Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Florida Self-Defense Shooting Case Update

DakiniDakini Veteran
edited May 2012 in General Banter
About 6 weeks ago there was a thread here about a man in Florida who shot and killed a teen who crossed the man's property. Under a controversial "Stand-Your-Ground" law, Florida allows homeowners at home to shoot to kill anyone who appears to be threatening in any way, even if only passing onto someone's private property to take a short-cut, or for any reason. Naturally, a law like that opens the door to the homeowner's interpretation, in which prejudice can play a role.

In this case, a teen who posed no threat to anyone was killed, in spite of 911 staffers telling the homeowner not to get involved. The killer was not arrested for some time, due to the "Stand Your Ground" law. The killer has now been found guilty of second degree murder.

The disturbing and puzzling thing for me was to see how many of our own members on NB sided with the killer. Shooting someone for no cause other than that he had crossed onto the homeowners property on his way back to a friend's house after buying candy at a local store was viewed by several Buddhists to be perfectly reasonable. I wonder if any of those have revised their view now that the case is nearing a close.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/12/us/zimmerman-to-be-charged-in-travyon-martin-shooting.html?pagewanted=all

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

The disturbing and puzzling thing for me was to see how many of our own members on NB sided with the killer.
    Really?!?!!! :eek2: I knew some users were a bit pro-imperialism (which is equally disturbing), but jeez....

But I'm glad that this guy is getting his comeuppance.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Link is broken. I somehow missed that NB thread, I was wondering at the time why there was no discussion of the case when everyone else in America was talking about it.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I've triple-checked the link, I don't know why it's not working.
    You can Google nytimes, zimmerman, travyon martin case

I hope this case provokes a review of the whole concept of a stand-your-ground law. And it turns out, the homeowner, George Zimmerman, wasn't even defending his home, as had originally been posted here. He followed the youth in his car, after being told not to by 911 dispatchers. It also was revealed that Zimmerman had a history of violence and run-ins with law enforcement. He seems like a trigger-happy type.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I think what happened is Zimmerman saw Martin, maybe some words were exchanged?, and was wary so decided to follow him as a member of the neighborhood watch. Trayvon Martin noticed someone following him and got worried. Martin waited for Zimmerman to get close and confronted him, things got heated and a scuffle broke out, Martin was getting the better of Zimmerman so Zimmerman shot him.

My view is that a black youth walking to a freind's house escalated to a killing because George Zimmerman was being gung-ho in his neighborhood watch role (nothing criminal there). Trayvon Martin didn't know George was part of the watch and was worried that he was some thug out to harm him so he confronted him. When he got up in Zimmerman's face that confirmed Zimmerman's paranoia and if it turned physical then Zimmerman became afraid for his life. A tragic case of misunderstanding on both sides.

That being said the fault in my hypothetical scenario resides with George Zimmerman since he was putting himself in the authority position and because the 911 operator told him not to approach.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    That's a sensible interpretation, @person. But this stand-your-ground law seems like an invitation for people to invent/imagine just cause and invite tragedy to strike.

You make a good point; Zimmerman was the grown-up in the scenario, the responsible one. There's also been some concern about racial profiling playing a role in the incident. I think someone with Zimmerman's background shouldn't have been allowed to be part of the neighborhood watch team.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

A country that thinks that everyone should have the right to bear arms shouldn't be surprised when they get used. On a good day the separation between crazy and sane only seems skin deep. Because everyone gets emotionally twisted from time to time, one definition of mine for brainless is allowing anyone to have the right to carry a point & kill tool.
    In the land of the free, all the rights of the individual end up weighing little more than a few grams of lead.

• justsheajustshea Explorer
    I mourn the fact that we had two human beings who were so crazy with fear they didn't even assume they were just two guys walking through a neighborhood.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Link is broken. I somehow missed that NB thread, I was wondering at the time why there was no discussion of the case when everyone else in America was talking about it.
    Same here. I missed the thread, too, and wondered why it had not been brought up.

• robotrobot Veteran
    About 6 weeks ago there was a thread here about a man in Florida who shot and killed a teen who crossed the man's property. Under a controversial "Stand-Your-Ground" law, Florida allows homeowners at home to shoot to kill anyone who appears to be threatening in any way, even if only passing onto someone's private property to take a short-cut, or for any reason. Naturally, a law like that opens the door to the homeowner's interpretation, in which prejudice can play a role.

