Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

spider season

graceleegracelee Veteran
edited August 2012 in Buddhism Basics
In the UK it is the beginning of spider season.

I just killed a spider.... I don't want to keep killing spiders but i don't know what else to do!!

I am incredibly phobic of spiders... I have over time trained myself if i can to put a glass over the offending creature. but once ive done that the poor little thing will die anyway because i cant get close enough to take it outside...

I am so afraid of spiders i cannot sleep/relax unless I know the spider is outside or........ erm..... dead (unfortunately my partner is the same)

any advice??

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I feel the same about snakes, and killed on today. If in the wild, they're free to roam. But when they are around the house they sometimes get in our window wells...and then I have to pay someone to come and take them out. I feel somewhat bad, but I accept the karma.
  • They make a contraption like a vacuum that sucks the insect/spider into a container that you can then take outside to release it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bugzooka-Bug-Catcher-Vacuum/dp/B000PWD6SQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1346458702&sr=8-8&keywords=insect+vacuum
    taiyakiBeej
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Hi, gracelee, how are you doing? Nice to see you around.

If you put a glass over it, get a piece of thin cardboard, and slide it under the glass, maintaining pressure between the glass and the cardboard. Have a window open already. Extend your hands (with glass, etc.) out of the window, quickly remove cardboard, shake glass so spider falls out onto the ground. If you can't handle that, just drop the whole contraption out the window onto the ground (assuming there's grass or soil, so glass won't break). It's good to have paper cups handy for this.

This is good for smaller spiders. If it's bigger and seriously scary, just scream and beat it with a broom.
    karasti
  • a snake flew at me once but it only bit my pants and it was intense! hmm spiders usually aren't a big deal, try talking to them to calm you down. also, remember a spider bite won't kill ya! also i found this online, apparently you just need ladybugs!! ..." Order ladybugs and drop them off in your yard. Make sure that you walk around the perimeter of your home, leaving a trail of ladybugs as you go. Ladybugs will not kill the spiders, but they will help to take care of the bug population that spiders are coming near your house to prey upon. If the food supply of the spider is taken out, the spiders will go elsewhere."

but where do you order ladybugs? who sells ladybugs? LOL!

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    A few trips to a psychologist or therapist should do the trick. A psych once told me phobias are one of the easiest mental issues to resolve...
  • People who don't have the phobia don't understand how horrifying the thought of nearness is, so saying spiders aren't a big deal doesn't really help. It's nothing to do with bites or real danger it's completely irrational. I've been afraid of them all my life but since moving to the country where we get inundated at this time of year I've become a little better at dealing with them.
    You can desensitise yourself by looking at and touching photographs of them, then handling the littlest ones. But it takes time and patience.
    I have a catcher like a cup with a sliding door which works well if they are in the right position, but the big ones often move too fast. The vacuum cleaner has claimed most of them.
    evolve
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    We live in a place where for some reason, spiders seem to outnumber the human residents... on the outside of my house, facing west, we currently have - wait for it - 76 spiders, (probably, therefore, a lot more!) all in their webs, picking up the midges, craneflies, mayflies, mosquitoes, flies and small moths. (yes, we live very near water....)

Some, not so small actually.... the tiniest spiders float like specks on gossamer threads, carried by the breeze.... sometimes the swallows and swifts get them, I'm sure.... The largest, sit there like menacing, silent monsters, just waiting for some poor, unsuspecting flying creature to pay them a visit.....

You have to live with them.

Killing them really, isn't logical.
    VastmindKangaroo
  • @federica I grew up on the water. I know from experience that spiders like us, love the waterfront view.
  • evolve said:

a snake flew at me once

Snakes can't fly!! :)
    RebeccaSevolve
  • Killing them isn't logical, except for the venomous black widows that lived in rather large numbers my basement. It's a bad karmic hit, but I don't live with venomous creatures inside my house. Sorry, I'm just funny that way.
    ^^ Much agreed! Although I expand that from "I don't live with venomous creatures inside my house" to "I don't live with creatures that can harm me inside my house", venomous or not.
  • Spider's are our friends; be nice to them and you won't wake up in a shroud of spider silk. :coffee:
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    any advice??
    Have some compassion for the spiders and recognise that being phobic is your problem, not theirs.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    My advice is to not kill them! Get some books about spiders, with lots of pictures. Then go watch a 2 hour documentary on the discovery channel that is all about spiders. Take a trip to a natural history museum and ask to see all the spiders. Become more educated about them, learn about them and how they live. There are plenty of articles and videos to help people overcome this irrational fear. :) Most involve the activity of "Systematic Desensitization" which will cure a fear of spiders so you don't have to kill all of them. :)http://suite101.com/article/systematic-desensitization-and-phobia-treatment-a141826

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    gracelee said:

any advice??

