Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why do we (USA) have so many prisoners?

jlljll Veteran
edited September 2012 in General Banter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

US has the highest number of per capita prisoners. why?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Because, far more than some countries, we are a nation of laws...but we overdo it.
  • chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I believe it has a lot to do with money and the Capitalist ideal of Free Market.

Dukkha is good for the economy but bad for people.
  • charirama said:

I believe it has a lot to do with money and the Capitalist ideal of Free Market.

What does people in prison have to do with capitalism? Not sure how you are making that connection.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Because of the drug war...the failed drug war... Instead of drug addicts getting some kind of help or treatment, they are just sent to jail...sounds like a great plan!...
    MaryAnne
  • Broadly, more mandatory sentences, longer sentences, tendency away from concurrent sentences, less support in prison, tougher securing parole and release, funding structure in legal support, less judicial discretion, more rigid legal system, undeveloped system of equity, more conservative less-informed population, big country, policy to reduce violent crime, war on drugs, police state

In the main it's the mandatory, long sentences and less judicial discretion both in sentencnig and parole / release that keeps more people in prison in the US.

More shocking still are the statistics on minorities in prison.
    SilepersonNomaDBuddha
  • There are several reasons for this. One is the attitude of strict law and order; unfortunatly there's no definition on 'who's' law and who's order. These are the same people who elect our judges, and panel our juries. People who 'preach' the christian view of forgivness, but only if it's their the one's who are to be forgiving. I've been a cop for a little over 25 years now; and seen a great many thing's. Recently here in Luzerne county had the dishonour of living through a nightmare; several judges have been convicted of sending (purposly) hundreds of juviniles to private detention facilities, in the sum of several million dollars. One particular for writing on a stop sign, she spent two years in a juvinile detention center where the judges where stock holders. Before she was on the honors list, now, she's barley getting through the basic courses. They are now serving federal time; but, a great many people decry this and demand their relase because the did God's will.

How to counter this? simple, don't listen to the simple;don't permit only their voice beomg heard! Go out and create change. As long as no one counters the prevalent belief of "putting them in jail and throw away the key" or my favorite "when 'I" was this age I worked ten hour day's" ; we're only going to have an ever worse nation.

I have until June 13, for retirment; hopefully I'll make it.
    Jeffreyperson
  • jll said:

I think it is a number of reasons.

1. Rather than taking the time and money to fix social issues, it is easier to lock people away. Criminalize a behavior to lock up the people that do it out of our society. On a more conspiracy note, criminalize your opponent's (political, socio-economical, etc) behavior and then lock your opponents up.

2. A higher level of privatization of the prison system, means that the more people in jail the more money there is to be made. (to @charirama 's point)

3. The prison system is an environment that encourages (if not forces through threat of violence) its inhabitant to become like those in prison. This increases the likelihood that they will return.

4. There are very few truly effective re-assimilation programs. Thus people fall back into their old habits and are more likely to return to prison.

5. Drugs. Drugs are mainly used to self-medicate and/or related to addiction. Locking people up for drug offenses is misguided and a very costly (socially and economically) mistake to society. We take people who need help and put them in an environment that encourages them to become (more) violent.

There are probably many other reasons... but these are what I have found in my research. Different prison systems are different, but in general this tends to be the case. My partner used to write letters to prisoners all over the country and gained an incredible amount of insight. This led me to want to understand why our prison system was so broken. IMHO, prison is a cruel and unusual punishment (do some research on locking people up, it used to be considered a form of torture). The people involved in the penal system KNOW that prisoners are subject to violence, rape, death, etc: locking people away knowing this occurs is cruel and unusual. There will never be a perfect system, and some people may never be "fit" for society; however, this doesn't mean they should EVER be treated them as are.

JeffreyMaryAnneperson
    Zero said:

Broadly, more mandatory sentences, longer sentences, tendency away from concurrent sentences, less support in prison, tougher securing parole and release, funding structure in legal support, less judicial discretion, more rigid legal system, undeveloped system of equity, more conservative less-informed population, big country, policy to reduce violent crime, war on drugs, police state

In the main it's the mandatory, long sentences and less judicial discretion both in sentencnig and parole / release that keeps more people in prison in the US.

