Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anyone a Christian still?

leahncleahnc Explorer
edited August 2012 in Faith & Religion
His Holiness states, “People from different traditions should keep their own, rather than change.”

Just curious if anyone is still Christian?

Buddhism has helped me a great deal with mental illness (Diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder & recurrent clinical depression) Buddhism has helped me more than anything else Ive tried.....

I feel Buddhism helped me so much with my mental illness because it gave me the tools to help myself instead of "believing & praying that I would be healed & get better" I am literally a changed person

With regards to my faith, Ive become sort of agnostic in the past year - after a life of strong Christian faith.

Sephlobster

Comments

• I am going into Buddhism as a philosophy and keeping my faith in God and Christ. I've always believed in God and Jesus but a lot of what is in the Bible I don't take literally and I don't agree with.

I have severe anxiety very severe and Buddhism has been helping me a lot with that. There are numerous books out there that mix Buddhism and Christianity and it is definitely possible to be both
    leahnclobsterIndigoBlueSky9
  • leahncleahnc Explorer
    Thank you OmManiPadmeHum!! Anxiety is tough! I have anxiety as well - severe at times.

I have been hung up on being a "good" Catholic & it causes my OCD to resurface if Im not careful.....

Thank you again for replying!!
  • leahncleahnc Explorer
    edited August 2012
    Thanks Seph - I appreciate your reply!! Were you able to move past Christianity quickly or was it a long process for you? Ill check out your blog posts. Thank you
  • SephSeph Veteran
    leahnc said:

With regards to my faith, Ive become sort of agnostic in the past year - after a life of strong Christian faith.

btw, leahnc, I think there's alot to be said about agnosticism.
    I think there's a great wisdom within it. Doubt is not the opposite of faith. Certainity is.
    I've aways said, I would rather have a Faithful Doubt than a Doubtful Faith.
    leahncIndigoBlueSky9
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Yes, I have one foot in Christianity and one foot in Buddhism. I find wisdom in both. In fact, a bit like Seph, I find Jesus and Buddha (and others) good, wise teachers.
    IndigoBlueSky9
  • leahnc said:

Thank you OmManiPadmeHum!! Anxiety is tough! I have anxiety as well - severe at times.

I have been hung up on being a "good" Catholic & it causes my OCD to resurface if Im not careful.....

Thank you again for replying!!

That makes sense and I hear a lot of that from people. I finally reached the point in my faith where I don't really hold onto religious guilt anymore.

I've reached the point where I realized each individual person needs to find their own beliefs and I've totally accepted my own personal beliefs and accepted that while they are perfect for me other people might have different beliefs.

My anxiety is very severe over medical issues. I've struggled with it for over 18 years now. I've done medications, positive thinking. So far nothing has helped. But meditation has started helping me in a big way.
    leahncFullCircle
  • SephSeph Veteran
    edited August 2012
    vinlyn said:

Yes, I have one foot in Christianity and one foot in Buddhism. I find wisdom in both. In fact, a bit like Seph, I find Jesus and Buddha (and others) good, wise teachers.

@vinlyn
    thumbs up!
    :)

• SephSeph Veteran
    edited August 2012
    leahnc said:

Thanks Seph - I appreciate your reply!! Were you able to move past Christianity quickly or was it a long process for you? Ill check out your blog posts. Thank you

Moving past Christianity was, in an odd sort of way, both a quick and a long process.
    Ironically enough a friend of mine (a Baptist Pastor - my friend, not my pastor) when he quit (he's no longer a preacher) gave his final sermon (and it was AWESOME!) in a strange kind of way gave me "permission" to step outside - to become what I have become; a spiritual sojourner. (He didn't have any sort of authority, but it was a clean and refreshing perspective that helped me).

It was a very long process. I suppose it began nearly 25 years ago when my mother died. That was the catalyst that began me on this journey. I was seeking answers - which I found in abundance! It wasn't the answers that were the difficult part of this journey. It was that the questions kept changing.

