Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does everyone deserve love and happiness?

BodhivakaBodhivaka Veteran
edited June 2012 in Buddhism Basics
A lot of times a just feel like a failure. I'm always depressed because I possess a certain characteristic which society immensely despises (I won't say what it is.) Sometimes I begin to feel happy and then all of a sudden my mind says "You don't deserve to be happy. Society doesn't want you to be happy," and then I go right back into a depression. I just want to have peace, love, and happiness in my life, but I always feel like I don't deserve it.

That's primarily why I'm interested in Buddhism -- the message speaks directly to me (as I suppose it does to everyone) -- the end of suffering and the achievement of peace. In your opinion, does everyone deserve to have happiness, peace, and love? Can Buddhism really help me to obtain such things? How can I end the negative thoughts that make me feel so bad about myself?

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @Lowell -- The practice of Buddhism is not so much about what you 'deserve' as it is about what is. In the confusion you describe, perhaps a counselor could lend a hand.
  • I would like to here more on your view Buddhism and "deserving," @genkaku. Recently while practicing metta bhagava I've been putting somewhat of a twist on the traditional words "May I be well, may I be happy, may I be free from suffering," and instead saying "I deserve to be well," etc. It has been working very good for me, as I feel much more happy and at peace the the time I am done meditating. Would you recommend I use the traditional phrasing, instead?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2012
    No.
    I would say you should stick to what works best for you, at the time you need it.
    If you're just peckish for a bag of chips, why order steak and all the trimmings?
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    A lot of times a just feel like a failure. I'm always depressed because I possess a certain characteristic which society immensely despises (I won't say what it is.)
    Ginger hair?

Lowell, I think with some practise that this 'certain characteristic' could be your best teacher, serious. I'm an alkie (normally despised, misunderstood and seen as weak, dirty individuals by society), and I have lived a rotten life for many years, but it turned out to be the best thing that happened to me, though at the time I couldn't have saw that; and if anyone tried to tell me that being an alcoholic (which I knew I was, yet couldn't stop drinking) was something I'd be thankful for (eventually), I'd've thought they were bonkers.

If life were too easy, we wouldn't learn anything, and I do believe much of the Buddhist path is about transforming negative stuff into positive stuff. In the running world they say, "Embrace your hills".

Unfortunately I'm not a guru, so I can't precisely teach you what you need to do, but I do think the secret to a happy life is in having compassion for others. When we help others, we feel good about ourselves and we develop a better self image of ourselves, and I suspect it's not this 'certain characteristic' that really troubles you, it's your own concept of self which troubles you; and I know for a fact we can do something about that.

I'm not sure if this has helped or not, but I hope you find an answer.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Do you know where depression comes from ? The delusion of Self cherishing. When our wishes are not fulfilled this mind creates many problems for us. The only way to actually be happy is to fully concern ones self with others to cherishing others fully.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Why do you take your thoughts seriously?
  • Thank you very much for your wisdom and advise @Tosh and @caznamyaw. This problem of mine causes me to feel anxiety, depression, hopelessness, and shame all the time, but after reading your comments I feel much better. I believe you're both right; I need to change my personal concept of myself, increase my happiness and self-worth by being concerned with others, and start viewing my problem as a tool to help me learn and progress, rather than something that crushes me. The people here have really been so very helpful and kind to me; I'm extremely happy that I joined this forum. Thank you :)
  • It is only by taking them seriously that they are overcome.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    It is only by taking them seriously that they are overcome.
    The war in trying to overcome thoughts is pointless.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Why do you take your thoughts seriously?
    That could - and should - be phrased more carefully.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Why is there attachment or aversion towards thoughts?
    Just let them be. They come and go as they please. Good or bad.
    Negative thoughts are just thoughts. Positive thoughts are just thoughts.

Trying to get rid of thoughts is just another thought. Trying to attain peace is just another thought. Trying to see if you deserve peace or love is just another thought.