More shocking still are the statistics on minorities in prison.

I think your point about less judicial discretion is a good one...although I can understand that after seeing such gross miscarriages of justice over the years.

• vinlyn said:

I think your point about less judicial discretion is a good one...although I can understand that after seeing such gross miscarriages of justice over the years.

staple legal quandary - sure there'll be a fair few law students scratching their noggins over it... ;)
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Probably because it is the richest country out there. When you have a plenitude of things that give nutriment to tanha and defilement, bad things happen.
  • I figured it would be a good thing, the high numbers I mean. Surely it just means we're catching more criminals?
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I think the overall problem goes far deeper than our sentencing laws and such. It goes down to a societal level and not simply "why are so many people in prison/jail" but "why are so many people committing crimes that land them in jail/prison." Part of that is our drug law. Much of it is the problem of uneven distribution of resources. (not accounting of course for the people who are in prison and are not guilty).

When you look at the stats, for federal prison, about 50% of the people there, are there for drug offenses. In state prisons, 20% of them are drug offenses. A lot of those people need help, not punishment (overall not just those in for drug crimes) but as a society we are more interested in hiding the "riff raff" than helping them. Of course, some of that comes down to people wanting the help, and wanting to change. If they don't want it no amount of making them change will help.

The answer is, it's a very complex answer. The war between the haves and the havenots affects our prison population greatly. In addition to the things everyone else has said, of course.

Jeffreyperson
    I think that we need to remember that it's very easy for us to sit in front of our computer screens in our homes and complain about America's legal justice system. But it's a lot more difficult to come up with workable solution, especially because the issues have developed over many years. It's sort of like when our neighbor remodeled an old barn into a house over a 20 year period...it looked kind of odd, particularly as compared to when a home builder can just start from scratch.

@Seeker242 mentions the drug war (as he puts it "the failed drug war" and getting drug addicts help and/or treatment, rather than just sending them to jail. Sounds good on the surface. But, you have to remember that this is somewhat of a democracy, and the society doesn't seem willing to vote funds for that...particularly after some rather notorious failures in such programs. For example, New York State's methadone program of many years ago. And --and I know this from experience based on what happened to a number of my students -- that many first (and even more) offenses are virtually ignored in terms of any jail time, and that in many states early offenders are provided with counseling or ordered to participate in help programs...at their expense...not the general public's expense.

@JohnG hit the nail on the head. If anyone really wants to change the criminal justice system in the U.S., then you've got to get directly involved and begin a concrete political change going. Who of you here are doing that?

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Part of the reason is because prisons are profitable for the people who run them, and we have harsh drugs laws that help to fill them. Looking at the statistics, my immediate suspicion is that the 'war on drugs' is little more than a war on minorities and the poor used mainly to funnel massive amounts of people and money into an increasingly privatized, for-profit prison system, as well as into federal and state run institutions that siphon off taxpayer dollars. It's a big business, and many communities are actually building their economy around local prisons.

In my opinion, drug use should be treated as a health issue rather than a criminal one. For one, prohibition exacerbates the problem by creating a black market that generates obscene profits for those involved in the production, transportation, and sale of these 'illegal' substances. We've seen it with alcohol in the 1920s; and drugs are no different. In addition, decriminalization policies elsewhere have shown positive results. In Portugal, for example, their decriminalization policy has lead to a dramatic drop in street drug related deaths from overdoses, as well as in the rate of new HIV infections from sharing dirty needles. Instead of going to jail, these people "are going to treatment centers and they're learning how to control their drug usage or getting off drugs entirely."

