Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where now? If anywhere

edited May 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Hi All,

I have a rather relaxed experience with Buddhism. I have taken a couple of Courses at my local(ish) Manchester Buddhism Centre (FWBO/Triratna), I've attended a Buddhist Temple which was also Local which was Dhammakaya which I found very Thai orientated and very orthodox.

I'm a little confused as to where next as the above two just didn't seem to suit me personally. I did enjoy the Medidation aspects which the Triratna taught. Time and Family do unfortunately get in the way and I found myself leaving these groups.

Local to me are other Groups in Manchester: Kagyu Ling (Tibetan), Samatha, SGI and more.

I do find Mahayana more accessible. Any thoughts? ideas? Do I need/want to join another Sangha are my own personal thoughts. But at the same time having guidance and a good teacher/resource is important to me.

Metta to you all.

David

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I think you are allowed to have your own personal thoughts. A good sangha will give you a lot of freedom, but of course if it's a x sangha they don't want you preaching a different y school of Buddhism. It's all in how you do it, whether you are consumed or just exploring.

So I would go with just having your unique perspective, working with a teacher, and meditating in togetherness. Don't join two sanghas, just one at a time. You can switch to a different teacher though if you have gotten all you could from the teaching.

Good luck.
    mmo
  • Thanks Jeffrey
    I should have explained that I went to the Triratna group around 5 years ago and The dhammakaya one year ago. I'm still very much a beginner and just trying to find the right place to further my knowledge.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Just visit the place you feel most comfortable. Or visit multiple places. You don't have to commit yourself. Also you don't have to follow one particular teacher, but can take inspiration from several.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Visit them all for several sessions each. Take your time.

What is it you feel you need a teacher's guidance for--the meditation? Samatha seems to emphasize meditation. SGI is Nichiren Buddhism, isn't it? Most people don't feel that one's a good fit. Mostly about saying the same mantra all day, and praying for good things to happen to you, manna from heaven. What are some of the other centers?
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Snoop around. Find a sangha you can agree with 85-90%. Then practice.

If you agree 100%, you're in the wrong place since there would be nothing to learn.
  • Oh thank you all for the comments. I do like the idea of snooping around them all to see which fits most. I'm not too hung up on meditation. I love mindfulness of breathing (im just a little out of practice), my main focus is what is taught e.g I see the same basic Buddhism being taught so far, but its where things spin off from there, suttras, Canons, Theravada or Mahayana. I find it a little confusing at times. so far I haven't found anything bad in the groups, I just want to find the right fit. snooping seems like a good idea as I'm quite lucky living near Manchester,UK there seems a lot to choose from group wise
  • I too started at the Manchester Buddhist centre but after a trip to Kagyu Samye Ling Monastery in Eskdalemuir Scotland I found my answer .

• CittaCitta Veteran

Explore..but not for too long. A life really is short.

Earthninja
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Pursue what appeals to your deepest desire for liberation until something else comes along, and then pursue that too. Keep on pursuing, that is what the Buddha did, without the benefit of pre-existing 'sanctioned' or traditional Buddhist trappings. You may find yourself running in space like Wile E. Coyote, the road gone and what is pursued rather disappeared too :D . Go deep rather than wide, and remember it's not where you end up that matters, it's where you are :) .

lobsterMeisterBob
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2014

Go deep rather than wide

The thing is this. We have to go inside. Not inside a temple, tradition or technique. All may help, inspire, guide etc. We have to work at liberation. Eventually it becomes easy. Everybody knows this. This is an old thread but the advice will always be. Go practice. Go to the group that helps you. Commit. Practice. Don't pretend you can get away with 'lax Buddhism' . . .

:wave: .

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited June 2014

To emphasise the previous point - unmindful is a synonym for lax, and an unmindful buddhist is an oxymoron which some may even abbreviate it to moron (which in the beginning of the last century was adopted as a medical term meaning - foolish). A fool has a place in society though - they direct you to look at your own foolish antics, if you are to be conscious of how you appear. So to come full circle (and jump 'slap' back into the OP) - where was I?

... \ lol / ...

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Has anyone noticed how old the OP is? I wonder if @rapidx still cares about answers?

• EugeneEugene Explorer

Hi, all. Just an FYI re: Nichiren Buddhism. It's not really about "saying the same mantra all day, praying for good things to happen to you, manna from heaven." In fact, I was going to post this article here, given by a priest of the Nichiren Shu order, at the Berkeley Zen Center, where he was invited. It's very illuminating, even inspiring; at least it was to me. Really, check it out; it's a good read. There are other articles here, but scroll the the bottom of the page for a great discussion of Zen and Nichiren. Really articulate:

http://nichirenscoffeehouse.net/Ryuei/lotus_sutra.html

• EugeneEugene Explorer

P.S. It's huge. Just click on any part … it's all good.