Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Oneness/ Vegetarianism

edited October 2012 in General Banter
If E=MC2 then Energy equal mass. If this is true all things equal each other. If you believe Quantum Physics then all matter at its simplest form is light energy. If we are all light energy; plants, animals, earth, sky, water, ect., Why is vegetarianism favored in Buddhism. Are they not the same as us? Plants=animals.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No.
    It's a question of sentience.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited October 2012
    IS vegetarianism favoured in Buddhism ?
    Among other Buddhist leaders..the Dalai Lama is not a vegetarian. Ajahn Sumedho is not a vegetarian. Ajahn Chah was not a vegetarian. The 16th Karmapa was not a vegetarian ( but the 17th is ) .
    The fact is it is an individual choice...except for Theravadin monks who are supposed to eat what is put into their bowls..including on one famous and possibly apocryphal occasion a leper's finger.
    So a vegetarian diet is favoured by some Dharma practitioners and not others.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Citta said:

So a vegetarian diet is favoured by some Dharma practitioners and not others.

Yes, it can be quite a controversial issue. Personally I don't think that meat-eating is consistent with the spirit of non-harm embodied in the precepts, but not everyone will agree. ;)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited October 2012
    The point is there is no fixed or universal Buddhist position on the issue.
    Its once more a matter of individual conscience. I think the important thing is not to make it a matter by which one side attempts the other side from being seen as" real " Dharma practitioners..and that can work both ways.
    There are followers of the Higher Yoga Tantras who tell you that to refuse meat in pujas is heresy.
    Just as there are other Buddhists who cannot accept that meat eating should not be seen as proof of insincerity.
    Citta said:

Its once more a matter of individual conscience.

Sure, but that applies to all the precepts.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Are they not the same as us? Plants=animals.
    I would say not really. A carrot does not scream in fear when you go to cut it's head off, while an animal does.
    Jeffreylobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Oh well apparently there is scientific evidence that states plants do 'scream' when they are cut or injured. And those who have ascribed such behaviour to plants, further may claim that it is out of fear and pain. But the jury is still very much 'out' on that one. It may simply be a biological botanically-based reflex that is aware of impending damage, but there is nothing to prove - or even factually suggest - that emotions are involved, or connected to such a reaction.
    What actually happens is that the plants gave out raised levels of ethylene gas in response to a 'threat. Scientists have fed this emission into a machine which transformed it into sound, and called it a scream. This emission of gas is precisely the one that plants give off when stored together, which is why apples help ripen tomatoes, bananas go brown more quickly when stored with other fruits.... it's just a change of influential dynamics in the vicinity - but it doesn't denote pain or discomfort - it's just a registration of an altered existence, influenced by the proximity of a specific influence.
    Zerozombiegirl
  • On their level, maybe that's what pain could be. Who knows? One should never kill plants.
  • so what do you eat music ?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Sometimes it ought to be crow. :lol:
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    You can harvest plants without killing them, as anyone whose ever grown a garden will know, but here at least it's not possible to grow a garden year round (nor grow enough for our family to can/freeze and store all winter due to space outside). Plants are more than a lot of people believe them to be, but I don't think that means they are sentient. Though they seem to be aware of other plants, and communicate with plants near them, and they grow better when talked to kindly. Just because we don't understand all beings, doesn't mean we are right in our assumptions about them. Look how much more we know about dogs than we did 100 years ago. If they are more than we tend to believe, then what? We can only eat things we can harvest without harming the plant? That's pretty limiting considering the nutrient needs of a human. Perhaps all human beings starving themselves out of existence is what leads to enlightenment, then then planet can live happily ever after without us here, lol.
  • Citta said:

so what do you eat music ?