Its all just thoughts. Don't give them importance and they will disappear as soon as they appear.
  • It is only by taking them seriously that they are overcome.
    Apparently.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Hi, Lowell

Negative thoughts are conditioned by other processes in the body and environment; through breath meditation and mindfulness, develop the calm and subtlety to witness the roots of thought in physical tensions, and gradually both tension and thoughts will reveal their emptiness. The voice that sometimes calls itself 'you', and at other times criticises 'you', is just part of a process, it's not the controller of the process, it is conditioned just as it conditions.
    In your opinion, does everyone deserve to have happiness, peace, and love?
    Yeah. Only heavily conditioned thinking could possibly conclude otherwise. The critical thoughts you hear are like mistranslations.

You'll be ok.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    It is only by taking them seriously that they are overcome.
    Apparently.
    I didn't quite get that from your taking thoughts seriously to overcome them.

Can you explain?
  • I'm agreeing with you that it's pointless to try changing your mind, and that I should not take your thoughts seriously.
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Does everyone deserve love and happiness?
    All new born babies deserve happiness, But not all people deserve happiness..

''All babies are born beautiful, its just that some let the world turn them into something ugly...''

So as to your question, we cant really say because we dont know why 'you' think you dont deserve happiness. Depends on what youve done etc etc.. If you really believe you dont deserve happiness and love then there is only 2 reasons for thinking this;

1. Youve done something terrible which makes you think you no longer deserve happiness in life.

Or

2. You have depression. (which you said ''..and then I go right back into a depression''

So yes its sounds like you have despression. I would find the cause and work on that. Get help if need be. Meditate and listen to yourslef. What is your heart telling you.

Buddhism alone wont help you find peace. If anything, it can make one more depressed if he becomes 'too' attached to Buddhism and seeking. The seeking mind is the suffering mind.

If your too attached to 'wanting' to find peace and love and happiness, then already you are suffering.
    Instead, drop everything, Let be, just be, practice acceptance and MEDITATE.

''Just meditate.
    Concentrate on the breath and just BE...
    Listen..
    And be at peace with what is.
    Be at peace with what you are.
    Accept whatever you FEEL
    and in time my friend,
    You will HEAL''

~V~

X
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Thank you very much for your wisdom and advise @Tosh and @caznamyaw. This problem of mine causes me to feel anxiety, depression, hopelessness, and shame all the time, but after reading your comments I feel much better. I believe you're both right; I need to change my personal concept of myself, increase my happiness and self-worth by being concerned with others, and start viewing my problem as a tool to help me learn and progress, rather than something that crushes me. The people here have really been so very helpful and kind to me; I'm extremely happy that I joined this forum. Thank you :)
    Yesterday my mind was causing me some problems, I recognized after a period it was because I was concerned with my own happiness and problems and this self cherishing mind was actually the causes of my problems, Therefore I changed the object of cherishing from Self to others and my problems, worries and depression disappeared because there was no room in my mind for self cherishing to arise.

There is a simple method of training known as Lojong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lojong
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @Lowell - One of the problems I see with using the word "deserve" is that it suggests that you're "supposed to have" or are "entitled to" a certain thing/feeling/state/etc. But what if you don't have the thing that you feel you "deserve?" Suffering. Because you think you "deserve" happiness and love but aren't seeing it, you feel like society doesn't want you to be happy.

If I feel like I "deserve" the pay raise given to my co-worker and not me, I'm going to be unhappy and resentful because I'm feeling attached and entitled to the pay raise. The reality is that I didn't get it, but if I think I 'deserve" it, I'm just attaching myself to it. I have to let go, or I'll burn out.

I hate to be a buzzkill, but using the "I deserve to be well" mantra may help you feel happier for now, but what if you're facing something more intense and it creates a lot of negativity and unhappiness? Will you think that somehow society/the universe hates you and that it's plotting against your desire to be happy/well/etc? Just keep your desires, expectations, and attachments to outcomes in check is all I'm saying.

personally, something that helps me in my times of social anxiety/stress/depression is just trying to get back to the "beginner's mind." That is, dropping expectations, assumptions, judgments, etc. Be mindful of all phenomena as they come. I find it really helps to stop my brain from conjuring up all sorts of negative, judgmental, critical crap that makes me feel terrible.

All new born babies deserve happiness, But not all people deserve happiness..