The evidence is clear, in my opinion: the war on drugs is bullshit. As a recent report from the Global Commission on Drug Policy concludes:
    Political leaders and public figures should have the courage to articulate publicly what many of them acknowledge privately: that the evidence overwhelmingly demonstrates that repressive strategies will not solve the drug problem, and that the war on drugs has not, and cannot, be won. Governments do have the power to pursue a mix of policies that are appropriate to their own situation, and manage the problems caused by drug markets and drug use in a way that has a much more positive impact on the level of related crime, as well as social and health harms.
    MaryAnnepersonmusicseeker242
    Here at least, people can go through (voluntarily or court ordered) state funded treatment programs at little to no cost to them. My ex did it twice, but the problem with the way it worked was, his family had him put into treatment, it was not his choice and as a result the treatment did not stick because he didn't want to change. The problems of why people become and wish to remain drug and alcohol addicted is a problem off our society. State programs of course aren't nearly as nice as private programs, but with a cost of up to $1800 per day for months at a time, private programs are pretty hard to afford if you don't have insurance.

I don't see anything wrong with discussing things, even if you refer to it as complaining. When people discuss, it's what brings problems to the forefront and allows people to consider options when they are voting.
  • RebeccaS said:

I figured it would be a good thing, the high numbers I mean. Surely it just means we're catching more criminals?

There was a study that considered number of police:number of crimes - they doubled the number of police and roughly doubled the amount of crime.

It does mean you're catching and segregating more criminals.

At first glance this appears wholly desirable - less and less so the more one considers its facets...
    Zero said:

RebeccaS said:

I figured it would be a good thing, the high numbers I mean. Surely it just means we're catching more criminals?

There was a study that considered number of police:number of crimes - they doubled the number of police and roughly doubled the amount of crime.

It does mean you're catching and segregating more criminals.

At first glance this appears wholly desirable - less and less so the more one considers its facets...
    To some extent, Rebecca's point is well taken. I actually was thinking of this when this thread first appeared. I thought about Thailand, where I have spent a great deal of time. The rate of incarceration there is less than half of the U.S. And I'm not at all surprised. The rate of bribery in advance of police action there is horrendous, obvious, and well-known, not to mention the rate of bribery after police action, which is just as horrendous, obvious, and well-known.

I'm a pretty honest guy, and here in the States wouldn't think of bribery. But when in Thailand when I was out driving, I always had a little Thai cash stashed obviously in my passport pouch in case I ever got stopped for a traffic violation, the implication being obvious. Although, you don't even have to be that obvious about it, because you can simply "play dumb" and say to the officer, "Can I just pay the fine to you instead of going into the office?" And they will always say yes. of course. And everyone knows it.

And that's just on the lowest level of traffic offense.

• Why? because with the privatized prison industry people found out how to incarcerate citizens for profit by passing over-zealous drug laws. I've seen people get sentenced to prison for smoking weed for a longer stint than a murderer. That just ain't right.
    JeffreyMaryAnne
  • Some of it being the laws we have (marijuana, drug charges for example). Some of it being the individualistic/free market culture, where people will do anything to be successful which is determined almost entirely by wealth. And some of it deals with the fact that our prison system is punishment-based rather than rehabilitation-based, so the rate at which prisoners are set free and then incarcerated again is staggering.
  • On a coincidence basis I was watching a documentary about the US earlier last night, 'Bloods and Crips: Born in the US' I think was the title. Anyway it illustrated to me perfectly now why black people are in gangs and responsible for most crimes. Since day 1 they have been subject to such segregation and racism it was only inevitable that things would boil over sooner or later.

Things like back in the early 1940s, a black kid could not join the cub scouts because he as black, he could not join any productive movement of any sort because he was black. So what became of this? The black panthers. What became of that? Police racists and a lot of rioting, hatred and turmoil. Then what became of that? The crips and the bloods. It is said that 1 in 4 black people in the US will spend some time in prison in that documentary.
    ^^ Well, TT, keep in mind that most of the gang members now were born in the 1980s-1990s.
    They may have been born then, but deep-rooted anger carries over by the generation. I see it here even with simpler issues than poverty and race. 40 years ago a rule governing the land near where I lived was changed. The locals were no longer allowed to use the land in the manner they had in the past, and it causes all sorts of protests and a lot of anger. Those same people now have grand kids, who still carry on the anger over the law passed decades ago, because their grandparents tell their parents who tell their kids how unfair it is, and how angry they are. The circle continues until someone makes a conscious effort to break it.
    ThailandTom
  • The streets in my affluent neighborhood are safe and quiet.
    karasti said:

They may have been born then, but deep-rooted anger carries over by the generation. I see it here even with simpler issues than poverty and race. 40 years ago a rule governing the land near where I lived was changed. The locals were no longer allowed to use the land in the manner they had in the past, and it causes all sorts of protests and a lot of anger. Those same people now have grand kids, who still carry on the anger over the law passed decades ago, because their grandparents tell their parents who tell their kids how unfair it is, and how angry they are. The circle continues until someone makes a conscious effort to break it.

You're right, we wouldn't want to put any sense of responsibility on gang members not to murder, sell heavy drugs, and rape, now would we? Just let them go on and say forever that it was what happened to their great grandparents.

Although to be honest, I never heard any gang members say such things.

• You're right, we wouldn't want to put any sense of responsibility on gang members not to murder, sell heavy drugs, and rape, now would we? Just let them go on and say forever that it was what happened to their great grandparents.

We certainly want to put responsibility on them, but I think the other post has some legitimacy. Sounds kind of like bad karma from the start, no? The influence of one's environment and upbringing can be very overwhelming, especially when that environment is rife with suffering and despair. Desperation leads people to do drastic things. Those drastic things, in the karmic sense, give way to more drastic things, and so on.

Just adding to the perspective.
  • tmottes said:

jll said:

I think it is a number of reasons.

1. Rather than taking the time and money to fix social issues, it is easier to lock people away. Criminalize a behavior to lock up the people that do it out of our society. On a more conspiracy note, criminalize your opponent's (political, socio-economical, etc) behavior and then lock your opponents up.

2. A higher level of privatization of the prison system, means that the more people in jail the more money there is to be made. (to @charirama 's point)

3. The prison system is an environment that encourages (if not forces through threat of violence) its inhabitant to become like those in prison. This increases the likelihood that they will return.

4. There are very few truly effective re-assimilation programs. Thus people fall back into their old habits and are more likely to return to prison.

5. Drugs. Drugs are mainly used to self-medicate and/or related to addiction. Locking people up for drug offenses is misguided and a very costly (socially and economically) mistake to society. We take people who need help and put them in an environment that encourages them to become (more) violent.

There are probably many other reasons... but these are what I have found in my research. Different prison systems are different, but in general this tends to be the case. My partner used to write letters to prisoners all over the country and gained an incredible amount of insight. This led me to want to understand why our prison system was so broken. IMHO, prison is a cruel and unusual punishment (do some research on locking people up, it used to be considered a form of torture). The people involved in the penal system KNOW that prisoners are subject to violence, rape, death, etc: locking people away knowing this occurs is cruel and unusual. There will never be a perfect system, and some people may never be "fit" for society; however, this doesn't mean they should EVER be treated them as are.

tmottes has specified many of the points that must be changed :D. Until we are ready to intervene in society itself, and create change, these numbers will just continue to grow. But on this, it will be a very long and violent path; the idea of an outside institution, presenting itsels directly into life would be hazerdous if done incorrectly, and hastily.

Concerning the prison systems, there are states that have done just this; they've privatized their corrections system, and with great disaster, Arizona being just one of the states. Poor officer pay, no incentive outside a pay check has led prisons to actually go beyond the stories of devils island! One issue was several years back where a riot in an Arizona prison went off; the guards walked away from their posts. And now many states want to follow this lead.

Prison life in many insatances is a meaningless adventure. Overcrowding, and the "law and order" citizenry has destroyed any vestigas of correction; and with over crowding, our courts are sending people to their actual families! Currently we have several generations doing time in the same prison. The only people who fear prison are child abusers.

Assimilations programs were hit on the budgets; and lost. Again being taken up by private corporations.

It seems an ever loosing circle doesn't it?