Get some psychological help to overcome the phobia. Seriously. Otherwise you are going to go through your entire life horribly afraid of the hairy eight-legged monsters, not to mention accumulating bad karma by killing them.
    As someone else said above, psychologists treat phobias all the time, it takes time but it's a well understood process.
  • How about taking a family of spiders out to lunch?
    :o
  • I took a trip to myrtle beach in S Carolina where we visited a state park with a swamp housing gators. Among the trees on the perimeter of the swamp there where banana spiders the size of my 4 yo sons hand, hanging off huge webs. Hundreds of them. I'm usually pretty phobic of spiders, but seeing them here, so close and at arms length, was very therapeutic for me. I could study them and marvel at the fact that there were really quite beautiful. I think a lot of the fear for me comes out of seeing them when you least expect it. the spider in the pic here I think is unusually large. image
    Kangaroo
    ^^ When I see a spider or a snake "out in nature", or for that matter bears, foxes, deer, or antelope (all of which we have had in my neighborhood here in Colorado)...that's mine. That doesn't mean I want them in my house.
  • I don't want to sound harsh, but why are people making a big fuss about killing bugs? I can understand the hesitancy in killing a cat or cow, but bugs? Bugs and reptiles deserve no compassion.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Could you clarify as to why not?

(By the way, I have owned and bred reptiles and I strongly resent that remark....)
    Perhaps he draws the line at sentience at a different point.
    Isn't that our perpetual dilemma?
    Where do you draw the 'sentience' line...?

And more's the point, why?
    What gives us that right?
  • chanratt said:

I took a trip to myrtle beach in S Carolina where we visited a state park with a swamp housing gators. Among the trees on the perimeter of the swamp there where banana spiders the size of my 4 yo sons hand, hanging off huge webs. Hundreds of them. I'm usually pretty phobic of spiders, but seeing them here, so close and at arms length, was very therapeutic for me. I could study them and marvel at the fact that there were really quite beautiful. I think a lot of the fear for me comes out of seeing them when you least expect it. the spider in the pic here I think is unusually large. image

Ok, I don't have a spider 'phobia' - though I'm not crazy for them... but that picture?? Totally freaks me out! LOL

:eek:
    federica said:

Isn't that our perpetual dilemma?
    Where do you draw the 'sentience' line...?

And more's the point, why?
    What gives us that right?

I'm not sure it's about having the "right", as much as it is deciding how to make such decisions based on the 5 Precepts.

You don't want to kill spiders. Okay. Do you take an antibiotic when you're sick? That kills a life form. Do you put Clorox in your washer when doing whites? That kills life forms. Do you wash your kitchen counter top occasionally with a disinfectant cleaner? That kills life forms.

We have to decide -- as individuals -- where that line is.

mfranzdorf
    yeah, but....,'reptiles'....?
    I can't equate with people feeling comfortable with killing them..... :bawl:
    federica said:

Depends on the situation. As I said previously, a snake in or immediately around my house...dead. Anywhere else...be happy.

What about the invasive pythons in the Everglades that are changing the whole environment? Or the invasive and very poisonous brown tree snakes in Guam?

Whose fault is the Everglades invasion? Human beings. Pythons are not indigenous to the Everglades.
    Why is a snake killable simply because it's venomous?
    Some humans would, with that argument, merit a similar fate....
    Beejkarasti
    federica said:

Whose fault is the Everglades invasion? Human beings. Pythons are not indigenous to the Everglades.
    Why is a snake killable simply because it's venomous?
    Some humans would, with that argument, merit a similar fate....

What's the difference now, whose fault pythons in the Everglades are? They're there, and there rapidly killing native species.

And your standard, for you, is fine.

But everyone else may not have the same standard. Which of course, brings us back to my favorite topic (not that I want to discuss it again) that the Precepts are just guidelines, so there are no hard and fast rules.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Being a native of sunny Florida my suggestion is/has always been, the humans
    should bear the cost of re-locating them. Thats who put them there.
    Lets just start from there.
    No, I have no idea how to enforce that, And very limited ideas of the rest of
    the red tape.
    Beej
    Vastminds said:

Being a native of sunny Florida my suggestion is/has always been, the humans
    should bear the cost of re-locating them. Thats who put them there.
    Lets just start from there.
    No, I have no idea how to enforce that, And very limited ideas of the rest of
    the red tape.

Well...that sounds nice...in a very vague way. But I didn't transport pythons to Florida. Why should I have to pay? And -- while someone may not like the solution -- "we" do pay to solve the problem...through our taxes.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I agree...that's what the red tape is. :)

It would just help the pythons, us, and all the enviroment and animals
    to agree that it's on 'us'......decide who's jurisdiction that 'us' is, and
    lets get our reptile friends back home. Just saying.
    The taxes and etc, is yes....the mess.
    Accountability is not as hard as it sounds.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    Vastminds said:

I agree. Acountablility isn't as hard as it sounds. That's all I really have to say about that.

:)
    Vastminds said:

I agree...that's what the red tape is. :)

It would just help the pythons, us, and all the enviroment and animals
    to agree that it's on 'us'......decide who's jurisdiction that 'us' is, and
    lets get our reptile friends back home. Just saying.
    The taxes and etc, is yes....the mess.

