Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Qualifications for being Buddhist

I've been thinking about the Buddha's quote of "Believe nothing...unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense,” and realized that I don't believe every aspect of Buddhism. I know people have expressed the idea of not believing in reincarnation, but I would take it a step further and say that I don't know if I believe in enlightenment. I've read that I should weigh every idea against my own personal experience and not accept something just because it's popular or a neat idea, but the more I do that the more I feel I am stripping down Buddhism to a personal philosophy that fits me but is not what is commonly practiced. I believe in the benefits of a spiritual life through the methods of Buddhism, and I believe that the Buddha was a regular human being just like we are, but beyond that it feels a bit metaphysical to me. The rebirth, and Nirvana, the Cosmic Mudra, Chakras and the inner vibrations of the body, all of these seem alien and take a step outside what my mind can understand/wants to accept right now.

Am I allowed to do this, to keep what is useful and makes sense to me and disregard those aspects that don't resonate with me? Am I not "Buddhist" if I do?

Comments

• I feel buddhism is just a label for the process of coming to the understanding that we have a control and responsibility for our own lives and actions. It's all about the choices we make and knowing that these choices will have an impact not only to ourselves but to others associated with us. After all, was there a Buddhist faith when a young prince left his palace in search of the truth?
  • I'm just used to religions being concrete things that give you rules you can't be selective about. Christian's have to believe in a God, that's just one of the rules (a big one, too). There are requirements for belief.

I just found this quote that kind of sums up what I'm feeling.

"But if there is no other world and there is no fruit and ripening of actions well done or ill, then here and now in this life I shall be free from hostility, affliction, and anxiety, and I shall live happily." - Buddha

Maybe he was one step ahead of me and thought this through :)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Whoever doesn't have his Enlightenment degree is not a real Buddhist!

By the way, you also have to know the secret handshake and password to join the club. :vimp: Do you already have your membership card?

Ok.. enough joking around.. hope you get the point. :p

Metta!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2012
    There are no qualifications required for being a Buddhist, but you have to understand that while the Buddha expects you to have an enquiring and curious mind, you should also understand that the kalama sutta is a bit more complex than your opening quotation....
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    First, don't let anyone else tell you that you are or are not a Buddhist.

Second, pay attention to the "collective wisdom" on this site, but don't obsess over what any one individual says here. After a while on this site you begin to get a better view of the individuals who post here. It's a pretty nice bunch of people, but we all have our flaws, and some of those individuals who can talk a pretty good game also have lives that are far from settled. And I include myself with any criticism...as well as the moderators. All well meaning, but few have it all mapped out, even those who think they do.

Third, I don't much care which religion a person identifies with, but believing in every thing any religion says does nothing more -- in my view -- than prove someone will swallow something hook, line, and sinker (as my grandfather used to say). Listen to others, consider their views, but think for yourself.

Fourth -- and here is an aspect of this that I have greatly evolved in -- think about whether you see Buddhism as a religion or a philosophy. That decision alone will go a long way toward determining how you interact with Buddhism.
  • DharmakaraDharmakara Veteran
    edited May 2012
    First, no one can walk the path for you.
    Second, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
    Third, don't label yourself nor allow anyone else to.
    Forth, it's your practice and no one elses.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    In order to be a Buddhist you need to take refuge.
    edited May 2012
    Take refuge in the Dharma --- be an island unto yourself, a refuge between two waters.

Take refuge in the Dharma --- be an island unto yourself, a refuge between two waters.

3 Jewels Venerable, 3 Jewels :)

• 3 Jewels Venerable, 3 Jewels :)
    You forgot to mention the "guru" or was that deliberate? :)

Atta Dipa
    Viharatha
    Atta Sharana
    Ananna Sharana

Dhamma Dipa
    Dhamma Sharana
    Ananna Sharana

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    It actually took me some years before I accepted the Buddhist label.

There's nothing wrong with not believing in enlightenment but then Buddha would not have been enlightened. I believe both H.H. The Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hang are awakened beings but they are both so different.

That's just me though. Sometimes I talk a good talk but on many levels my walk needs some work.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    It actually took me some years before I accepted the Buddhist label.

There's nothing wrong with not believing in enlightenment but then Buddha would not have been enlightened. I believe both H.H. The Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hang are awakened beings but they are both so different.

