Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

: What do you think of 1st USA Presidential Debate?

2»

Comments

• vinlyn said:

LOL...actually, other than Watergate, I grudgingly give Nixon some credit.

I would normally do the same, but Nixon was a racist and dishonest to the core. Two HUGE strikes in my book. Whatever good he did do, or wanted to do, or wished he could do was forever overshadowed by those two strikes. He probably was the last "moderate" Republican president, though.

• Ahem. Hillary 2016. Official slogan, "It's scrunchie time."

Textsfromhillaryclinton.tumbler.com

If it's going to be Hillary in 2016, it might be appropriate to dust off the old "It's the Economy, Stupid", slogan, the Clinton brand.

• MaryAnne said:

OMG!! Nixon and Bush II -- The two worst presidents in the last 100 years!! Why are you trying to scare me, Vin?? :eek:

Hey, don't forget Reagan! :p

• Dakini said:

MaryAnne said:

OMG!! Nixon and Bush II -- The two worst presidents in the last 100 years!! Why are you trying to scare me, Vin?? :eek:

Hey, don't forget Reagan! :p

M'love, I try every day to forget Reagan! LOL

• BTW- someone on Huffington Post pointed out that the rules call for No Notes are to be taken to the podium by either debater.... and in the video below (if I can get it to embed here) you can clearly see Romney fishing a substantial pile of 5x8 (?) note cards out of his pocket and tossing them on the podium in front of him!

Oh, wait-- now they are saying it was a 'folded hankie'. Not sure I'm buying it.
    Watch closely in full screen mode. One hand tosses the white cards/hankie? on the podium and immediately the other hand is up there fiddling around with it or something else.... also remember, as per the rules, there is supposed to be no rear camera shots once they start the debate. So he probably thought he wouldn't be seen from that angle -- but he sure did belly-up to the bar pretty closely anyhow.

I just don't trust him. Everything about him that night was completely not typical Romney. I mean maybe it was a hankie, maybe not. If Obama was the one with this suspicion on HIM, they would have called in a CSI team immediately. LOL
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Looked slightly floppy to me like a hanky. Plus I guess he can be seen using a hanky during the debate.

There's plenty of legitimate things to criticize Romney for , no need to grab onto trumped up bunko charges.
    MaryAnne
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Dakini said:

Ahem. Hillary 2016. Official slogan, "It's scrunchie time."

If it's going to be Hillary in 2016, it might be appropriate to dust off the old "It's the Economy, Stupid", slogan, the Clinton brand.

Haha. Actually, she keeps saying she won't run, but a lot of people... including Nancy Pelosi... are rooting for her. She has an all time high approval rating of 66% since 2009. Things like that blog (textsfromhillaryclinton.tumbler.com) have helped shape her image from 'domineering bitch' to somewhat of a badass. My favorite is the one where a girl is texting Hillary saying, "Hillary! It's 3 am and something's happening!" to which she simply replies, "On it." :D The whole 'scrunchie time' thing btw, came from one of her reps saying that he wished they could ban her scrunchies. It became somewhat of a joke and so if you go to that blog, the first image you will see is actually made by Hillary Clinton herself, in which she pokes some fun at the creators of the blog as well as herself saying, "-g2g scrunchie time"
    I personally hope she changes her mind, but only time will tell.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I was originally a Hillary supporter, but went over to Obama, in part because it seemed like Hillary and Bill acted like she deserved to be President. But I think she has been a wonderful Secretary Of State, and I hope she does run next time around (part of me hoped she might run against Obama this time around).
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited October 2012
    vinlyn said:

I was originally a Hillary supporter, but went over to Obama, in part because it seemed like Hillary and Bill acted like she deserved to be President. But I think she has been a wonderful Secretary Of State, and I hope she does run next time around (part of me hoped she might run against Obama this time around).

Has that actually happened? Someone choosing to run against the president from their own party? I can't remember seeing that... but then again... I've only been voting since the George Bush Jr. days...

Some people were rooting for her to replace Joe Biden, but obviously that's not going to happen.
    ^ Yes, although not often.