In this case, a teen who posed no threat to anyone was killed, in spite of 911 staffers telling the homeowner not to get involved. The killer was not arrested for some time, due to the "Stand Your Ground" law. The killer has now been found guilty of second degree murder.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/12/us/zimmerman-to-be-charged-in-travyon-martin-shooting.html?pagewanted=all
    @Dakini I couldn't get anywhere with this link either. I notice that the link is from April 12.
    As near as I can tell the prosecution has not yet finished their arguments so they are a ways off from convicting Zimmerman.
    At this point it looks more like he will be found not guilty. Time will tell.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    About 6 weeks ago there was a thread here about a man in Florida who shot and killed a teen who crossed the man's property. Under a controversial "Stand-Your-Ground" law, Florida allows homeowners at home to shoot to kill anyone who appears to be threatening in any way, even if only passing onto someone's private property to take a short-cut, or for any reason.

Whoever wrote that has no idea what they are talking about. You can't just go shooting people for no reason or because they short cut through your yard. That is complete nonsense!

• A country that thinks that everyone should have the right to bear arms shouldn't be surprised when they get used. On a good day the separation between crazy and sane only seems skin deep. Because everyone gets emotionally twisted from time to time, one definition of mine for brainless is allowing anyone to have the right to carry a point & kill tool.
    In the land of the free, all the rights of the individual end up weighing little more than a few grams of lead.

This x2 :thumbsup:
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    the important thing is that it went to trial... we can speculate all day if zimmerman was the defender or aggressor, but the decision lays with the selected attempt of an unbiased few to view all the evidence under the guidance of an elected judge... I can't argue with that whatever the outcome
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2012
    The NY TImes article I read said the charge brought against Zimmerman was 2nd degree murder. First degree murder would require proving that the shooting was premeditated. Someone told me yesterday the trial was drawing to a close, and a guilty verdict had been made. I'll dig around and see if I can find more current info on it.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited May 2012
    The trial has not even gotten started yet, far as I know. The two sides are still in their discovery stage, gathering and preparing their case.

For those of you not living in the US, in spite of what the news implies, almost nobody carries a gun around. Even people who hunt and have multiple guns rarely stick a gun in their pocket when they leave the house. My extended family has always hunted and every house has a collection of rifles and guns, and they all say anyone who walks around with a pistol is an idiot with fantasies of being Clint Eastwood.

But being an idiot is not necessarily breaking the law, and the problem with this case is a bad law pushed by an extreme fringe group with powerful ties to Republicans. It will be interesting to see what happens, but so far not a one of the states with similar laws has changed it at all.
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    @dakini would you revise your view if he is found innocent?
    The NY TImes article I read said the charge brought against Zimmerman was 2nd degree murder. First degree murder would require proving that the shooting was premeditated. Someone told me yesterday the trial was drawing to a close, and a guilty verdict had been made. I'll dig around and see if I can find more current info on it.
    The trial is not even close to beginning. It will be weeks, if not months before it does so.

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I think the press will cover it when it comes near conclusion also @Dakini.

Metta,
    Abu
    I think the press will cover it when it comes near conclusion also @Dakini.

Metta,
    Abu
    In fact, it will be saturation coverage, as it was in its early stages.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2012
    No, I think stand-your-ground amounts to a no-fault license to kill.

@vinlyn You're right, it would appear I'd been misinformed about the trial already having happened. Still, this is an opportunity for us to discuss the issue.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    @cinorjer The problem is that the gun lobby is pushing to extend people's gun-carrying rights to ever-widening environments, and it's marketing gun ownership aggressively, including to women . After the latest shooting at Virginia Tech, there are initiatives in Virginia and Arizona to allow guns on college campuses. There are even initiatives to allow guns in day care centers (for what purpose, I can't imagine). So I don't know how much longer the statement "almost no one puts a gun in their pocket when they leave the house" will be true. At least a couple of our members posted on one of the gun threads after the Virginia Tech incident, that they do carry guns when they leave the house, and they defended their right to carry them anywhere they wanted. So if our little community has concealed weapon carriers, extrapolating a percentage from that to the population as a whole, one could conclude there is a significant number of concealed weapon carriers in the population at large. Whether or not that would be a valid conclusion, I don't know.

