Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I Need Your Vegetarian Menu & Your Reasons for Becoming Vegetarian

yamadayamada Veteran
edited July 2012 in Diet & Habits
Let's share your DAILY menu and the reasons that make you become vegetarian!
I find it difficult to be vegetarian. My body feel weak if i only eat vegetables

Comments

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Here is a pretty extensive list of high iron foods, and some menu suggestions at the bottom http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm and these foods are high in protein http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

You may want to consider incorporating a protein supplement, too.

I'm not a vegetarian personally, a life without bacon is no life at all in my view :p I just have an interest in nutrition.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited July 2012
    The first important concept is that vegetarianism definitely does not mean eating only vegetables.

Most well-balanced meals have a starch, vegetable(s), a protein, and hopefully fruit(s). Vegetarians simply use a non-meat protein.

Common non-meat sources of protein are:

*wheat gluten (seitan, veggieburger, etc.)
    *tofu
    *beans
    *nuts
    *seeds
    *eggs
    *cheese
    *milk
    *lentils
    *yogurt
    *whey
    *spinach (and other protein-rich veggies)

That's just a start--you can use the above ingredients to prepare delicious, satisfying proteins for your meal. Wheat gluten, especially, can satisfy the "I need something meaty" craving; if you have a wheat allergy, many tofus can do the same.

Here's a fun article and slideshow from HuffPo showing some proteins in order of protein-ness:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/24/vegetarian-protein-sources_n_1539928.html
  • SileSile Veteran
    Forgot to answer your request for reasons--mine are:

1. I don't want to kill animals, and feel no need to (since I was raised veggie)
    2. I like the taste and texture of non-meat protein better

I respect that most new vegetarians will be dealing with 1) fear of malnutrition and 2) cravings for meat. I have an unfair advantage in both departments, since my upbringing proved to me meat is not necessary for good (great) health, and left me with no meat cravings.

• yamadayamada Veteran
    @RebeccaS : thanks, very useful :D

@Sile :
    whether a vegetarian might consume eggs and milk? anyone tell me that I should not eat eggs because it just the same as killing embryo and drink milk same as torturing cows.
    I really don't like tofu :( if egg and milk are allowed it will be helpful for me.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Animal by-products are avoided on a vegan diet, not a vegetarian.

As for torturing cows, this is not so. They actually need milking! :) So I wouldn't worry about that. If your concerns are about "battery" cows, try and source some local milk.

Also, avoid foods with gelatin - like candy. Gelatin is an animal product, so read your labels. :)
  • Made this the other night and served with basmati rice. Very good. Make sure you rinse both lentils and rice until water runs clear- a couple of minutes at least.

Serves 8
    2 cups red lentils
    1 large onion, diced
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons red curry paste
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon white sugar
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon ginger root, minced
    1 (14.25 ounce) can tomato puree

Directions
    1. Wash the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear (this is very important or the lentils will get "scummy"), put the lentils in a pot with water to cover and simmer covered until lentils tender (add more water if necessary). Takes about 10 minutes.
    2. While the lentils are cooking: In a large skillet or saucepan, caramelize the onions in vegetable oil.
    3. While the onions are cooking, combine the curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, salt, sugar, garlic, and ginger in a mixing bowl. Mix well. When the onions are cooked, add the curry mixture to the onions and cook over a high heat stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.
    4. Stir in the tomato puree and reduce heat, allow the curry base to simmer until the lentils are ready.
    5. When the lentils are tender drain them briefly (they should have absorbed most of the water but you don't want the curry to be too sloppy). Mix the curry base into the lentils and serve immediately.

Nutritional Information (without rice)

Amount Per Serving Calories: 192 | Total Fat: 2.6g | Cholesterol: 0mg
  • SileSile Veteran
    @RebeccaS : thanks, very useful :D

@Sile :
    whether a vegetarian might consume eggs and milk? anyone tell me that I should not eat eggs because it just the same as killing embryo and drink milk same as torturing cows.
    I really don't like tofu :( if egg and milk are allowed it will be helpful for me.
    Some vegetarians avoid eggs and milk, some don't. Vegans avoid honey and other animal-derived products as well.