It has only been very recently that everything seems to be falling into place.
    (I know this part will sound silly) but the journey I have enjoyed in martial arts to beconing a Black Belt was instumental. And that got me to explore Taoism and Buddhism in more depth.

You know, it's funny how this conversation come up now. (I personally don't believe in coincidence). I have been recently giving alot of thought into attempting to put a blog post together sort of "mapping" out my journey and progress - area and ideas that didn't work and that complicated 'web' of influences that have. I know this might seem completely unrelated, but I have been seeing my acupuncturist for the past 18 months now (for asthma - I've been asthma-free, inhaler-free, and Flo-Vent-free for a year now!) Even this entire concept of Qi has played a part in this.
    .... lots of thoughts....
    leahnc
  • Yeah I'm the same - a bit of both. I'm all for Jesus :lol: I just prefer the Buddhist approach. I also suffered from severe anxiety, to the point that it was debilitating, but I got over it with meditation. I haven't had a panic attack in months, I used to have them a few times a day. Definitely stick with the practice :)
  • SephSeph Veteran
    Okay, @RebeccaS has mentioned meditation and OmManiPadmeHum and leahnc have al least indirectly alluded to it.
    Here's my problem. I'm somewhat of a non-institituionalist. I've picked up a few meditation 'habits'. There are a few from my Taekwon-do training.

Anyone have any direct advice in regards to meditation?
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @seph I don't know really. There are so many techniques and I vary the practice depending on my mood and where I am. It's a cool thing to explore, there are so many techniques to play around with. Some people swear by certain kinds, and may only do one type of practice, I think depending on the school of Buddhism, but I would really just try different techniques and see what you like.
  • @Seph I find walking meditation extremely wonderful for me during panic attacks. As a whole walking is calming because it forces your body to take in more air rather than when you are sitting down and panicking.

In walking meditation? You really just have to walk in a circle (small or large) outside or inside and keep your breathing even and focus on the feeling of the ground/carpet/dirt beneath your feet. Focus on that feeling and keep that focus. If your attention wanders? Just bring it back.

I agree with Rebecca find some books on meditation or even some websites and just try different kinds and see what works for you

@Seph I find walking meditation extremely wonderful for me during panic attacks. As a whole walking is calming because it forces your body to take in more air rather than when you are sitting down and panicking.

In walking meditation? You really just have to walk in a circle (small or large) outside or inside and keep your breathing even and focus on the feeling of the ground/carpet/dirt beneath your feet. Focus on that feeling and keep that focus. If your attention wanders? Just bring it back.

I agree with Rebecca find some books on meditation or even some websites and just try different kinds and see what works for you

I guess that's sort of what I tend to do, although I don't think of it as meditation. I think of it more as walking mindfulness, designed to focus all my energy on some one particular topic.

• SephSeph Veteran

@Seph I find walking meditation extremely wonderful for me during panic attacks. As a whole walking is calming because it forces your body to take in more air rather than when you are sitting down and panicking.

I'm right with you on this one.
    In Taekwon-do it's called Jung-Joong-Dong and can touch upon mindfulness.

I practice this form of mediation ("stillness in motion") either when I practice my tuls (patterns) or simply though walking.
  • Yes, I'm an Orthodox Christian after having been a Buddhist for 20 years, and I suffer from social anxiety disorder, but now I'm being healed. Before Buddhism I was a secularist with no faith, and I rejected Western Christianity. After my conversion to Orthodoxy I still carried animosity towards the attitudes of most Christians I had previously encountered, but thankfully that is being healed as well. My heart is being opened, and I'm beginning to have compassion for them.
    lobster
  • SephSeph Veteran
    leahnc said:

I think it was a trip my family and I took to visit relative in England in the summer of 2008. We camped out on the Yorkshire Dales and I have a profound experience.
    I wrote about it in Masks.
  • leahncleahnc Explorer
    I do not sit & meditate. I practice mindfulness.

