Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Breivik used meditation to kill

DharmakaraDharmakara Veteran
edited May 2012 in General Banter
Meditation makes you calmer and clearer and encourages empathy and kindness … right? Not if you are Anders Behring Breivik who has told psychiatrists that he used meditation to "numb the full spectrum of human emotion – happiness to sorrow, despair, hopelessness, and fear". He still practises it behind bars to deaden the impact of his actions.

Breivik uses meditation as a form of mind control – a way to focus the mind and exclude responses that get in his way. You could argue that he is meditating wrongly, but I think his testimony shows that the effect of any practice, meditation included, depends on the ends to which it is recruited. Breivik's aims were determined by his racist beliefs and meditation didn't challenge them.

>> read more

Anders Behring Breivik used meditation to kill – he's not the first
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2012/may/22/anders-behring-breivik-meditation?newsfeed=true

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    It is a tool.
    What one uses it for it up to them.

Buddhism is not Buddhism until one vows to abstain from harm.

Sigh, may these beings awaken to their true nature.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I've been told (so I don't know how true this is) that Japanese soldiers used Buddhist philosophy - a wrong view of it - to make killing easier. If people are empty of inherent existence, they don't really exist anyway, right?

Wrong!

But as I say, this is just hearsay; I don't know how true or how far reaching this view was held.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Ah, I've just started reading the article and it's mentioned!!!
  • Buddhism is not Buddhism until one vows to abstain from harm.
    One would think, but this has never stopped Buddhist countries from going to war, even against other Buddhists, from King Ashoka wiping the Ari off the face of the Earth because they had a different Buddhist doctrine to the previous Dalai Lama (the 13th) sending armies into Bhutan to stop a revolt against his authority.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Men do very stupid things under the guise of religion.
  • Buddhism and meditation are not mutually exclusive.
  • True, but there are Buddhist practitioners who view meditation as a means to an end in and of itself --- some of the more colorful vipassana movements are an example of this.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I've been told (so I don't know how true this is) that Japanese soldiers used Buddhist philosophy - a wrong view of it - to make killing easier. If people are empty of inherent existence, they don't really exist anyway, right?

Wrong!

But as I say, this is just hearsay; I don't know how true or how far reaching this view was held.
    ZEN AT WAR

APOLOGY FOR MILITARISTIC VIEWS OF WWII
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Emptiness excuses usually come up whenever a Buddhist teacher is engaging in misconduct.

He is beyond relative morality, he "dwells in the absolute", etc.

There is a risk in practice of negating all conventional moral compass points, and no longer knowing right from wrong. It can even wipe out empathy. It is very scary.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Buddhism is not Buddhism until one vows to abstain from harm.
    One would think, but this has never stopped Buddhist countries from going to war, even against other Buddhists, from King Ashoka wiping the Ari off the face of the Earth because they had a different Buddhist doctrine to the previous Dalai Lama (the 13th) sending armies into Bhutan to stop a revolt against his authority.

Yeah, it really annoys me when people are all "OMG BUDDIZM IS TEH BEST CUZ THEY NEVER MADE WAR NOT LIKE XTIANS AND MUSLMS LOL." It's so naive.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    Emptiness excuses usually come up whenever a Buddhist teacher is engaging in misconduct.

He is beyond relative morality, he "dwells in the absolute", etc.

There is a risk in practice of negating all conventional moral compass points, and no longer knowing right from wrong. It can even wipe out empathy. It is very scary.
    This is why compassion is so important. Furthermore, until we learn how to correctly employee compassion, we start with a moral code that has compassion built in.

Meditation is not buddhism, and buddhism is not meditation. Meditation is only a part of buddhism.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    I thought he used a machinegun..
  • Good thread.

This is why Buddhism is important IMO.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    No Breivik did not use meditation to kill. He used his hands and hatred. He can claim anything he wants, but self delusion runs deep in that man's mind. The bad title tells me this is a slanted article.

And the Japanese people who actually fought in the war were not emotionless and detached, no matter what the Priests tried to claim. They were terrified, angry, furious, and human nature tells me not a one of them was in a zen meditative, calm, detached mind when they ran screaming at the enemy. The entire zen samorai myth turns out to be exactly that: a myth that is as accurate as our American cowboy gunslinger shooting it out at high noon.

