Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hitting a Meditation Wall

edited May 2012 in Meditation
I’ve been meditating twice a day, about 30 minutes in total, for three months now. The first couple of months were great, a certain space and peace settled in and now that I’m back in college, it’s gotten tougher. My mind is much more active now, there’s always crap to do, etc… (I’m older and live alone so there is no on-campus living distractions)

The biggest change is the inability to slow/keep-at-a-distance the racing mind. I’m having a harder time getting my focus on the breath and keeping it there; the thoughts have taken over the mind and I feel as if I’m in the ocean, fighting off large waves and as soon as I fight off one and get back to the breath, another comes. It’s more immediate than it used to be. In some fashion, I feel my practice has been hijacked by my thoughts. As well, mindfulness has slipped a bit and it might take half a day to think, “Sitting in chair, holding pen, breathing…”

What I think is happening is this – my mind knows it’s being told to take a back seat, it doesn’t want to focus on breath or body, and it’s rebelling because it knows that I’m trying to see thoughts, not follow them wherever they lead. As a result, the thoughts are stronger. When I was meditating a few years back, I vaguely remember hitting this same wall about 3 months in. The good news is, I know frustration is part of the journey so this time around, perseverance is taking over. Because of school, reading Buddhist books has fallen by the wayside and I’m wondering if that’s part of it. At the same time, I can’t always read Buddhist books and I’d like to have a few ready tools to help me snap back into this new, emerging reality of awareness of thought, not subservience to thought. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thank you…

Comments

• I wish I could help you dude, but I am in the same boat as you. I have been meditating for 3 years and hit many a wall. There are walls all over our paths, in time they break down and dissolve like everthing does, just keep a positive attitude and right effort. Also maybe research techniques and find a teacher :) metta Mr Tom Tom Bomadon
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    So are you getting lost in the thoughts more often? Or is it just that the thoughts are more forceful like you say a sea of waves?

If it is more dipping into the thoughts I don't know, but I would just keep on. If the thoughts are more energetic that could be agitation. If you fight the thoughts it will just become more energized and agitated thus maybe just let these strong waves 'be'.

Saying to yourself that you are doing something wrong will only make you more agitated or else even make you dull as opposed to agitation.

One antidote to agitation is to reflect how many people don't have the chance to meditate. And this is your choice and chance. If you believe in past lives think of all the lives you had where you did not have this chance. It's a big deal. And at the same time it's just sitting, no big deal.
  • I AM DOING SOMETHING VERY WRONG INDEED!! ศ?ฤษฯ"ฏ)ฒมม๋เโาษสฺฮฺแแ?ษ ฮแ ฺา??อ
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Concentration is like a muscle the more you use it the easier it gets. I'm not sure what your life was like outside of college but people seek a retreat or monastic lifestyle for a reason. The mind is calmer without all the things to do when involved with the world. Not to say you should give up your life and become a monk but just that a busier mind should be expected when your life is busier.

Think of it like resistance training, when on retreat the mental weights are less and its easier to accomplish your task. When your mind is involved with things its like training with weights on, it may be more difficult but with effort the results will probably be more secure.

Also what happens in meditation is that attention gets refined and can see subtler mental happenings. So at first there may be a noticable feeling of calm because you compare it to your previous mental state. Eventually this calmer mind becomes the norm and the feeling isn't as great but you aren't as subject to reactionary habits as before. You also become more aware of other things going on in the mind, so its not actually busier you're just more aware of what was going on all along. If you get some familiarity with regular meditation and you notice the calm feeling it brings going away, try not meditating for several days then go back to it, you'll probably feel the difference again. Its not that you are doing it better now, its that the base state of your mind is busier.
  • This is all helpful – thank you. My mind does feel busier but more, as if the thoughts require more attention (stronger) because of school, which is to be expected. I have an agitated mind anyway, yes, I’m a little anxious all the time and school, people, assignments, etc… have a tendency to make my brain feel like it’s just been plugged into a wall socket. Sometimes I forget or don’t let my mind unwind a bit and then I’m caught in the Indy 500 of thoughts, round and round, at the mercy of the thoughts’ force. Like a body after exercise, I need to keep remembering that the mind too needs time to calm down.