Animals, of course.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Vegetarianism verses meat eating is just not a black & white question with an answer to stand behind. I've been a vegetarian for 39 years because it seems to create less suffering than the alternative.
    IMHO .. It still does some create suffering that one should be aware of.... just not as much.
    In buddhism I'd advise vegetarians interested in the path to the cessation of suffering to be wary of undermining their own efforts at harm reduction by adding their own veggy pride to the mix.
    Arthurbodhilobster
  • well what about the natural world would it be incorrect to just take as much as necessary, recognizing what you have taken, however animals eat animals and animals eat plants, do we consider carnivores unwise or of bad karma? and thank you very much for the enlightening answers.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Hey Colome
    I don't think that the natural world is anything but survival of the fittest. Not correct or incorrect...just opportunistic.
    A sentient being at the top of the food chain holds a huge amount of control over how much suffering is created or not.
    With empathy, sympathy, tenderness, compassion and love in mind, if given a choice between killing and eating a rabbit or doing the same to a carrot, which do you think creates more suffering?

how said:

In buddhism I'd advise vegetarians interested in the path to the cessation of suffering to be wary of undermining their own efforts at harm reduction by adding their own veggy pride to the mix.

The other side of the coin is Buddhists with a meat addiction who try to rationalise away the harm that is caused.
    how
    I think partly it's about interpretation of the spirit and meaning of the first precept. Does it just mean "don't kill" or does it also mean "don't cause killing"?
    If you're killing, you're also causing a kill, aren't you?
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    federica said:

But if you're "causing a killing" are you always "killing"?
    :coffee:
    tmottes
  • federica said:

But if you're "causing a killing" are you always "killing"?
    Koan study gone wrong. That's what happens when two zen girls argue with each other.
    federica said:

I meant in the sense of asking somebody else to kill an animal so you can eat it. So one is not personally killing, but getting somebody else to do it - ie causing killing.
    edited October 2012
    @PedanticPorpoise,
    That is also against the teaching of the Buddha.

And @music - I don't practice Zen Buddhism.
    federica said:

@PedanticPorpoise,

And @music - I don't practice Zen Buddhism.

Did you mean to say "against the teaching of Buddha", or did you mean to say "that is not the teaching of Buddha"?

The teaching of the Buddha is that we should neither kill, nor have anything killed for us.....
    Yes, I know, although that wasn't the question I was asking.

What I'm referring to is what I will refer to as "the catch". Thai Buddhists generally say what you said, but then justify eating meat from the standpoint that the animal was killed by non-Buddhists (in Thailand, the vast majority of butchers are Muslim or Chinese non-Buddhists), and not killed for them specifically. And although a meat-eater myself, I would say that's sort of a loop hole. No, the chicken in the market was not killed for Vincent Lynch, but it was killed for meat buyers who come to that market.
    That's the perennial question. 'Killed for the consumer'. Would that be you?
    No.
    It wouldn't. The animal was destined for the table, if it gets eaten, it gets eaten. By whom, is not an issue. quite a bit of the meat in supermarkets gets wasted anyway due to a little clause known as the 'sell-by' date....
    If people really have sleepless nights about the "Yeah, but was it killed 'FOR' me?" issue, then going vegetarian seems to be their only option. By all means be anxious about it, but really, debating the matter in public just makes people become defensive and they then try to justify their stance, with a marinade of guilt thrown in.

Either eat meat, or don't.

If you eat meat, eat it.
    If you don't eat meat, then don't.
    Whichever, just 'wear the coat'. Don't shake it in front of people like a matador's cloak.

Really, it's that simple.
    Jeffrey
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Colome said:

If E=MC2 then Energy equal mass. If this is true all things equal each other. If you believe Quantum Physics then all matter at its simplest form is light energy. If we are all light energy; plants, animals, earth, sky, water, ect., Why is vegetarianism favored in Buddhism. Are they not the same as us? Plants=animals.

No brain, no pain.

A brain is needed (I think) to make any distinction of any kind. A plant doesn't suffer from the notion that it is a plant and so doesn't suffer as a seperate thing.

Just an idea.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited October 2012
    vinlyn said:

Yes, I know, although that wasn't the question I was asking.

