Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Family Members as Guru

I found an account of the life of the female practitioner, Mayum Kunsang Dechen, consort of Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, written by her son, Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche.

In it were several observations I found interesting, on the subject of family members as guru:

"My mother was very lucky to take teachings from my father, Tulku Urgyen, and especially from His Holiness, the 16th Karmapa. From the Second Jamgon Kongtrul, named Palden Khyentse Oser, she received many different kinds of teachings, oral transmissions, and initiations and, in particular, mind teachings."

And towards the end,

"Previously, my mother had always been 'my mother.' I loved her and respected the fact that she was a good practitioner. But I never really thought of her as having a very high mind. Maybe this is a sign of male pride or the pride of being a son. But since her illness manifested, her behavior, the things she spoke about, the teachings she gave in just a few words - everything touched our hearts. It instilled such deep devotion in me that I started to feel this is not only my mother, but my Guru. I learned a lot. The experience has helped my own spiritual development, experience, and realization. Now, I'm happy to have a female guru."
Zero

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Gratitude for the teaching I received.
    lobster
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    If I can be kind to Statues and bow to offerings and yet the real jewels of being are beyond my patience, capacity and endurance - what kind of practice is that?
    Never underestimate the real source of practice . . .

Be kind guys. You know it makes sense. :wave:
  • That is the Vajrayana tradition. It is a complete path which is consistent to itself and which yields extraordinary results for those to whom it is suited.
    Practice it or dont. But dont just make flippant remarks about it.
    You just make yourself look foolish.
    lobster
  • Passive/ aggressive lol's dont cut it either.
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    Then have me as a precious jewel as an example to us foolish passive-aggressives . . .
    http://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-masters/geshe-langri-thangpa/eight-verses-training-mind
    How do you judge your success so far?