Of course, that assumes the country of origin wants additional snakes!

Vastmind
    It goes back to the point of sale. Microchip the animal.
    Sorted.
    First, the thousands already there aren't micro-chipped and can't be identified.

Second, many are former pets bought here in the U.S.

Third, we just can't force snakes back to other countries.
    edited September 2012
    That's what I'm saying. "Out of the Norm" animals and exotic creatures should be micro-chipped at point of sale and a central register should be held. A re-sale of an animal should also be reported, so that the animal can be kept track of. They do it with pedigree dogs, so I don't see why it should be any more difficult for any other animal....
    Responsible reptile sellers tend to sell captive/home bred reptiles, and ones taken from the wild should be banned. we know well enough how to breed virtually every animal on the planet, so importing species shouldn't be necessary.

People should be better educated about the animals they buy, and sellers should take responsibility for 'vetting' potential buyers - exactly the way rescue centres do for cats, dogs and other domestic pets.
    This general cavalier attitude towards this situation is appalling and frankly, horrifying.
    Vastmind
  • federica said:

As a mammal, I have an instinctive fear of reptiles. I suspect that is so with the majority of humans. Very few like or tolerate reptiles, or want them as pets.
    Fine.
    but killing them - just because they're reptiles?
    We have to decide -- as individuals -- where that line is.
    It seems a bit arbitrary though - for example in some countries dogs are doted on as pets and treated like one of the family, in other countries they are just something to eat.
    IMO the better approach is one of trying not to harm any living creature, which seems to be more consistent with the spirit of the precepts and with developing compassion and wisdom.
    federica
  • federica said:

Fine.

They are dangerous.

• If I can see it I plain simply don't kill it , I feel awful killing anything no matter how small .....
    Maybe if myself or babies lives were in danger I may feel differently but that would be the only reason ......
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    music said:

I don't want to sound harsh, but why are people making a big fuss about killing bugs? I can understand the hesitancy in killing a cat or cow, but bugs? Bugs and reptiles deserve no compassion.

Because Buddhism teaches that they do deserve compassion. :)

Some reptiles might be dangerous if you go to try and pet them on the head, but if you look at the big picture, human beings are actually more dangerous than reptiles IMO. I've never seen an alligator drop an atom bomb on a city. I've never seen an alligator dump toxic waste in a river killing everything that drinks it. I've never seen a group of alligators dump 200 million gallons of oil in the ocean. If we are to kill off dangerous animals, human beings should be at the top of the list! :)
    seeker242 said:

...if you look at the big picture, human beings are actually more dangerous than reptiles IMO.

Absolutely. Have you seen that film "The day the earth stood still"? ;)
    music said:

federica said:

Fine.

They are dangerous.

That remark is so ignorant I'm not even going to quantify it with a reasoned response.
    How idiotic....
    :skeptic:
  • I can not abide bugs. Can't bear them.

If something was poisonous or harmful I'd kill it without hesitation - even if it couldn't kill me it could kill my cats.

So I get my husband to let spiders out while I find high ground :lol:
    MaryAnnepoptart
  • edited September 2012
    federica said:

music said:

federica said:

Fine.

They are dangerous.

That remark is so ignorant I'm not even going to quantify it with a reasoned response.
    How idiotic....
    :skeptic:

I am sorry you feel this way. But there is no evidence in scripture that killing a reptile is wrong from a karmic or dharmic point of view.
    First Precept - Do No Harm. (where does it say "Oh by the way though, if you want to kill reptiles because you're hiding behind the wildly inaccurate and blinkered opinion that 'they're dangerous' go ahead, we'll let you off on that one...."

No, intentional harm is wrong, and nowhere does it quantify what you should not be harming, so it doesn't work by exclusion either.
    D'uh! :banghead:
  • I
    federica said:

First Precept - Do No Harm. (where does it say "Oh by the way though, if you want to kill reptiles because you're hiding behind the wildly inaccurate and blinkered opinion that 'they're dangerous' go ahead, we'll let you off on that one...."

No, intentional harm is wrong, and nowhere does it quantify what you should not be harming, so it doesn't work by exclusion either.
    D'uh! :banghead:

Logically, we can only apply this precept to humans and perhaps intelligent animals to an extent. We can take this precept too far and start demanding non-aggression toward tapeworms, ants, or even germs. That would be impractical.
    If they're doing you no harm, there's no point in killing them, is there?
    Killing should be an absolutely 'no other choice' last resort, not a primary option.

Why 'Logically'? Why do you suppose, simply because they can't read shakespeare, that any other animals of your selective choice, are less deserving of life simply because, by your narrow definition, they're not 'intelligent'...?
    You need to do a little more research and 'soul-searching' because something is definitely awry with your logic.
  • My point is, one doesn't have to make an issue out of this. If you dont want to kill, don't kill. If you want to kill, do it. It is too insignificant an issue, so 'overthinking' it will do no good. It has no relevance to Buddhism either way.