Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Movies

124»

Comments

• edited June 2006
    umm i don't try to love them cus they cant and they dont feel comfortable doing it.. i wudnt knwo where to start.. as for other ppl i can do that i think.. and i dont hate anyone.. andn im not ridiculing them im just saying its a problem most likely through bad parenting
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Just because they can't, doesn't mean you can't. You might be surprised what a little love can do.

I can relate to "not knowing how to start" - once walls are built up - it's really tough to tear those buggars down.

I thought there were groups of people you disliked. I must have read some of your posts wrong. I apologize.

Peace, my friend.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Celebrin,

This is the most important thing you may ever learn so pay attention to what BF is telling you. Loving your family doesn't have to start with showing them or becoming demonstrative. It can start inside yourself by developing compassion, understanding and empathy for them. In fact, it must. His Holiness the Dalai Lama is really good at teaching us how to actually do this so I recommend starting with his books.

Your growth as a human and spiritual being depends on your ability to be able to find and develop reasons for loving those you find difficult to love. Equanimity means being able to love all beings equally and that's what you're going for. We all know it's easy to love those who are lovable and difficult to love those who aren't, or who have hurt us or threaten us in some way. The exercise is to pull forth out of ourselves true feelings of selflessness in regard to other beings and to see them as we see ourselves; wanting happiness and the cessation of suffering.

One way I do this is by imagining a person's most embarrassing moment, or imaging them as a child. There are many techniques you can use to conjure feelings of compassion for others. Once you start deliberately doing this everything inside you changes. You start to feel much more confident and alive. Your hope soars. Everything changes.

And once you know how to do this for others you can start doing it for yourself. You're not separate form others and you deserve your own love and compassion as much as the next person. Remember, equanimity, loving all beings including yourself, equally.

I'm sending you a big, gentle hug to reinforce the message and to let you know that you're loved.

Brigid
  • edited June 2006
    I've always liked American Beauty for it's Buddhist undertones and references to enlightenment by the young man in the movie.
  • edited June 2006
    Celebrin wrote:
    umm i don't try to love them cus they cant and they dont feel comfortable doing it.. i wudnt knwo where to start.. as for other ppl i can do that i think.. and i dont hate anyone.. andn im not ridiculing them im just saying its a problem most likely through bad parenting

What I found was difficult when I first addressed the issuses with my family was getting beyond my resentment of not getting my needs met by them. This led to resentiment, which means I felt the same anger and rage (or whatever I felt) everytime I sensed my needs were ignored or not met.

I found to things helpful:

transformation meditations as I posted here-
    http://www.buddhachat.org/forum/showthread.php?t=362&page=6

Also writing letters to them of how I felt they didn't meet my needs and how it makes me feel, I then read them to myself as if they were there in the same room. (You might want to have a friend with you, it is a powerful exercise.)
    Best of luck!!

By the way, I thought this said movies?:confused:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Iawa wrote:
    What I found was difficult when I first addressed the issuses with my family was getting beyond my resentment of not getting my needs met by them. This led to resentiment, which means I felt the same anger and rage (or whatever I felt) everytime I sensed my needs were ignored or not met.

I found to things helpful:

transformation meditations as I posted here-
    http://www.buddhachat.org/forum/showthread.php?t=362&page=6

Also writing letters to them of how I felt they didn't meet my needs and how it makes me feel, I then read them to myself as if they were there in the same room. (You might want to have a friend with you, it is a powerful exercise.)
    Best of luck!!

By the way, I thought this said movies?:confused:

In the end, we learn that we have been walking in a dream; our 'needs' will not be met by someone outside ourselves. Indeed, we may come to realise that much of what we deem to be needs are 'optional extras'. Once we have understood that the function of parents is to give birth, feed and house until old enough and then to go, all else becomes luxury.
  • edited June 2006

In the end, we learn that we have been walking in a dream; our 'needs' will not be met by someone outside ourselves. Indeed, we may come to realise that much of what we deem to be needs are 'optional extras'. Once we have understood that the function of parents is to give birth, feed and house until old enough and then to go, all else becomes luxury.

Nice conclusion! Thanks.