You're right, we wouldn't want to put any sense of responsibility on gang members not to murder, sell heavy drugs, and rape, now would we? Just let them go on and say forever that it was what happened to their great grandparents.

We certainly want to put responsibility on them, but I think the other post has some legitimacy. Sounds kind of like bad karma from the start, no? The influence of one's environment and upbringing can be very overwhelming, especially when that environment is rife with suffering and despair. Desperation leads people to do drastic things. Those drastic things, in the karmic sense, give way to more drastic things, and so on.

Just adding to the perspective.

And I think that's a fair comment.

But gang members I have known have quite a different story about why they are in a gang.

• What stories have you heard? I would actually be very interested to hear some insight regarding your own experiences. Do you work with gangs or anything like that?
    JohnG said:

tmottes has specified many of the points that must be changed :D. Until we are ready to intervene in society itself, and create change, these numbers will just continue to grow. But on this, it will be a very long and violent path; the idea of an outside institution, presenting itsels directly into life would be hazerdous if done incorrectly, and hastily.

Concerning the prison systems, there are states that have done just this; they've privatized their corrections system, and with great disaster, Arizona being just one of the states. Poor officer pay, no incentive outside a pay check has led prisons to actually go beyond the stories of devils island! One issue was several years back where a riot in an Arizona prison went off; the guards walked away from their posts. And now many states want to follow this lead.

You make a couple of good points.

I find the first one very interesting because it fits right into our current political contest. Conservatives often derided "social engineering", and then earlier this year one conservative pointed out that Ryan's budget is social engineering on the opposite end of the spectrum. When you talk about "intervening in society itself", aren't you talking about "social engineering". And, as a society, do we tend to like social engineering that matches our beliefs, but dislike social engineering when it matches the beliefs of others?

I can understand why the States want to turn over prisons to private enterprise...the exact same reason they have turned out road constructions and other infrastructure to private enterprise -- then the State is not paying a lifetime of health care and retirement benefits for each employee...which is the way it used to be, and one reason States are having so much of a budget crunch now.

edited September 2012
    My post had nothing to do with not requiring responsibility. It's just a common thread when looking at society-the continuation of horrible circles because of the difficulty in breaking out of them. How many young people in prison, have had parents in prison? Grandparents in prison? Quite a few. Does that mean all gang members have parents who are gang members? No, but the desire to join a gang fulfills things that are not getting fulfilled otherwise, largely because of absent or neglectful parents. I didn't mean it so much as "history repeats itself" but just the general circle of poverty, bad upbringing, poor influences, poor literacy, poor, crime-ridden areas with little or no opportunity to "make it" or for protection outside of joining a gang. You can see it on both small and large scales, playing out over and over again. Kids who grow up in stable homes with educated parents who are more or less permanently employed and involved in their kids lives, don't usually have kids who join gangs. Kids who grow up with drug addicted parents who are in and out of prison, unemployed, abusing the welfare system, uneducated etc etc tend to have children that follow in their foot steps. There are, of course, those that get out, and work really hard to do so. But it's not easy to break the cycles of poverty and lack of education and opportunity.

Leon Bing wrote a book called "Do or Die" that is a fantastic telling of gang life in LA. Also, gang life varies from city to city. We have kids who claim to be in gangs here. Not quite the same. Gangs in Minneapolis are not the same as gangs in LA which are not the same as Chicago or Dallas.
    person
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2012
    jll said:

For a number of reasons. 1) Back in the 90's, voters passed a "3-strikes-your-out" law that mandates prison time, even for minor offenses, like possession of marijuana. There's no leeway for judges to give a lighter sentence in these cases. 2) Local and state candidates can help beef up their election vote numbers by being "tough on crime", and the media in the past has promoted the idea that crime is a serious problem in the US, even when violent crime has been declining. 3) The main drive now comes in large part from the privatization of the prison industry. Private prisons are run like businesses, and the more prisoners they have, the more money they make. They also stand to benefit from economy of scale, so the bigger their prison population, the less they end up spending per prisoner. The privatization of prisons provides an incentive to jail more people, according to an analysis in the New York Times last spring.