If the eggs aren't fertilized, there's no embryo to kill. It's important to eat healthy eggs, though, from chickens which are fed a proper diet (i.e. flaxseed, instead of corn/soy). And if you can find "kind eggs" (eggs from chickens you know have a good life), so much the better! Several friends I know now have "urban chickens," and the coops are pretty darn luxurious. The chickens seem quite happy. You can tell happy chickens if you watch them for a while - their feathers are dry and fluffy, and they don't behave frantically (most of the time), and they settle into their little nests sort of lazily, instead of running in and out making a lot of noise.

Organic milk, again from cows fed a proper diet (corn is not a proper diet for cows), is a decent way to go.

If you have a co-op nearby, that's usually a great place to start--ask about their sources for eggs and milk.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    I was a heavy blue meat eater until doing my first lay term at a Zen Buddhist monastery. There I trained with 50 + monks who had pretty physical lives and didn't seem adversely affected by being vegetarian. Thinking deeply of the ways and means by which my food arrived, made vegetarianism seem like a less harm inducing way of living.
    I'm a telemark skier, expedition kayaker and balance my sedentary sitting times with gym time and have never felt weaker for my vegetarian diet.
    I just try to keep variety in my meal choices as others here have mentioned.
  • yamadayamada Veteran
    @RebeccaS : OMG! you are right! They actually need milking! LOL. How stupid i am! :eek2: :eek2:
    Thanks for reminding me about gelatin! I almost forgot. :p

@Lamaramadindong : ouch,you make me hungry at night! hahaha. It looks really yummyyyy! I can't wait to try it on weekends. :clap: i am waiting for the other yummy menu and if possible, you can share with picture.hehe :crazy:

@Sile : you are so lucky! I took great effort to become vegetarian :rockon:
  • yamadayamada Veteran
    @how : wow! what is your most favourite vegetarian menu? :)
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    There are pro athletes who are vegetarian, and even vegan and they do just fine :) I try to remind myself of that on the days I make myself not eat meat and hear myself arguing that I need it to maintain muscle.

Most egg farms these days do not house hens and roosters together, so the eggs are not at risk of being fertilized. We buy our eggs at farmer's markets from local people, and find them to be so much better in quality (taste and how they look) than store bought that I can't even buy them from the store anymore. Thank goodness my husband works with one of the people who sells eggs, so we can still get them in winter when there are no markets. On the days I don't eat meat, eggs and a protein shake provide all my protein for a day.

To answer the OP's post, I am not actually 100% vegetarian by any means. One day, I would like to be but for now I'm just trying to learn vegetarian dishes and cooking, and I have 2-3 days a week where I don't eat meat, and figure that in time I'll be able to expand them. I cannot eat too much dairy and very little wheat, so I have to be a little creative. Quinoa is an excellent source of protein, and very versatile. I love to have it as a hot breakfast with some fruit in it. Wild rice is also a decent source of protein and better for your insulin production than white or even brown rice.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Curry's are my speciality meal so I'm prejudiced. Siles views pretty much parallel mine and would be my advise for a balanced Vegetarian diet.
  • @yamada ive been vegetarian for 24 years (on thursday! -since birth!) so have never had to give up meat, cant really sympathise!! But i would be interested to know if you went 'cold turkey' (hee hee)? Or if you cut down gradually? It really is easy being veggie these days, i live off "quorn" -UK only? All the supermarkets here do plenty of meat alternatives that are often cheaper than the "real" thing!! if you can get hold of it, it will really help your diet as far as iron and protein go, as they are fortified with nutrients that veggies typically lack. my typical sunday morning breakfast?
    Scrambled happy eggs (2)
    Veggie sausages (2)
    Veggie bacon (2 slices)
    Toast
    hash brown
    Beans

all better for you than eating the "real" thing. I was raised veggie by my parents but chpse to stick to it, and its now a major moral issue for me (but youll be glad to know i dont go preaching...!)
    good luck, keep it up :-) x
    @how OH CURRIES! Oh I love curries so much. The best curry I've had was in an Indian restaurant in Nederland, Colorado...coincidently run by a woman from Minnesota which is where I live. I don't know if I've ever had a straight up veggie curry. Care to share a recipe?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I'm not strictly veg but I only eat a small amount of meat 1-3 days a week, I can't always bring food from home to eat at work and the veg selection at most restaurants is terrible.

I don't like eating meat because of the factory farm conditions most animals live in and the environmental effects from raising and feeding so many animals.