• DharmakaraDharmakara Veteran
    edited May 2012
    As a matter of record, many members of armed special forces have undertaken meditation as a means to strengthen their concentration, to stay focused on their target. With that said, meditation is a tool --- it doesn't pull the trigger, so to speak, but it can be used for self-serving purposes, even sexual orgasm.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    The Tibetan word for meditation is gom, it means to familiarize. So in a way when we harbor hatred, jealousy or some other negative emotion we are familiarizing ourselves with those ways of being.

Also there is way more than one type of meditation. What most people think of when they hear the word is samatha meditation, or calm abiding. Meditation is a just tool that Buddhism uses to help shape or clear the mind into a more skillful state.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Meditation makes you calmer and clearer and encourages empathy and kindness … right? Not if you are Anders Behring Breivik who has told psychiatrists that he used meditation to "numb the full spectrum of human emotion – happiness to sorrow, despair, hopelessness, and fear". He still practises it behind bars to deaden the impact of his actions.

Breivik uses meditation as a form of mind control – a way to focus the mind and exclude responses that get in his way. You could argue that he is meditating wrongly, but I think his testimony shows that the effect of any practice, meditation included, depends on the ends to which it is recruited. Breivik's aims were determined by his racist beliefs and meditation didn't challenge them.

>> read more

Anders Behring Breivik used meditation to kill – he's not the first
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2012/may/22/anders-behring-breivik-meditation?newsfeed=true
    He didn't use it to "numb" fear, anger and hatred did he? One has to start off with right view. Or else it is easy to walk down a wrong path!

edited May 2012
    According to the article, that is what he's claiming.

If any one doubts the ability of certain forms of meditation to do this, they might wish to consider the recent episodes of self-immolation that have occured in Tibet --- it's a horrorfying way to spend your last few minutes and those who do survive such things, well I wouldn't wish it on any one, even a loved one who I thought I couldn't survive without.

• Forgot to mention something --- personally, I belive this person's a sociopath and criminal profilers have long stated that sociopaths have no qualms with right or wrong, that they're incapable of perceiving such a distinction in the first place.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    interesting thread. But like many others have mentioned...It's one tool of many.
  • kamikaze pilots used Zen.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    kamikaze pilots used Zen.
    So did the samurai.
  • SileSile Veteran
    Meditation is not Buddhism, any more than bronze bells are Buddhism. Buddhism does make use of both, though. However, Buddhism doesn't tell you to clonk your sister over the head with a bronze bell, nor to kill anyone with meditation. Neither of these two questionable activities have anything whatsoever to do with Buddhism.
    edited May 2012
    Good morning, Sile. I don't believe anyone is saying that meditation is Buddhism, but examining the ways in which meditation can be used that would or could be deemed inappropriate.

We're talking about the "tool", not Buddhism per se.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Breivik didn't use meditation to kill, he used a deluded mind, a car bomb, a Ruger Carbine and a Glock pistol.

edited May 2012
    Let's get the issue straight, what's actually being discussed is his claim to have used imeditation to sharpen his skill at killing. As I stated earlier, meditation didn't pull the trigger.
  • SileSile Veteran
    My problem is the article's slam on Zen/Mahayana (whether purposeful, or due to the author's misunderstanding).

Zen's non-duality did not and does not obscure Buddhism's ethical teachings; however, people's mistaken view of non-duality may.
    We're talking about the "tool", not Buddhism per se.
    "Meditation", like "God" seems to have so many meanings. ;)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    As a matter of record, many members of armed special forces have undertaken meditation as a means to strengthen their concentration, to stay focused on their target. With that said, meditation is a tool --- it doesn't pull the trigger, so to speak, but it can be used for self-serving purposes, even sexual orgasm.
    IMO, that is why the Buddha made his path include "right concentration" and "right mindfulness" because there is such a thing as "wrong concentration" and "wrong mindfulness"

:)
    IMO, that is why the Buddha made his path include "right concentration" and "right mindfulness" because there is such a thing as "wrong concentration" and "wrong mindfulness"
    I'm trying to work out now how right concentration is different from wrong concentration.;)
    In the suttas right concentration is often defined in terms of the four jhanas, but there's probably other ways to think about it?
    edited May 2012
    My problem is the article's slam on Zen/Mahayana (whether purposeful, or due to the author's misunderstanding).

