Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bad noos, good noos, bad noos...

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited June 2012 in General Banter
Bad noos:
It is confirmed by scientists - doomsday is a happening thing, and we are set to collide with the milky way, causing our utter, complete destruction and annihilation.

Good noos - if you can wait 4 billion years, you'll be able to be present and witness the occurrence for yourselves, but pack a sandwich lunch - it will take a further 2 billion years for it to all finalise and come to fruition....
I just mention this, because although the turn of events seems to have been carefully calculated by scientists and astronomers....

Bad noos - it still gives us plenty of time, during the wait, to finish planet earth as we know it, off, for ourselves ahead of schedule....
I mean, realistically, what's the betting......?

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I'll put my money on the dumb guy!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Oh hang on now - can we narrow it down....?

Any particular one? Or is dumbness globally unquantifiable...?

(I think I just answered my own question!)

:crazy:
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Do you mean we're set to collide with the Andromeda galaxy?

Anyway here's a computer simulation of our potential demise. Most of a galaxy is empty space so we may avoid any kind of collision but who knows what kind of effect all the random gravity may have.

• I want to know what the Mayan calendar says
  • noooooooooo

I will miss this...

unless I will live my live extra extra unwise...
    and the next and the next and the next and the next etc. etc. etc.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    the middle generation
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I bet on the earth arriving to meet its end just fine, without us. ...or maybe with
    some small vole-like descendant of us who is preoccupied with hiding from the 40ft carnivorous gastropods. ...or something.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    From a video I watched about it today we don't have anything to worry about it will leave our solar system intact in all odds, That is if the planet hasn't been swallowed by the sun. But then again by then Humans may well be scattered throughout the stars or we will find a way to move earth into a more distant orbit.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I hope sourdough olive loaves will still be available then. I love those things.
    And noodles.
  • I thought our sun was supposed to turn into a red giant in a couple billion years anyways?
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited June 2012
    If humans are around in a few billion years I highly doubt we will be confined to this solar system or even this galaxy so I wouldn't worry too much.
  • all I can think of is The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    I just had my first anxiety attack... Thanks Federica
    all I can think of is The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    So long, and - thanks for all the fish......;)
    I just had my first anxiety attack... Thanks Federica
    Nothing like a confirmed self-destructive route 4 billion years down the line to keep my little forum chums on their toes....
    Just breathe deep, and breathe slow...... you have time.......:D
  • The Earth will probably self destruct before then if the rate of plundering continues unfortunately
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    It may not be making the news just yet but I see a more awakened global mindset on the horizon.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited June 2012
    It would be a hectic and turbulent time, but I don't believe anything would directly collide with us. However the rather rapidly shifting gravity may fling us and our sun a ways away, or even strip all of the planets from the sun as well.

And @ourself is that why we are seeing so much civil unrest worldwide?
    When has there not been civil unrest worldwide?
    I cannot think of a single time in recorded history where conflict has not been evident, somewhere on the planet....
  • When has there not been civil unrest worldwide?
    I cannot think of a single time in recorded history where conflict has not been evident, somewhere on the planet....
    apparently there was a period of 18 years sometime in the 1800's with no recorded war
    well, given the length of human existence, is that anything to be proud of?
    I think not! :D
    edited June 2012
    When has there not been civil unrest worldwide?
    Sorry about self-quoting, but actually, having done some research, the answer would appear to be a succinct "never".
    Unfortunately, there has been no period of more than a few weeks or months in recorded history when there wasn't a war being fought somewhere in the world.
    Updated on Thursday, February 02 2012 at 10:33AM EST
    Source: www.warscholar.com

Collection: war
  • Kudzu my friends, the end will come from kudzu.

I will quote from Wiki the parts I choose to:
    "In the pea family , it is a climbing, coiling(oh! the deviltry!), AND trailing vine , native to Japan and China. It is an INVASIVE species , rapidily spreading throughout the WORLD and kills other trees and shrubs by heavy shading (not a bad way to go). The plant is edible (I believe it want us humans to spread it's seeds).
    In the USA it is spreading at a rate of 150,000 ACRES annually (how long do we have math people?).It has now begun it's shady dealings in Canada, Northern Australia, and entirely covers Vanuatu."
    KUDZU is the "bad noos."
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I want to know what the Mayan calendar says
    "Monday: Sacrifice more slaves."
    :p
    I pencilled that in last year.....
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Talking about bad noos, have some pity for us British republicans having to endure 4 days of queens jubilee celebrations, bah humbug! :p
    I am neither a republican nor a royalist.
    I actually have little concern one way or the other.
    There are plenty of shops remaining open over this so-called, 4-day bank-holiday-fest, and I can't say I blame them. losing 4 days of revenue during these hard times is madness.
    Ridiculous.
    The weather is abysmal, so plenty of these planned community 'street Parties' are going to be a damp-squib washout. Stay at home and enjoy myself doing what I want, rather than pour adulation on a woman who doesn't even know I exist and couldn't care a jot whether I died tomorrow.
  • I want to know what the Mayan calendar says
    "Monday: Sacrifice more slaves."
    :p

:)

Cheers, porpy.
  • Talking about bad noos, have some pity for us British republicans having to endure 4 days of queens jubilee celebrations, bah humbug! :p
    lol BBC, CNN had it on continuously. For news I had to go to Al-Jazeera. :)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

A somewhat lighter touch
    on the bad noos....