What I'm referring to is what I will refer to as "the catch". Thai Buddhists generally say what you said, but then justify eating meat from the standpoint that the animal was killed by non-Buddhists (in Thailand, the vast majority of butchers are Muslim or Chinese non-Buddhists), and not killed for them specifically. And although a meat-eater myself, I would say that's sort of a loop hole. No, the chicken in the market was not killed for Vincent Lynch, but it was killed for meat buyers who come to that market.

I havn't formulated a compete stance on this but I see your point and have thought about it myself. Other people are not killing the animals for free.

Somebody hiring a hitman is just as guilty as the shooter, aren't they?

Now, if a plate is put in front of somebody and they know if they don't eat it, it will go to waste... I havn't formulated a complete stance on this yet.

• ZeroZero Veteran
    ourself said:

A plant doesn't suffer from the notion that it is a plant and so doesn't suffer as a seperate thing.

Just an idea.

Perhaps not in a way that we would define as 'suffer'...
    federica said:

That's the perennial question. 'Killed for the consumer'. Would that be you?
    No.
    It wouldn't.

If it is not killed for the consumer, then who is it killed for? If the person who buys it is not the consumer, then who is the consumer?

vinlyn
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited October 2012

rel="federica">That's the perennial question. 'Killed for the consumer'. Would that be you?
    No.
    It wouldn't. The animal was destined for the table, if it gets eaten, it gets eaten. By whom, is not an issue. quite a bit of the meat in supermarkets gets wasted anyway due to a little clause known as the 'sell-by' date....
    If people really have sleepless nights about the "Yeah, but was it killed 'FOR' me?" issue, then going vegetarian seems to be their only option. By all means be anxious about it, but really, debating the matter in public just makes people become defensive and they then try to justify their stance, with a marinade of guilt thrown in.

Either eat meat, or don't.

If you eat meat, eat it.
    If you don't eat meat, then don't.
    Whichever, just 'wear the coat'. Don't shake it in front of people like a matador's cloak.

Really, it's that simple.

It really is.
    And no amount of jabbering on will make any difference.
    I doubt if anyone ever became a veggie because a Buddhist website said so. I doubt if anyone ever became a carnivore because the DL eats meat.
    Its lunch.
    Choose what you are going to eat and consume it with awareness and gratitude. And concentrate on your own plate.
    Its a topic which causes more heat and less light on Buddhist websites than just about any other...
    MaryAnnelobster
    federica said:

@PedanticPorpoise,

So as a Buddhist you're happy to be the cause of killing?
    If it is not killed for the consumer, then who is it killed for? If the person who buys it is not the consumer, then who is the consumer?
    I agree. By choosing to buy meat we are inevitably adding to the problem.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Citta said:

And no amount of jabbering on will make any difference.

This made me laugh out loud for real!! :D
    @PedanticPorpoise Would you have told the Dalai Lama the same thing? That he's contributing to "the problem" by eating meat and basically insinuating he's not being a good Buddhist by not being vegetarian? Or would you maybe assume he knows more about Buddhist scripture than you do and that if he eats meat, he probably pretty clearly feels it is not an obvious slight against Buddha? Not everyone can be vegetarian, sometimes not even if they want to and every time these threads come up, it seems you are saying that people who eat meat are making the wrong choice. Just because it is right for you doesn't make it right for everyone, not even all Buddhists, and it's not as simple as you like to make it out to be. Just as it's not up to Christians to tell me how to live my life, it's not up to you, either, and whatever choices I make are mine and mine alone, and any karma accrued is also mine to deal with, not yours. It just smacks too much of self-righteousness for me because you feel you clearly have a full understanding of the entire matter, and that everyone who eats meat just doesn't get it and clearly doesn't understand it as well as you. Not true. We just don't agree, and that's ok.