Here are a few of my favorite veggie recipies atm.

http://www.everyday-vegetarian-recipes.com/vegetable-tagine.html This one takes a while to prepare and cook but very tasty.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/skillet_gnocchi_with_chard_white_beans.html This is a big comfort food style dish. I add a bit of salt to the dish or else its too bland for me.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chilaquiles_casserole.html And this, so easy to make and so delicious, I will also brown some fake chicken and add it for some added texture.

If you can take the time to cook from home there are so many really tasty vegetarian options out there.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Karasti

The easiest Curry's are where your choice of cooking oil carries the curry flavours.

Currys can be an all day affair but this is a fast, simple, tasty one, that our friends ask for by name and with rice is enough for four with leftovers.
    To the largest frying pan you have, add a cup of oil. Yup, I only promise good taste, not personal longevity!
    3 cloves of garlic minced so fine it's paste (try crushing it with the sliding flat edge of a large cooking knife on a cutting board and put in the pan.
    Sprinkle a 3/4 teaspoon of salt over the garlic and use a spatula to grind together in the pan with oil.
    Heat up the oil and then add a teaspoon of dried chilly pepper flakes, coriander, cumin,
    Before any of the minced garlic heat discolours to brown (bitters), add 1/2 of a large diced onion and cook.

Separately 3/4 cook (nuke them ) 2 skinned and diced potatoes,
    2 handfuls of bite sized cauliflower,
    and similar volumes of carrots & broccoli and add to the cooking frying pan.
    a large can of washed, precooked and drained chick peas.
    The grated skin of 1/2 of a lemon
    a large can of diced tomatoes (drained of excess water)
    a small can of tomato paste.
    3 tablespoons of sour cream
    Cook for as long as your 3/4 nuked veg's need to be done.

Total prep and cooking time is 45 minutes when you know what you are doing.

The flavour can be made hotter at this point with a teaspoon of chilly sauce additive or cooler with more sour cream. If the sour base is too dominant add a bit of syrup.

Its a curry that embraces sweet & sour, creamy & tart and tolerates many substitutions once the base is mastered.

Enjoy.
  • I've recently become a vegan, and I must say that daiya cheese is awesome.

As for my meals, they haven't changed all that much - I just substitute things. There's vegan butter, cream cheese, soy milk - so many options.

Here's a useful forum: http://www.reddit.com/r/veganrecipes/
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2012
    The "New 4 Food Groups" is a good guide that I use. I've been vegan for 20 years and have not had any problems. :)http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vsk/vegetarian-starter-kit-new-four-food-groups

In order to not feel "weak". Your diet needs to be balanced. It needs fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes. If you eat only vegetables, you are missing 3/4 of a proper diet! Of course, "normal" vegetarian typically also includes dairy and perhaps eggs. "Pure" vegetarian does not.

As for why. It's just the ethical way to live. To live without causing unnecessary suffering or death to other sentient beings. It's a matter of respect for the lives of these other living beings. :)
    Animal by-products are avoided on a vegan diet, not a vegetarian.
    As for torturing cows, this is not so. They actually need milking! :) So I wouldn't worry about that. If your concerns are about "battery" cows, try and source some local milk.
    It entirely depends on what kind of farm you are talking about. Many dairy cows are pumped full of hormones, artificially inseminated and kept pregnant for their entire lifespan, which is often shortened by something like 20 years. Their babies are taken from them and not allowed to suckle. The male babies are normally sold off to a veal operation because they are useless in producing milk. So veal normally equals a dairy cow baby...

On any given day, there are more than 8 million cows on U.S. dairy farms—about 14 million fewer than there were in 1950. Yet milk production has continued to increase, from 116 billion pounds of milk per year in 1950 to 170 billion pounds in 2004. Normally, these animals would produce only enough milk to meet the needs of their calves (around 16 pounds per day), but genetic manipulation, antibiotics, and hormones are used to force each cow to produce more than 18,000 pounds of milk each year (an average of 50 pounds per day).

This could easily be considered torture for a cow. :) Over 60% of milk produced in the US comes from cows in a concentrated animal feeding operation (CAFO). AKA factory farm. The "Happy Cows come from California" dairy commercial... is a flat out lie. :) 30+% of organic milk is not much better with regards to how the animals are treated and kept. 30+% of organic milk is now produced in a CAFO. The only difference is they don't use hormones or crap animal feed, the animals are not necessarily treated any better.