''All babies are born beautiful, its just that some let the world turn them into something ugly...''
    Wow, that's skillful...
    So as to your question, we cant really say because we dont know why 'you' think you dont deserve happiness. Depends on what youve done etc etc.. If you really believe you dont deserve happiness and love then there is only 2 reasons for thinking this;

1. Youve done something terrible which makes you think you no longer deserve happiness in life.

Or

2. You have depression. (which you said ''..and then I go right back into a depression''
    What qualifies you to make these assumptions and diagnoses?
    Meditate and listen to yourslef. What is your heart telling you.
    Our "hearts" tell us many things, depending on the time of day and our emotions at the time. Despite all the Disney films and romantic comedies, the "heart" shouldn't necessarily lead the way.It's impulsive and too tied up with emotions.

Unless you're talking about another "heart?"
    Buddhism alone wont help you find peace. If anything, it can make one more depressed if he becomes 'too' attached to Buddhism and seeking. The seeking mind is the suffering mind.

If your too attached to 'wanting' to find peace and love and happiness, then already you are suffering.
    Instead, drop everything, Let be, just be, practice acceptance and MEDITATE.
    But that's not a fault of Buddhism, that's a fault of the practitioner.

If someone eats too much pie and gets diabetes, is it the fault of the pie?

• Does everyone deserve love and happiness?
    Yes everyone does, including ourselves. We are all partners in birth, old age, sickness, death, and suffering. Loving kindness is exactly what we all need from each other. I believe compassion is strength, and we need to be strong to ease suffering for ourselves and for others.

metta
  • In your opinion, does everyone deserve to have happiness, peace, and love? Can Buddhism really help me to obtain such things? How can I end the negative thoughts that make me feel so bad about myself?
    To answer most of your questions. Yes.

To answer the last one: The best way to end those negative thoughts would be to learn the proper way to meditate and practice that daily.

May your suffering cease and that you receive what you deserve.

Buddha
  • Perhaps we owe it to others and stop wallowing in self pitying and self cherishing. If we are useful to other people and work in small or great steps to help each other along the way then it no longer becomes a question of what we deserve.

Whether we receive or not, being a part of the solution and developing a rich and sensitive internal environment, will remove any thoughts and questions about ourselves.

• zenffzenff Veteran
    A lot of times a just feel like a failure. I'm always depressed because I possess a certain characteristic which society immensely despises (I won't say what it is.) Sometimes I begin to feel happy and then all of a sudden my mind says "You don't deserve to be happy. Society doesn't want you to be happy," and then I go right back into a depression.
    You’re not telling us what’s “wrong” with you so I imagine it’s the worst thing I can think of.
    And that’s pretty nasty. :D

So do you deserve happiness?
    Let’s for the sake of argument say that you don’t.
    Well I think that in this case you should get it anyways.
    Steal it.
    It’s your life.

Read the story of Angulimala
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angulimala
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited June 2012
    In your opinion, does everyone deserve to have happiness, peace, and love?
    Yes, most definitely. :)

Can Buddhism really help me to obtain such things?
    Practicing it can, yes.
    How can I end the negative thoughts that make me feel so bad about myself?
    By deliberately replacing them with their opposite. Love this guy! :)

• ZeroZero Veteran
    I'm always depressed because I possess a certain characteristic which society immensely despises (I won't say what it is.)
    all of a sudden my mind says "You don't deserve to be happy. Society doesn't want you to be happy," and then I go right back into a depression. I just want to have peace, love, and happiness in my life, but I always feel like I don't deserve it.
    What is the characteristic? you should consider this as it seems to be the source of your depression - it seems to strike at the reason why you dont think you deserve contentment.
  • Hapiness comes from within.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Happines comes from accepting what is and letting go of what isn't. And recognizing that they are the same.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    I disagree.
  • @Lowell

You may find this book helpful.