That's just me though. Sometimes I talk a good talk but on many levels my walk needs some work.
  • I've battled with that as well, whether or not to take on the label of "Buddhist." Calling yourself something doesn't make you into it, and I believe it can be a hindrance. I just feel like I need a title to tell others when they find out I don't believe in the same thing they do. I think that's the issue for me, I feel like I need my spiritual practice to become part of my identity. Perhaps I should finally read Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism.
    edited May 2012
    The terms "Buddhist" and "Buddhism" are a Western invention, something that actually came into existence in the early part of the 19th century (c.1810-1830) --- personally, I prefer the term "Dharmist" because it seems more fitting when it comes to my own practice.

When it comes making your spiritual practice part of your identity, just make sure it doesn't become a false identity or false-self.
    3 Jewels Venerable, 3 Jewels :)
    You forgot to mention the "guru" or was that deliberate? :)

Atta Dipa
    Viharatha
    Atta Sharana
    Ananna Sharana

Dhamma Dipa
    Dhamma Sharana
    Ananna Sharana

Only if your in the Vajrayana :)
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited May 2012
    On the Buddhist Foundation Course, Geshi Tashi Tsering teaches that there are two ways that people use to define themselves as a Buddhist:

These two ways are the following:

1. To take refuge in the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha.

2. To hold the Four Seals.

Geshi Tashi seems to place emphasis on No 2, since they underpin all Buddhist thought.

The Four Seals:
    http://www.shambhalasun.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1814

I can quote his books, but please don't make me dig through them! :D

But seriously, could I call myself a Buddhist if I believed in Jesus as my personal savoir and thought the Four Seals were a bunch of bunkum?

I guess there has to be some conventional definition of what a Buddhist is, otherwise it's gonna get confusing for someone new to Buddhism. And before anyone starts, yes Buddhists do use conventional means to understand ultimate truths.

And yes, the Buddha wasn't a 'Buddhist', but he would've held the Four Seals.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I've been thinking about the Buddha's quote of "Believe nothing...unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense,” and realized that I don't believe every aspect of Buddhism. I know people have expressed the idea of not believing in reincarnation, but I would take it a step further and say that I don't know if I believe in enlightenment. I've read that I should weigh every idea against my own personal experience and not accept something just because it's popular or a neat idea, but the more I do that the more I feel I am stripping down Buddhism to a personal philosophy that fits me but is not what is commonly practiced. I believe in the benefits of a spiritual life through the methods of Buddhism, and I believe that the Buddha was a regular human being just like we are, but beyond that it feels a bit metaphysical to me. The rebirth, and Nirvana, the Cosmic Mudra, Chakras and the inner vibrations of the body, all of these seem alien and take a step outside what my mind can understand/wants to accept right now.

Am I allowed to do this, to keep what is useful and makes sense to me and disregard those aspects that don't resonate with me? Am I not "Buddhist" if I do?
    Hi intothedreaming. You will find a lot of material not on your wavelength but don't be discouraged. In Tibetan Buddhism there are three motivations: have a happy life, escape desire entirely and forever, and help all beings no matter what the cost.
  • Caz, the NKT doesn't include the root Guru in its refuge?
    edited May 2012
    @everyone: Unless I'm mistaken, the OP made it quite clear that there were aspects of the Buddhist tradition he has problems accepting --- would not taking refuge in the Triple Gem become nothing more than lip service or is institutionalized Buddhism more concerned about preserving ritualism over expedient means?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Dharmakara, what do you mean with the connection between 'institutionalized' which is a VERY loaded word, and ritualism? That sounds sectarian to me! Yikes!
    edited May 2012
    Sorry, but it has nothing to do with sectarianism. Re-read what I posted and try again :)

There are three ways of attaining Bodhi or Enlightenment according to the ability and capacity of each individual: namely, as a Sravaka (disciple), as a Pratyekabuddha (Individual Buddha) and as a Samyaksambuddha (Perfectly and Fully Enlightened Buddha).

For example, would someone on the path of a Pratyekabuddha be the slightest bit interested in Buddhism as an instititution?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Dharmakara, your middle paragraph is the Theravadan interpretation. Rather emphasis as the mahayana does not overturn the Pali Canon. I apologize for misreading I think I was picking up wrong vibes. Thank you for the compassion in clarifying. I'm not lying with that statement, the second sentence indicates that I was projecting my own faults.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Third sentence. I edited. Anyhow I apologize.
    edited May 2012
    No problem, there's nothing to apologize for --- sometimes I forget the fact that people aren't mind readers and won't always know where I'm coming from.