I think the biggest tool that has helped me is realizing that my reaction to lifes circumstances is 100% controlled by me. If something or someone upsets me - I generally have great clarity in the moment that my reaction determines the future & if I react negatively, my day will suck. lol.... Im a work in progress but at least im moving in the right direction.
  • Seph said:

I practice this form of mediation ("stillness in motion") either when I practice my tuls (patterns) or simply though walking.
    oh! that's very interesting that its practiced in Taekwon-do! Thank you for the information!
  • @seph I'd love to hear more about your acupuncture experience. It's something I've been looking into but can't find a lot of in depth info.
  • SephSeph Veteran

Seph said:

oh! that's very interesting that its practiced in Taekwon-do! Thank you for the information!
    Let's be careful here. I cannot honesty say that those who practice Taekwon-do also necessarily practice this. (It is also true that some may unknowingly practice Jung-Joong-Dong when practicing their tuls).

Jung-Joong-Dong is mentioned in Jungshin Sooyang (Moral Culture)> (Which is a core philosophy behind Taekwon-do).

I would love to say that I have 'extracted' it and made use of it. (There is some degree of truth to this), but on the same note, I don't want to come off as pretentious. Let's just say I believe it is there for those who seek it.

It has been my experience that Jung-Joong-Dong (used through the patterns) as well as mindfulness can (and has for me) helped chase away Fear.
  • SephSeph Veteran
    @seph I'd love to hear more about your acupuncture experience. It's something I've been looking into but can't find a lot of in depth info.
    I have had more than one experience with acupuncture; both good and bad, but ultimately, I learned from them both.

Years ago (what? 30 years ago?) I smoked heavily. I know I had to quit but I couldn't. I tried everything. Nothing worked for any length of time.
    I tried hypnotism, and it worked for a few weeks, but ultimately it failed. I also tried acupuncture through this same pyschologist which I tried hypnotism. It failed too.
    I went to a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) doctor and tried acupuncture again. It was one session for one hour and it completely and permanently cured my addiction to smoking once and for all.

Fast forward 28-1/2 years later and my asthma is controlled by Flo-Vent. Basically a localized steroid. It is inhaled daily - regardless of whether one is suffering from an attack or not. That's what the regular inhaler is for. The Flo-Vent works great. (Although it was expensive). However, its side effects were severe. Prolong use (which is what you do when you rely on Flo-Vent to control your breathing) will cause liver and kidney damage.

That's when I decided to try acupuncture. (My advice is to find a legitimate practicener, specifically a doctor in TCM. I discovered that you can get a weekend - or several weekend - course to get your 'papers' to officially offer the service of acupuncture. I think that's what I faced years ago when the pyschologist attempted acupuncture and failed. My current acupuncturist did 5 years in university (China I think) not to mention years of experience).

I did two session a week for the first month. Then one session a week for the second month. Then one session a month for the next 3 months. Now I continue seeing her on a monthly basis but not for asthma. Mixed throughout this treatment was also a few different 'perscriptions' of teas. All of which were aweful in taste but fantastic in levels of energy and well-being. (You might like to check out Lessons of a Tea Connoisseur, but be warned. It isn't for the lighthearted).

My TCM Dr. has told me that my asthma is cured. Yes, that's right. She used the word 'cured'. Strong word. But I'm willing wait and see. It's been 18 months and I haven't used inhalers of any kind nor had need for it. (And that included my brutal 3-1/2 hour testing for my Black Belt in Feb.) At this point I cannot argue with her. I believe I'm cured.

I find this interesting. I have a friend in my Taekwon-do class whose a self-proclaimed athiest and gives me a hard time. Telling me all this acupuncture stuff is hocus-pocus and of no substance. I simply tell him that the facts stand for themselves. I cannot help but believe in Qi. Not only because of acupuncture but because I have experienced it in other areas as well.

I am so convinced of (legitimate) acupuncture that I'll see her when I catch a cold or flu even.
    The experience itself is one of the singularly most relaxing things ever. (Truth be known I usually fall asleep during the acupuncture appointment. I try to use certain meditation and mental excersises to keep my mind awake and focused but they never work. I always fall asleep... :(

I'm sorry if I've rambled on here. I hope it helps.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    I was born and raised to be Roman Catholic but after several years of thought exercises I found myself not believing in god. It started with me doubting the validity of the divinity of Jesus and the virgin birth at at a young age and progressed from there into my currently (I'm 35) absolute "faith" that there is no god. I am definitely not a Christian anymore. Jesus was a cool dude though :)
    Brian said:

... Jesus was a cool dude though :)

Just curious...why?

