Really, a miss is as good as a mile..

This is just IMHO... ofcourse. ..but it is said confidently.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Please no, no more labels....ok fine.
    So I guess I realize this is an attempt to cover the world with leather instead of putting leather on my own feet.

I do think I still want to move forward with this though and thanks to everyone's input I think I have a clearer understanding of why.

In most of modern culture there is a split between faith and reason. I don't think this distinction really works in Buddhism because of its emphasis on testing the teachings. So this is an effort to better label the difference, which clearly exists amongst people here.

The difference in approach really isn't about what teachings either school accepts but more in how they go about interpreting them.

I take your point about the first distinction @RichardH and @possibilities, in that they both try to understand their lives, the distinction is just in how they go about doing that, so I removed them. @possibilities I think I'll stick with the this life/next life distinction because I add (if such a thing exists) at the end.

Empirical Buddhism:
    -Doesn't find metaphysical inquiry into reality useful for practice

Metaphysical Buddhism
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2012
    about the different uses of Buddhism

a- people using Buddhism as some kind of religion replacement, seeking a place where they feel they belong as the primary objective.
    b- people using Buddhism to overcome something in their life, such as depression, anxiety
    c- people using Buddhism to get the work done and get enlighten.
    d- people using Buddhism to understand it's philosophy because they find it interesting or it somewhat match their own/match some of their insights.

so we could come up with some generalities
    and come up with assessments of the 8 fold path and see where they might generally do goo or lacking...

a- Usually work on morality, love community activities, rites and rituals...
    don't do much meditation, not much interest in retreats.
    usually do well with:
    3. Right speech
    4. Right action
    5. Right livelihood
    since not much meditation,
    usually could improve:
    1. Right view
    2. Right intention
    6. Right effort
    7. Right mindfulness
    8. Right concentration

b- people using Buddhism to overcome something in their life, such as depression, anxiety.
    Usually do some basic mindfulness meditation.
    might do good (but unlikely) with:
    6. Right effort
    7. Right mindfulness
    8. Right concentration

might do good with:
    3. Right speech
    4. Right action
    5. Right livelihood
    but only based on previous habits.

c- usually meditate hard.
    should do good with:
    1. Right view
    2. Right intention
    3. Right speech
    4. Right action
    5. Right livelihood
    6. Right effort
    7. Right mindfulness
    8. Right concentration
    but might overlook:
    3. Right speech
    4. Right action
    5. Right livelihood

d- not likely to do good on any of the path.
    might do good with:
    3. Right speech
    4. Right action
    5. Right livelihood
    but only based on previous habits.

about that?
    I like it @patbb, I'll think about it and see if I can incorporate any of it. I also don't want to say that my distinctions are the only way to practice Buddhism. Certainly an entirely faith based approach and an approach that tries to recreate the wheel, for lack of a better term, are ways that people approach the teachings, but not most.
  • An interesting discussion. I feel that the empirical and metaphysical methods are mutually supportive. That is, the study of metaphysics would provide a rational reason for believing in the efficacy of Buddhist practice, thus a way to bolster our faith if we need one. And perhaps it would even help to shed light on our experiences along the way.

The only aspect of the doctrine that does not seem to fall out of metaphysical analysis is rebirth. This may require empirical knowledge. But Nagarjuna seems to cover the whole of metaphysics aside from that.

At any rate, I would never have taken seriously the Buddhist claim to empirical knowledge of reality and started practicing had it not been for the overwhelming metaphysical argument. Knowing metaphysics well I converted to Buddhism thirty seconds after hearing about it. According to logic, (well okay, according to my logic) the doctrine simply has to be essentially true.

Perhaps a division can be made between theoretical and experimental Buddhism, as in physics. Most people theorise about the results of their experiments, however, so it's unlikely anyone would fall neatly into one or the other category. Maybe we need less categories and not more.