People have a pretty limited understanding, inasmuch as their own physiology. Not that long ago, we thought far different things about animals than we do now. Just because plants are made like us, doesn't mean that we understand them. I have no doubt that our vast universe carries life other than ours. Our planet is perfect for sustaining our brand of life. But I hardly doubt the entire universe only exists of other humanoids and beasts like we have here. There are probably many different types of life forms that we can't even conceive of, and just because they may not have brains doesn't mean they don't feel pain in some manner we can't even comprehend of. I'm not making an argument against eating plants, lol. I just find it interesting. We are energy, and we consume energy to stay alive. This comes from plants, and it comes from animals that injest plants. It is basically a longer food chain of us eating energy from our sun. We might be at the top of the food chain because we have no natural predators (well we like to think we do because we removed ourselves from living in the wild world, when we lived many thousands of years ago, we had plenty of predators) but really, plants are at the top of the food chain, because nothing could live without them.

RebeccaS
    Here, householder friends, a Noble Disciple reflects thus: I am one who wishes
    to live, who does not wish to die; I desire happiness & do not like any suffering.
    If someone were to take my life, it would neither be pleasing nor agreeable to me.
    If I kill whatever another being: One who also wishes to live, who also does not
    wish to die, who also desires happiness & who also dislike suffering, that would
    neither be pleasant nor acceptable to that other being either...
    What is displeasing and disagreeable to me, is also displeasing and disagreeable
    to any other being too. How can I inflict upon another being what is displeasing
    and disagreeable to myself? Having reflected repeatedly thus, then gradually:
    1: He/she will carefully avoid all destruction of any life-form whatsoever...
    2: He/she will persuade others also to abstain from all destruction of any life...
    3: He/she will speak praising harmlessness and avoidance of all & any killing...
    In exactly this way is this good bodily behavior purified in three respects!!!
    The question I have is: Why are # 2 and # 3 frowned upon?
  • seeker242 said:

to live, who does not wish to die; I desire happiness & do not like any suffering.
    If someone were to take my life, it would neither be pleasing nor agreeable to me.
    If I kill whatever another being: One who also wishes to live, who also does not
    wish to die, who also desires happiness & who also dislike suffering, that would
    What is displeasing and disagreeable to me, is also displeasing and disagreeable
    to any other being too. How can I inflict upon another being what is displeasing
    2: He/she will persuade others also to abstain from all destruction of any life...
    3: He/she will speak praising harmlessness and avoidance of all & any killing...

Because it is an extreme view. Foisting ones extreme views on others causes conflict, bad feelings, and is not right speech.
    RebeccaSMaryAnne
    robot said:

seeker242 said:

Because it is an extreme view. Foisting ones extreme views on others causes conflict, bad feelings, and is not right speech.

Was the Buddha making wrong speech when he said "do never kill or cause to kill"?

I agree with robot. Are you ok with Christians telling you what you should do with your life based on their beliefs, and their interpretation of the Bible and Jesus' teachings? Are you ok with Muslim extremists doing what they do because it's what they believe of their interpretation of their religion? I'm not. Everyone thinks they have the handle on what the ONE true way is on everything. There is no one true way. Everyone is on a different path to the same place. Some of us are alike in some ways in our beliefs, and some of us aren't. Any path anyone takes that is right for them, is the right path. That doesn't mean their path is right for you, or anyone else, and certainly not for everyone else. Christians shouldn't, IMO, throw out what Jesus says in favor of random verses, and Buddhists shouldn't throw out the N8FP in favor of random verses, either.

Basically telling someone "you are a problem and you are not a very good Buddhist if you eat meat" is judgement. I'm pretty sure the generations of Tibetan Buddhists who eat meat would disagree.
    RebeccaS
    edited October 2012
    karasti said:

Are you ok with Christians telling you what you should do with your life based on their beliefs, and their interpretation of the Bible and Jesus' teachings?

If my actions and beliefs cause massive and real harm to an entire species of animal, yes I am perfectly fine with this.
    Everyone thinks they have the handle on what the ONE true way is on everything. There is no one true way. Everyone is on a different path to the same place. Some of us are alike in some ways in our beliefs, and some of us aren't. Any path anyone takes that is right for them, is the right path. That doesn't mean their path is right for you, or anyone else, and certainly not for everyone else.
    The problem is, it's not about you. It's about suffering animals. If you think you have the right to inflict or cause to inflict great suffering upon animals, simply because that's your way, you are mistaken. You don't have that right, regardless of what your beliefs are. If you don't like people pointing that out, well, that is not going to stop them from pointing it out, nor should it.
    Any path anyone takes that is right for them, is the right path.
    If that is the case, then the path of a murder/rapist is the right path for them as well, and we should just say nothing about it? Not exactly.