• I think it is a question of theology and experience. God isn't an abstract idea, but known personally through the heart. :)

Is anybody familiar with the Rainbow Body Phenomenon? It is a Tibetan Buddhist belief. It might make you think differently about matter, and how things you thought wouldn't be possible just might be. Basically, it is believed to be the manifestation at death of the clear light in highly realized beings where in some reported cases the body shrinks down to a very minuscule size or completely disappears leaving only hair and nails behind.

Here is an excellent lecture on the topic given by a Roman Catholic priest/Tibetan Buddhist scholar if interested. Very fascinating. noetic.org/library/audio-lectures/the-rainbow-body-phenomenon-with-father-francis-ti/

• vinlyn said:

Brian said:

... Jesus was a cool dude though :)

Just curious...why?

Personally for me its because Jesus was everything most modern Christians aren't. Jesus hung out with all the people that modern Christians look down upon (and I've seen it personally)

Jesus hung out with the pagans, prostitutes, and the dregs of society. There wasn't anyone he didn't call a friend.

Too me he was a cool dude and epic as hell
    lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    leahnc said:

I've given up being an athiest - does that make me a born-again agnostic? :p
  • As kid I considered myself Lutheran. Only because I was told, that that was what "we are" in my family. Christianity didn't take up much space, but I was taught to say a simple prayer before night time. To begin with, I didn't even know it was a prayer - my grandfather just said "now we say thank you for today" and when I asked my mom she said it was a good thing to do. I tried it, but honestly I didn't really feel any change. The day hadn't been better and the next wasn't worse when I did it or forgot.

Growing older, I realized what the idea was. My experience told me that it didn't matter. I was still afraid of mu thoughts about God though - I was walking the dog, and suddenly compulsive, blaspheme (however childish) thoughts arose in my mind. Soon I decided, that if there was a God he would know I didn't mean it.

As I grew, more and more of my superstitions disappeared. I'm very curious of nature, and I read about everything and have always done that. I respected and respect skill and knowledge more than anything and strive to expand that within myself. My personal experiences coupled with the things I read from the people I looked up to - scientists mostly - simply lead me to the conclusion that either there is no such thing as God or else it simply has no influence over our lives.
    The whole system and cosmology of religion constantly loosing to new, better explanations by science made me really doubt religion - at the same time hundreds of religions claimed "truth" and condemned each other. Some ruled out this scripture, others that. And none of them ever had a precise prediction about anything.

I knew that I had abandoned God. I was up to no good and would be punished. The punishment never came - much as anticipated. Once again, God was ruled out.
    What did influence my life, was other people and my own actions. No prayer in the world changed a fraction of what real action did.
    No one harmed or helped other people more than other people.

God exists - in our minds only. The influence he has is directly proportionate with the actions the mind initiates based on the God idea.
    music
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    I don't think I've ever been Christian "by the book", but by the heart? I'd like to think so. Jesus/Yeshua spoke from a place that most people can't go, from a heart that most people will never realize, but I think that's the true heart of life. We should strive more toward realizing that heart than toward holding to beliefs that keep us separated.
  • SephSeph Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I've learned to "see" (or maybe believe) in God in a very different way.
    I see God more akin of what the Tao is.

I see God as less or an individual superpowerful being but more of a possibly mindless force. I see God a being more symbiotic with our lives - all life ( or should I say Life - Zoe).

Maybe a better way for me to explain it would be to tie it into the acupuncturist concept of Qi. A vital life energy that flows within my body. My concept of God would be the same except that this source of Qi would be the vital energy that flows within the universe. I'm told that this Qi within our bodies cannot be measured or seen under a microscope (which normally would at least cause me to raise a skeptical eyebrow), but I cannot argue with the results I have experienced with acupuncture. I have no problem accepting the possibility of this same sort of energy that permeates the universe.