Since there is more “stuff” in the brain, the idea of concentration as a muscle to be strengthened is more applicable than ever. I like the idea of walls dissolving. Everything dissolves and when that wall of assumed “lack of progress” feels 50 feet tall, made of steel, I’ll keep at it. When I decided not to run from life anymore, I knew it wasn’t always going to be easy. Like Noah Levine once said, “Meditation is like plunging the toilet – all that crap has got to come up…”
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    The biggest change is the inability to slow/keep-at-a-distance the racing mind.
    @scottc1969 -- Try to revise your approach a little. Meditation is not about trying to fend something off or camouflage it or bury it or to get too holy by next Thursday. It is about learning to live the life that is right in front of your nose.

Of course you're busy in school. Of course you don't have a lot of time to run around thinking nifty Buddhist thoughts. Of course your mind is concerned with deadlines, personal relationships, cars that get flat tires and the rest of it. OK. You're human, not some zombie posing as a "Buddhist."

When you can, do some meditation. Five minutes, ten minutes, twenty minutes, an hour ... whatever you can manage. Stop sputtering about 'good' meditation and 'bad' meditation ... just sit down, erect your spine, shut up, sit still and focus your mind as best you may. If it's a mess ... well, it's just a mess. If it's glorious ... well, it's just glorious. The only rule to meditation I ever found that makes much sense is, "do it anyway."

We may all chat up a storm on an Internet bulletin board about one difficulty or another, one bright opening or another, one preferred way or another ... but none of that can hold a candle to even the messiest, most confused, least kindly 15 minutes of meditation itself. Something happens during meditation, but what it is is impossible to say.

Do it anyway.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Meditation is about calming the mind. I don't know how you approach that now, but since you say you are fighting the waves, I want to ask how you do this? You shouldn't go out and try to force the waves down, you wait until the sea gets calm. If until now you have used a more forced way, try changing the approach. Stilling the mind by force or will is possible, but won't have the results you are looking for in the long run. You have to let the mind settle by itself by seeing how thoughts are useless and letting them go, not trying to chase them out. Basically you think so much because you are attached to it.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Meditation is the whole
    Meditation is about calming the mind.
    Depends.. It is in some traditions.

In a "just sitting" tradition a calm mind is not preferred over a busy mind.. The unconditioned is the realization of all conditions "as such". That is peace not dependent on a calm or busy mind. It also why in the "just sitting" traditions there is always a harangue about just doing it, just doing the practice, regardless.

so meditation can be about calming the mind for some, not for others.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Ok, you're right. However, in this topic it is clear that this is the direction scot wants to go, so that's where my reply came from.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    ah. well I would be the last person to give advice in that regard.. :D
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    if you fight with your mind, you will never win.

so stop fighting.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2012
    @Sabre, the OP might be interested to hear of different approaches. Just sitting actually does stabilize the mind in any case. But it is an approach of shamata vipashana together rather than just a shamata meditation.

Just focusing on calm abiding can lead to this kind of suffering exactly as the OP describes and thus I would recomend just sitting. At least according to the course book I am studying from. Attachment to peace can be a kind of paradoxical suffering, the tension of wanting a state of mind other than the one we are having.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Actually my reply comes down to just sitting. But sitting with a certain direction, which is not a problem if you don't crave for it.
  • "Bad" mediation sessions are just as, if not more valuable than "good" meditation sessions. We learn something about ourselves every time we sit, no matter how we felt it went.

It sounds like you're coming-up against the hindrances. Compassion/loving kindness will dissolve all that. Mindful prostrations to the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha before practice will help generate a humble, grateful and compassionate mindset. Take a minute to generate feelings of compassion, start with applying compassion to yourself and spread outward to loved ones, friends, neutrals and eventually "enemies". No-one is inherently bad or evil, just misguided and ignorant/deluded. We all have the capacity for wrong-doing given certain conditions. Holding negativity towards others you hold negativity towards yourself, hold negativity towards yourself you hold negativity towards others. First you need to direct compassion towards yourself, without that you wont be able to generate genuine compassion for others. Don't give yourself a hard time. Smile, don't frown. It's okay to think or get lost in thought, no big issue. Check your posture for tensions in the shoulders etc., drop your shoulders. Body scan. Feel. Become aware of the body through sensation. Focus attention/mind at hara (lower abdomen, below navel) or nostrils/upper lip. If the mind wonders, no big deal just gently guide it back once you become aware.

This always works for me. If I forget to apply/generate feelings of loving kindness I suffer in my practice. I get frustrated, this feeds itself. I get agitated. Once you have calm abiding in metta, focusing on feelings of breath, bodily sensation will become a lot easier.

