Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Things you need to know

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited August 2012 in General Banter
There are 99 things you need to know:

1) There are more than 99 things you need to know

2) Nobody knows how many things there are to know

3) It's more than three

4) There's no way of knowing how many things you need to know

5) Some of the things you need to know are things you already know

6) Some of the things you need to know are things you only think you know

7) Some of the things you need to know are things you used to know, and then forgot

8) Some of the things you need to know are are things you only thought you forgot, and actually still know.

9) Some of the things you need to know are things you need to know but don't really know you need to know.

10) Some of the things you need to know are things you don't yet know you need to know.

11) Some of the things you think you need to know are things you probably don't really need to know.

12) Some of the things you need to know are only known by people you don't know

13) Some of the things you need to know are things nobody knows

14) Some of the things you need to know are things that are un-knowable

15) Some of the things you need to know are things that can only be imagined

16) At any time, the list of things you need to know can be abruptly suspended.

---George Carlin

Comments

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Hahahah amazing. I love George Carlin. Grew up listening to a lot of his stuff, I can say for certain that he helped steer my life in a positive direction. What a great man.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    .... I can say for certain that he helped steer my life in a positive direction....
    ...How do you know....?

:D

• IMO -
    George Carlin was very funny and very relevant at one time. But the last decade of his life and his career? Not so much.
    His humor turned ugly and mean-spirited and his personality bitter and antagonistic. He passed a very unhappy, angry man.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    @MaryAnne...The fight with the Ego can continue to the very end.
    I really dont know how his mentality was when he passed away.
    Men get grumpier it seems, the closer to death. lolololol.

His expression with words were not everyone's taste, that's for sure.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    IMO -
    George Carlin was very funny and very relevant at one time. But the last decade of his life and his career? Not so much.
    His humor turned ugly and mean-spirited and his personality bitter and antagonistic. He passed a very unhappy, angry man.
    Unlike many of you here, I still remember George Carlin from the summer series starring John Davidson way back in 1966 (?). I remember Carlin playing the "hippy dippy weatherman". As he did his HBO specials, I almost always watched, but I got into a habit of turning off each special after about 40 minutes. The first 40 minutes would be fine, but then that bitterness and antagonism would come in during the last 10-15 minutes...and I don't watch programs to wallow in bitterness and antagonism. And just how hip was Carlin? Not sure. Some of it was a persona. After all, he did guest on a 1976 Perry Como special with a somewhat sanitized "7 Dirty Words" segment, and a not very funny Captain Kidd skit. Even sanitized, the "7 Dirty Words" segment was hilarious.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    He shook up many of our conventional views and brought much insight through comedy to many that might not have otherwise listened.
    His work made him a great teacher in my eyes.