Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Book suggestions on the vegetarianism argument

Anybody recommend a book on the arguments for and against vegitarianism in Buddhism?

This is a topic/issue I would really like to try to understand.

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Download all the multiple-page threads we've had on the subject here, and you'll have a book. ;)

Go to Amazon and enter "Vegetarianism, Buddhism". Several books come up, two with Vegetarianism in the title. But they're both pro-vegetarianism. I know of no books that discuss, as we have on this forum, the fact that the Buddha allowed the eating of meat, and himself ate meat. I don't know of any books that present both sides of the argument. But if you look around the online booksellers, you might find something. Or you might find an article on the internet.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Anybody recommend a book on the arguments for and against vegitarianism in Buddhism?

This is a topic/issue I would really like to try to understand.
    There is no argument to be had...
    some Buddhists are vegetarian, others aren't.
    some are vegetarian also because their particular tradition recommends it, others still eat meat, in spite of their tradition not recommending it....
    What it boils down to - is personal choice, made after educated research.

There is no for or against, no right or wrong, no good or bad, other than those which you yourself may decide are for or against, right or wrong, good or bad, for you yourself, personally.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Thank you Federica!
  • Change the word from arguments to "opinions"
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    ^^ Despite the choice of words, the topic has been done to death on this forum. As Federica stated so well, it's up to the individual to decide.
  • Didn't know asking book recommendations was line crossing. Feel free to removed thread.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Yes, check out those two threads Dakini posted and see if that doesn't help. The vegetarian arguments here can get heated at times but are very informative on the subject. If those aren't enough google vegetarian and newbuddhist and you should be able to find more threads.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Didn't know asking book recommendations was line crossing. Feel free to removed thread.
    you haven't crossed any line, and we certainly don't delete threads on a whim.....

It's just that actually - there probably are NO books discussing what you cite...
    But if there's definitely one topic, more than any other, guaranteed to stimulate active and occasionally heated discussion - it's this one.
    without bragging, i basically gave you all the info you need, because ultimately, no matter what anyone says - or writes - the bottom-line choice truly is yours.

a bit like smoking really....

• ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Actually there are several book in this topic. Here are a very good collections in PDF format and free for download:

http://www.shabkar.org/vegetarianism/index.htm

Or

http://justbegood.net/Downloads.htm ( Buddhism and vegetarianism / compassion for animals section).

Blessings

• robotrobot Veteran
    I have a book from Shambala publications " Food of the Bodhisattvas, Buddhist teachings on abstaining from meat" by Shabkar
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    The problem is that there are no books that discuss the Buddha's own meat-eating, and his allowing of his monks to eat meat. Nor do they discuss the fact that lots of Asian Buddhists eat meat. The books only present one side of the coin, not the other.
    The problem is that there are no books that discuss the Buddha's own meat-eating, and his allowing of his monks to eat meat. Nor do they discuss the fact that lots of Asian Buddhists eat meat. The books only present one side of the coin, not the other.
    Do you really read some of that books or texts?
    Not all are pro-vegetarianism and mostly or all are not dogmatic, some really talk about what Buddha eat and why.

Please friends don,t make judgement so fast.

Blessings
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

Not all are pro-vegetarianism and mostly or all are not dogmatic, some really talk about what Buddha eat and why.
    Could you let us know which ones provide a balanced view? The ones I looked at were pro-vegetarian. Your description sounds interesting.

edited April 2012
    @Arthurbodhi, The OP specifically asked for written works on "For and against in vegetarianism."
    so I trust you are able to provide literature on the pro-meat angle, in Buddhism?
    The OP requires a view from both angles.....

edited April 2012

Could you let us know which ones provide a balanced view? The ones I looked at were pro-vegetarian. Your description sounds interesting.

@Arthurbodhi, The OP specifically asked for written works on "For and against in vegetarianism."
    so I trust you are able to provide literature on the pro-meat angle, in Buddhism?
    The OP requires a view from both angles.....

This books/texts in my opinion, provide a balanced view in the matter:

The Question of Vegetarianism and Diet in Pali Buddhism

&

Buddhism & Vegetarianism - By Ajahn Jagaro (Now disrobed)

The first one is pro-vegetarianism the second not.
    You can find both in the first link that I gave before.

Blessings.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I don't know of any books that talk about the specific pro and con arguments (although the poster above me appears to have some info), there are certainly books written by Buddhists that discuss their own opinions on the matter. Thich Nhat Hanh for example, advocates a vegetarian lifestyle.