Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Getting in shape. I needs some tips.

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
I lost a bunch of weight over the last two years and I now want to tone my body. There is just one problem: I'm REALLY lazy. -_-

So A.) How can I motivate myself to actually work out and B.) I don't want to muscular, just flat and toned. What are some good exercises to build some lean build without having big muscles?
still_learning

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    A) The motivation is a tough one....my buddhist teacher made the point that the only way you will generally keep up exercise is if you are doing it for the purpose of helping others i.e. if I am healthy mentally and physically I can be of help to more sentient beings than if I am unfit and unhealthy. I think he has a point to some degree. Self motivation will generally only keep you going for a certain amount of time.

B) Sounds like you want to do some cardio more than weight training. Swimming and riding (exercise bike is fine) are excellent ways to burn calories. I used to run a lot but my knees have started to play up so I've cut right back on that.

Let me know how you get on @DaftChris? I have just re-started a riding / swimming / weights regime after 6 months of doing nothing and putting on weight. Maybe we can help motivate each other :)
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    The buddha said:

"If you have only effort you have all attainments,
    But if you have only laziness you have nothing."
  • Effort wid wisdom dat is!
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Follow a program. I run and recommend the couch to 5k program; it starts you off gently. Most folk start running and beast themselves silly, getting injuries 'n' stuff; it's disheartening and they give it up as a bad idea. So go slowly, be patient, and set small targets like a 5k race. If you're in the the UK google for Parkrun events; they're free and ran all over the UK (and abroad too).

Once you run a 5k competently, go for a 10K - do a few of them - then do a half marathon, etc.

Like anything, with consistent applied effort, the law of gradual progression will mean you will get where you would like to be (or in the approximate area anyway).

I also find something deeply spiritual about running; it's all about working with our minds; making ourselves do the stuff we don't want to do, but know we should be doing. I have read somewhere that the measure of our spirituality is having the capacity to do the things we don't want to do.

"Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter either. Then will power will be no problem"

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical."

I dunno who said the above quotes, but they're quite 'Buddhist' I think.
  • :clap:

Well I did the couch to 5k last year, not easy, still got injuries, I got up to 30 mins running but not for the lazy . . .

You could get a wii fit - I have one, lot of variety and nothing too strenuous to start with. Ipad and android apps available. youtube routines . . .
    How about swimming. Or walking, you will have to do lama speed walking . . . for aerobic action . . .
    Exercise bike whilst eating popcorn and watching TV?

The easiest is Qi ong and taichi - designed for lazy octanarians and over, should suit you fine . . .

My god, you really are lazy, we even have to sort out an exercise routine for you . . .
    How about a martial art, that will cure the laziness . . . :aol:

:clap:
    FullCircle
  • DaftChris, do you meditate regularly?
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    DaftChris said:

I'm REALLY lazy. -_-

A.) How can I motivate myself to actually work out and
    B.) I don't want to muscular, just flat and toned.
    What are some good exercises to build some lean build without having big muscles?

You're not lazy - you just rarely choose the path that will bring you what you want.

A) Resolve the power struggle in your mind - who is running the show?

A pragmatic way may be to invest in it - sign up to the gym and a personal trainer - it may force you to change habits.

B) Weight training can still be good - as a beginner you would not build significant muscle - it will tone you and burn calories and boost your metabolism considerably - cardio is also good but less calorie burn and less of a boost of metabolism, probably better for your heart though.

Look over some weight training forums - lots of people post routines and tips etc plus general nutrition and fitness advice.
  • The whole "toning" thing is nonsense. All muscle is toned, that's its nature. Whether you appear toned or not depends on how much fat you have covering the muscle.

You need to burn more fat, and what you really want to do to burn fat is build muscle. Weight training is your friend here.
  • I am also a big fan of weight training but, it can be a little much for people sometimes. What I've been doing lately is once or twice a week, I run my errands by bicycle and backpack rather than car.. after a few months of this, it only takes a little longer than driving, and it'll rev up your metabolism nicely. I also enjoy jogging with an mp3 player. good luck, and congrats on losing the weight you have! I know it's not easy!
  • What has worked best for me is to engage in something you really love to do. For me, it's xc skiing and biking.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    your diet is a HUGE factor in contributing to your energy. Stop eating sugar. you can still have sugar in fruit and in a very limited carbohydrate intake, but cut out all refined sugars and anyt type of sugar that has a hyphen in it's name or a "rose" suffix. And get excercise. Bike riding is one of the best ways because it has less negative impact on your joints.

