Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Difficulty with lotus position

edited September 2012 in Meditation
I've been trying to meditate in the lotus position recently, and I can get into the actual position without any difficulty, but it seems to cut off the blood supply to my feet. After about 20 minutes, my left foot in particular turns slightly purple, and has no sensation at all... I can pinch it hard and not feel anything. Anybody else had this problem, will it get better over time?

Comments

• You don't have to meditate in the lotus position and if it's uncomfortable you shouldn't. I don't like the sound of what you describe, sounds like you're cutting off the circulation. Maybe you should stop doing it?
    OneLifeForm
  • What @poptart said.

As I understand meditation, it's not about sitting positions. The important thing is that you can sit still in a COMFORTABLE position, or even lie down in a comfortable position. You'll be in that position for a somewhat long time. If you are physically uncomfortable while meditating, then it's not really meditating.
  • I agree.... you can do damage to blood vessels and muscle/tissues when cutting off blood supply like that for any length of time. Besides, don't you get those awful "pins and needles" in your foot when you stand up?? :eek:

There are many things you can try if you want to sit in more traditional meditation poses- you can raise your backside UP off the floor several inches by way of a meditation stool, or a large, plump pillow.
    You can sit full lotus on a thick mat or even an air mattress (takes pressure off joints, and blood vessels). You can sit FL on a bed, too.
    I knew someone who used one of those low, beach/sand chairs, (about 6" off the floor) and used a small pillow on the back half of the seat to give them that "tilt" forward, and it worked well for them, although I think they sat half-lotus, which is another option....

• Haha that is an excellent suggestion :) I agree that it's not really a big deal, but a lot of teachers suggest the lotus position as the ideal posture and I'd like to keep at it if it wouldn't involve my feet being amputated ;) I actually am using a meditation cushion thingie (zafu?) on a soft mat already.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    This is a good place to get answers to posture questions.

http://www.wildmind.org/posture