For this concept of a 'God' could very easily have traits of both theism and atheism.
    I do not have problem accepting that this same universal Qi could find itself concentrated at points or even manifest itself in limited avatar-like forms; possibly even conscious people.

This is what I currently 'hold' onto as my concept of God. But let me make one thing clear. It is not something that I go out into the world and "sell" or "pitch" or proselytize.
    To me the theistic/atheistic argument is asking the wrong question. Mu.
    Ultimately, I believe the core reason or goal behind any or all of our Belief-Systems are Solace and Compassion. Not becoming a 'good' person. (We already are innately good people - I buy into the doctrine of Original Sin). Not getting our ticket to Heaven. (Not convinced there even is a heaven of the afterlife). These desires make (most Christians) Spiritual Hedonists. It is completely self-serving. There is a difference between Compassion and Pity is a counterfeit compassion.

Regardless whether you agree with me or not, or whether what I believe is correct or not, there's one thing for certain. I have moved beyond Christianity. The concept of God that I hold onto is definitely not a Judao-Christian one.
    person
  • @seph That's amazing! Seriously, wow. Thanks for sharing, that's so interesting. I'm definitely going to try it, but I'll look for a "TCM". We have a huge Chinese community where I live so there should definitely be someone. Thanks again :)
  • Seph said:

I've learned to "see" (or maybe believe) in God in a very different way.
    I see God more akin of what the Tao is.

I see God as less or an individual superpowerful being but more of a possibly mindless force. I see God a being more symbiotic with our lives - all life ( or should I say Life - Zoe).

Maybe a better way for me to explain it would be to tie it into the acupuncturist concept of Qi. A vital life energy that flows within my body. My concept of God would be the same except that this source of Qi would be the vital energy that flows within the universe. I'm told that this Qi within our bodies cannot be measured or seen under a microscope (which normally would at least cause me to raise a skeptical eyebrow), but I cannot argue with the results I have experienced with acupuncture. I have no problem accepting the possibility of this same sort of energy that permeates the universe.

For this concept of a 'God' could very easily have traits of both theism and atheism.
    I do not have problem accepting that this same universal Qi could find itself concentrated at points or even manifest itself in limited avatar-like forms; possibly even conscious people.

This is what I currently 'hold' onto as my concept of God. But let me make one thing clear. It is not something that I go out into the world and "sell" or "pitch" or proselytize.
    To me the theistic/atheistic argument is asking the wrong question. Mu.
    Ultimately, I believe the core reason or goal behind any or all of our Belief-Systems are Solace and Compassion. Not becoming a 'good' person. (We already are innately good people - I buy into the doctrine of Original Sin). Not getting our ticket to Heaven. (Not convinced there even is a heaven of the afterlife). These desires make (most Christians) Spiritual Hedonists. It is completely self-serving. There is a difference between Compassion and Pity is a counterfeit compassion.

Regardless whether you agree with me or not, or whether what I believe is correct or not, there's one thing for certain. I have moved beyond Christianity. The concept of God that I hold onto is definitely not a Judao-Christian one.

Like Anton LaVey defines "a/the godly" in The Satanic Bible. He calls it Satan because he says that's what Christians would call it - a force permeating all of the universe, destructive, creating, changing, driving life.
  • @Seph

Hi Seph,

You might be interested to know that your understanding of God is more akin to Eastern Orthodox Christianity. More so than of those traditions found in the West. The tradition in the East is very different, and its theology has been consistent and passed down through the centuries unchanged. The bedrock of which other than Christ of course is her monasticism.

If you are looking for new innovations or reductionism you can be find it in the West. Even the Roman Catholic Church hasn't been impervious. They are in the processing of attempting to revert back to some of the more ancient traditions after abandoning them.

We Orthodox believe that the fullness of faith is to be found in the Church of the East, but we also recognize that the Holy Spirit is not solely contained there. However, we aren't going to change our theology. Look at the West and that is where you see the results of changes.

