Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Ethics

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited July 2012 in Buddhism Today
The need for ethics arises from the fact that man is not perfect by nature; he has to
train himself to be good. Thus morality becomes the most important aspect of living.

Buddhist ethics finds it's foundation not on the changing social customs but rather
on the unchanging laws of nature. The simple fact that Buddhist ethics are rooted in natural
law makes it principles both useful and acceptable to the modern world.

The morality found in all the precepts can be summarized in 3 simple principles
1. avoid evil
2. to do good
3. to purify the mind.
---(Dhammapada, 183)

The connection between thoughts and deeds, between mental and material
action is an extension of thought....Deeds are condensations of thoughts just as
rain is a condensation of vapor. Deeds proclaim from the rooftop of action only
what has already been committed in the silent and secret chambers of the heart.

-- What Buddhists Believe, Buddhist Ethics, Venerable K. Sri Dhammananda Maha Thera

Comments

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited July 2012
    By body, speech or mind one lay's the groundwork for one's future, so it is understood that one's ethics, thoughts, speech, actions, intentions and motivations are of paramount importance not only for one self but for all beings that one encounters. One is laying the groundwork for one's continued suffering or liberation.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    The simple fact that Buddhist ethics are rooted in natural
    law makes it principles both useful and acceptable to the modern world.
    Many would argue that the same applies to the 10 commandments.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Ethics are what we do in the company of others. Morality is what we do when no one is looking. Buddhism and morality go hand in hand.
  • SileSile Veteran
    I often think of Buddhism as the science of virtue and wisdom.

Interestingly, while some refer to these as the "collection of merit and the collection of wisdom" (the "Two Collections"), Lama Zopa Rinpoche likes to say the "merit of virtue" and the "merit of wisdom." This corresponds nicely with Berzin's view that the Sanskrit terms are best translated as "pure-building positive force" and "pure-building deep awareness." So both virtue and wisdom are merits (or as Berzin prefers, "pure-builders.")

Berzin's extensive thoughts here: http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/sutra/level4_deepening_understanding_path/path/2_enlightenment_build_networks.html
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    @Sile...you know I like a good read! :)

I really appreciated the way he explained motivation, and can link
    it in my mind with the ethical part of the equation. Thanks!
  • SileSile Veteran
    @Sile...you know I like a good read! :)

I really appreciated the way he explained motivation, and can link
    it in my mind with the ethical part of the equation. Thanks!
    Sometimes I feel I need a mental warm-up before delving into "The Berzin," lol, but he never ceases to open doors of understanding in my mind.