Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Alcohol

2»

Comments

• Don't know what it makes me, but when I'm done mowing the lawn I have a beer.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    @vinlyn

You said: "I certainly agree with what you say about the way "old world" Buddhists live their lives...since that's where I learned Buddhism...in Thailand over nearly 20 long summers and about 2 years of living there full time."

That is very interesting to me. :)
    How do you feel about opening a new discussion thread and sharing your experiences in Thailand and its Buddhist practices; and point out the similarities and differences? (or have you done that already somewhere in this forum?)

Peace.

It's been kind of a running discussion as I find it appropriate to a thread.

• tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I'll repeat one more time for anyone who is concerned with practical advice. Pot and coffee don't interfere with my practice, pot can actually help though it can make me a little crazy, tea also in a mild way is beneficial; alcohol destroys my practice even in small amounts. Comparatively speaking I don't really care about the precept issue, I care about what actually happens in practice.
    @PrairieGhost Interesting you would say that, because it reminded me of something Timothy Leary wrote: the 8 circuits of consciousness. It was his claim that certain substances would lead us to experience certain circuits. The implication is that if you are aiming to achieve a high circuit or are at higher circuit levels (closer toward enlightenment, if I can phrase it that way), certain substances would actually bring you down to "lower" levels.

Here is a collection of things regarding this topic: http://deoxy.org/8brains.htm I find it to be very interesting stuff.
    Well the only problem I can see with that action is if you knock over old ladies, kick kids out of the way, and stomp through the flower beds to steal the beer from the neighbors.

;)
    Well the only problem I can see with that action is if you knock over old ladies, kick kids out of the way, and stomp through the flower beds to steal the beer from the neighbors.

;)
    Guess I'm safe then.
  • mithrilmithril Veteran
    I've seen people (and myself) get more intoxicated by the fact that they weren't drinking then by drinking some alcohol. So i do drink occasionally, although it makes me tired which is annoying when with people, and kinda restricts how much i will have.

I've actually tried to get drunk once, just for the sake of it, but fell asleep before that happened -.-' Or maybe that's just the way i am drunk (=asleep). Not particularly fun, i can sleep fine without it...

Caffeine on the other hand affects me, so while i don't abstain from it completely it does disagree with the precept somewhat for me.