As an aside, most “Christians” outside my faith who I come in contact with hold my faith with suspicion and a lot of the times think we are cult, but I knew that by converting I would be stigmatized and thrown in with these 1,000's of other Christian faiths and there various theologies as being just another Christian too.

God's Essence is beyond the realm of terms, uncreated, without change, infinite, incomprehensible, simple, and aware etc... As a Buddhist I'm sure this sounds very familiar to you.

We can only know God through His uncreated energies, and it is in Him we move, live, and have our being. We are careful not to reflect our human qualities on Him in attempts to understand Him. Even the word “He” is pushing it.

The Holy Trinity is the crucifix of the mind if you know what I mean. The quintessential Koan.:)

Not all Christians are the same and in a lot of cases are worlds apart. I have more in common with Buddhist. For me personally, I would never have converted to these other forms, and I'm very thankful at having been a Buddhist. It has given me a solid foundation in helping me grow in my faith.

Thanks.
  • SephSeph Veteran
    RebeccaS said:

@seph That's amazing! Seriously, wow. Thanks for sharing, that's so interesting. I'm definitely going to try it, but I'll look for a "TCM". We have a huge Chinese community where I live so there should definitely be someone. Thanks again :)

Awesome! Sounds like in your luck!
  • SephSeph Veteran

Like Anton LaVey defines "a/the godly" in The Satanic Bible. He calls it Satan because he says that's what Christians would call it - a force permeating all of the universe, destructive, creating, changing, driving life.

You've lost me here.
    Are you saying that Anton LaVey's definition of God is the same as my defintion of God? Or that my definition of God is the same a Anton LaVey's definition of Satan?
    (...or that what my definition of God is what Christians would call Satan?...)

...huh?...

• SephSeph Veteran
    @Silouan
    I am aware of Eastern Orthodox theology, although I cannot say I've experienced it first hand.
    I have always been a fan of their concept of Theosis much more and better than Calvinism or Arminianism (which, imho, are really both the same thing but from two different temporal points of view). My problem has always been that I don't accept that we are innately born sinners. (I would have been a Universalist if it wasn't for that! ;)
    Silouan said:

@Seph
    ... As a Buddhist I'm sure this sounds very familiar to you.

I know this is completely on a tangent, but you assume I'm a Buddhist?
    That's interesting. I'm not saying I'm not. I just don't self-identify that way.
    Maybe I'm an anonymous-Buddhist.
  • Well I'm not a Christian anymore..though I technically am a Christian, but not in the religious sense haha. (I wonder who can get this)
    Buddhism is about bettering oneself while deity religions are about worshiping something someone else told you about (though there is some community service done that I respect). I figured if Christianity was real then I'd get a chance for redemption like Jesus said anyway, so I might as well go full Buddhist and try to make as respectable a person for this life as possible. Learn to love oneself before you try to love others.
    LostLight said:

Buddhism is about bettering oneself while deity religions are about worshiping something someone else told you about...

You really can't simply either religion into one phrase each. Both have multiple things they are "about".

RebeccaSSilouan
  • SephSeph Veteran
    LostLight said:

... deity religions are about worshiping something someone else told you about (though there is some community service done that I respect).

Although I think this often happens and is the case it is not necessarily true.
    Personally I have always questioned and doubted many 'divine truths' I have been brought up with and taught. However, having said that, I have several first hand experiences that I cannot easily explain away - some of which leave me unconfortable with simply writing off the concept of a God. I cannot deny my experiences.
    Not everybody "worships" (not sure that's the right word here..) only what someone else has told them.
    Silouan
  • Seph said:

You've lost me here.
    Are you saying that Anton LaVey's definition of God is the same as my defintion of God? Or that my definition of God is the same a Anton LaVey's definition of Satan?
    (...or that what my definition of God is what Christians would call Satan?...)

...huh?...

More or less all of it ;)
    Your def = Anton's def = Satan (because that's what Christians would call Satan/They would call you a Satanist for believing so - thereby implying you worship Satan)

It's LaVey's logic, anyway :)
  • @Seph

Hi Seph,

I should not have assumed that you were a Buddhist. Please forgive me.