Generally speaking, prisons in the US are not rehabilitative, they're punitive. So again, there's no great incentive to rehabilitate prisoners with the goal of freeing them. Not a very compassionate system. :(

• chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited September 2012

What does people in prison have to do with capitalism? Not sure how you are making that connection.

I see a few things happening.

By commodifying everything it also means that all goods and services are being held for ransom. Many people cannot afford to pay the ransom because of circumstance and for some of them, desperation sets in.

The system relies on people buying things so it fosters discontent and craving. That can lead to jealousy and resentment and, in some cases, criminal activity.

The American Dream promises that happiness can be the result of just having lots of money so some people rob banks or come up with other elaborate (and sometimes not so elaborate) schemes that land them in jail.

From Dakini's post above
    The main drive now comes in large part from the privatization of the prison industry. Private prisons are run like businesses, and the more prisoners they have, the more money they make. They also stand to benefit from economy of scale, so the bigger their prison population, the less they end up spending per prisoner. The privatization of prisons provides an incentive to jail more people, according to an analysis in the New York Times last spring.
  • charirama said:

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons, but I think charirama makes a good point.

Here is an interesting video about the education system, the prison system and the U.S. economy.

It's all connected, but the prison talk starts at 4:00 minutes.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    jll said:

I read somewhere that the UK has the highest number per capita in Europe. And culturally the UK seems more American than European...so is there a connection?
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited September 2012

I read somewhere that the UK has the highest number per capita in Europe. And culturally the UK seems more American than European...so is there a connection?

Along that same line of thought, what do Australia's numbers look like: their origins were in part prisoners, did they manage any better?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    vinlyn said:

@Seeker242 mentions the drug war (as he puts it "the failed drug war" and getting drug addicts help and/or treatment, rather than just sending them to jail. Sounds good on the surface. But, you have to remember that this is somewhat of a democracy, and the society doesn't seem willing to vote funds for that...particularly after some rather notorious failures in such programs.

I don't think it's a lack of funds, but at the core, an outright denial of the fact that prohibition is a fundamentally flawed theory. :)
    seeker242 said:

...prohibition is a fundamentally flawed theory. :)

Yes, it just seems to result in a criminal sub-culture and a loss of tax revenue.
    charirama said:

I think you might be right. The problem with strongly market driven societies is that they result in a lot of inequality.
  • sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I agree that the privatization of prisons tends to create a focus on making a profit which can encourage abuses such as described in @nlightens video post. If I run a for profit institution and have a good set of workers I might want to keep them around . However, know that many of these prisoners are grateful for work and for the money they make as a result. Realize further that these prisoners owe society and their victims something for their misdeeds. Even such supposedly victimless crimes as drug dealing costs society. So, please factor in the cost of housing and feeding these people into the bottom line and you will find their hourly wage becomes more reasonable.
    As for the idea that drugs and addiction fuel much of the fodder for the "prison industry" , perhaps it does but I fear the legalization of all drugs ( from Valium to heroin) would be more deleterious to society than the laws we have in place . Marijuana by the way is essentially legal in most places in the USA and is a non issue.
    Most of the production in these prisons , besides self sustaining industries such as laundry and farming, is military and law enforcement related (bullet proof vests and the like). How about this "modest proposal": clear the prisons on all non violent drug offenders, legalize ALL drugs making pharmacists obsolete except as consumer advisors,then put the remaining prisoners in the business of producing crack cocaine and and Ice at cheap prices for the customers so inclined to enjoy such pursuits. Then we can use the rest of the extra prison budget on drug addiction therapy and low and behold, a new "industry" is born!
    I know, studies have shown that legalizing drugs does not increase the number of addicts so the therapy industry will need to help create addicts so they can grow this fledging industry.
    No, the new therapy industry would never do such a thing. Therapist would wok hard to cure all the addicts then , by acclamation as a group, disappear.
  • karasti said:

If you actually watch the documentary you will see for yourself how the anger and hated, the racism has been handed down. I knew it a little before hand but after wtaching that I knew exactly how it happened.
    Okay, so quite a few of you have dissected with passion your disdain about the American prison system. Feel better now?