And think of it this way: If you exercise for 1/2 hour a day, the other 23 1/2 hours of the day will be better. That's a promise. It's not about how you look.... its about how you feel. exercise makes you feel good. Period. That's the truth. Maybe it should be the 5th noble truth...... no, wait a second, that's going too far. But I still stand by my promise. It will make you feel better and you will also have more energy because of it. And congrats on the weight loss.... now use it to feel healthy!
    BunkslobsterFullCircle
  • Beyond a work-out at the gym, any movement counts as exercise. You ever get on your hands and knees and scrub a floor? You'll be sweating like a pig before you know it :lol:

And like Beej said, diet is hugely important, and sugar is the main culprit when it comes to fat.

But people do need to let go of this popular "toning" idea. It's completely misleading. That and "spot exercises". It's all bologna.
  • Tip: Don't be lazy.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I know this is old but I wanted to add something. People who get big muscles, work REALLY REALLY hard for them. They don't happen by accident just because you pick up some weights. You have to work heavy, and hard, for long periods of time to put on even 10 pounds of muscle. It is very difficult and requires a lot of dedication, so since this is not what you want, don't worry about it. You have to lift weights, strength training will burn fat faster (because your body burns more calories 24 hours day when you strength train) and it's very important for posture and bone health later in life. Even if all you do is body weight exercises, it'll be very effective (push ups, pull ups, chair dips, etc) The saying goes "muscle burns fat." That's not really true, the the effect is there. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. People who have "toned" bodies, still lift weights, they just do more reps with lower weights than a few reps with really heavy weights.

Not only is sugar bad, but anythin high on the GI index will increase the fat your body stores. Potatoes, high sugar fruits like bananas and mangoes, anything processed and anything made of processed grain (waffles, pancakes, white bread, pastries, rice, bagels, etc etc) will all contribute greatly to excess fat. 80% of how you look, comes from the kitchen.
    DaftChris
  • Sugar high is sooo fun though. My meds make my cells uptake sugar more slowly and I feel hungry all day even if I have eaten. So once or twice a week I go for coffee with my dad and eat a chocolate chip cookie. With the caffeine and sugar it's the best I feel all week. You know, it's kind of a stable minor indulgence that is ritualistic and self-limiting (I can't go with my dad for coffee 3x a day). That might be a good tactic to having moderation; I never thought of that.
  • Well, if you're really lazy, then you're doooooooooooo *deep breath* oooooooooomed. j/k.

I keep hearing that it all starts in your head, so if you don't want to exercise,then it's kinda useless.

I've been trying to get in shape as well. What's been helping me is that I make my routine simple so it's easier to keep it going.

Looking in the mirror helps me too. I look disgusting now. My belly is way too big for my small frame. I looks really weird.

Also, I enjoy eating, but that hasn't been enjoyable lately because I've been getting gas/bloating and heartburn much more easily. Takes some the joy out of eating for me.

• I found this video quite inspiring when I first started running:

Jeffrey
    I have a motivation problem too, so I'm not help there. I love, love, love to workout. I like to run, I like to do yoga, I love to lift weights, and I do other things, too. I even made a gym in my garage. However, getting my butt down the stairs is the hardest part for me. Once I am there, I'm set. Getting there is 100% of the battle for me, and I have no idea why. I have the easiest time with running because I enjoy being outside so much, but I'm too picky to succeed well at it. I don't like to run in the rain because my feet get soaked, and I don't like to run when it's icy and -20F out, which is half the year here, so, i am a fickle runner, lol. I enjoy it on perfect weather days from May to September.
  • @karasti, where I am it is not as cold maybe 20s F in winter but in the summer it is hotter than I like to run around in. Not bad actually compared to florida where I used to live. There it was 90s with 90% humidity. You could smell the plants in such heat. Where I am now it is 75 with 80% humidity in the summer.
    I love the smell of plants like that! But yeah I wouldn't want to run in it, or live in it, either. We don't get much humidity here in the summer, we top out around 85, maybe a couple days of 90. But it's pretty short. Our average temp in May is still in the 50s and we're back into the 50s by September. Right now we're having nights and mornings in the teens, and even that is getting questionable for me to run in, lol. My son is on the ski team, and they started practice this week (no snow yet but they do dry land practices) and he runs in a tshirt at practice. No thank you.

• DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited November 2012
    I registered for my Spring semester and it is required that we have a couple of activity classes. So I chose weight lifting.

Maybe that will be a good start? :p
    still_learning
    Definitely will be! My son is taking weight lifting this term too, he has to come up with his own plan and everything. Good luck! I hope you enjoy it and develop more motivation to continue. If you learn the trick to motivation, please share it ;)
  • I recall either a meditator or a cyclist shared a nice trick to motivation.

Question: how do you get motivated to meditate?

Answer: by meditating.

Simple, huh?
    still_learning
    lol yeah, but for working out, it doesn't work for me. I had to make myself meditate in the beginning, now I enjoy it and look forward to it. Working out is another story, and I have been working out 5-6 days a week for 2 years.
    Jeffrey
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited November 2012
    I caught the 'running bug' about 18 months ago; though to begin with it was very tough. My fitness was naff after years of alcohol abuse and chain smoking.

I really enjoy it now - okay I'll rephrase that - sometimes I really enjoy it. This evening I ran 11 miles easy; I enjoyed that. And on Saturday I'm doing my 2nd 20 mile run; I'm training for a marathon in January - my first.

I try to meditate on the run, but unfortunately it's more like a few snatches of mindfulness.

The feeling of stopping is lovely; after I've been running for a few hours - to just stop and 'be present' is sublime. That's the bit I love.
    Jeffrey
  • Jeffrey said:

I recall either a meditator or a cyclist shared a nice trick to motivation.

Question: how do you get motivated to meditate?

Answer: by meditating.

Simple, huh?

Reminds of:

"Do, or do not. There is no try."
  • Yoga! I do mostly gentle, relaxing yoga, but there are a ton of different styles out there that focus more on building lean muscle and keeping your heart rate elevated. The ashtanga series is a great pose sequence to work towards completing.

In addition, yoga helps increase mindful awareness of bodily sensations. It can be great moving meditation.
  • Hi

Me and you both mate. Like others have said, yes its good to work out, but all that will do nothing if have your fish and chips washed down with a special brew at the weekend. So think of the good fats, the poly unsats, the good low GI foods for your complex carbs, and your protien. I would advise against the high protien low carbdeit, your only end up depleting all your stored sugars and feel like crap. BAlanced is the key word, and vitamins an dminerals, theres no point in eating all the right amounts of carbs, protiens an dfats if theres no vitamins and minerals to turn these into engergy and do repair and biochemistry work in your body. Also recover days, by all means work out hard, but your actaull fitness is mainly gained in the days you rest, thats when all the stuff behind the scenes goes on. Exercise should be kepy vary as well, i know people that can run 15 miles really easy, but cant do 3 press-ups, you know what i mean, most of all be patient, dont be hard on yoursel fif you dont see changes in a month, it will come but takes time , have fun and enjoy it, that way your keep it up.
  • I think @karasti has summed up my own views on this.
    I started with weight and resistance machine training at my gym 2 years ago and it is one of the best things I ever did. I'm 46 and in better shape than I was 20 years ago. Not only does it help fitness but I feel much more positive and confident too.
    With regards motivation my gym is wonderful. They have a policy of discouraging solo workouts and they always have an organised session running, with a trainer and around 5 or 6 members - all included in the membership cost. The trainers help with motivation, the banter makes things more fun. Having a trainer with you helps to avoid injury but also they push you harder than you would tend to push yourself, with better results. Every 8 weeks we get a health check (weighed, measured and given dietary advice to keep us on track).
    Being a rather shy person I was initially terrified of this way of working and thought I'd prefer to join the "ipod and thousand-yard-stare, no interaction" style of anonymous chain gym. I was wrong - whilst I felt awkward at first I have made many friends at this gym and actually look forward to going, so motivation does not become an issue.