As Orthodox we believe that we are innately good, but that we have an inclination toward sin because our pride is dominant. Sin is not seen in a juridical manner, but as thoughts and actions that distance us from God. Theosis requires self emptying.

You mentioned Tao so you might be interested in this four part recorded lecture series given recently by Hieromonk Damascene, an Orthodox Priest and Monk, called Christ the Eternal Tao.

ancientfaith.com/specials/christ_the_eternal_tao

Its in a relation to a book he wrote of the same name. It covers philosophical Tao and fulfillment in Christ, the Orthodox Christian world view, and watchfulness and prayer. Its packed with a lot of material, and I listen to it often. I pick up more each time :)
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    I was raised Catholic, and came very close to becoming a Franciscan priest; Catholicism, and Christianity had indeed failed me. Buddhism completed that missing part that was missing from me; taken by the Christian faith, and replaced with a very perverted, hateful and prejeduced philosophy.
  • @JohnG
    It was the opposite for me. I was raised a secularist, and came very close to becoming a Buddhist monk. However, Buddhism didn't fail me, but helped me become an Eastern Orthodox Christian. On a similar note Western Christendom was never a possibility for me either.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    I'm still a Christian in the sense that I believe Jesus was a real man and was a great teacher/prophet, but I don't believe in the Abrahamic God and, thus, don't believe Jesus was divine.

So technically no.
  • I really admire both Jesus and the Buddha as wonderful, spiritual teachers. I actually took a course at my university called "Jesus and the Buddha," and it was refreshing to see the similarities (and differences) between the teachings. A book that we read for the class was "Jesus and the Buddha: Parallel Sayings" by Marcus Borg. It's a great read, and it shed some light on some things!

Best of luck to you on your journey :)
  • I was raised in the Roman Catholic Religion and went through many of the rituals including my marriage while under that religion. However I no longer practice since I do not believe in a physical being that is called God, and I do not accept Jesus as my savior. So in that sense I am no longer a Christian.

I have come to the understanding that an energy exists in all things and that all things exist in this energy, and that only I can truly save myself; that I and I alone am responsible for all my thoughts and all my actions.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    My problem has only ever been with the Old Testament, with the God portrayed there... you get into certain parts where you think, this can't possibly be an actual god that's hiding in a tent having humans burn offerings? Etc.

When Jesus spoke of God, he seemed to be speaking of something else, though within the context of his Jewish heritage. Perhaps he was enlightened and was speaking of the Dharmakaya that is our one true father (that we only separate ourselves from when we separate ourselves from each other). I've never had any problem with Jesus and look to him as a role model (along with the Buddha).
    person
  • We in the Orthodox Church believe that that Essence of God is uncreated, beyond the realm of terms, without defining characteristics, unfathomable, etc... We experience him through his uncreated energies. It is in Him we move, live and have our being. To refer the term "He or Him" to his Essence and Energy really is not adequate though, but we are limited by language, and we do recognize that. God is spirit.

We believe Christ comprises both the divine and human natures in His single being. For us to reduce him to creature would be more akin to Muslims, the Jehovah Witness movement, or Arianism from the early centuries of Church history.

I definitely had my own theology on the matter prior to converting to Orthodoxy, but the Holy Trinity is the crucifix of my mind.

Also, a very influential bridge book in my conversion was from Buddhism was "Living Buddha, Living Christ" by Thich Nhat Hanh.
  • We also believe Truth is not just an abstract idea, sought and known by the mind, but something personal, even a person, sought and loved by the heart.

Fr. Seraphim Rose, and American Orthodox Christian monk and priest, who reposed in early 1980 describes the person as follows:

“The truth of a person is always more than the person himself knows and always more than anyone else knows. Created in the image of God, human beings have an inherent transcendence. The soul is a mystery.”
    leahnc
  • Oh yeah. Can't stand the Old Testament. Not keen on the book of Revelations, either in NT. Some churches don't even bother with OT anymore and I can totally get behind that, but they get flack from more traditional churches.

The whole Christianity thing is just too much drama for me :lol: