Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Love and Compassion

Do you find it easy to show love and compassion to all beings. What type of being is especially hard and how do you overcome this ?

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Easy? Hell no. Beings that bruise my ego are hard to love.
    Compassion? Easier for me, bec it's part of my practice. I have
    compassion for alot of things I'm trying to love. lololol

Acts of love and compassion are how Buddhists overcome this.

Acts means trying to change the intention that my Ego
    is trying to sell. For 2 bucks, I might add.
    :)
  • Wasps. It's actually impossible to love wasps.
    karasti
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    It gets easier over time, the only way to overcome is to practice, just like anything else you want to improve in live. Compassion and love for those who we are not close to does not come naturally to most people. There are cases I can practice compassion, but not love yet. There are cases where I can logically understand where compassion would come in and how I should be able to see and feel it, but I can't always do it (ie having compassion for someone that hurt someone close to me, etc.). But even a year ago, I couldn't imagine even comprehending having compassion for someone who hurt me, so progress is there!

My biggest challenge right now is actually my sons' family. Their dad died a few years ago, and their grandma and uncle never call, never email, never have any communication with them, where before they did. I'm sure part of it is just it's hard for them to see Eric (the one who died) in my children, but Grandma and Uncle are the only link my kids have to their father, and it's lacking because of decisions they make that I don't understand. How do I overcome it? I don't. I just work with it and my attitude and perception changes with time and helps me to become less upset over the situation and thus to be able to talk to my kids in a way that helps them be less upset.

I have a hard time loving wasps, too. They are the only thing that send me running, screaming, and waving my arms frantically like a little girl.
    Wisdom23
  • Vastminds said:

I thoughts buddhists weren't meant to have egos lol but i get where you are coming from. Thank you for your response
  • Some people seem to be uber independent. They have everything and need nothing, or they don't need me, what I have to say or what I represent. Is my attitude too pessimistic if I suggest that for some people, if we do not offer a product or a service then we are useless?

It seems hard, if not impossible to have compassion for others, when I don't know how it feels to be that person.

Loving and being responsible and compassionate is just plain hard, or so I find in my current situation.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Wisdom23 said:

Vastminds said:

I thoughts buddhists weren't meant to have egos lol but i get where you are coming from. Thank you for your response
    The idea that we aren't supposed to have egos is slightly misguided. We must first "clean" up our ego, then we can take a closer look at and eventually move beyond (transcend) the ego.

If you are moving from a rural community in Oregon across the USA to NYC where, when you arrive, you will no longer need your car. Before you start your journey you would want your car to be in tip-top shape before leaving. You would also want to monitor and check it all along the way. Then when you get there you let it go (as there is no more need for it). The idea that you must give up ego at the beginning is a hinderance to practice (too much too soon).

Compassion is a natural result of practice. We also become more wise about it as we mature in our practice. In "Buddhist" countries compassion, love, generosity etc, tend to be starting points in life and are enhanced and integrated through practice. For those of us raised with more selfish tendencies, we have to "fake it until we make it" haha :) This is not to say that our love and compassion are fake, but that they are simply not our default and thus require work to cultivate.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Knowing where we come from. It's impossible to not see everything as beautiful if you know where we come from. Everything is made up of what comes out of supernovas. Giant explosions in space resulting in all the atoms and elements that we know.

Everything is the product of exploded stars. Nothing could be more miraculous or magnificent.

Everything is like... A miracle. It's impossible to not love everything when you think of where everything comes from.

It all came from freakin stars. Absolutely everything that you see on this planet without exception. If that doesn't inspire awe I don't know what will :lol:

I've been watching this series http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/other-shows/videos/other-shows-how-the-universe-works-videos.htm for the past few days. I could recommend it more.

"Every atom that makes your body was once inside a star. The atoms in your right hand could have come from a different star than the atoms in your left hand."
    karasti
  • KINDNESS

Before you know what kindness really is
    you must lose things,
    feel the future dissolve in a moment
    like salt in a weakened broth.
    What you held in your hand,
    what you counted and carefully saved,
    all this must go so you know
    how desolate the landscape can be
    between the regions of kindness.
    How you ride and ride
    thinking the bus will never stop,
    the passengers eating maize and chicken
    will stare out the window forever.

Before you learn the tender gravity of kindness,
    you must travel where the Indian in a white poncho
    lies dead by the side of the road.
    You must see how this could be you,
    how he too was someone
    who journeyed through the night with plans
    and the simple breath that kept him alive.
    Before you know kindness as the deepest thing inside,
    you must know sorrow as the other deepest thing.You must wake up with sorrow.
    You must speak to it till your voice
    catches the thread of all sorrows
    and you see the size of the cloth.

Then it is only kindness that makes sense anymore,
    only kindness that ties your shoes
    and sends you out into the day to mail letters and purchase bread,
    only kindness that raises its head
    from the crowd of the world to say
    it is I you have been looking for,
    and then goes with you everywhere
    like a shadow or a friend.

-Naomi Shihab Nye
    Vastmind
  • And the Indian in the white poncho is made from freakin stars! And so is his poncho!
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Love your post @RebeccaS!
    RebeccaS
  • karasti said:

Love your post @RebeccaS!

Astrophysics! Blowing my mind for the past few days. I've always been interested in quantum and theoretical physics, I never paid much attention to astrophysics but omg, this stuff is AMAZING. It's like... It opened my eyes and then it opened my heart. Hoping for a trip to the planetarium for my birthday :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Fall down seven times, get up eight.
    Every day, when I Take Refuge, I remind myself of the 5 Precepts and recite those too... and tell myself:

"Wise Compassion, not Idiot Compassion.
    Be Kind to everyone you meet today."

(an added benefit is that it drives them mad, and makes them feel guilty.... :D)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    RebeccaS said:

Wasps. It's actually impossible to love wasps.

You hate white anglo-saxon protestants? :D
    karastiMaryAnne
  • vinlyn said:

RebeccaS said:

Wasps. It's actually impossible to love wasps.

You hate white anglo-saxon protestants? :D
    Only the tall ones.
    MaryAnne
    As I have mentioned before, I personally don't ascribe to the generally held definition of what compassion in. For me, compassion is actually doing something to help another person, not just having positive feelings toward them. Because I can't possibly help every person, I take solace in helping those I can.

W|hen I \was a school principal, we had around 900 kids in my school. I couldn't get personally involved with all 900 and still do my job. So I selected groups and individuals who most needed my help -- ESOL kids, special ed kids, foreign students, minorities, and individuals who had needs beyond the average person.
    music
  • And all those kids that needed an extra hand are made of freakin stars. STARS.

STARS
    karasti
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @vinlyin... now do I make mention of your grammatical error, or shall I just STFU.....? :D
    Hey, as long as we all get to make mention of each others grammatical errors...go for it!
    "Ascribe" is to reference something, to something else. For example, a quotation is ascribed to an author, or an essay to a writer.

A person "subscribes" to something.
    You personally don't 'SUBscribe' to the generally held definition of what compassion......

I'm going to crawl back under my rock now..... :eek:

:D
    I might add, someone corrected me on that particular 'faux pas'..... fathers can be so maddening, sometimes..... ;)
    Ya got me! Now if you could just get my screen name correct (it's not "vinlyin"), we'd be even! :lol:
    edited October 2012
    That was quite deliberate.

She lied.

Sorry, won't happien again. ;)
    Just funin' with ya, Frederick. ;)