Actually, the middle paragraph is from "The Basic Points Uniting the Theravada and Mahayana", a document endorsed by the World Buddhist Sangha Council (WBSC) --- although it was composed by a monk of the Theravada tradition, it was ratified by members from both traditions:

http://www.mahabodhi.net/points.htm

• JohnGJohnG Veteran
    One of the greatest problems of being human; we have to have a label for everything, or it doesn't exist. Does being anything, mean we have to accept everything with a label? Can one take what one needs to be happy, have to accept totality in that specific thing or idea? Suzuki (sp?) mentioned that if yoy cannot find happiness in a specific, then take what you need, as long as you learn and find enlightenment. ;)
    edited May 2012
    Sadhu! Well spoken.
  • if i call myself a christian, but i dont believe jesus died for my sins,
    or i will go to heaven after i die. what kind of christian am i?
    edited May 2012
    if i call myself a christian, but i dont believe jesus died for my sins,
    An independent Christian who thinks for himself?

• ToshTosh Veteran
    A Gnostic Christian maybe?

:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism#Christianity_and_Gnosticism
    Caz, the NKT doesn't include the root Guru in its refuge?
    Only if one has a HYT empowerment, At a general level its just the 3 jewels.
    edited May 2012
    A Liberal Episcopalian... possibly Bishop John Spong himself? ROFL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Shelby_Spong

• Only if one has a HYT empowerment, At a general level its just the 3 jewels.
    Thanks for the info --- I wasn't aware of that.

• Remember that we evolve & fluctuate. We learn & grow. We change.

I thought my Dad was too strict, & I hated always having to be home for dinner right at 5pm. Didn't understand why it absolutely had to be at the kitchen table either...

Now, having my own child, I get it.

But I had to be here on my path to understand.

...and now I catch myself repeating my parents' lines... :grumble:
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Intothedreaming's quote...

Allowed..Yes. There is no one Buddhist abitrator to dissallow it just as there is no Buddhist saviour to absolve you of the karmic consequence of your following it or not.
    Welcome to the nitty gritty of spiritual adulthood.
    Since my path is through meditation, I try to leave the issue of what I might keep & disregard of Buddhist theory up to my meditation. What ever I have read or studied remains on file and appears when relevent without my active need to keep or disregard it.

What ever path you choose should be able to do the same for you.

See if your path shows who, why, when, where or what cares if you are a Buddhist or not.

Let us in on what you find.

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Too many labels and judgements there for me to formulate much of an answer, though I can see what you are getting at hermitwith.
    As with the label Buddhist, there is more to being a christian than belief and recitations of beliefs.
    Maybe as has been suggested, you think outside a narrow square, and that you can identify with the message of christianity and it's aim? especially if you lived in a predominately christian society??

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Not necessarily. In some minds, in some traditions, perhaps, but it's not a hard-line pre-requisite.

^ And probably not necessary if you look at Buddhism more as a philosophy than a religion.
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran
    As I perceive it to be, the only "Requirement", if you choose o call it that is to take action. Having faith is no more nor less than being willing to take that step which constitutes the beginning of the practice of Buddhism. As you develop your practice and your faith, you become able to "take refuge in the Dharma" and "become an island unto yourself". But never forget to respect yourself and others nor that you are interdependent with your environment and the people you come in contact with.
    By the way - deep six the Western concept of religion, you will only mess yourself up if you don't.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

Of course you're "allowed." It's not like the Buddhist police will come to your house in the middle of the night!

@intothedreaming - Perhaps you could elaborate as to why you "don't believe" in enlightenment? What are these "benefits of a spiritual life through Buddhism" that you're referring to? It would help us understand your position more.

I personally feel that the Buddha's little speech in the Kalama Sutta was sort of cheeky - he was saying all that stuff about how one shouldn't believe something until they feel it's right for them through experience, yes? Well, perhaps he was slyly suggesting that his philosophy and spiritual practice should be the flawless one that everyone would find agreeable, unlike the other religions being practiced at the time that were based more on ritual/tradition/superstition.

As for "believing every aspect of Buddhism," there are a lot of different schools of Buddhism that teach a lot of different things. Chakras/body vibrations aren't really emphasized (at least not to my knowledge) in Theravada or Zen. Nirvana and rebirth have varying interpretations depending on the sect you're talking about. There are also more modernist interpretations of many aspects/suttas of Buddhism that could be interpreted as supernatural/superstitious/metaphysical.

Basically, I'd probably investigate a little bit more and practice more before discarding anything. You never know when it might start to make sense.
    Not necessarily. In some minds, in some traditions, perhaps, but it's not a hard-line pre-requisite.