The Mindful Way Through Depression.

http://books.google.com/books?id=uE-HjrA2yJIC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
  • You’re not telling us what’s “wrong” with you so I imagine it’s the worst thing I can think of.
    And that’s pretty nasty.
    Oh, if we're thinking of the same thing, then no haha, it's definitely not that.
    So do you deserve happiness?
    Let’s for the sake of argument say that you don’t.
    Well I think that in this case you should get it anyways.
    Steal it.
    It’s your life.
    That comment really helped me! Even if I don't deserve happiness that doesn't mean I can't have it. I should live life to the fullest while I have it. Thanks :)
    Read the story of Angulimala
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angulimala
    Nice story. I haven't done something as bad as kill someone haha, but it shows that even the "worst" of people can turn around and find peace and happiness :)
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I think that's a horrible question

that is all
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    They don't deserve it, but there is the Buddhist path. Does a fishermen deserve fish?

I agree also that it's a horrible question in some ways of thinking.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    To answer the title of your post, yes.
  • I think that's a horrible question

that is all
    Why do you think so, @shanyin?
  • They don't deserve it, but there is the Buddhist path. Does a fishermen deserve fish?

Perhaps you're right about the concept of "deserving." Fishermen don't necessarily deserve fish, but we might say that it would be preferable that they do have fish, seeing as how their occupation not only provides them with the money required to support themselves and their possible families, but also supplies society with a valuable food resource. I believe this also applies to human happiness; although we may not deserve it, it is certainly preferable that we have it, as not only does it make one's life better, but it also possesses the potential to improve the lives of others, as well.

As to your agreement with Shanyin concerning the "horrible" nature of my question, would you care to explain? Personally, I'm of the opinion that any question which can lead to a fuller understanding of humanity and its place in this universe is a valid question; nevertheless, you may know of reasons that suggest otherwise; I'm interested in knowing what those reasons might be.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    They don't deserve it, but there is the Buddhist path. Does a fishermen deserve fish?

Perhaps you're right about the concept of "deserving." Fishermen don't necessarily deserve fish, but we might say that it would be preferable that they do have fish, seeing as how their occupation not only provides them with the money required to support themselves and their possible families, but also supplies society with a valuable food resource. I believe this also applies to human happiness; although we may not deserve it, it is certainly preferable that we have it, as not only does it make one's life better, but it also possesses the potential to improve the lives of others, as well.

As to your agreement with Shanyin concerning the "horrible" nature of my question, would you care to explain? Personally, I'm of the opinion that any question which can lead to a fuller understanding of humanity and its place in this universe is a valid question; nevertheless, you may know of reasons that suggest otherwise; I'm interested in knowing what those reasons might be.
    @Lowell

We rely on the right connections to have happiness. If we didn't have any time or motivation to meditate for example. I don't think that means we don't deserve to learn the dharma. I do believe that everyone will one day be able to find happiness along all of these lives we have. The problem is that it is so hard to practice or at least there are so many ways we distract ourselves and lose confidence.

I agreed with shanyin that it is a bad question for those of us who have terrible pain. I hear voices 24 hours a day even in my sleep due to faulty brain connections. In a vulnerable time of my ongoing on off depression it is not healthy to feel I deserve the pain or even question the topic. It shouldn't be that way but it just *is* destabilizing. In those times keeping a positive attitude is more important than analyzing a question in NB that I will forget in three days anyhow.

• I agreed with shanyin that it is a bad question for those of us who have terrible pain. I hear voices 24 hours a day even in my sleep due to faulty brain connections. In a vulnerable time of my ongoing on off depression it is not healthy to feel I deserve the pain or even question the topic. It shouldn't be that way but it just *is* destabilizing. In those times keeping a positive attitude is more important than analyzing a question in NB that I will forget in three days anyhow.
    I fully agree that maintaining a positive attitude is essential for our mental health, and indeed, the intention of this question was ultimately to find confirmation that all human beings should have happiness, peace, and love. I apologize if my question offended you. Although I can't relate to schizophrenia, I can relate to deep, debilitating depression, as that is something I experience almost daily; it was that very depression that motivated me to post this question in a desperate attempt to find hope. To a significant extent, I found the replies on this thread to be immensely helpful and comforting. I hope they can bring you some peace, as well :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @Lowell, yeah that's what I suspected of you, that you had a good message. I was just saying what I thought about how to be careful of views, thinking that they are more important than the skillful means to take care of ourselves.