The same goes with many "free range" eggs, at least in the USA. Europe is quite different than the USA. Many "free range" chickens in the US, actually lead miserable and pathetic lives despite the deliberately disingenuous "free range" label.

• I am raw vegan, which means I only eat raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. A typical menu for a day might be...

Freshly made kale & lime with grapefruit quarters. (1.5 litres) x 2 a day.

A spinach, cucumber, celery, coriander, parsley, lemon juice, ginger, chili pepper, hemp seed, flax seed, spirulina, wheatgrass, and banana smoothie. (3 litres) x 2 a day.

Various seasonal fresh fruits through the day. At the moment I am eating a lot of cherries.

Almonds, dried dates, dried figs to snack on.

... but this is just a sample day, and it can change a lot, with different smoothies and fruits, and sometimes I can't be bothered with the kale juice because it is not so palatable. I experiment a lot with my diet. In January I ate only bananas for the whole month - 30 a day. That was interesting. I also like to fast.

All of this enhances my spiritual practice massively. I could not recommend a raw vegan diet enough. You will gain a clear, focused, concentrated mind, abundant clean energy, heightened inspiration and creativity, emotional stability, a feeling of happiness... and you will look amazing.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    2. I like the taste and texture of non-meat protein better
    Quorn is nice...[drool]
    :D
  • Personally I dislike quorn but I do like tofu.

I've been vegetarian all my life (45 years) so don't feel cravings for meat. Eating enough protein without too much fat is the biggest problem (nuts etc are very high in both, curries (which I love) are, at least in restaurants, loaded with fat too)

Because I work out at the gym 5 times a week I find I have to use protein supplements in order to maintain and recover - even without gaining extra muscle.

Typical weekday menu - breakfast cornflakes/branflakes or toast, then a protein shake when I get to work, Lunch is two handfulls of mixed nuts and fruit and possibly a wholemeal roll for carbs, during the afternoon I will have a couple of oatmeal biscuits if hungry. Then if a gym day I have another protein shake before my workout. My main evening meal is usually either a quorn burger (grilled) with cous-cous and salad, or a stir-fry with vegetables, tofu, wholegrain rice and a shop bought sauce. Be careful here - a lot of them contain fish or shrimp. I also eat a lot of fresh fruit at various times during the day. At weekends I tend to eat a little less healthily and retain 'treats' for weekends only.
  • Oh - and my wife makes a great and simple curry using:
    1 tin chick peas
    about a pint of spinach leaves
    1 jar curry sauce.

Boil it up and eat - takes about ten minutes!
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I mostly do a lot of veggie stir frys with sesame oil (I have a nicely seasoned cast iron pan as well that requires less oil, if I so choose). The ingredients include whatever I have around, but usually: asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli, onion, garlic, kale, etc.

On the flip side, I make frequent fruit smoothies that usually have: kefir, frozen banana, half an apple, strawberries, mixed berries, protein powder, crushed flax seed powder, antioxidant green powder, water...

I eat a lot of fresh stuff too... cucumbers and the like, I like to graze. Hummus is another thing I eat frequently. Salads. Soups very often in the winter. I think I'm pretty uninspired, lol, but I don't mind.

Oh, also, I freakin love the Boca Spicy Chick'n patties, but I try not to eat too much spicy food, haha. But they are delicious on a bagel bun with ranch... for when I'm craving something crappy like fast food, lol.
  • SileSile Veteran
    Oh - and my wife makes a great and simple curry using:
    1 tin chick peas
    about a pint of spinach leaves
    1 jar curry sauce.

Boil it up and eat - takes about ten minutes!
    Great recipe, @BigD - thanks for this!

