Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rebirth options?

BodhivakaBodhivaka Veteran
edited June 2012 in Philosophy
Recently I've been thinking about the six realms and all they consist of. For example, does the animal realm include all non-human, earthly organisms, including bacteria, cells, bugs, and other "insignificant" creatures?

Moreover, isn't a cell, for example, incapable of suffering, seeing as how it doesn't experience physical\mental
\emotional pain or possess the mental capacity to feel or contemplate on things such as love, life, death, attachment, desire, etc? If so, wouldn't the four noble truths be irrelevant to life on a cellular level? Of course, I suppose none of that would matter unless we could actually be reborn as a cell; and then again, perhaps it wouldn't matter even if we could be.

What do you think?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I think you're over-thinking things, and what matters to your practice now, is to be the best person you can be, now.
    Just do your best, and be Mindful.

Simplify.
  • I think you're over-thinking things, and what matters to your practice now, is to be the best person you can be, now.
    Just do your best, and be Mindful.

Simplify.
    Perhaps you're right. I certainly agree that actually putting Buddhism into practice is much more important for personal growth. I suppose it's simply in my nature to question everything and learn all I can, even when it pertains to the most mundane and minute details. Religion is my passion, so I'm rather inclined to learn as much as I can; it interests me immensely :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Here's the thing:
    First of all, read this:

Then when such questions come into your mind, ask yourself:
    How conducive is this question - and an answer - to my practice, RIGHT NOW? How will it support me in this Moment?

I find that helps.... :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The dalai lama said the mind has to have enough connections to be a being. So with no neurons they cannot be a being because there would be no craving. Maybe I am wrong about this it's been awhile since I read. Interestingly dalai lama said that some time there will be sentient artificial intelligence. I think the internet is already alive as an organism!
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    My current opinion is that an animal has to have either nerve cells or a nervous system to be considered a sentient being because at that point theoretically they could then feel pleasure and pain. Just looking at behavior plants react towards positive stimulus and away from negative ones. Single cell organisms react to stimulus as well, so its hard to use behavior as an indicator.

The scriptures say animals and insects are sentient and plants aren't. It seems to many that vertebrates have emotions, deciding whether insects do or not is the tricky part, so the presence of nerve cells feels like a good place to draw the line at the moment.
  • When I have nothing valuable to say, I resort to being a smartass :-)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    The title of this post certainly makes it sound like the wheel of fortune.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    You've won...

Aardvark!

Aardvarks are awesome. Wait, seriously, forget this nirvana business; from now on I'm following the noble eightfold aardvark path.
    edited June 2012
    Sorry Iris, you asked a serious question. It's a very interesting question too.

You talk about the capacity to feel love, and we tend to think of this as a very sophisticated, human emotion, but in my view love is inherent to life, including bacteria.

The notion of self, which is again not sophisticated but inherent in every non-enlightened being, corrupts love, and makes it exclusive, not inclusive. The most destructive regime of the 20th century, the Nazis, identified their selves with a mythical Germanic ideal, and thus their love was exclusive, divided, not inclusive, not universal.

Even a single celled animal operates in terms of a self, seeking to get what it wants, and if necessary, excluding the needs of others. You can observe this for yourself, by watching animal behaviour. Thought or understanding are not required; self is the inherent (if unchallenged) mode of consciousness, however rudimentary.

Without self-view, love is inclusive. Self-view operates on the basis that if a being isn't looking after self, it will suffer, because the needs of others will be met rather than its own, but in fact, this is not true.

I mean really, right now, this moment, not true. The basis for all our selfish actions. Everything you want - dust and broken glass. I'm not just parroting doctrine here.
  • I'm not just parroting doctrine here.
    Indeed you're not.
    Even a single celled animal operates in terms of a self, seeking to get what it wants, and if necessary, excluding the needs of others. You can observe this for yourself, by watching animal behaviour. Thought or understanding are not required; self is the inherent (if unchallenged) mode of consciousness, however rudimentary.
    I suppose you could say that every cell in our body are seeking what they want and excluding the needs of other cells, but that would be a rather silly thought, wouldn't it?
    edited June 2012
    Well that's the thing, if it wasn't for cooperation superceding self interest, there could be no body.

As to whether every cell in our body has individual as well as collective consciousness, that kind of question is beyond range, I think.

What can be observed is animals and humans acting selfishly, as if there is attachment, as if they suffer, and also the benefits of acting selflessly.
  • No, the OP asks a great question:

"wouldn't the four noble truths be irrelevant to life on a cellular level?"
    edited June 2012
    As I say, no, I don't think they would be irrelevant, though neither do I think a single celled creature could complete the path in that form. But observation shows that even simple beings can act out of ignorance.
  • As I say, no, I don't think they would be irrelevant, though neither do I think a single celled creature could complete the path in that form. But observation shows that even simple beings can act out of ignorance.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited June 2012
    My current opinion is that an animal has to have either nerve cells or a nervous system to be considered a sentient being because at that point theoretically they could then feel pleasure and pain. Just looking at behavior plants react towards positive stimulus and away from negative ones. Single cell organisms react to stimulus as well, so its hard to use behavior as an indicator.