Nope its the general thing even with Theravada one doesn't enter the path till they take refuge.
  • It is more about making a personal decision and actually acting to take refuge rather than attending a specific ceremony and/or saying certain words though, isn't it?
    I still recall my ceremony and the vow spoken as marking an important commitment and the occasion does have great significance for me, however, in the same way I remember my wedding day.
    edited May 2012
    Nope its the general thing even with Theravada one doesn't enter the path till they take refuge.
    an excerpt from "DK's Guide to Buddhism A to Z":

The Great Parrot of Buddhism (Pali: mahasuva; Skt.: mahacuka) -- better known for its thoughtless or distractive chatter, mimicker of jaberwocky, incapable of mustering an original thought if its life depended upon it.

Also, favorite pet of Dhammajocks (-jockettes) and Sacred Pathers, those who speak a good game regardless of sect, but have nothing to show for it, taking refuge in that which is external, only to fail to embrace the Dharma, failing to become an embodiment of the Dharma.

"Buddhist want a cracker?"

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

It depends what you mean by "taking refuge". For me it's a matter of personal commitment rather than performing a ceremony with this or that tradition. I've been chanting the refuges every day for years, but that's just me.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Am I allowed to do this, to keep what is useful and makes sense to me and disregard those aspects that don't resonate with me?
    Yes, of course. For me being "Buddhist" is about practice, for example meditating, trying to be mindful and keeping the precepts.
    an excerpt from "DK's Guide to Buddhism A to Z":

The Great Parrot of Buddhism (Pali: mahasuva; Skt.: mahacuka) -- better known for its thoughtless or distractive chatter, mimicker of jaberwocky, incapable of mustering an original thought if its life depended upon it.

Also, favorite pet of Dhammajocks (-jockettes) and Sacred Pathers, those who speak a good game regardless of sect, but have nothing to show for it, taking refuge in that which is external, only to fail to embrace the Dharma, failing to become an embodiment of the Dharma.

"Buddhist want a cracker?"

LOL you've not lost your sense of humor I see :)

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Here are the ten incontrovertible qualifications for really being a real Buddhist really:

1. Adopt a wise and wizened demeanor -- someplace between George Clooney and Mahatma Gandhi.

2. Memorize the 108 holiest and most convoluted of all possible paradoxes. Dispense as necessary.

3. Clothes ... don't forget the clothes!

4. Walk slowly as if permeated with some weighty liquid.

5. If you're a lay person, yearn for ordination. If you're an ordained person, yearn for laicization.

6. Chant softly but audibly in public rest rooms.

7. If you visit a temple or monastery, make sure to bring home some small tourist treasure to indicate you visited. Hang it prominently, but with humble discretion, in your living room...next to all those books, perhaps.

8. Offer a small, carefully-crafted smile when someone tells you a first-class joke.

9. If someone asks you if you are a Buddhist, consider the question in a dour and somewhat quizzical silence.

10. Treat all beings with equanimity and kindness ... right up until the moment when you can't stand it any more and simply kick the cat. Repent as necessary.

And if all of this strikes you as utterly ludicrous, find a Buddhist practice, practice it and never mind who's a Buddhist and who's not.

Everyone suffers ... nuff said.
    Especially the cat, it would seem.
  • if i call myself a christian, but i dont believe jesus died for my sins,
    A Gnostic Christian maybe?

:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism#Christianity_and_Gnosticism
    A Christian mystic maybe?

Meister Eckhart
  • As I perceive it to be, the only "Requirement", if you choose o call it that is to take action. Having faith is no more nor less than being willing to take that step which constitutes the beginning of the practice of Buddhism. As you develop your practice and your faith, you become able to "take refuge in the Dharma" and "become an island unto yourself". But never forget to respect yourself and others nor that you are interdependent with your environment and the people you come in contact with.

:vimp:
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2012

And if all of this strikes you as utterly ludicrous, find a Buddhist practice, practice it and never mind who's a Buddhist and who's not.

Everyone suffers ... nuff said.
    I like that.

Ta.

I remember going to a Buddhist monastery where a 'nun' from another tradition was talking all soft and slllooooowwww and callllmmm and swweeett and well my teacher is not really into that stuff, so I reckon we were mostly natural and normal and stuff.

Then suddenly, after hearing (misunderstanding) my teacher would not be in attendance in that retreat, she yelled (screeched) "WHAT! What do you mean he will not be here?" And we said, no he is here.

To which she recoiled back into her sweet uniform.

Personally I thought that was odd. I prefer the natural Buddhist student approach ma'self...