But the Zimmerman case points out the dangers in making guns readily available to anyone, and having lax gun laws. Any nut can get a gun, in spite of background check requirements (with his history of violence, Zimmerman never should have been allowed to have a gun), and depending on local laws, may literally feel he can get away with murder. Zimmerman wasn't apprehended for weeks, because of the stand-your-ground law, which amounts to a no-fault license to kill. We'll see how this test of the law plays out.

• The American gun ownership and death/massacre situation is very unfortunate.

@vinlyn You're right, it would appear I'd been misinformed about the trial already having happened. Still, this is an opportunity for us to discuss the issue.

:thumbup:
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

It's not. Unless someone is trying to kill you, then yea, it is.

:)
    I think saying it's a "license to kill" is a bit over the top. You're only supposed to use it when you fear for you own life or well-being. It's too generous, as compared to "self defense".

I think this is going to be a very difficult case. There's no reason the Martin boy should be dead. No reason at all. Period. But, as we have recently found out, Zimmerman walked away from the situation with cuts, bruises, and injuries. Tapes have been analyzed, but they could not determine who was screaming for help. Zimmerman apparently was on the bottom on the ground. Martin had every right to be where he was. Zimmerman was part of the neighborhood watch group, but was also told not to pursue Martin when he called the police, and he had called the police many times. Clearly over-zealous. Martin had a very light dose of marijuana in his system, but not enough to cause erratic behavior. Although Martin should be alive today, I can't say that it's all a clear cut case in terms of law. Another question that must be asked is what will ultimately happen to Zimmerman if he is found innocent?
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I think saying it's a "license to kill" is a bit over the top. You're only supposed to use it when you fear for you own life or well-being. It's too generous, as compared to "self defense".

I think this is going to be a very difficult case. There's no reason the Martin boy should be dead. No reason at all. Period. But, as we have recently found out, Zimmerman walked away from the situation with cuts, bruises, and injuries. Tapes have been analyzed, but they could not determine who was screaming for help. Zimmerman apparently was on the bottom on the ground. Martin had every right to be where he was. Zimmerman was part of the neighborhood watch group, but was also told not to pursue Martin when he called the police, and he had called the police many times. Clearly over-zealous. Martin had a very light dose of marijuana in his system, but not enough to cause erratic behavior. Although Martin should be alive today, I can't say that it's all a clear cut case in terms of law. Another question that must be asked is what will ultimately happen to Zimmerman if he is found innocent?
    Let's be clear about Zimmerman's actions. Neither he nor anyone in a neighborhood watch group has the right or authority to challenge you or anyone walking down a sidewalk minding your own business. Zimmerman was nothing but a private citizen with 911 on speed dial. The minute he got out of his car and intruded in Martin's life, it was Martin who had the right to defend himself since all he saw was a stranger acting in a beligerant manner, following him and causing him to be afraid. For all Martin knew, this was some serial killer trolling for victims or to rob him. And when he saw Zimmerman had a gun, the fear made a physical assault justified.

So who's at fault? The neighborhood and the police knew Zimmerman was a loose cannon, an accident waiting to happen. The man's actions before this were not normal by any definition. The outrage comes from the police not even bothering to investigate this or hold Zimmerman responsible. Maybe the bad law means he gets off, maybe not. It is beyond doubt that if a black man had shot and killed a white boy, that black man would be on trial for murder automatically in the state of Florida, laws or not.
    ^^ I don't disagree with a thing you say. But, in court, I'm not sure it's quite as clear as we see it from a moral standpoint.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Whether or not stand-your-ground is a no-fault license to kill will be determined by the result of this court case. In the beginning, it appeared to be so, because the police didn't behave as though a crime had been committed, as Cinorjer said, they didn't hold him responsible. That's a scary precedent. Clearly, the law needs to be modified, if it's allowed to remain on the books at all.

@Cinorjer Thanks for the synopsis.
    Whether or not stand-your-ground is a no-fault license to kill will be determined by the result of this court case. In the beginning, it appeared to be so, because the police didn't behave as though a crime had been committed, as Cinorjer said, they didn't hold him responsible. That's a scary precedent. Clearly, the law needs to be modified, if it's allowed to remain on the books at all.

@Cinorjer Thanks for the synopsis.
    I agree with pretty much all of what you said.