The scriptures say animals and insects are sentient and plants aren't. It seems to many that vertebrates have emotions, deciding whether insects do or not is the tricky part, so the presence of nerve cells feels like a good place to draw the line at the moment.
    A physicist named Ed Wagner suggested that tree's actually communicate with each other via something he called W-waves,

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf063/sf063b11.htm

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFgQFjAB&url=http://research.wsulibs.wsu.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/2376/1689/v63%20p19%20Wagner.PDF?sequence=1&ei=UVnnT7eUMKOG0AWb-PWLCQ&usg=AFQjCNEfc94-5xi8gO6yhQWZpAsNzZP7Qg

Does this qualify as being sentient ? hmmmmm

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    @zidangus Certain slime molds and amoeba have a behavior where when food in an area becomes scarce they send out a signal to each other. %20 of them form a stalk (which dies) and the other %80 form a ball on top of that stalk that gets carried away by the wind into greener pasutures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictyostelid

This behavior shows communication, craving for food and even altruism by the %20 that dies. There are many behaviors that seem sentient at very simple forms of life, even in plants like you said. Which is why I don't think behavior is a useful criteria for determining sentience.
  • There is no way to determine sentience aside from our own feelings.
    edited June 2012
    Ozen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropocentric

This is what tends to make us dismiss altruistic or emotional behavior in animals as 'instinct', and intelligence as 'cunning. It has also been used in this way to dehumanise human populations.
  • Okay...
  • why stop at cells.
    cells are made up of molecules.
    molecules made up of atoms.
    atoms made up of sub-atomic particles.
    now imagine if you were reborn as a lepton or boson.
    just zipping around, no suffering.....
    Recently I've been thinking about the six realms and all they consist of. For example, does the animal realm include all non-human, earthly organisms, including bacteria, cells, bugs, and other "insignificant" creatures?

Moreover, isn't a cell, for example, incapable of suffering, seeing as how it doesn't experience physical\mental
    \emotional pain or possess the mental capacity to feel or contemplate on things such as love, life, death, attachment, desire, etc? If so, wouldn't the four noble truths be irrelevant to life on a cellular level? Of course, I suppose none of that would matter unless we could actually be reborn as a cell; and then again, perhaps it wouldn't matter even if we could be.

What do you think?
    edited June 2012
    hermitwin
    why stop at cells.
    It's all about love.
  • Okay, a modern Gautama comes along and says that nirvana is beyond the Planck length (that is zero followed by 33 zeros then 16). In addition, beyond the Planck length he teaches there is no rebirth, that is, no particulate or composed (saṃskāra) existence to interface with. If you can intuit this 'field' you don't have to worry about being reborn as a bacterium or a sea slug. Sweet!
    edited June 2012
    Hi Songhill,

Do you mean like wood has a grain?
    The search of the laws of physics valid at the Planck length are a part of the search for the theory of everything.
    [edit]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_length
  • Hard to say what it feels like to be a cell. We know that a cell has form, but we would have to determine if a cell has consciousness or not. If not then I would think they are not within the six realms, and rebirth as a cell or less significant being would not apply here.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited June 2012
    hermitwin
    why stop at cells.
    It's all about love.
    Well I would prefer a Fermion rather than a Boson, simply because Fermions get to have a whole quantum state to themselves (lucky so and so's) where as life for a Bosons must be pretty cramped having to share a single measly state with all those other Bosons. Then again life must be pretty lonely for a Fermion. Aw shucks quantum mechanics is soooo unfair !

:(
  • Another consideration with regard to the OP is that right now we are willing out another body just like we did with this one. As long as we choose to remain unawakened the path doesn't look so good. We will be unable to escape from the samsara trap.

"The five grasping aggregates are previously composed and willed out (purvam abhisamskrtany abhisañcetitani), and to be known as former deed (pauranam karma veditavyam)" (A, 260, 65c-66a).
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I think it's probably about the ability to experience suffering and pain.
  • In order to break the first precept (for example), there has to be a being knowing it's alive - I've read. I also linked to the source a while ago. So first of all we can conclude, that there must be beings that don't know they are alive, and thus cannot make us break the first precept even if we kill them. This would apply to plants, but I don't know about bacteria. I guess we can't fully know, but I lean towards a "no". Since they aren't conscious, they can't suffer either. If you can be reborn as a bacteria, I guess it isn't the worst. You can't really progress on the path either...
    But lets face it - bacteria don't fit Buddhist cosmology or theory because the Buddha as well as the people he taught didn't know about it. Maybe the next Buddha will clear such things up ;)
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Well that's the thing, if it wasn't for cooperation superceding self interest, there could be no body.

As to whether every cell in our body has individual as well as collective consciousness, that kind of question is beyond range, I think.

What can be observed is animals and humans acting selfishly, as if there is attachment, as if they suffer, and also the benefits of acting selflessly.
    I really think a brain is needed to distinguish self from other. I don't think individual cells or even plants seperate themselves from the rest like we do. They still react to stimuli but as a part of the process and don't feel pleasure or pain on the individual level.

A rose is alive but to a rose, there is no distinguishing of any kind so it doesn't suffer from the illusion of seperation. The rose is the entire universe in action.

• DakiniDakini Veteran

\emotional pain or possess the mental capacity to feel or contemplate on things such as love, life, death, attachment, desire, etc?
    This is the age-old question of "what is a sentient being?" I think we've had a thread on that before. As I recall, one definition of "sentient being" was: any being with a nervous system. That would let out jellyfish, cells, bacteria. Maybe that's why it's ok in Tibetan medicine to take Tibetan anti-biotics, and the like.

• JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Well I was told that in order to burn off bad Karma, I have to return as one of natures most complicated and sophisticated creaters. A woman :shake:
  • Well I was told that in order to burn off bad Karma, I have to return as one of natures most complicated and sophisticated creaters. A woman :shake:
    :lol::D