Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kapala's & Yama's

FenixFenix Veteran
edited April 2012 in Arts & Writings
Have you ever hears of this? Kapala and Yama refer to decorated skulls. here have a look

www.boneroom.com/skulls/tibetanskulls.html

pretty neat, eh?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    This practice is extremely well-known and was standard in Tibetan Buddhism.
    It was an extremely graphic - yet basic - way of coming to terms with the brevity, fragility and impermanent state of life. What better way to demonstrate the impermanence of skandas and the human body? Here today, gone tomorrow.

I'm not so sure it's done now.....

And selling these religious relics for such exorbitant sums of money is blatant profiteering and extremely disrespectful.

in my opinion.
    though I guess that would be an attachment, right there.
  • In this case, I'm almost certain these are fakes made for the market. Even the website admits they don't appear to be old and beyond coming from China, they don't really know if they started in Tibet at all. That raises troubling questions about where the human skulls came from in the first place.

There are some interesting skull cap drinking cups in museums that definitely came from Tibet.
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    ye, I am entriqued by skulls and would like to own a human skull, but I agree with you that the website is at best dubious by any standards
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    They also make horns out of femur bones.