Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and eating disorders

i truth be told am a little bit obsessed about what i eat ( i know obsession is one of the 108 earthly desires we are meant to stay away from). In the past in some of my darkest days i have purposely not eaten becauuse i was unhappy with my appearance. Now i have isolated a few teachings from buddhism that i can apply to help me beat this but is there anything you could possibly share with me to help me.

I would be ever so greatful

Comments

• Have you spoken you your doctor about this? If you haven't, that's your first step. Eating disorders are deadly, and require professional help. What treatment are you currently undergoing?
  • Yes please at least speak to your doctor, never be afraid to open up to docotors as it is their choice and job to help those in need. My sister had an eating disorder, but now she is fine after some sessions and has quite an out-going personality. Take care of yourself :)
  • RebeccaS said:

Have you spoken you your doctor about this? If you haven't, that's your first step. Eating disorders are deadly, and require professional help. What treatment are you currently undergoing?

i havn't seen one so that answers the second question lol i know this is probably deadly but im trying to combat it alone. I am a whole lot better than i use to be. I am trying to find something i can say to myself a go to phrase if you will to help me rid this once and for all

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited September 2012
    You can supplement your professional help with Buddhism, they work together very nicely, but you can't supplement Buddhism with professional help. You see the difference? You don't have to choose one or the other, you can do both, but the emphasis should be put on your professional treatment. That has to come first.

Anorexia is the deadliest mental illness killing 1 in 5 sufferers. There are cancers with better survival rates.

Nobody here can help you get rid of this. Nobody here (as far as I know) is a trained psychiatrist or physician with the experience necessary and nobody here knows your medical history. There is no magical sutta, phrase or aphorism. Sure, those things can help and supplement your professional treatment, but they can't replace it.

You need a doctor.

(And I will personally find and punch anyone who posts anything in this thread other than seek a professional as the OP has specifically stated he/she hasn't seen a doctor. :) OK, I won't actually do that, I'm just making a very serious point in a funny way.)

When you're in treatment and under the guidance of a professional, then yeah, look for suttas and Buddhist teachings to assist in your healing, but the professional aspect must come first.
    MaryAnne
  • thank you for your help maybe i am in a bit of denial about it all. Hopefully i will kick it to the curb one day.
  • Wisdom23 said:

thank you for your help maybe i am in a bit of denial about it all. Hopefully i will kick it to the curb one day.

Denial can be a huge problem in the treatment of this illness. It's a symptom, and one you shouldn't ignore. If you want to kick it to the curb (and often people who are sick don't really want to recover, as upsetting as that is to learn) then you'll find a doctor. Honestly, if I could, I'd go to your house right now, put you in the car and make you go :lol:

Just make an appointment, talk about it with someone, ok? You don't have to do anything else at this point, just talk to a professional. That's it. Talk to them.

MaryAnne
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Eating disorders aren't something that you can just kick to the curb with a mantra or catch phrase. They are usually deeply rooted in your psychology and you (usually) can't just decide not to do it anymore. You have to figure out why you feel that way and why you do it to begin with to begin to change things, which is where eating disorder doctors can help. The longer you wait, the more you risk decline of your muscles and organs that you may never recover from. I'm not trying to scare you, but it's a reality that you have to face.

My grandmother is not anorexic but she was very malnutritioned due to a poor diet and issues in her digestive system. She let it go long enough that she will never recover even a portion of the muscle mass that she lost. She can no longer lift her legs to climb stairs, where a year ago she was 100% independent, using stairs in her house, gardening, etc. It can happen all of a sudden, and you don't want to be forced to live a life with a heart, legs, or other body parts that are irreversibly damaged by a lack of nutrition. Get help you need before you absolutely NEED medical help, because at that point, it might be too late.
    RebeccaSWisdom23MaryAnne
  • pyramidsongpyramidsong Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I used to have anorexia/bulimia as a teen and in my twenties. The reason was mainly body image and self esteem issues. I would say I'm mostly recovered although I do on occasion starve myself when I feel guilty about my past, kind of as a self-punishment, not because of my body shape (I'm a normal weight). I know that's unhealthy. I do. I have a psychologist.

OP, you definitely need help. I started out "just being a little obsessed" and it took over my entire life. It was a nightmare for my family and I almost failed high school.