Zen's non-duality did not and does not obscure Buddhism's ethical teachings; however, people's mistaken view of non-duality may.
    Funny statement considering the number of ethical scandals its members are involved in at any other given time --- it may not be directly related to any particular aspect of non-duality, but something in the water :)

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2012

@porpoise quote
    I'm trying to work out now how right concentration is different from wrong concentration.;)
    In the suttas right concentration is often defined in terms of the four jhanas, but there's probably other ways to think about it?

From my zafu, the right or wrong of any of those 8 steps is most easily defined as does it lead towards the cessation of suffering or not. Watching if the process softens or solidifies my identity or ego simplifies the right/wrong question.

• SileSile Veteran

Funny statement considering the number of ethical scandals its members are involved in at any other given time --- it may not be directly related to any particular aspect of non-duality, but something in the water :)

What number of ethical scandals, compared to its members who are not involved in ethical scandals, and compared to members of other religions altogether?

You'd have to prove that of the Earth's human beings, Zen or Mahayana practitioners are somehow involved in more scandals (whatever those are--I can issue a false statement tomorrow and start a baseless "scandal") than people who are not practicing Zen or Mahayana, in order to even begin to show a causal relationship.

edited May 2012
    Upasaka, please tell me how many Zen masters place the practice of virtue over the teaching of non-duality. Tell me how many recognize the importance.

I'll tell you: VERY FEW

oh, worry me... the sky is falling... someone is criticising zen... can't have that...

And you certainly don't need to start a baseless scandal, there's teachers out there in all traditions that create the real thing with no help.

• SileSile Veteran
    I think it may be safe to posit that meditation may prevent violence rather than cause it to increase, judged by the number of schools in the US now which are using meditation with high-risk kids to address some of their anger issues.

It's okay to pen a sensational article akin to "exercise may kill" but I do question what the intent is. It's fun to make a splash, as an author, but inevitably you end up convincing some people to stop exercising if, as I feel the other in the OP did, you don't do the work of showing that this sensationalist headline really comes from a rare exception as compared to a "norm."
  • SileSile Veteran
    Upasaka, please tell me how many Zen masters place the practice of virtue over the teaching of non-duality. Tell me how many recognize the importance.

I'll tell you: VERY FEW

oh, worry me... the sky is falling... someone is criticising zen... can't have that...

And you certainly don't need to start a baseless scandal, there's teachers out there in all traditions that create the real thing with no help.

Okay, approximately how many, in your estimation, at the moment, and what is the approximate number of those teachers, compared to the approximate number of Zen teachers who are not involved in a scandal?

Drinking water can kill. Without question. But what does that mean?

• Again, no one said it was the NORM.
    edited May 2012
    If the "collective" makes an attempt to protect the few who do, then all of them, period. If there's a dsease in a tree branch, do you hide the branch from the light of day or remove it?

In hindsight, it's also hard to ignore the fact that Zen flourishes in the West, but is dying in its land of origin.
    edited May 2012
    Drinking water can kill. Without question. But what does that mean?
    Too much sitting still, whether it's in meditation or not, can kill. But what does that mean?

This is off topic, but here we go:

According to a study in the March 26 issue of Archives of Internal Medicine, researchers discovered that people who sat for 11 hours a day or more were 40 percent more likely to die - from any cause. The researchers also found the odds of dying were 15 percent higher for those who sit between eight to 11 hours a day compared to those who sit less than four hours a day.

Researchers relied on self-reported data from 22,497 individuals 45 years or older from the 45 and Up study, the largest look at aging in the Southern Hemisphere. The study has interviewed over 265,000 men and women across New South Wales and Australia, focusing on about 10 percent of that group for additional data over the coming decades. The researchers determined sitting was associated with a higher death risk after ruling out other factors including gender, age, education, urban/rural residence, physical activity, body mass index, smoking status, self-rated health and disability.