So other than talk, talk, talk, what are you doing or going to do about it?
  • The problem is a symptom of the condition of our hearts that we all share whether we are in prison or not. Change starts with ourselves.
  • vinlyn said:

Okay, so quite a few of you have dissected with passion your disdain about the American prison system. Feel better now?

So other than talk, talk, talk, what are you doing or going to do about it?

What can we do?
    I don't think you can say marijuana is all but legal in the US. That's not true. It's been decriminalized in small amounts in some states, but that doesn't make it legal. In my state any possession is a misdemeanor with a fine and required drug education course. Anything over 42.5 grams is a felony. Possession of paraphernalia is also a misdemeanor with a $200 fine.

Oh come on. I have a neighbor who is concerned about homelessness, so she volunteers in a soup kitchen half a day of week. Helps prepare the food, helps dish out food on the line, helps clean up, and takes a special interest in the mothers and children. SHE'S 78 YEARS OLD. There are advocacy groups and volunteer opportunities for virtually any worthy cause you can think of, and that includes things related to the criminal justice system and prisons.

I have had teachers in the school where I was principal who volunteered to teach to help prisoners earn GEDs. There are any number of advocacy groups for prisoners that vary from the local level to the national level. There are people who volunteer to visit prisoners they don't even know. Other people who volunteer to help the families of people in prison. There are advocacy groups that lobby legislatures to improve the lives of prisoners or change laws or any number of other approaches. There are people who volunteer as counselors and advocates for people who are "in the cycle" and will likely end up in prison. There are volunteers who work with at-risk youth who might turn to gangs. I could go on and on. There are plenty of opportunities for those who are truly concerned about the issue.

And this goes back to discussions we have had here on the forum in the past about Buddhist compassion. My own personal belief is that having compassion isn't someone saying (or thinking), "Aw, isn't that too bad", but rather someone who actually does something about the issue they are concerned about.
  • Surely you must agree that, at a certain point, we cannot help to alleviate all the suffering which we are passionate about. We cannot act on everything.

Should this stop us from speaking about these things to raise awareness?
    So, Vinlyn, if it's not an issue you are concerned with, why waste your time talking about it? And if you are concerned enough to be discussing it with the rest of it, what are you doing about it?

I've in the past written letters to prisoners. I have a family member who is in prison who I communicate with often. However, I don't live anywhere near an area where there is a prison, nor in a population where there are advocacy groups or anything else of the sort. I can't just bring my kids with to drive 120 miles to visit someone in prison. There are unlimited ways to be compassionate, overall, in life. It's not as if it doesn't "count" if you are compassionate in whatever ways you can be, yet cannot immediately get involved in true action in other causes. Sometimes all you CAN do is vote and write letters, and it's better than doing nothing.
    person

Surely you must agree that, at a certain point, we cannot help to alleviate all the suffering which we are passionate about. We cannot act on everything.

Should this stop us from speaking about these things to raise awareness?

That's a fair question.

No. You cannot actively work to alleviate suffering in all the settings that you see. I was a teacher and then school administrator. I spent my time concentrating on special ed, minority (including some gang-interested), and English-As-Second-Language students, even though the focus of my school was gifted/talented students. In other areas of concern that were not school-related, I gave donations to a number of organizations. Those were my personal interests.

But when you have people who speak so passionately about this thread's topic, I would think that at least a few might actually do something concrete, whether it be giving time or simply writing a check.

• The hope is that people who can act do, or will at some point. But not everyone who speaks about such topics can act, and so they don't. The hope for those people is that, once they can act, then they do.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    vinlyn said:

.....My own personal belief is that having compassion isn't someone saying (or thinking), "Aw, isn't that too bad", but rather someone who actually does something about the issue they are concerned about.

And so you are doing...... What?
    Seriously, is it something we can all join you in?

This discussion has been closed.