• yamadayamada Veteran
    @Sallylou :unfortunately I live in Indonesia. the majority in here are muslims, so vegetarian is not so vibrant here. Quorn is not sold in all supermarkets, it seems it's only available in ranch market in Indonesia. It took 3-4 hours to go to ranch market from my home. There have been several vegetarian restaurant that opened in city center but the price is 2 times more expensive than the 'real' meat menu! hahaha. Probably because of their raw materials must be imported from abroad but I don't know. :crazy:

So I prefer to cook themselves, of course I can only cook with vegetables instead of veggie meat. :D

You are so lucky, Sallylou! I become want to stay in the UK! :D maybe Prince Harry will marry me. LOL. :rolleyes:
  • yamadayamada Veteran
    For All : glad to read all the recipes! :) thanks
    I hope there're many more recipes that can be shared. Particularly the simple recipe. Chinese recipes are so welcomed. I like Chinese food because I am chinese indonesian.hehe. Raw materials Chinese cuisine is also quite easy to find here. I hope you share your favorite recipe, do not tell me to find on the internet, because I do not know which is good . i prefer ur experience.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited July 2012
    This is how my friends' dad made the best bok choi I have ever had:

1. Wash and chop a head of bok choi
    2. Heat 3-4 tablespoons peanut oil VERY hot
    3. Smash several garlic cloves, once each, with heavy knife handle and add to oil
    4. Fry on high heat until garlic starts to brown (and kids are shouting, "Too hot, Dad!!")
    5. Ignore children about 30 more seconds, then add bok choi
    6. Stir-fry 2 minutes or less
    7. Turn off heat, add handful of salt, and pour 1-2 cups cold water over everything

It makes an absolutely fantastic thin, salty, garlicky-oily broth which coats each piece of 'choi...perfection.

I've still never gotten it right, but to this day I keep striving for Dr. Lian's Magical Bok Choi.

• yamadayamada Veteran
    WHOAAAAA!!! I really like it! I felt already smell the yummy stir-fry of your recipe. I almost forgot to cook it. thanks for the reminder. :P

4. Fry on high heat until garlic starts to brown (and kids are shouting, "Too hot, Dad!!")
    LOL! it's really the hallmark of Chinese cooking :D
  • SileSile Veteran
    WHOAAAAA!!! I really like it! I felt already smell the yummy stir-fry of your recipe. I almost forgot to cook it. thanks for the reminder. :P

LOL! it's really the hallmark of Chinese cooking :D
    I have to agree - when my own Dad was done cooking, the entire kitchen was always completely spattered ;) But there was *no* cooking like his. (He's not Chinese but was raised there).

• I'm a vegetarian even though I hate it. :) I miss bacon and steak and burgers and chicken and everything haha. My friends also constantly give me crap, even though that doesn't bother me too much. (I went to a burger joint with some friends and I ordered grilled cheese; you can only imagine the taunting that ensued XD) I'm not gay, but I imagine being an athletic dude and telling your muscular, sporty friends that you're a vegetarian is somewhat similar to coming out; atleast, it feels that way to me sometimes. People do actually think you're weird for it.

Thank Buddha for brands like Quorn, Boca, and Morningstar for making meat substitutes that taste similar to the foods I barely ever get to eat, but love and miss dearly.

I became a vegetarian after reading a talk given by a monk about why he follows the Buddha's feelings on eating meat. I realized that even though I thought I was done with religion, I still was holding onto a bit of Christianity I once had by continuing to eat meat. In that religion we are taught humans are the center of the earth, and we can do whatever we want with the animals. I was eating meat because I disregarded the emotions of other animals due to blind faith. No sentient beings should have to die in order for you to maintain living in this day and age.

I'm not completely vegetarian, as I follow the Buddha's guideline. I only eat meat when it has not been killed for my sake. I can't buy meat, or order something in a restaurant with meat in it, but I can eat it if the family's house I'm at is serving a meat dish. (The meat was never intended to feed me at purchase, but I am there now so they are feeding me)
    I maybe eat a dish with meat in it every few months in this scenario.

I miss meat, but I hope I'll never be able to change my mind about being a vegetarian. I try to make the usual dishes that contain meat, but substitute with the mock up meats from the brand I listed above. It definitely helps boost morale.

• yamadayamada Veteran
    No sentient beings should have to die in order for you to maintain living in this day and age.
    your words made me realize. That's exactly right! I want to be vegetarian again soon after i read it. thanks lostlight! i wish you never lost your dhamma light, hehe
    :D
    You don't find you get sick going months without eating meat hen returning to it? My sister was vegetarian for several years, and within a few months of being vegetarian, she had problems digesting meat and got really sick if she ate anything meat. She had to ease back into it when she decided to add it back into her diet.