"The evidence on the detrimental health effects of prolonged sitting has been building over the last few years," study author Hidde van der Ploeg, a senior research fellow at the University of Sydney, told HealthDay. "The study stands out because of its large number of participants and the fact that it was one of the first that was able to look at total sitting time. Most of the evidence to date had been on the health risks of prolonged television viewing."

A study last year by Harvard researchers found watching TV for two hours a day increases type 2 diabetes risk by 20 percent and heart disease risk by 15 percent, HealthPop reported. More than three hours of daily viewing and you're upping your risk of dying from any disease, the study found.

Too much sitting or a lack of physical activity has also been linked to causing up to 43,000 cases of colon cancer and 49,000 cases of breast cancer, HealthPop reported. That report, which was presented at the American Institute for Cancer Research in Washington, D.C. in November 2011, looked at over 200 studies worldwide and concluded that physical inactivity raises risks for cancer. The World Health Organization says physical inactivity is the main cause for approximately 21-25 percent of breast and colon cancers, 27 percent of diabetes and approximately 30 percent of ischaemic heart disease burden.

van der Ploeg told HealthDay that nine out of 10 adults spend relax by sitting down and fewer than half exercise for at least 150 minutes of at least moderate-intensity physical activity each week, a standard set by the WHO .

The researchers say that reducing sitting time, in addition to increasing physical activity levels, may help alleviate sitting's link to all-cause mortality.

Of course, most of us us don't sit in meditation for such long periods, not to mention that that there's other forms of meditation, such as walking, but more than a few times I have come across Buddhist practitioners who view such long periods as a sign of perfection.

Now, let's get back to the topic of this thread:

Read every word of it and stop fixating on the one part of it that you disagree with --- the above is what's being discussed in the OP

• SileSile Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Again, no one said it was the NORM.
    Right - I'm asking what's the approximate number of scandalous teachers compared to (what is apparently agreed-upon as) the norm, i.e. the non-scandalous teachers?

There were a certain number of cases last year where people drank so much water they developed symptoms of water poisoning; but what is that number compared to the number of people who didn't overconsume?

That numerical relationship determines whether a particular hazard justifies, say, nationwide headlines announcing that "water can kill," and school districts subsequently investing money on water-consumption awareness, or whether it's just an unfortunate rarity which actually doesn't have much (if anything) to do with water, but rather a a personal issue (obsessive tendencies, simple youthful boneheadedness, etc.)

I'm curious whether Breivik himself mentioned Zen, or whether the author took a bit of a leap when he said, "We've been here before. Brevik likened himself to a Japanese banzai warrior seeking satori." At first glance, that would seem to indicate Brevik himeself brought up Zen, but it's not completely clear. I would have expected a quote from Brevik on that point if Breivik indeed brought it up (or mentioned it in a journal, etc.)

• SileSile Veteran
    edited May 2012
    It does look as if he brought up satori:

http://www.rt.com/news/breivik-testimony-meditation-death-584/

I think it could be safely stated Breivik misinterprets satori, given the millions of practitioners who equate striving for satori as synonymous with upholding non-violence tenets.

Nonetheless, here is a charming article positing Zen as basically immoral rubbish, and Ch'an as the only way ;)

http://www.friesian.com/divebomb.htm
    edited May 2012
    I'm curious whether Breivik himself mentioned Zen, or whether the author took a bit of a leap when he said, "We've been here before. Brevik likened himself to a Japanese banzai warrior seeking satori." At first glance, that would seem to indicate Brevik himeself brought up Zen, but it's not completely clear. I would have expected a quote from Brevik on that point if Breivik indeed brought it up (or mentioned it in a journal, etc.)
    There's many who claim to adopt aspects of Zen throughout their life, when in fact they're only interest martial arts --- when I was a kid, I had several friends that fit that bill and this continued well into adulthood for many of these people.

Though I suspect the majority of us would disagree with such a person describing their practice as "Zen", the fact remains that they believed it was.

On a humorous note, these days they would be referred to as "wannabe jedi knights" :)

Nonetheless, here is a charming article positing Zen as basically immoral rubbish, and Ch'an as the only way
    Truth be told, I would be one of them with such an opinion, not that Zen started that way, but the state of things today.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I think there's something that needs to be distinguished here, and that is Breivik's intent and, say, a kamikaze pilot's.

