Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

first meditation experiance.

This morning, I awoke, and instantly decided today I would try to meditate.

After the kids left for school, and the wife was at work I recited, for the first time the refuge vows, and sat, back straight, palms facing up. This position felt really uncomfortable straight away, as I do not sit straight, I’m a sloucher, so I laid in my bed, and placed one hand on top of the other, palms facing my up towards my head.

I choice before hand my go to place would be the oceanfront, as I love it there. I focused my breathing in this manner: Breath in, pulling the waves towards me, breath out, waves moving outwards: Basically tide in, tide out, the rhythm of the water was my breathing. Every time my wondered I’d pull myself back to the beach, and start again breathing with the ocean. I helped my concentration by having a silent wave audio playing softly in the background. I di not burn incense as I am an odd person, and only certain incense doesn’t make me want to cough my lungs up, and the ones I can handle I don’t have in the house.

I did not want to overdo, or push myself, so I had set the timer for 3 minutes that went by so quickly it was unreal, but I will stick to 3 minutes for a week and increase the time slowly, until there is no need for time. Upon coming downstairs, everything was different. It was quiet; the world didn’t seem so fast.

So just a couple of questions right now on this:

Firstly do you think this method I am using is a good one, would you tweak it in anyway? I myself was rather happy with how it went. Secondly, is laying down, ok? Or is sitting really advised? I tried sitting in the typical “meditation” position. Legs crossed, straight back, arms folder with hands in my lap with palms facing up, but it felt really uncomfortable sitting straight like that, and I am curious, if it is just practice, for your body to become comfy in that position, how on earth do you relax and meditate during this time, if the un-comfortableness of the position makes it so hard to block it out.

Thank you, I look forward to another day today :)

Me

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Sounds like a great start. I meditate sitting in a chair (hard chair, don't use the backrest). I am also a sloucher, but have found that improving outside of meditation since I started (as well as within my meditation). Keep us posted on your progress. I'm sure others here will chime in with other suggestions. The only wrong way to approach the path is not to start.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Well done. Being a Westerner, and middle aged, I had problems sitting cross legged; though most people just say sit in a chair, keep your back straight, and chin slightly tucked in.

Several months ago though, I did start my meditation cross legged; for about five minutes at a time, and over the weeks it became more comfortable; and now it's comfortable for about half-an-hour.

Keep experimenting and playing with your meditation till you find a system that suits you; and I find it helpful to read stuff and listen to dharma talks about meditation; it helps with my faith that it works and motivation.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2012
    yeah sound like a great experience.

As you learn about meditation techniques and practice your meditation will change, for now i'd say just don't worry too much about posture, just sit in a comfortable position.

I don't think you have much chance of falling asleep in a 3 minutes sessions but when you try longer sessions, you might want to sit down instead of laying to avoid falling asleep.

below is a great series to introduce you to one of the main technique for Buddhist meditation

• ZeroZero Veteran

Firstly do you think this method I am using is a good one, would you tweak it in anyway? I myself was rather happy with how it went.

Secondly, is laying down, ok? Or is sitting really advised?
    First - Your second sentence answers your question.

Second - whatever suits you best - there are so many ways - explore each and find ones that work for you - resistance from your body is not abnormal - it takes time and conditioning to do anything new - with patience, eventually, uncomfortable becomes natural and comfortable - take it slow - do what works for you.
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks everyone!

As always you are all so very helpful! When one comes to Buddhism, is it normal to feel so much more awake, I mean the more i learn and read, and just after my second very small meditation season (just now), everything seems so much stiller. I went out and sat in the back yard as it nice today (although snow forecast for tomorrow), and I instantly started listening to the birds on the roof singing, ten minutes when past, and only then did i noticed the whole time there were builders erecting a house behind me and make a lot of construction noise, maybe 20 foot away, and their noise didn't even register at first.

Never felt so at home, so quickly, in any faith/religion/philosophy.

so humbling.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Please elaborate on "legs crossed"? If it's the typical American "Indian Style"/"Legs crossed, applesauce" then it's actually not very good for you. It could be uncomfortable because of the pressure on the legs.

This website illustrates some common meditation positions

But if it's the popular "half lotus" position, then it will probably just take some getting used to. Just make sure your hips are aligned properly.

I myself, sit in the Burmese position with a meditation pillow (zafu). Although the pillow is not necessary, it really does make it way more comfortable. I bought mine on amazon.com, but if you or your wife is crafty, you can also make them.

And a little food for thought... since you're a sloucher, the muscles activated during "proper straight posture" will be weak. Over time, as you meditate with proper posture, in a sense, you will be working these muscles out. Eventually proper posture will become easier and easier as your muscles become more balanced. (Typically, the muscles on the front are too tight and pull the muscles of the back which are overstretched.) Proper balance also helps to alleviate pain.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    When one comes to Buddhism, is it normal to feel so much more awake
    Feeling elation at a succeful new venture is normal - the feeling will develop - imagine your first day at work - everything is so new, finding the toilet is an adventure, everyone says Hi, the future is ahead, big smiles... after a year everything is familiar, mostly walking in autopilot, nods and smiles, its easy to lose the big smile.

Enjoy the journey - its a lovely phase youre in. :)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Never felt so at home, so quickly, in any faith/religion/philosophy.
    Be patient and determined.

Don't give up.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

is laying down, ok? Or is sitting really advised? I tried sitting in the typical “meditation” position. Legs crossed, straight back, arms folder with hands in my lap with palms facing up, but it felt really uncomfortable sitting straight like that, and I am curious, if it is just practice, for your body to become comfy in that position, how on earth do you relax and meditate during this time, if the un-comfortableness of the position makes it so hard to block it out.

I'd recommend sitting - when you get to longer meditation sessions, you have a risk of taking a nap. It's good to get in the habit of sitting.

As for discomfort, I find putting a cushion under my butt helps a lot - it sort of helps balance my sitting position (weight is distributed more evenly in a triangle, as opposed to just on your butt) when I'm sitting "Burmese" style.

The only thing I'd change is sitting for longer amounts of time! :p

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Sitting up is better than laying down IMO. Once you get the proper sitting position situated and figured out, it becomes quite comfortable. So much so that you can even fall asleep sitting there. :D Sitting in the wrong position will always be uncomfortable