Also you said, "As well, mindfulness has slipped a bit and it might take half a day to think, “Sitting in chair, holding pen, breathing…” Feel sitting, feel holding pen, feel breathing. Come into contact with your senses, be aware of feeling and sensation.
  • The mind is like an ocean. Sometimes it's wiped up into huge waves and sometimes it's calm and smooth. Your desire is for the ocean to be calm and smooth all the time. Because that is not the case you are trying to force the ocean to be calm and peaceful. That does not work and leads to frustration because you think the mind just won't cooperate.

However, what you want to do is learn to ride the waves.

Try to separate the contents of your thoughts from the process of thinking them. Observe the waves without judgement, attachment, aversion, or any reaction. Rough seas or calm seas, it doesn't matter. There is just choiseless awareness of whatever arises. Also, realize that the contents of your thoughts, like all conditioned phenomena, are impermanent, unsatisfactory, and not you. These things will calm the ocean.

Keep on meditating.

Best Wishes

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    When you have greater mindfulness your concentration on the breathing will be single pointed. In order to develop deep concentration you need to be patient and be willing to sit, The mind takes time to settle down consider how long we spend outside of meditation each day and how many distracting conceptions we experience and so forth if you want to go deeper you must be willing to go longer and out wait the storm. Eventually the mind shall settle and delusions and distracting minds will arise less frequently and when they do we shall be able to pick up our object of concentration quickly again, If you go long enough they shall cease for the duration of your session and you shall experience single pointed concentration and this concentration will increase throughout your session and with it comes the bliss of concentration increasing more and more as your mind refines itself...You can see why people go on long meditation retreats the mind needs alot of polishing to make it shine.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The mind is like an ocean. Sometimes it's wiped up into huge waves and sometimes it's calm and smooth. Your desire is for the ocean to be calm and smooth all the time. Because that is not the case you are trying to force the ocean to be calm and peaceful. That does not work and leads to frustration because you think the mind just won't cooperate.

However, what you want to do is learn to ride the waves.

Try to separate the contents of your thoughts from the process of thinking them. Observe the waves without judgement, attachment, aversion, or any reaction. Rough seas or calm seas, it doesn't matter. There is just choiseless awareness of whatever arises. Also, realize that the contents of your thoughts, like all conditioned phenomena, are impermanent, unsatisfactory, and not you. These things will calm the ocean.

Keep on meditating.

Best Wishes

Thanks @SeaOfTranquility, that sounds great I like it and it helped me.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    meditation is not about doing/achieving something. meditation is only about letting go of whatever is there in the mind.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I’ve been meditating twice a day, about 30 minutes in total, for three months now.

It often takes 15-20 minutes before the mind begins to calm, so I'd suggest trying a 30-minute sit.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "Hitting a wall" is a good thing IMO. :) It's almost like the trainer at the gym coming over and putting heavier weights on on your bar because he noticed that the bar you are lifting is just too easy. It makes it harder yea, but he's actually helping you. Or think of it like this. You are a baseball player the the coach has noticed you have been doing well, batting against the slow pitcher, so he swapped out the slow pitcher with a faster pitcher. It makes it harder to hit the ball yea, but he's actually helping you.
  • I greatly appreciate all these responses. There is nothing wrong, despite my mind’s protestations. As far as I can tell, this is the hindrance of Doubt. From that alone, I can recognize this fact and proceed. I suppose the fear may be that thoughts will “take over,” tell me “this isn’t doubt, this is ‘real’ and this meditation is crap” and I’ll fall for it. But, from meditation practice alone, I’m beginning to understand that, no, I won’t fall for it. Or, more accurately, I have the choice. In the old reactive, thinking mind, I followed every thought forever, believing them all, which brought endless suffering.

When I (temporarily) forget that challenges on the path are challenges/growth/natural and not a failure of the path, I’m in old, habitual mind. Getting this fear off my chest, onto this board, and reading these responses has helped reset the pendulum enough for me to see – wow, I stepped right in it and succumbed to doubt without seeing the doubt. It’s a shifty little bastard which is exactly why it’s so powerful. And I can say, with confidence today, I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Just do, don't read.

Namaste.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Just do, don't read.
    Yeah, sometimes it's just that simple. The OP states he's "meditating twice a day, about 30 minutes in total." I'd say, sit a bit longer. Many people experience better results with a slightly longer session. There seems to be something about that 20 minute mark (per sitting) that really makes a difference. Not sure why, but it seems to.