I was more concerned about Obama's ability to win; I like him...a lot.

• vinlyn said:

Has that actually happened? Someone choosing to run against the president from their own party? I can't remember seeing that... but then again... I've only been voting since the George Bush Jr. days...

Some people were rooting for her to replace Joe Biden, but obviously that's not going to happen.
    It happens. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen from time to time. I'd imagine, however, that it's a lot less likely to happen now than back in the day.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Well, since the people of the US didn't vote for Bush in 2000, he never counted as president to me, lol. It was like a farce presidency.
  • Dakini said:

Ahem. Hillary 2016. Official slogan, "It's scrunchie time."

Haha. Actually, she keeps saying she won't run, but a lot of people... including Nancy Pelosi... are rooting for her. She has an all time high approval rating of 66% since 2009. Things like that blog (textsfromhillaryclinton.tumbler.com) have helped shape her image from 'domineering bitch' to somewhat of a badass. My favorite is the one where a girl is texting Hillary saying, "Hillary! It's 3 am and something's happening!" to which she simply replies, "On it." :D The whole 'scrunchie time' thing btw, came from one of her reps saying that he wished they could ban her scrunchies. It became somewhat of a joke and so if you go to that blog, the first image you will see is actually made by Hillary Clinton herself, in which she pokes some fun at the creators of the blog as well as herself saying, "-g2g scrunchie time"
    I personally hope she changes her mind, but only time will tell.
    Aargh! I zip over to spend some quality fun time and tumblr is down for maintenance! Oh, well. Something to look forward to.
  • karasti said:

Well, since the people of the US didn't vote for Bush in 2000, he never counted as president to me, lol. It was like a farce presidency.

Like it or not it's the electoral vote, not the popular vote, that counts and I'm pretty sure he's not the only president to have lost the popular but won the electoral.

karasti said:

Like it or not it's the electoral vote, not the popular vote, that counts and I'm pretty sure he's not the only president to have lost the popular but won the electoral.

And even as a Democrat, I got over that a long time ago.

• karasti said:

http://www.factcheck.org/2008/03/presidents-winning-without-popular-vote/
    tmottes said:

karasti said:

http://www.factcheck.org/2008/03/presidents-winning-without-popular-vote/
    To be honest, I'm not sure either system is good.

If it were merely popular vote, the mid-west and mountain-west would probably be ignored, and the two coasts would get almost all the attention.

As it is now, it's been interesting to live in Colorado during this election where we've seen a lot of both candidates, and be from (and follow the news in) Virginia, which is also getting a lot of attention.

I'm not sure what the answer is. 50% of the vote from popular, 50 from electoral?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I know it wasn't the only election. It was just a random remark and not something I said because I'm hung up on it or something. I'm over it. I've been over it since the results were announced. I just dislike the system but I don't know of a better way to do it. It bothers me on a local level, more. For some reason my area will elect republican representatives, mayors, etc but almost always votes democratic for president. Except even though the vast majority vote for the D presidential candidate, our representatives don't case their vote for the person the people voted for. I dislike that as well. I'm still not hung up on it, however. I don't think in a non-electoral system that rural states would be completely ignored. They still represent more than 20% of the population, and some of the more rural states (comparing them to the very urban states) have high % of voters. In MN which only has one real urban area, which accounts for about half of our citizens in the state. But our voting percent is usually the highest in the nation, especially among younger voters.
  • as for the electoral vs popular vote, I think a lot more individuals would get out and vote if they didn't feel "the fix was in"- due to the electoral procedure.

As for votes in heavily populated states/areas overwhelming less populated states/areas, well once it was switched to a National Popular Vote who really cares which candidate "won" which states? There is only one president for ALL of us.
    We are the UNITED States of America.
    The Federal government can stay in charge of Federal programs, Constitutional laws and governing, and let states (more or less) run their own state and lower level local politics. Well, as long as Federal laws, regulations and the Constitution are obeyed by states....
    ^^ Because I remember how lousy states were at running anything, and I remember how much even worse off people were in some states than others.