Here we are getting into the question of whether or not there is ever justifiable violence, but I think some here agree that there is at least, occasionally, justifiable violence, or at least that some violence seems more justifiable than other.

I would argue that the kamikaze pilot was not ultimately using Zen (or Zen inspired practices) to kill, but to defend. The kamikaze pilot--and I believe most WWII pilots--each believed they were engaged in defense of their own nations, their own families. You can certainly say that the kamikaze pilot focused his mind and thought of killing and that was his goal, to kill Allies (or that the Christian pilot was thinking of killing when he prayed, "Let my aim be true,) but his real goal was to defend his nation (or somehow fight in his nation's honor, for the ultimate well-being of his family, children, friends, etc.)

I think that's a key distinction. Meditate (or pray) to kill, yes, but kill to save...we may not agree with any particular warrior's position, but to write it off as "meditating to kill," as if killing were the only goal, is misleading.

Breivik, too, to listen to his explanation, felt his society was somehow under attack from multiculturalism and that he was fighting against that; it's simply that almost no one shares his opinion, or at least does not share his opinion that killing children is an acceptable way to address that issue.

At any rate, while we practitioners know that meditation is mind-training and that the mind can be trained in pretty much any direction, it's true that the general public likely has a sort of blurry feeling that "meditation is for non-violence." They're correct in the sense that people who teach meditation are almost exclusively also teaching non-violence, but the author of the piece is correct in identifying that mind-training can be directed anywhere.

I think the author seems rather gratuitously focused on milking his seemingly-scandalous headline, however, as opposed to shedding real light.
    edited May 2012
    But on the other hand, the only real victims in any given armed conflict are usually the children to begin with. As Ghandi said, there is no road to peace except to become peace. If adults can't grasp this, what chance does a child have?

Justifiable violence is splitting hairs.
  • SileSile Veteran
    Also, I believe if I'm not mistaken, that Breivik was using this killing as a "shock value" act, rather than believing he was fighting an actual thread. In other words, even by his own twisted logic, he was not defending against a real enemy by this particular killing spree, but mostly using a terrorist approach (i.e. killing an innocent to somehow affect the actual enemy).
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited May 2012
    But on the other hand, the only real victims in any given armed conflict are usually the children to begin with. As Ghandi said, there is no road to peace except to become peace. If adults can't grasp this, what chance does a child have?

Justifiable violence is splitting hairs.
    I would disagree, given the author's choice of headline ("used meditation to kill.")

An English audience, say, upon discovering that an English WWII pilot "used meditation to kill" would not interpret that fact as bad, but good, because they believe WWII violence in defense of England was justified.

That same audience, hearing Breivik used meditation to kill, would not think it was good.

Totally agree with you that children are often the victims of war (though I believe there are plenty of other innocent victims as well). In fact, one of the methods used to help children from conflict zones deal with post-traumatic stress is meditation, so maybe we've come full circle.

edited May 2012
    Also, I believe if I'm not mistaken, that Breivik was using this killing as a "shock value" act, rather than believing he was fighting an actual thread. In other words, even by his own twisted logic, he was not defending against a real enemy by this particular killing spree, but mostly using a terrorist approach (i.e. killing an innocent to somehow affect the actual enemy).

True, but did the actions of kamikaze pilots lack any less "shock value"?
    edited May 2012
    Sile, couldn't agree with you more --- yes, there are many innocent victims, not just children, but children should never have to pay for the ignorance of their parents and other adults.

• SileSile Veteran
    edited May 2012

True, but did the actions of kamikaze pilots lack any less "shock value"?
    Agree there was shock value, though mostly because the pilots were willing to do something shocking (purposely destroy themselves) to fight the war. But pure shock value would have been kamikaziing into Hawai'ian neighborhoods; kamikaziing into warships is pretty straight-up military effectiveness.

• SileSile Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I wonder if there's a term for this kind of headline - it's all the rage now (or maybe has been for some time)..."Meditation kills!!" ... "People who visit doctors more likely to die!!" or "Alcohol consumption extends life!!" We just love a good "shock value" headline, lol.