As soon as "your path" starts causing great harm to others, then you should not be surprised when someone says something about it... It's not about "your path" or "my path", it's about causing harm to others, which you have no right to do.

Jeffrey
  • seeker242 said:

robot said:

seeker242 said:

Was the Buddha making wrong speech when he said "do never kill or cause to kill"?

No, but it is not relevant in every case. For example:
    I live half a mile from the local First Nations village. I know a number of the residents there personally.
    Now, anyone can see what has happened to these people as a result of adopting or attempting to adopt a western diet. You can see obesity, diabetes and a whole range of other illnesses that were not natural to them.
    Many of the people are poor and can hardly afford to buy expensive imported vegetables in the amount that would be require to raise a healthy family. In any case, why would they want to? They are a fish eating people. It worked for thousands of years till we came along.
    When I talk to my fishing friends from down there it is about fishing not converting to a veggie diet. I wouldn't have any friends around here if I tried to convert them to vegetarianism or anything else for that matter.
    Jeffrey
    Aside from the fact you missed the entire point of my post, @seeker, what exactly do you purport people to do who cannot live a vegetarian lifestyle? And how do you get around the fact that sometimes living such a lifestyle can be just as, or more harmful to the planet as a whole, and plenty of other species? You say it's about intention, and I happen to think people can eat meat with good intention and respect for life. I also think that just because someone pretends that their lifestyle is better than another does not make it so. They are just choosing to believe their intentions do not cause harm, even though they do. There is no way to get around the fact that just humans being a live, causes the deaths of innumerable creatures every single day. The best we can do is to minimize that and still stay alive, and where I live, it is not doable for us to be vegetarian and still afford to pay our mortgage. We do our best, as do most people.

I don't constantly point out to vegetarian that unless they are 100% self-sustaining the constant transport of their food is damaging the environment, and that animals lose habitat and die so more and more acreage can be bought to plant farmland. I don't point out than when you avoid buying leather, that means you are likely buying footwear made of chemicals that is bad for the environment and causing the destruction of the DNA of living beings and contributing to disease around the world. Why? because I trust they are doing the best they can with the best of intentions. Just like I am. I can guarantee you that if someone hunts and 100% supplies their family with meat they will eat and furs they can use, that they are doing far, far far less damage to the species of animals on the planet than someone who goes to Whole Foods to buy their organic vegetables.
    Jeffrey
    edited October 2012
    You missed the whole point of my post. One does not have a right to live a lifestyle that infringes on the rights of others.... As soon as "your way" begins to cause harm to others, unnecessarily. You cease having a right to live that way... For the majority of people who eat meat in the modern world, it is not necessary... No, people will not be silent about that, no matter how much you want them to be, it just isn't going to happen, nor should it.

Patr
    When you continue to attempt to force your belief on others, you are being a bully.
    RebeccaS
    edited October 2012
    vinlyn said:

When you continue to attempt to force your belief on others, you are being a bully.

The people who wanted to keep human slavery, said the same thing... How is it any different regarding animal slavery? It's not. Enslaving and killing animals, because it tastes good, is what is called "being a bully".

Patr
    Personally, I suggest that a moderator step in and close this thread. It's "here we go again" all over again.
    Stop calling people bullys and perhaps they would not need to?
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    If an omnivorous alien species were to land tomorrow, intent on making us lunch... I'd wish a few of them to think like @seeker242...
    PrairieGhosttmottesArthurbodhiDavid
  • No subject causes as much controversy on Buddhist dicussion boards as that of vegetarianism. I think there should be a separate forum specifically for it.